Author Topic: Evo_Spec's Build/Mod log  (Read 154556 times)

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Evo_Spec's Build/Mod log
« on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 07:53:11 »
Hey guys, just figured I'd make a work log of all the projects i do from the beginning on my keyboard....career thingy till whenever, to keep a track of the things i've done during now and possibly in a year or 10 years or never. we'll see.

Corsair K95

DTA 2014 Limited Edition GON NerD TKL Ver2.0

**I've updated the worklog with drop down menu's so that it's easier to navigate, saves scrolling, and limited bandwidth users don't get raped every time they visit the thread.**
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 05:33:57 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Evo_Spec's Build/Mod log
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 07:58:33 »
Corsair K95

Changing the Cherry MX Red switches to Blue (mostly) *Dec 19th 2014*

More
Technically speaking my first mods were G710+ o-rings that my friend gave me cause he didn't like them and then LPWL thick clear o-rings but that's not really interesting so i'll just go with the big mod of the switching the switches. Although since i mentioned them i did really enjoy the thick LPWL o-rings on the reds but i only used it for a week before doing this.
Sorry for the horrible instagram pic, i deleted the original off my phone.

So the reason i even decided to do this is because i knew i was going to be getting a red switched TKL for gaming in the near future because the distance between the keyboard and mouse hand has started to bother me during my gaming sessions where as it never used to. I love the red switches for gaming but i make a lot of typing mistakes with them and I used to have a 2013 Razer BlackWidow and i really enjoyed typing on the MX blues on it so i knew i'd have to have a blue switched board for the daily and a red switched TKL for gaming.
The reason i decided to do it on this specific board is mainly because i already had it but also because i do actually like this keyboard and plan to keep it for a daily driver for a while because i enjoy the features like the dedicated media keys, volume wheel, windows key lock button and the G keys are nice for program shortcuts, hot keys, and to type out emails and such.

So with all this decided i3oilermaker (techkeys) had a large batch finicky switches he got stuck with from a bad supplier and decided to unload them at a crazy price so i knew it was time to finally do this, they needed some TLC but i'm unemployed so i have the time to do it.
So i'm not sure what was up with these switches but it there was some gunk/lube on the sliders & contact leaf that had to be wiped off but it wasn't giving the satisfying clicked i remembered having on the BW so i bent the leafs a little bit too and that did the trick.

When i finally get around to editing and uploading the video i'll be posting a detailed video on how to tear down a K95, it'll probably help if you guys bug me about it since i have no real motivation to do it right now.

So after it's all apart you get to the tedious task of soldering, now i don't know if it's because of the $4 soldering iron i got at Daiso or my noob soldering skills or what but at least half of the joints i desoldered had a tiny part still attached that i either needed to push off with a screw driver or use the soldering iron to push it off the side while i hold the pin away from the sides so this ended up taking a lot of time and if i ever get into desoldering more than another whole board I'm definitely buying a desoldering gun or something.

i didn't take any pictures here but here's the PCB completely off, i took it off completely because i wanted to put Black tape on the PCB where it's visible through the space bar stabilizer slot.

Sorry my focus is off here, i was tired.

Here's the separated plate as well, kind neat how you can see the machining marks on the back.

And here's the reason i had to do 16 extra soldering/desoldering joints....

Not really happy about this part cause the tape ended up not being long enough to cover the part i wanted it to so i had to use tweezers to more and fit in more tape to cover up the PCB.
Before (notice around the left stabilizer part but there was more exposed)

After

So after getting the board soldered back together i tested it with Aqua key test to test my board before i put it back into the case and my "G" and numpad "4" keys did not work so i checked the solder joints and they looked fine but i reflowed them and tried again and nothing, so i checked the traces and they looked fine so i just switched out the switches and it worked! i inspected the 2 switches and it turned out that i bent the leafs weird so the crosspoints didn't touch.

I added some foam to the bottom of the case, "because i could" but i realize now that i haven't had a problem with pinging like i used to but that could also be due to changing the switches too, who knows. I may also end up adding some lead weights because there's a bit of room on the topside of the case.
Keep in mind if you're going to do this that the contact pads for sister board for the media keys and such rely on the pressure between the top plate and bottom case on the silicone pads so you don't want to add too much foam here or it may cause the medias not to function.

And here here it is back together, without caps. I kept the arrow keys red just because, same with the few G-keys.

So that's it for the K95! I'm typing on it now and the blue switches are just as lovely as i remembered them being.
Thanks for joining me on this journey, here's some artsy photo's!

Keycap Update! *Jan 9th 2015*

More
So i had a trip to Taiwan and my wife convinced me to pick up a set of caps while i was there =D
When i had gotten home though my CnC set from MD had arrived as well and well i like grey more than cream white =)
I realize some of the LED's are dead on the G-Key section, i'll either replace them or be doing a sip socket mod there when i'm not so lazy.

Forgot to mention that i used the 1.5 tab key for the CTRL key and used the 1.25 Fn key for tab since i use it less often and it bothers me less than the space on the bottom row.

Now i have a set of blue/white and i'm not sure what i'm gonna do with it, maybe sell it or use it on my GON or put this green set on the GON and the b/w set on this K95. we'll see.

LED Fix update *Jan 11th 2015*

More
So you may have noticed on some of the older pictures that some of the LED's on the G-key section burnt out and i have a couple of extra 2x3x4 led's i got for the GON so i figured i'd replace them today.
Now i need around 90 LED's for my GON and only have a pack of 100 so instead of doing all 18 i just did the top 6 and moved around a couple of the stock LED's in case the brightness was different.

I always seem to forget to take pictures of the process..... so here's the end product.
Also note that the 2x3x4 is a little dimmer but at the same time more even where as the regular flange-less 3mm LED's have a hotspot in the middle and is very noticeably darker near the bottom of the numbers.
**after looking at it i notice that it doesn't really come through on the photo's since i had a long exposure time to make up for that....

Here's the different led's

Dark shot

And i was experimenting with sip socket stuff getting ready for the GON so i threw them into one switch, yeah...just one....

And that's it for that!
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 05:37:52 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 07:58:46 »
DTA 2014 Limited Edition GON NerD TKL Ver2.0

Parts
LED's and SIP sockets arrive *Jan 7th ish*
More
The GON parts should be coming (around) march 2015
Got the White LED's (might get purple/pink too) and SIP sockets in the mail. (Jan 7th ish)

GON Parts arrive! *March 23rd*
More
At some random point between Jan-Mar i clipped the LED legs to length, i forgot because i would do them little bits by bits while i was watching movies and other random activities.

I kinda forgot the timeline since i never updated this right away but IIRC it was about March 25th that the parts arrived from GON, i wish i took a picture here but i was just so excited about my GON arriving that i just busted the box open. oh right! i guess i kind of did because i took pics of the PCB about that time so if i check my history it tells me that my parts arrived March 23rd.

I guess i'll just photo dump those here!

I can't believe he does this stuff by hand man!

Man this case is awesome....

So since i was soon leaving to another city for work for a while i decided that i would do the build there since i would be away from my family and with limited money for the first while so it'd be a great thing to distract me from missing my family or going out and spending money.

Worklog
Cut SIP plastic socket shroud *Jan 16th*
More
Might be kind of ridiculous but I'm a perfectionist (until i get fed up/lazy -_-) and i wanted the sockets to hold themselves in place rather than me having to align them with an LED before soldering so i went through the work of cutting one side of the plastic on the SIP socket shrouds so they'd be out of the way of this weird lip. (might have worked out for the best since i don't have something to hold the PCB up off the table) (*update*for some reason i wasn't thinking of just cutting the LED's to length and using the uncut LED's to align it.....)

I probably wouldn't do it again...

(Now that i think about it a little more it was kind of stupid since i could just pop in the LED's to hold the SIP sockets while i'm already there lubing, stickering, and closing the switches to fully assemble them and not have to solder everything and then flip it back over to install just the LED's)

* I ended up just clipping these out of the plastic shroud completely since it just works better without the shroud, i wasted so much time here lol

Unfortunately from here I have a lot less pictures here than i would have liked since i always seem to forget to take them when i'm concentrating....

Switch stickers and SIP sockets! *April 2nd-5th*
More
Giving a general timeline it was about this time that i did the switches, I did them very slowly since i was in no rush to finish since i had to caps nor a computer to use the board with when i finished it anyways.
Also i unfortunately had a lot of issues with customs getting the lube from BunnyLake from the advent giveaway and i really didn't feel like trying to get lube from another source just to maybe still not be able to get it past customs so i ended up just skipping on the lube completely which is really unfortunate but i'm kinda glad too because i didn't have to do the tedious switch lubing process XD

This was my work station for the build. Listening to some music with my AKG Q701's powered by a FiiO E07K from my Nexus 5.

Phew! even just stickers and SIP sockets is hard work.....

ALL DONE!!!!!

I accidentally pulled off an extra sticker so i snuck in a random blue switch lol

Kinda sucks to do all this work and not lube the switches but i guess there's always a next time.

PHOTOGRAPHY BREAK!!!!
More

There was actually some work done here by clipping the cherry stabs but i literally took no photo's of that....

Bottom SMD LED's *April 5th*
More
Alright..... time to do bottom SMD LED's.....wish me luck..... (sorry for the potato pic, i was actually taking this to show my co-workers how small they are)

All done! looking back at LPWL's pics of GON's soldering work, i definitely put on too much solder but i'm too lazy to go back in and fix it unless it becomes a problem.

Switch Soldering and Finish! *April 6th*
More
So unfortunately with the switch soldering time it literally never crossed my mind to take photo's so i didn't take these till i was done.

So i'm not sure why but my entire navigation keys area was like this, I think the plate was cut weird and don't think it was the PCB because i tried very hard to fix them with the exact same results.

Whatever! i'll never notice it once the top piece and the caps are on.

Well! It's done!
I wanted to see what it would look like without the top plate on and just the "floating" switches.

And here it is with the top plate on!

The bottom.

Obligatory artsy shot!

And here's a photo shot just to bring the quality down a peg.

Ducky PBT CCnG keys! *May 4th*
More

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 May 2015, 05:29:21 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 07:59:30 »
Reserved for future builds
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:12:03 »
A naked board with switches but no keycaps probably shouldn't excite me as much as this one does :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 20:51:27 »
A naked board with switches but no keycaps probably shouldn't excite me as much as this one does :))
I'm glad it's not just me, i got all excited and that's why i took a pic XD
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Joebroniee

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 15:18:38 »
this is sexy ;)

anyplans for keycaps? how are you going to overcome the weird spacing for the bottom row? Interview status!

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 13:01:35 »
this is sexy ;)

anyplans for keycaps? how are you going to overcome the weird spacing for the bottom row? Interview status!
I'm in Taiwan right now and picked something special up, I'll keep you guessing what it is till I get home.

As for spacing I'm probably gonna do some werid **** that'll look weird but feel good or I dunno. I'll see.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:21:43 »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:52:28 »
The blue/white set looks surprisingly nice.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 00:27:47 »

I definitely don't dislike it, i might put some blue LED's on my GON to match up with the keys since i think the white keys would look nice on the translucent white case. Would like to see it on LastPilot's board =P
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 00:28:58 »

I definitely don't dislike it, i might put some blue LED's on my GON to match up with the keys since i think the white keys would look nice on the translucent white case. Would like to see it on LastPilot's board =P
What GON do you have, do you have pictures of it?

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 03:34:53 »

I don't have it yet, i ordered the limited edition 2014 DTA award NerD TKL Ver2.0 PCB /w Full SMT board from GON, should be in my hands by march.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:39:39 »

I don't have it yet, i ordered the limited edition 2014 DTA award NerD TKL Ver2.0 PCB /w Full SMT board from GON, should be in my hands by march.
What is special about the board? I was going to order one originally, but I found I like the winkeyless boards more.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:47:08 »

What is special about the board? I was going to order one originally, but I found I like the winkeyless boards more.

nothing really...it's going to get a custom DTA award stamp on it or something XD
But more importantly for me since i don't have a fancy Hakko FX-888 and only a $4 soldering iron the SMT soldering is being done for free from GON so that's my main reason for it, saves me from soldering xxx solder joints.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 08:48:33 »

nothing really...it's going to get a custom DTA award stamp on it or something XD
But more importantly for me since i don't have a fancy Hakko FX-888 and only a $4 soldering iron the SMT soldering is being done for free from GON so that's my main reason for it, saves me from soldering xxx solder joints.
Even with the proper equipment, I wouldn't try SMD, the only way I would do it is with solder paste and a heat gun.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:02:26 »
More

Even with the proper equipment, I wouldn't try SMD, the only way I would do it is with solder paste and a heat gun.
But GON makes it look SO ESEY! 
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:04:07 »
More

Oh wow, I had no clue you could do them like that. I have only seen videos where they try to awkwardly swap out the solder iron, tweezers, and smd component.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 09:14:44 »
More

Oh wow, I had no clue you could do them like that. I have only seen videos where they try to awkwardly swap out the solder iron, tweezers, and smd component.

That's why he's making the big bucks lol
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Joebroniee

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:54:50 »
yo evo! get a custom spacebar man, i was surfing through the forums and found this, might be to your best interest

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2509509/blank-spacebar-keycap-6-5x.html

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 03:25:39 »
yo evo! get a custom spacebar man, i was surfing through the forums and found this, might be to your best interest

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2509509/blank-spacebar-keycap-6-5x.html

Thanks for the heads up but it's like $38 to my door so i'll pass on that.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Joebroniee

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 05:32:51 »
start a fundraiser, ahaha i got $2 on it

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 05:50:12 »
start a fundraiser, ahaha i got $2 on it

Hahaha, thanks for the offer man but i've already got a lot from this community, i need to give back first!

I got a tiny update coming soon, just need to process these photo's
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 07:02:14 »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 13:31:55 »
I just found your build log !

That's really great.

Did you ask GON to solder the side LEDs for you too ?

If so, which color did you choose ?

:p

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 18:18:03 »
I just found your build log !

That's really great.

Did you ask GON to solder the side LEDs for you too ?

If so, which color did you choose ?

:p

Thanks!!

No i didn't request him to but i did order some LED's from him which i'll solder myself. unless he happens to do it free of charge but he's doing all the other SMD diodes for free because of the DTA edition promotion so i don't know why he'd do that.

I went with green since my Green/Grey PBT's will be going on that board.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 18:57:58 »
Okay !

I'm not sure in which color these limited DTA award stamped PCB will come : green, black, white ...

Do you have any idea ?

GON is super (mega) busy right now and I don't want to disturb him for such detail  :p

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:25:12 »
Okay !

I'm not sure in which color these limited DTA award stamped PCB will come : green, black, white ...

Do you have any idea ?

GON is super (mega) busy right now and I don't want to disturb him for such detail  :p

I actually i have idea but i'm under the impression that it's a white PCB with silver stampings. not sure why now though...
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:03:52 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 April 2015, 12:12:58 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 May 2015, 05:38:54 »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline radish

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 22:46:27 »
the bigger the gob the better the job! :P nice pics sir!

LZ CP

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 23:16:07 »
the bigger the gob the better the job! :P nice pics sir!

Gob? Thanks!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 05:23:46 »
Jeez, those SMD LEDs sure are tiny...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 21 June 2015, 19:50:16 »
Jeez, those SMD LEDs sure are tiny...
They really are, we keep seeing macro shots of them so it's easy to forget/think they're not that small but once you have it in hand you realize lol.
That said, with a pair of tweezers they really weren't bad to do.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 21:06:22 »
Evo_Spec, that GON is awesome! Congratulations on completing it, looks like the hard work was totally worth it.

The soldering for your bottom SMD LED's looks really clean, even if it's more than what GON uses. I also had to use a lot of solder on the LED's  - mainly because they kept coming off when brushing the flux off with a medium toothbrush + 99% alcohol. Somehow your work looks prettier though! Seems really consistent in the photos. Standing up those led's gave me a really hard time I guess lololol.

Anyway yeah, I love how the board looks layered with different colors when it's lit up. Those last few shots you took of it are especially nice. :thumb:

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 July 2015, 23:47:32 »

Evo_Spec, that GON is awesome! Congratulations on completing it, looks like the hard work was totally worth it.

The soldering for your bottom SMD LED's looks really clean, even if it's more than what GON uses. I also had to use a lot of solder on the LED's  - mainly because they kept coming off when brushing the flux off with a medium toothbrush + 99% alcohol. Somehow your work looks prettier though! Seems really consistent in the photos. Standing up those led's gave me a really hard time I guess lololol.

Anyway yeah, I love how the board looks layered with different colors when it's lit up. Those last few shots you took of it are especially nice. :thumb:

I really wish I had some lube when I did the switches cause I love this board and will probably end up building another board lubed or even going as far as desoldering this board and lubing it.

Yeah I'm not sure why I put on as much solder as I did but it just felt right at the time. I still need to clean the flux off my PCB actually....

Thanks a lot for all the complements =D
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 07:46:40 »
Damn that's a really clean board, nicely done. How hard was putting it all together? I have yet to try to build my own board, but as time passes I want to do it more and more.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 18 July 2015, 09:43:47 »
Damn that's a really clean board, nicely done. How hard was putting it all together? I have yet to try to build my own board, but as time passes I want to do it more and more.

Thanks man! It was actually all really easy imo, just time consuming.
Personally i find that once you build your own board any other mass produced board just isn't appealing, especially if you compare them to custom boards.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 23 October 2015, 05:35:02 »
I wanted to ask you about the case does it feels sturdy?and do you choose the countersinking option? And btw great build and photo

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 08:55:21 »
I wanted to ask you about the case does it feels sturdy?and do you choose the countersinking option? And btw great build and photo

It was actually a little surprising how solid the case feels but it actually makes a lot of sense because it's solid pieces of acrylic with no cavities like normal cases.
Yes i did choose the countersink option although after seeing some peoples pictures i kinda like how it looks but i think the screws catching on my fingers from time to time would annoy me more.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition