Author Topic: Looking for TENKEYLESS MAC KEYBOARD that is NOT MECHNICAL  (Read 3987 times)

Offline robodean

Looking for TENKEYLESS MAC KEYBOARD that is NOT MECHNICAL
« on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 08:13:50 »
Apparently I am the only one in the world who does not covet a mechanical keyboard.
Call me nutty, but I love the slim Apple aluminum keyboard.
BUT - I really need a tenkeyless version, with dedicated arrows keys (not tiny ones squished under the shift key)
A proper, slim, non-mechanical, tenkeyless mac keyboard.

help?

Offline Findecanor

Re: Looking for TENKEYLESS MAC KEYBOARD that is NOT MECHNICAL
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 09:10:13 »
Apple's aluminium keyboards (gen prior to the "Magic") are liked by many people, including mechanical keyboard enthusiasts here. :)

Tenkeyless low-profile is quite unusual unfortunately. People do ask for them now and then. I have seen only one that was bundled with a Samsung PC.
The so called 75% layout is more common among low-profile, but those are disappearing in favour of those squished arrow keys you mention...

Have you considered the Microsoft Sculpt keyboard? It is a ergonomic keyboard that is raised in the middle but it is at least somewhat compact in width. The Alt keys can be mapped to Command in MacOS' settings.
I have only tried it once, but liked how it felt.

There are also recent lower-profile mechanical in tenkeyless form factor but they are nothing like regular Apple aluminium in key feel.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 21:05:02 »
The Apple keyboards feel nice, but besides the price, they are extremely fragile. Recycle centers are loaded with broken ones and frankly, other than an Apple authorized reseller in store display areas, I've never seen one that wasn't damaged in some way. Even looking Ebay, they are loaded with damaged ones.

I'm not aware of any decent traditional tkl format rubber dome.
Normally I would recommend a Logitech Illumined scissor, but they don't have one either. The one compact with normal buttons is the K400, but I reviewed that and I thought it was GARBAGE (rubber dome, and a bad one at that). Worse, for the cost of many of these, you can just buy a compact mechanical.
Check out the Logitech Illuminated line, which uses their scissor switches, while not a traditional tkl format, they do have compact models and the switches are considered some of the best scissor switches you can get.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Riverman

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 12:28:01 »
I doubt such a thing exists, especially outside of the mechanical world.  The Mistel Sleeker would be perfect if you wanted a mechanical keyboard, since it's tenkeyless, Mac-specific, and even has an aluminum case that's a reasonable match for Macs, even though it's brushed instead of sandblasted.  The closest you might be able to find is Apple's own Bluetooth keyboard.  It's a tenkeyless model, but it does have the arrows squished under the shift key.  They are in a proper inverted-T format, at least, so it could be worse.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 26 September 2018, 15:36:40 »
Ha! I saw in another thread that the Samsung keyboard I mentioned above has been sold separately. Difficult to find it for sale anywhere though ...

I doubt such a thing exists, especially outside of the mechanical world.
There have been lots of tenkeyless PC keyboards that are not mechanical, but either not compact or not low-profile.
Every PC keyboard can also be used on a Mac: the Windows key is Command and the Alt keys are Option, and you can swap the logical interpretation of those two keys either in MacOS, or on newer keyboards: on the keyboard itself via a DIP switch or key combination.

The Logitech DiNovo Edge is low-profile and was sold in a Mac edition... ten years ago, and is technically tenkeyless but far from compact. If you get one today, the battery and rubber trim would have deteriorated. They had on mine (PC version) that I got two years ago.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 08:15:48 »
http://www.keytron.net/

I saw this on Instagram ad LOL it's mechanical but it's slim and otherwise fit the bill, could take a look.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 12:07:21 »
Matias has a range of tenkeyless scissor-switch keyboards now!
Silver or black, wired/bluetooth, Mac/PC, RGB backlit/descent, but not all combinations.

* US and Canada: Matias
* UK: The Keyboard Company
* Germany: MacLand
* Singapore: MacShop
* Australia: Weston Tech
* Japan: Diatec
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 May 2019, 12:18:57 by Findecanor »

Offline swedishpiehole

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 12:23:46 »
Looks like the Matias ones in the previous post would fit the bill perfectly. Another option you might want to look at is this Logitech: https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/k780-multi-device-wireless-keyboard?crid=27. It does have the smaller arrow keys, but otherwise it fits all your criteria and it looks pretty slick.