Author Topic: [IC] GMK SERIKA  (Read 78040 times)

Offline gutsack

Re: [IC] GMK SERIKA | Update #3 Final kit update
« Reply #250 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:14:03 »
Personally I think this is the right move. Who needs more white GMK alpha caps? What sets Serika apart is the design of the non-plain alpha caps so I think embracing that is the right call. Looking forward to the buy.

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #251 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:18:09 »
Personally I think this is the right move. Who needs more white GMK alpha caps? What sets Serika apart is the design of the non-plain alpha caps so I think embracing that is the right call. Looking forward to the buy.

Everyone who doesn't have GMK white alpha caps....not to mention they are a custom color, not white.  And since there are around 4 other ICs with weeb legends right now, I'd say what sets Serika apart is the colorway.

I think if the hiragana had been changed to the core, and latin alphas switched to the add on set, there would have been some grumbling due to extra cost, but otherwise no real issue. The major issue is the complete elimination of the normal alphas.  I understand people like japanese legends....I think they look awful.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:28:08 by zappysnap »
YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #252 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:59:44 »
No way it will be 15%. A drop of half is generous...I honestly think it'll be even worse than half. If they offered a Latin alpha child set, your 15% variance might be correct, but with no Latin alphas even as an add on kit, half is the minimum drop I'd expect, if not worse.

You guys' prediction are so strange. How many people do you think are feeling "slapped in the face" because of the change? On Massdrop of all places, tons of the purchases come in from people who have absolutely no idea the set even exists at this current moment; the vast majority, really. I think a projection of 20% is actually generous all things considered.

You're blowing this out of proportion because you want to support your side of the arguments' bias. I don't mean this in a demeaning way, it happens all the time and everyone is susceptible to it but it really doesn't matter. This isn't Zambumon's first time designing a set, no one wants its success more than he does - if he thinks this is the right move, it absolutely and factually is the right move. If he wants to risk sacrificing his royalties and/or recognition by making a stylistic choice of this kind that's on him.

You have to understand that whilst your opinion is valid and entirely relevant, in the grand scheme of things your 2 kits purchased (or not) are a drop in the bucket. It's like when ICs are filled with people begging (more like demanding, usually) NORDE ISO support and then the set goes live and the same people that complained are now saying the price is too high and they don't buy anything anyway and the kit ends up with 20 units sold and having to be rescued by Massdrop's good relationship with GMK/SP.

The set will do well regardless and neither party will be proven right/wrong.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #253 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 16:06:37 »
You guys' prediction are so strange. How many people do you think are feeling "slapped in the face" because of the change? On Massdrop of all places, tons of the purchases come in from people who have absolutely no idea the set even exists at this current moment; the vast majority, really. I think a projection of 20% is actually generous all things considered.

You're blowing this out of proportion because you want to support your side of the arguments' bias. I don't mean this in a demeaning way, it happens all the time and everyone is susceptible to it but it really doesn't matter. This isn't Zambumon's first time designing a set, no one wants its success more than he does - if he thinks this is the right move, it absolutely and factually is the right move. If he wants to risk sacrificing his royalties and/or recognition by making a stylistic choice of this kind that's on him.

You have to understand that whilst your opinion is valid and entirely relevant, in the grand scheme of things your 2 kits purchased (or not) are a drop in the bucket. It's like when ICs are filled with people begging (more like demanding, usually) NORDE ISO support and then the set goes live and the same people that complained are now saying the price is too high and they don't buy anything anyway and the kit ends up with 20 units sold and having to be rescued by Massdrop's good relationship with GMK/SP.

The set will do well regardless and neither party will be proven right/wrong.

Well said!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #254 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 16:07:51 »
I get that...but this is an interest check thread, meant for feedback on proposed sets. And it isn't just our two sets. Reaction on Reddit is nearly universally negative...reaction to this change on Massdrop is almost universally negative.

If you think more people want weeb legends than normal, I think you're out of your mind.  Yes, the set will probably do fine....but it has far less appeal with only weeb legends.

I don't see how offering Latin alphas as an add on kit will hurt anything...it can only help.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Offline dimo

« Reply #255 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 16:32:35 »
I get that...but this is an interest check thread, meant for feedback on proposed sets. And it isn't just our two sets. Reaction on Reddit is nearly universally negative...reaction to this change on Massdrop is almost universally negative.

If you think more people want weeb legends than normal, I think you're out of your mind.  Yes, the set will probably do fine....but it has far less appeal with only weeb legends.

I don't see how offering Latin alphas as an add on kit will hurt anything...it can only help.

I don’t know much about how the pricing works for things like this. But why don’t people separate the modifiers from the alphas in GMK sets?

For example have the modifiers which everyone will buy, then offer hiragana alphas and normal latin alphas and whoever can choose, and they’ll all make MOQ easily.

Also, Zamb is way too worried about the lack of popularity around this set, this is way more hyped than Red Samurai and that did alright. It won’t reach laser and nautilus levels but it’s honestly going to be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #256 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:00:39 »

That's because the only people posting in that update thread on reddit are the people that are upset.  It's an echo chamber.  Where he originally posted about the hiragana before update 3?  There was pretty universal applause and excitement.

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #257 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:02:30 »

That's because the only people posting in that update thread on reddit are the people that are upset.  It's an echo chamber.  Where he originally posted about the hiragana before update 3?  There was pretty universal applause and excitement.
There's a big difference between offering a cool optional kit that people like and eliminating the main kit that people like. I have nothing, I repeat nothing against having the hiragana alphas. What I and many people have a problem with is the complete elimination of the original alphas this late in the IC.

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK SERIKA | Update #3 Final kit update
« Reply #258 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:20:19 »

How is that even relevant?

When he originally posted about the hiragana legends, he was talking about a separate kit. Which means:

People who wanted it: would be happy

People who didn’t want it: would be happy
...since both options would be available

NOW. He completely took away the “normal” latin alphas, which means all the people who didn’t talk in the hiragana post, are coming up and saying they don’t agree with this change.

This is by no means this “echo chamber” phenomena you keep clinging towards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:24:14 by dimo »

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #259 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:23:17 »

There's a big difference between offering a cool optional kit that people like and eliminating the main kit that people like. I have nothing, I repeat nothing against having the hiragana alphas. What I and many people have a problem with is the complete elimination of the original alphas this late in the IC.

And he's addressed this.  And people that are hyped for the Hiraganas are not going to reply in general.  There's really no reason to do so.

As I said, you might want to try to pair up with a vendor and Zambumon to try to run the alphas yourself if you're that enamored with the idea.  People have done such things before, and if you're that interested, it doesn't hurt to try.  But he's already said the sets that he will offer won't change.

How is that even relevant?

Because he was talking about the fact that the response has been universally negative, pointing to a reddit thread that has few responses and few upvotes.  That's a bit disingenuous, and I was pointing that out.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #260 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:40:33 »
It's getting hot in here...  Everyone could use a cup of something tasty and thinking about something else for a bit to hopefully gain some fresh perspective.  Personally I'm excited for this set, whatever form it will take--I just hope I can afford it when it drops.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #261 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 18:50:16 »
It's getting hot in here...  Everyone could use a cup of something tasty and thinking about something else for a bit to hopefully gain some fresh perspective.  Personally I'm excited for this set, whatever form it will take--I just hope I can afford it when it drops.

Agreed. Both sides have made their cases and covered all the bases, no need to repeat in more forceful terms or go off on side-quests and have things spiral out of control.

I actually just wanted to give kudos to:

... aleatory.

A great word and I have learned something today. Now to use it in my own sentence ...

Offline Solotov

« Reply #262 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 20:20:17 »
I even think that with this move he should go further and put micons kit in the base kit as well, replacing the normal modifiers. That will make the set clearly reflect to his original idea "Serika of the Space Brothers".

Flex is love, flex is life.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #263 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 22:39:35 »
I even think that with this move he should go further and put micons kit in the base kit as well, replacing the normal modifiers. That will make the set clearly reflect to his original idea "Serika of the Space Brothers".

No.

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
« Reply #264 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 22:52:16 »
After the change to the base kit Alphas, I am for sure in.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #265 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 23:47:25 »

Yes plz

Offline Remsky

• Lubed switch count > Puddsy post count
« Reply #266 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 01:49:05 »
Have hiragana lettering with Micons and its a deal.
TGR Jane v2 - GSKT00(coming) - TGR Jane CE V2 - TGR Poly alice - LZ Physix - Matrix 8XV 2.0 - RS - LZ FE - Dalco 959 Mini GT edition (coming) - Mc65 - Hiney TKL one - HHKB Pro 1 - 25th anniversary edition HHKB pro Hybrid - 30th anniversary Filco 2S keyboard

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #267 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 04:32:36 »

Someday there will be a set with Hiragana alphas & Micons (expanded to cover nav cluster too) in the base set, just not this set:

Just before somebody asks this: I don't plan to expand the coverage of the Micons kit. The goal adding these four keys is to continue to ease the path for a full Micon base kit.

Or will it?

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #268 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 12:39:17 »
I absolutely love the decision to remove the Alphas and replace it with Hiragana. The set is now a "must-buy" for me.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #269 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 14:05:47 »
I absolutely love the decision to remove the Alphas and replace it with Hiragana. The set is now a "must-buy" for me.

Holy ****, that's the base kit. I haven't been paying much attention to this set, but now it's an INSTACOP.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 April 2018, 14:58:20 by ye_cole »

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #270 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 17:16:34 »

Yup, the only reason I didnt get Red Samurai was because I had to get base and gaijin to get the right compat. Freaking ridiculous. Glad that zambi isnt afraid of shaking things up.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #271 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 17:56:02 »
I am both on board with this change and slightly disappointed. I originally just wanted the Hiragana alphas alone (sucker for all kinds of sublegends; ¿tripleshot when?) but combined into the base kit is okay, as well.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #272 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 20:12:00 »

Yup, the only reason I didnt get Red Samurai was because I had to get base and gaijin to get the right compat. Freaking ridiculous. Glad that zambi isnt afraid of shaking things up.

I just wanted it enough to do it, but felt dirty doing it. >.>  And didn't get the novelties because of the cost.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #273 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 23:38:01 »

Right? Its great to see that Zamb is not afraid of switching things around in order to offer the most economical set to the community. I can't wait to jump in line for the drop. Just make it happen already haha.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #274 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 00:08:12 »

I just wanted it enough to do it, but felt dirty doing it. >.>  And didn't get the novelties because of the cost.

I went a little too crazy on Red Samurai. Base, Nishi, Pure Hira, Novelties, ErgoPlanck, and Spacebars.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2018, 09:16:33 by tanvir175 »

Offline Solotov

« Reply #275 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 03:53:07 »

I went a little to crazy on Red Samurai. Base, Nishi, Pure Hira, Novelties, ErgoPlanck, and Spacebars.

I wouldn't call that "a little"...  :eek:

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 18:37:07 »
Good day everyone,

I've received a color chart from GMK so we can color match for the alphas. As I've mentioned in a previous udpate, GMK and I have been working with Pantone colors for Serika's mods and we have achieved a very close match for it. However, from now on we'll be using a RAL color matching system. This method has been recently used with Mito's GMK Laser with very succesful results. For Serika, only the alphas need to be matched and many of the samples look promising for Serika's alphas so you can expect me to have final colors and samples on my way by the end of the week.

Kits have been sent to Massdrop and a drop page is in the works. Furthermore, Massdrop has requested GMK quotes for the final kits.

Finally, I've some very good news regarding some of the collabs, in particular Serika's desk mat. Mike from novelkeys.xyz and I have been working on Serika's desk mat. Once I can get a closer look to the mat and make sure that everything is perfect, I'll share more details with you guys. Huge props for Mike for making this possible.  :thumb:

Offline gnunin

« Reply #277 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 00:07:29 »
Mikes's mats are sick. Looking forward to seeing it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #278 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 00:48:53 »
Exciting update—looking forward to the group buy.

Offline M

« Reply #279 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 01:00:53 »
Good day everyone,

I've received a color chart from GMK so we can color match for the alphas. As I've mentioned in a previous udpate, GMK and I have been working with Pantone colors for Serika's mods and we have achieved a very close match for it. However, from now on we'll be using a RAL color matching system. This method has been recently used with Mito's GMK Laser with very succesful results. For Serika, only the alphas need to be matched and many of the samples look promising for Serika's alphas so you can expect me to have final colors and samples on my way by the end of the week.

Kits have been sent to Massdrop and a drop page is in the works. Furthermore, Massdrop has requested GMK quotes for the final kits.

Finally, I've some very good news regarding some of the collabs, in particular Serika's desk mat. Mike from novelkeys.xyz and I have been working on Serika's desk mat. Once I can get a closer look to the mat and make sure that everything is perfect, I'll share more details with you guys. Huge props for Mike for making this possible.  :thumb:

Thanks for the update; I love that more sets are getting their own desk mats. I got a question though: what's the difference between RAL and Pantone matching?

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 01:19:59 »
hyped for the deskmat !

Offline darthzero

« Reply #281 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 02:32:41 »
So the thing about deskmats from novelkeys is that shipping outside of the US (to Europe to be specific) costs more than the mat itself.
The Violet Tendencies GB somehow made it possible to get the deskmat from the European proxy for a reasonable price, so please make this happen too. <3
Discord: kuno#0600 
Reddit: u/darthzero

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #282 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 07:02:54 »
Good day everyone,

I am really excited to be able to collab here! These are some of the best deskpads that I have seen in terms of design. It just really translates well. I cant wait for everyone to be able to see them!

Offline Solotov

« Reply #283 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 08:53:29 »
Good day everyone,

I am really excited to be able to collab here! These are some of the best deskpads that I have seen in terms of design. It just really translates well. I cant wait for everyone to be able to see them!

Then show us now! Can't wait  :))

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #284 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 08:59:55 »
So the thing about deskmats from novelkeys is that shipping outside of the US (to Europe to be specific) costs more than the mat itself.
The Violet Tendencies GB somehow made it possible to get the deskmat from the European proxy for a reasonable price, so please make this happen too. <3

Not to derail the thread further but would you mind pointing me toward where that is at? I didn't even know Violet Tendencies had a deskmat to go with it, and I can't find it in the GB thread nor on mykeyboard.eu's site.

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #285 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 09:10:36 »

Not to derail the thread further but would you mind pointing me toward where that is at? I didn't even know Violet Tendencies had a deskmat to go with it, and I can't find it in the GB thread nor on mykeyboard.eu's site.

Here ya go buddy.
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-violet-tendencies_46/

Still sad that I need proxy to get Violet Tendencies.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 09:26:34 »
Here ya go buddy.
https://mykeyboard.eu/catalogue/category/group-buys/gmk-violet-tendencies_46/

Still sad that I need proxy to get Violet Tendencies.

What da fak, how did that not come up when I searched Violet Tendencies on mykeyboard. Thanks!

That is a good way to go about it for sure; not necessarily because it makes the price way better seeing as buying directly from Mike/Massdrop, even with the huge shipping, comes out at like $38 which is 31€~, but because it avoids all sorts of headaches with customs (most EU countries cutoff for VAT is 20-25€).

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 11:11:28 »
Thanks for the update; I love that more sets are getting their own desk mats. I got a question though: what's the difference between RAL and Pantone matching?

It's a German standard. The RAL Design colors are arranged based on hue, lighting and chroma.

Then show us now! Can't wait  :))

You'll have to wait just a little bit, we just want to make sure that everything is alright before showing them.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 14:36:08 »
Because you guys asked, here is a sneak peak of Serika's desk mat

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:12:45 »
Very pretty!  Is there going to be a dark version of the mat by chance?  With white inverted to charcoal, and charcoal inverted to white?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:42:29 »
Very pretty!  Is there going to be a dark version of the mat by chance?  With white inverted to charcoal, and charcoal inverted to white?

That would be really nice!  :thumb:

Offline oumakavoula

« Reply #291 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 15:52:35 »
absolutely love the mat !

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 17:24:34 »

That would be really nice!  :thumb:

That's something I didn't think of. Once I can confirm that the colors are alright, I might do a test for this.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 18:11:25 »
The current version is really nice and matches your banner.  I was just thinking in terms of not getting noticeably dirty too quickly (and also going well with dark desks), the dark version is more practical.

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #294 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 18:59:39 »
The current version is really nice and matches your banner.  I was just thinking in terms of not getting noticeably dirty too quickly (and also going well with dark desks), the dark version is more practical.

That was the plan. I do try to clean my desk mat very often with one of those brushes used for clothes and avoid eating next to it, place glasses of water or lube switches with my deskmat close.

Offline Solotov

« Reply #295 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 19:24:11 »
Hell yeah. I want this white deskmat :thumb:

Offline Theswetiyeti

« Reply #296 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 02:01:36 »
I really like this set.  count  me in

Offline FSund

« Reply #297 on: Mon, 30 April 2018, 02:07:28 »
Well, I guess I can't do anything else than be thankful that I noticed this change before the GB for SA Pulse ended... Perhaps I'll get just the micons set, to mix with other GMK sets later on.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 April 2018, 13:56:51 by FSund »
Join the Mechanical Keyboards Norway Discord server

Offline RSC

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 04:35:17 »
Puls GB ended now, so I'm guessing Serika should be up on MD in days, right?

Offline Zambumon

• * Esteemed Elder
  • discord.zambumon.com
    • Keyset projects
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 01 May 2018, 12:46:31 »
I've requested to move this thread over Massdrop's subforum as the group buy will begin in a couple days and all kits are locked.

As for the desk mats, I'll see what's the best way to do the IC for them.

[GB] Massdrop x Zambumon GMK Serika Custom Keycap Set Thread
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 May 2018, 13:44:23 by Zambumon »