Author Topic: [GB] Gateron Switch (CLOSED)  (Read 458355 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: [GB] Gateron Switches
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:15:00 »
Cross posted from /r/mechanicalkeyboards

Pardon my ignorance as I've never participated in a GB before, primarily because of the bad things I've heard, but you're doing the community a SOLID one and I'd like to contribute (by participating)...I was just wondering the following...

1. Have you ever done a GB before?
2. Are .24 and .16 the only price points? or are there prices in the middle?
3. Is the ship date to the GB participants? or from the factory to Shadovved?
4. When is payment taken/when will my card be charged?

Thanks in advance...
1. No , but Shadovved has lots of experience with these types of things and is a huge help
2. We're talking more to Gateron, but those are the only two we have so far, thought we may get more.
3. The ship date is an estimate of when Shadovved will be shipping them out.
4. Invoices will be sent in the week after the buy ends
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:23:12 »
And since all of these will be international orders technically, please include a name

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:25:04 »
And since all of these will be international orders technically, please include a name

Do we need phone numbers as well?

margo baggins, tlem, Eiji, Dvoryke, danwomansan, Lpwl, bigboij, Bricolage, Sygaldry, potatowire, rand, MichaelBrock, kulaan, Merloobi, Zeroo, pro_LAPSE, merkabish, Tajot, H4g3N, Jason_IRL, wlhlm, GenKaan, derzemel, crashthenet44, xmc, W, Wobbly Bot, dclaw, smellz, Jama, mondoman712, evera, AlexK6, pexon, sundin, swill, kraffs, dothm, nano, dashing_girlboy, jasimeii, zisb, ijack, FourOhFour, Kehrin, pasph, khsieh, Artonkn, Friskywhisker, foopod, Rafa_n, choiboi, joey, loke, nifty, BaroquenRecord, Mahwler, haggardwolf, Pieminister, kinglukas38, Mooksie, faceyourfaces (+ 2 Hidden) and 473 Guests are viewing this topic.

So uh, this buy seems a little popular LOL.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:27:24 »

Do we need phone numbers as well?
Yep

Offline Eiji

• Saa eins zwei drei.
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:28:17 »
Ordering 200 clears, lets hit that 20k!

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:30:09 »
ordered 740ish (can't remember exact amount)
I got boards.

Offline robinvuurdraak

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:31:42 »
Ordered 160 switches

Offline RavenII

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:33:37 »
Cross posted from /r/mechanicalkeyboards

Pardon my ignorance as I've never participated in a GB before, primarily because of the bad things I've heard, but you're doing the community a SOLID one and I'd like to contribute (by participating)...I was just wondering the following...

1. Have you ever done a GB before?
2. Are .24 and .16 the only price points? or are there prices in the middle?
3. Is the ship date to the GB participants? or from the factory to Shadovved?
4. When is payment taken/when will my card be charged?

Thanks in advance...
1. No , but Shadovved has lots of experience with these types of things and is a huge help
2. We're talking more to Gateron, but those are the only two we have so far, thought we may get more.
3. The ship date is an estimate of when Shadovved will be shipping them out.
4. Invoices will be sent in the week after the buy ends

1. I appreciate the honesty, the way I look at it is, you gotta start somewhere...here's hoping for a successful GB.
2. Good to know.
3. Also, good to know, I thought it was from the factory because it takes months sometimes to get stuff shipped from China.
4. Paypal??

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:37:20 »
I wonder if its worthwhile to offer only one type of linear switch so that we can get closer to that 20K price break? Basically meaning drop black and red and offer only blue, brown, and clear.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:38:45 »
I wonder if its worthwhile to offer only one type of linear switch so that we can get closer to that 20K price break? Basically meaning drop black and red and offer only blue, brown, and clear.

That's a pretty decent idea.
I got boards.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:38:58 »

But...I like the Blacks :(

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:46:04 »
Anyone knows how many is needed for a full sized keyboard?

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:48:06 »

104 ANSI, 105 ISO (some boards like ducky + 4 switches for above the numpad, and some boards like cougar attack + 13)
I got boards.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:50:56 »
Ps: I think I made two entires into the form if I did just use the second I don't think I did but I'm not 100% but the second should have the correct details sorry Hwood :X
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline MichaelBrock

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:55:27 »
Gaterons are PCB mount only, but they can be made into plate mount by clipping them!

What do you mean by clipping?

If you plate mount and the PCB doesn't have holes for the legs on the bottom of the switch housing you simply clip those two plastic legs off with a pair of cutters.

I don't want to belabor this question, but I always assumed that the the difference between "plate mount" and "pcb mount" was the legs on the bottom which are intended to key to the pcb and the presence of the little clips on the side which attach to the plate.  The discussion now makes me think that both types of switches have the little clips.  Is that true?     It never occurred to me that the little legs on the bottom would need to get cut off in a plate mount since they really wouldn't be getting the in way (except I guess for vertical height?).

I'm in the process of planning for my first build and I had been on the fence between cherry browns & clears but this GB has me fairly convinced to buy the Gateron browns.  I wish we had a little more feedback on how they compare to the cherry browns.

Michael
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:57:56 by MichaelBrock »

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 13:56:14 »

Ahhhh! Thanks for reminding! Resubmitting my form shortly.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:06:21 »
I don't want to belabor this question, but I always assumed that the the difference between "plate mount" and "pcb mount" was the legs on the bottom which are intended to key to the pcb and the presence of the little clips on the side which attach to the plate.  The discussion now makes me think that both types of switches have the little clips.  Is that true?     It never occurred to me that the little legs on the bottom would need to get cut off in a plate mount since they really wouldn't be getting the in way (except I guess for vertical height?).

I'm in the process of planning for my first build and I had been on the fence between cherry browns & clears but this GB has me fairly convinced to buy the Gateron browns.  I wish we had a little more feedback on how they compare to the cherry browns.

Michael

Plate and PCB mount switches are identical in every way, including the tension clips on the sides of the housing, with the exception of the legs on the bottom that can be clipped off.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:07:46 »

I didn't include a phone number, how do I go back to edit my form? Or should I submit another form?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:09:48 »

I didn't include a phone number, how do I go back to edit my form? Or should I submit another form?
Once I get back home I'll go through and pm everyone who needs more in their entry. But if you know you missed something you can PM the relevant info

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:11:52 »

That's a pretty decent idea.
Unless you want one of the linear gateron and don't plan to mod them.

And I think the price break is for the total of switches.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:13:36 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:18:44 »
Yeah, I don't know why blacks would be dropped in favor of clears. Who the hell can type on 35g linears??
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:21:02 »
Yeah, I don't know why blacks would be dropped in favor of clears. Who the hell can type on 35g linears??

Super blacks or bust  :p

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:21:46 »

It was mentioned here by hwood:

is the reduced price point at 20k per switch or total amount of orders?
20k for each switch

Offline margo baggins

• Dungeon Dweller
  • * Maker
  • Get back to work!
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:21:55 »
clears look DOPE though, just stick different springs in :D

I got loads of everything on my order form so I'm down for whatever :)  :thumb:
I got boards.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:25:34 »
clears look DOPE though, just stick different springs in :D

I got loads of everything on my order form so I'm down for whatever :)  :thumb:

That was my thought. I bought clears purely for aesthetic reasons. I figured most people were going to spring swap, I can't imagine trying to type on 35g linears.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:26:01 »

It was mentioned here by hwood:

is the reduced price point at 20k per switch or total amount of orders?
20k for each switch
Oh I missed this post.

Even if switches had to be dropped, Black should probably be the last one to drop. Best stock switch I had the opportunity to try.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:32:37 »
Awesome, will hop on it later after I decide what I want. Thanks for organizing this.  :thumb:

That was my thought. I bought clears purely for aesthetic reasons. I figured most people were going to spring swap, I can't imagine trying to type on 35g linears.

Indeed. In fact, the thing I am most interested in is the housing. :p

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:38:39 »
This is great! My only trouble is deciding what switches I want...probably blacks. :) I never liked Cherry linears...but these Gaterons are so smooth it is almost impossible to not like them.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:39:48 »
Is there a comparable stem to the mx Clear switch?

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:39:50 »
But they're translucent-ish!

Aesthetics are almost as important as feels (even if the stems are hidden under the keycaps)
null

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:42:43 »

I can
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:48:24 »

Once I get back home I'll go through and pm everyone who needs more in their entry. But if you know you missed something you can PM the relevant info

sounds good, I sent a PM because I also had to change my order around

Offline RavenII

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:54:21 »
Will there be updates on the number requested per switch?

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:10:44 »

104 ANSI, 105 ISO (some boards like ducky + 4 switches for above the numpad, and some boards like cougar attack + 13)
you should have a few extras as backups. zeal reported a ~4% failure rate (disclaimer: very small sample size) so it would be wise to have 4-5 extra switches for every 100 you plan to use

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:17:03 »

you should have a few extras as backups. zeal reported a ~4% failure rate (disclaimer: very small sample size) so it would be wise to have 4-5 extra switches for every 100 you plan to use

Not really "failure" rate as they still actuate. Just lower than the rest of the switches with some still within spec of ±0.6mm.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Rotaku

• Too Based
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:52:10 »
Just ordered 130 clears :)
Not toooo active on GH anymore, if you need me, shoot me a PM on Reddit! /u/IchibanXD

Offline RavenII

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:53:01 »
Another thing...are these coming in black housing or the milky white?

Offline honoka

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:53:56 »
350+ ordered. Yaay. Fudge massdrop.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:58:54 »
200 clears, will probably be ordering 100 blacks to try them out.

Offline Lpwl

• lpwl.bigcartel.com
    • My O-ring Store
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 16:10:06 »
If there was a way (like a link or another form) to make changes to our order, that would be wonderful don't you think ?

I would like to add a few more switches but right now I can't do it without bothering hwood by PM.

Offline mecano

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 16:11:52 »
I'm in for 75 blacks!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 16:18:19 »
In!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Nai_Calus

• * Destiny Supporter
  • CLACK
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 16:56:57 »

I can, I've got a board with stock Gateron Clears. You know how people complain sometimes about typos and accidentally pressing switches on reds?

It's like that, but worse. XD I type heavy though, and I'm currently using a keyboard with stock MX clears and liking it.

I want to try the Gateron browns and I quite like the gateron blue I've got laying around so I'll probably put an order in later when I figure out WTF I'm doing.
- IBM 4704 Model F 107-key "Bertha"
Other boards: Kinesis Essential, Infinity(G.Clears), Ergodox(MX Blues), Monoprice 9433

Eternally searching for Celestial Blue BS V2 and blue/purple Bros.

Offline ubermike

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:10:35 »
Awesome GB. I put down 200 black switches.

Offline shrapneL

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:17:31 »
I'm in for 240! Thanks for organizing!
hello.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 17:45:23 »
300 Blacks + 60 Blues...here's hoping to hit that 20K mark.

I hope I dig the Black switch, I'm looking for something slightly heavier than MX Red and lighter than MX Blacks.

Offline JordanRinke

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:29:35 »
Is there a Gateron switch that is equivalent to an MX clear? I signed up for 200 clears, but just read the Gateron clears are linear and not extra tactile like the MX clears.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:31:50 »
Is there a Gateron switch that is equivalent to an MX clear? I signed up for 200 clears, but just read the Gateron clears are linear and not extra tactile like the MX clears.
No, not at this moment.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:36:19 »
the Gateron clears are linear and not extra tactile like the MX clears.

Just a hunch, but I think many people who are ordering Gateron clears are confused about this.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline axlroach

• axlroach blog
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:36:56 »
I'm in for 400 total.  Can we get an update on what the total numbers are?  Thanks so much for organizing this!

-a