Author Topic: [GB] CF-LX: Carbon Fiber 60% Case [DONE]  (Read 267705 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: [GB] CF-LX: Carbon Fiber 60% Case // Universal and Happy layout
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 17:14:18 »
Another update: still talking with 3 separate places, though I'm almost surely going with one already. They've been great with quick responses (usually within 10-20 minutes) and right now are testing something out for me. So expect an interesting update Monday, possibly updates from the other two places sooner.

We eagerly await news. Also really appreciate you being so prompt about updating us.

It's the least I could do after all these delays. Hopefully I've found a good company that I can do business with in the future for projects like this.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 17:38:02 »
Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Offline AdmiralSquid

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 05 November 2015, 17:57:32 »
Thanks for all the quick updates, hopefully we get them sooner than later, my zealios are in and it's time to make something sexy  ;D

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #353 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 06:03:09 »
Another update: still talking with 3 separate places, though I'm almost surely going with one already. They've been great with quick responses (usually within 10-20 minutes) and right now are testing something out for me. So expect an interesting update Monday, possibly updates from the other two places sooner.
Oh yeah! I hope we'll definitely have the news on Monday. Looking forward for your next update.

Did they already give you an estimated time of manufacturing?

Thanks for the fast update. It is appreciated. ;)

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline Gyokuro

« Reply #354 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:49:19 »
Is this still open? I am thinking of making the jump, even though I know I shouldn't... :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #355 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:53:39 »
Is this still open? I am thinking of making the jump, even though I know I shouldn't... :)
PM'd

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #356 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 13:59:18 »
Got another response from one of the other two places. They had originally quoted me for 1.3mm carbon fiber. They're contacting the manufacturer for a quote on 1.5mm now. This place is using a method that prevents delamination of the carbon fiber so the switch cutouts won't be uneven and will be structurally sound. The first shop is experimenting with a method that would be able to produce it more cheaply but with a different method that would still keep the plate intact. Still waiting on a quote back from the third shop.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #357 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 16:09:09 »

Got another response from one of the other two places. They had originally quoted me for 1.3mm carbon fiber. They're contacting the manufacturer for a quote on 1.5mm now. This place is using a method that prevents delamination of the carbon fiber so the switch cutouts won't be uneven and will be structurally sound. The first shop is experimenting with a method that would be able to produce it more cheaply but with a different method that would still keep the plate intact. Still waiting on a quote back from the third shop.

Pls ask them specifically if they are using genuine CF; there is a fair amount of black woven fiberglass marketed as CF these days. It may help to ask who is their supplier.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline lashiel

« Reply #358 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 16:32:19 »

I assume all of these will be filed, etc. so that we won't need to worry about the horror that is carbon fiber splinters?

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #359 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 16:36:24 »

I assume all of these will be filed, etc. so that we won't need to worry about the horror that is carbon fiber splinters?

I don't think you will need to worry. It doesn't usually splinter like I think you are imagining. Think about it not as a piece of wood but more as a sheet of plastic, with fiber reinforcement. You don't normally encounter the fibers unless you sand, cut, or break it.
I'm back.

Offline lashiel

« Reply #360 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 16:39:49 »

I don't think you will need to worry. It doesn't usually splinter like I think you are imagining. Think about it not as a piece of wood but more as a sheet of plastic, with fiber reinforcement. You don't normally encounter the fibers unless you sand, cut, or break it.

Fair enough :D

Saw your topic in Making Stuff Together earlier today--super cool stuff.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #361 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 16:50:09 »

Fair enough :D

Saw your topic in Making Stuff Together earlier today--super cool stuff.

Thx bro. Progress is sooooo slowww though lol.
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #362 on: Fri, 06 November 2015, 18:08:21 »
Really cool to update us so often Hwood. Personally I like it that way. Thank you.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #363 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 12:22:07 »
The first company is sending me a sample of something interesting we're working on. Updates on that in a few days.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #364 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 13:28:07 »
The first company is sending me a sample of something interesting we're working on. Updates on that in a few days.

I'm excited like a virgin! Damn. Is it something different than the first spec?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #365 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 13:35:31 »

Aesthetically and weight-wise it should be the same. That's all I'll say for now ;)

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #366 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:27:56 »

Aesthetically and weight-wise it should be the same. That's all I'll say for now ;)

youhadmycuriosity.gif

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #367 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 14:35:24 »

Damn you got me right there. I wonder what it could it be so it doesn't impact neither aesthetic nor weight ...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 15:50:21 »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #369 on: Fri, 13 November 2015, 20:36:16 »

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #370 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 16:17:49 »
I'm pretty curious, what is it? Is it a numpad plate?

Does your test project with them was positive in the end? Will it be the end-game manufacturer?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 14 November 2015, 23:19:23 »

Does your test project with them was positive in the end? Will it be the end-game manufacturer?
This was actually just a little sample the guy sent me. And yea, it's looking really good so far. I'm almost definitely gonna end up using this place

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 15 November 2015, 13:53:38 »

This was actually just a little sample the guy sent me. And yea, it's looking really good so far. I'm almost definitely gonna end up using this place

What do you need to check with them for you to say "almost"? :)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:13:16 »
So while I won't be going with them unfortunately (found another place I liked more), I'd just like to say that Brydgeworks (and Steve who I assume is the owner) is a great place that is super helpful and responds incredibly quickly to answer all your questions (even after hours). Right now I'm just confirming the quote from the other place and then we can move forward with payment and production. And once I get all the cases in, I'll be sure to get them out the next day.

Offline lashiel

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 17 November 2015, 22:52:50 »
So while I won't be going with them unfortunately (found another place I liked more), I'd just like to say that Brydgeworks (and Steve who I assume is the owner) is a great place that is super helpful and responds incredibly quickly to answer all your questions (even after hours). Right now I'm just confirming the quote from the other place and then we can move forward with payment and production. And once I get all the cases in, I'll be sure to get them out the next day.

Offline grav3serker

• graves + berserker = grav3serker
« Reply #375 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 00:25:49 »
I'm assuming this is MX only, and not Alps compatible?

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #376 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 02:18:24 »
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the cutouts are the same as the ones in the render it should be alps compatible I believe.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #377 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 02:44:07 »
Regardless of whether or not the switches would fit, the Alps stabs wouldn't work at all.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #378 on: Wed, 18 November 2015, 07:23:50 »

Oh yeah sweet baby Jesus! Thanks for the update. Did they tell you how long it would take to manufacture our project?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #379 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 20:25:05 »
Just sent off all the technical drawings just to make sure we get all the dimensions right. They're sending me a sample of a switch cutout and screw hole just to make sure the cutting process will work.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #380 on: Fri, 20 November 2015, 20:46:01 »
Just sent off all the technical drawings just to make sure we get all the dimensions right. They're sending me a sample of a switch cutout and screw hole just to make sure the cutting process will work.

Offline Jersern

« Reply #381 on: Sun, 22 November 2015, 07:24:52 »

Awesome! My Zealios are demanding some love!

Offline Vimto

« Reply #382 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 07:30:15 »
Is this still open? I'd love to get this case, I love Carbon Fiber and this would be my first custom keyboard.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline natemz

« Reply #383 on: Sat, 28 November 2015, 09:37:12 »
Is this still open? I'd love to get this case, I love Carbon Fiber and this would be my first custom keyboard.
I'd be willing to let you take my spot. I just had a kid so I don't think I'm going to have the time to actually build another keyboard anytime soon.

If you're interested just PM me and we can figure out the details.

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 10:53:03 »
Hey Hwood! How is this current vendor turning out? The sample picture from your post a while back looks pretty sharp!

You have me pretty excited for this carbon case :)

Offline kiwi24x

« Reply #385 on: Mon, 30 November 2015, 12:51:39 »
I'd be willing to let you take my spot. I just had a kid so I don't think I'm going to have the time to actually build another keyboard anytime soon.

If you're interested just PM me and we can figure out the details.
i know it's probably too late but any chance that position all open?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 07:39:59 »
So apparently the machine needed maintenance and due to the holidays they had to wait to get parts in and fix it. So a switch cutout sample is getting sent to me today

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 08:19:28 »
I just got an invoice where the case is $94 instead of $79 in the OP. I didn't see that communicated in the thread. Any explanation?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:05:31 »
I just got an invoice where the case is $94 instead of $79 in the OP. I didn't see that communicated in the thread. Any explanation?

not sure where I talked about it but earlier in the thread I stated that there had to be a price increase since the quotes I was originally getting were incorrect

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 01 December 2015, 13:07:45 »

not sure where I talked about it but earlier in the thread I stated that there had to be a price increase since the quotes I was originally getting were incorrect

Not a problem. I just wanted to check in. Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #390 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 03:27:44 »
So apparently the machine needed maintenance and due to the holidays they had to wait to get parts in and fix it. So a switch cutout sample is getting sent to me today

Neat! Looking forward to your feedbacks on this sample. I hope the requirements will be met and we'll move forward on the project.  :thumb:

Thanks for your work Hwood. It has been frustrating for us but I bet you had the worst position as you were in the frontline between the manufacturers and us. :-[

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #391 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 06:20:32 »
If it ends up to not work out with the current manufacturer, i can probably manufacture it with my factory if you want.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #392 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 10:04:51 »
If it ends up to not work out with the current manufacturer, i can probably manufacture it with my factory if you want.

That's nice of you to offer this solution as well. ;) I hope this manufacturer will be fine.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #393 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 14:00:28 »
got a standard case up for grabs payed 99 usd pm me if you want it

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #394 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 16:57:39 »
Did you receive the sample Hwood?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #395 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 18:02:14 »

Yep, got it today. Cuts and everything looks great. Luckily I now see that the person who drew up the design for me had the incorrect dimensions height-wise so the switch won't fit in the hole. So once I get that sorted out we'll be good to go

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #396 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 18:24:08 »

Yep, got it today. Cuts and everything looks great. Luckily I now see that the person who drew up the design for me had the incorrect dimensions height-wise so the switch won't fit in the hole. So once I get that sorted out we'll be good to go

When you have time could you please post some pics?  Do you know the specs of the CF?
I'm back.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #397 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 19:16:46 »

When you have time could you please post some pics?  Do you know the specs of the CF?

The marks around the hole are really emphasized by the light, just looking at it from a normal distance in my room I really can't tell it's there.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #398 on: Mon, 07 December 2015, 19:48:02 »

The marks around the hole are really emphasized by the light, just looking at it from a normal distance in my room I really can't tell it's there.

Show Image

Show Image

I think it looks great. Looks like 1.5mil 3k twill weave. Should be awesome!
I'm back.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 00:04:26 »

Thank you for your answer.