Author Topic: Time for a new notebook.  (Read 2826 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Time for a new notebook.
« on: Thu, 09 October 2008, 13:15:13 »

Offline fkeidjn

Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 17 October 2008, 00:59:21 »
If I could afford it, I would get a Macbook.  It would be my first Mac product ever ever bought, besides the keyboard in my signature :p.

need to sell some of my keyboards, should clean them first...
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 17 October 2008, 11:08:14 »
I'd rather get a Fujitsu P1630... (Yeah, I know, completely different machine, but it is what I'd rather have. ;))

Offline iMav

Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 18 October 2008, 20:19:56 »
I ended up picking up a new "glassbook" on friday.  Got the low-end model as I don't care about a backlit keyboard.  Upgraded to 4GB (2x2GB) ram and a 500GB hard drive (both purchased from NewEgg).

Very solid.  Screen is much nicer than the previous generation MacBooks.  

This thing get over double the battery life (with heavy use) that I get with my Acer Aspire netbook (isn't THAT sad?).  :)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2008, 23:44:17 »
Of course, do you have the 3-cell or 6-cell in the Aspire One?

Offline iMav

Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 08:20:29 »
I have the crappy 3-cell battery.

With the compromises you make with size, power, storage, etc...I think that the netbooks should be the most portable laptops on the planet.  And a large part of that portability should be NOT having to charge up every 2-3 hours.  

So, I find it humorous that the next time I need to be untethered for a few hours, my MacBook is the more viable option.  I may end up picking up a 6-cell for the Acer at some point...but for now it is primarily my middle-of-the-night nightstand computer.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 October 2008, 08:33:05 »
Well, netbooks are meant to be cheap more than portable. They're small as a side effect. And, batteries are an expensive part of the laptop - probably the single most expensive part, or if not, behind the LCD. (Hence the tiny useless batteries on most netbooks.)

That's also why I'd automatically get the extended battery if I get a Fujitsu P1630 - then it'd get about 5 hour battery life, and still weigh 2.5 pounds. And it doesn't have the CPU tradeoffs - 1.4GHz Core 2 Duo, my current machine has a 1.6 C2D. (It has some storage tradeoffs, by virtue of having a 1.8" drive, but...)

Offline wellington1869

Time for a new notebook.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 October 2008, 05:42:53 »
my friend just picked up an msi wind for $450. I cant work on those things. keyboard/screen way too small and processor not fast enough for me. I'd rather pick up a decent 13" or 14" core 2 duo used on ebay. They're so cheap these days anyway. Even new ones on sale arent much more than $600 in manhattan.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3