Author Topic: [IC] Sindarin (elven) set - Group Buy Coming on 14-Dec-2012  (Read 87972 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: [IC] Sindarin (elven) set
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 17:50:24 »
here is some background. I am torn between making a working layout and a fancy layout. Nobody is going to write in elvish with this, so the goal is just to make a believable elven keyboard.

The central part of the keyboard is composed by the main tengwars in order of relevance from left to right, from top to bottom. The rune on the Q key is the first elvish letter/sound (tinco), the one under the . key is the last letter (wilya). This makes sense from an elvish point of view, the letters are placed in a logical order.

All the runes are consonants. The vowels are always represented with the small dots/accents over or under the consonants (and sometimes in between).

Here comes the first issue. The position of the vowel on the consonant is not fixed. If you have 2 vowels for examples, you put one over and one under the consonant. That's why the Dan Smith's font has so many vowels around, BUT I thought that elves would have developed the automatic vowel positioning directly from the software (reread this sentence, how odd is it? :) ).

When the elf writes the software automatically places the vowel in the best position, the elf typist doesn't have to worry about it. That's why I used only the 6 main vowels (and not all the possible combinations like in the Dan Smith's font).

Another interesting thing is that elves actually use tengwar to count (not numbers). The first letter/sound/rune is as we said "tinco", so "tinco" is also used as number 1. Later they added the numbers like we know them, so it would make completely sense to place the numbers over the first 11 elvish characters. Doing so we would free the whole first row where we could place additional sounds.

I decided to keep the layout as you see it because it looks better and it loosely resembles an ansi keyboard.

Over or under some characters you see a dash or a tilde. Those are special characters that can be triggered with the shift key. They are not positioned randomly, but in the most sense full position based on their meaning.

Lastly there are some sounds missing, that's why I'm implementing a pure elvish keyboard without contaminations coming from Tolkien's son or later tries to make a phonetically English-compatible language. This is an elvish keyboard for elves.

how this makes some kind of sense.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 15 November 2012, 18:10:30 »
here is some background. I am torn between making a working layout and a fancy layout. Nobody is going to write in elvish with this, so the goal is just to make a believable elven keyboard.

The central part of the keyboard is composed by the main tengwars in order of relevance from left to right, from top to bottom. The rune on the Q key is the first elvish letter/sound (tinco), the one under the . key is the last letter (wilya). This makes sense from an elvish point of view, the letters are placed in a logical order.

All the runes are consonants. The vowels are always represented with the small dots/accents over or under the consonants (and sometimes in between).

Here comes the first issue. The position of the vowel on the consonant is not fixed. If you have 2 vowels for examples, you put one over and one under the consonant. That's why the Dan Smith's font has so many vowels around, BUT I thought that elves would have developed the automatic vowel positioning directly from the software (reread this sentence, how odd is it? :) ).

When the elf writes the software automatically places the vowel in the best position, the elf typist doesn't have to worry about it. That's why I used only the 6 main vowels (and not all the possible combinations like in the Dan Smith's font).

Another interesting thing is that elves actually use tengwar to count (not numbers). The first letter/sound/rune is as we said "tinco", so "tinco" is also used as number 1. Later they added the numbers like we know them, so it would make completely sense to place the numbers over the first 11 elvish characters. Doing so we would free the whole first row where we could place additional sounds.

I decided to keep the layout as you see it because it looks better and it loosely resembles an ansi keyboard.

Over or under some characters you see a dash or a tilde. Those are special characters that can be triggered with the shift key. They are not positioned randomly, but in the most sense full position based on their meaning.

Lastly there are some sounds missing, that's why I'm implementing a pure elvish keyboard without contaminations coming from Tolkien's son or later tries to make a phonetically English-compatible language. This is an elvish keyboard for elves.

how this makes some kind of sense.

I grokked that.  Actually did, which is probably a problem.  Also, I have the suspicion that there are precisely TWO humans who care at this level of detail about placement of characters and vowel-modifiers on this keyboard.

Sidenote question: Are you a native Italian-speaker designing an Elvish character set for an English-language keyboard?  Good on you, mate!

I would very much like to be able to type in Tengwar/English.  So as long as your design can be scripted using AutoHotKey to produce "Tenglish" from a Dan Smith font, I'm good.  And as long as it looks cool, I imagine any other GH buyers are already good, assuming we can make similarly cool peripheral* keys.

So it is probably time to sort out the other keys and colors.  We can then come back to refine the legend set further.

- Ron | samwisekoi

* Disambiguation #2:  I am now using "peripheral" to mean Shift, Caps Lock and other keys normally called "modifiers" on this board.  I will use "modifiers" to mean "vowel-modifying marks".  (But only in this thread.  Elsewhere I will use "modifiers" to mean peripheral keys.  Sheesh!)

« Last Edit: Thu, 15 November 2012, 18:12:32 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 01:20:54 »
Sidenote question: Are you a native Italian-speaker designing an Elvish character set for an English-language keyboard?  Good on you, mate!

don't tell... this is really a hard keyboard to design (if you want to do it right), I hope other GHers understand that.

I would very much like to be able to type in Tengwar/English.

Agreed, let's do our best to make it functional.

So it is probably time to sort out the other keys and colors.  We can then come back to refine the legend set further.

Today I'll finish it. promise :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:22:43 »
Okay some keys need revision but we are almost there (I don't like the menu key, and maybe the 3 upper right useless keys, also F-x in the function row has little meaning in elvish)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:24:46 »
Okay some keys need revision but we are almost there (I don't like the menu key, and maybe the 3 upper right useless keys, also F-x in the function row has little meaning in elvish)

Awesome!

May I suggest some things?

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:28:21 »

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:40:04 »
May I suggest some things?

You must!

Does the appearance of a source file mean that I have the token?

- Ron

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 11:55:35 »
I'd say, let's keep the small changes between us (via email)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 12:02:42 »
I'd say, let's keep the small changes between us (via email)

Agreed.

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 16 November 2012, 20:07:59 »
It looks amazing. Fantastic work.

Offline Scirocco

• Not the usual grandma!
« Reply #160 on: Sat, 17 November 2012, 17:24:20 »
I agree. That is amazing. I have always wanted to do a case mod that has a druid/elven theme to it. This would be way hot for an accessory to that.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 21:15:20 »
_Very_ nice work guys.  I'm loving this newest mockup.

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 19 November 2012, 18:37:53 »
Wow, I would definitely want one of those.

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 04:52:13 »
Still working on colors but we are pretty close to the final thing.

8234-0

The 4 red keys are exchangeable of course (that's why they are all of the same color). They also work in green and lavender.

The blue keys also work in green.

8236-1

The problem is that it's hard to find the right shade without the color ring. I'm using a reference image but it's badly calibrated.

Thoughts?

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 08:04:26 »
I love the green one but don't like at all the red touch.

It looks amazing.

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 08:27:46 »
it also works with gray+green+lavender, but we could also use light-gray instead of red and a more colorful legend

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:10:50 »
it also works with gray+green+lavender, but we could also use light-gray instead of red and a more colorful legend

Excellent work!

Could we see it with (a) green specials, and (b) green with lavender specials, please?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:33:00 »
By the way in case someone is wondering how those DSA profile keys look like with better pictures:

[...]
Show Image

Ordered from SP

Original thread

And some info about the keycaps coming from Sixty who have one set made from SP:

Quote from: cgoldberg;290907
love these vintage doubleshot cherry caps:

Show Image

I'm trying to find something similar in shape... spherical that fits cherry mx switches.

anyone have a set for sale or know where to get a board I can pull them from?
[...]

I also have a set of  Siginature Plastics ones (not for sale), they are sadly not as good. They attract dirt like nothing else. If you guys do setup an order for it, I suggest not doing it in white/beige. They have a more rough texture than their normal keycaps and due to the spherical shape the dirt and grime gets "rubbed" into them.

Hard to explain, but not nice.

I really like them. I think the letters would look good on them.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 09:58:59 »
I love the green one but don't like at all the red touch.

It looks amazing.
Agreed on all counts. Also would like to see lavendar, per Ron.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the dragon symbol. It doesn't feel elvish to me, but...

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 10:19:48 »
Excellent work!

Could we see it with (a) green specials, and (b) green with lavender specials, please?

As you wish

By the way in case someone is wondering how those DSA profile keys look like with better pictures:

If we are going to have a flat layout keycaps I believe we have to rethink the whole keyset to make keys swappable

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 20 November 2012, 11:15:50 »

If we are going to have a flat layout keycaps I believe we have to rethink the whole keyset to make keys swappable

Agreed.  But having attempted this rethink once, I don't think it is really practical.

Just my $.02,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:42:49 »
This thread has slowed down for the moment, so I thought I';d bump it with a little OC.

Matt3o's layouts, except color, seem great to me.  And, by creating a matching set of alpha keys, the keyboard would become phonetic, using the Tolkien English-to-Tengwar mode.

Here are the 33 keys needed.  I would propose they be included in the GB as an add-on like 10-key pads and Moogle kits are today.

8474-0
Tengwar alpha set to enable phonetic English using Elvish script.

Thoughts?  Interest?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 16:47:51 »
what colors would you suggest?

regarding the additional keys, we can try but I doubt there will be enough interest.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #173 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 17:11:01 »
what colors would you suggest?

regarding the additional keys, we can try but I doubt there will be enough interest.

Personally, I liked your green and white version.  I thought the third color wasn't needed since there is so much visual interest already.

And with The Hobbit coming out in a couple of weeks, now might be a really good time to do a group buy!

And I can always buy 33 blank keycaps and have WASD shoot their laser at them for the Tenglish caps.

In fact, can you send me the SVG so I can try and put it in WASD format?

Best,

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #174 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 18:58:21 »
And I can always buy 33 blank keycaps and have WASD shoot their laser at them for the Tenglish caps.
Can you send WASD black ABS (or even PBT) caps for them to laser for you? It doesn't have to be their keys?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #175 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 19:21:10 »
Can you send WASD black ABS (or even PBT) caps for them to laser for you? It doesn't have to be their keys?

I am just a few miles from WASD.   When I asked the question, Weyman said he could and would do so.  However, I have not actually gotten some SP PBT keycaps to him.  I plan to do so "real soon now."

He also said to be sure to bring extras.  It will be very interesting to see what color legends the laser creates on PBT.  I also wonder if focal distance will be an issue with the lower-profile caps.

I will keep y'all posted.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #176 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 04:24:58 »
wondering what people think of all beige layouts... I saw a little hate around but I actually like them :)

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 07:38:01 »
I like them :D

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #178 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 08:24:47 »
wondering what people think of all beige layouts... I saw a little hate around but I actually like them :)

We Model M folk can't complain -- we just call it "Pearl". ;)

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #179 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 08:44:59 »
This is a great idea.  Any progress on figuring out final colors and cost?  Thanks!
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #180 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 10:16:55 »
More color combos. Green and pearl

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #181 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 18:01:30 »
Another combo in 104-key format.  Pearl, Pebble & Green.

- Ron | samwisekoi
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 November 2012, 19:35:15 by samwisekoi »

Offline Scirocco

• Not the usual grandma!
« Reply #182 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 19:24:05 »
Personally, I like the green and pearl the best followed by the pearl, pebble and green. Really great work overall.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 26 November 2012, 21:35:26 »
Personally, I like the green and pearl the best followed by the pearl, pebble and green. Really great work overall.

Seconded, although those lavender touches were nice too.  Psyched to see where this goes.
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline nebo

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:57:40 »
I'd be in for any green/pearl[pebble] or blue/pearl [pebble]. Can't offer anything to making it happen though unless we need to do some large money collection like with GB4.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: [IC] Sindarin (elven) set - Group Buy Coming on 14-Dec-2012
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 08:22:52 »
Elvish Keycap Fans:

The Sindarin Keycap Group Buy will be announced on 14-December-2012 to coincide with the release of The Hobbit.

Pricing, final colors and options will be announced then.

The keycaps will be in PBT.

And they will be awesome and totally cool.  You will be the envy of your friends, family, and co-workers.

If you are a Tolkien fan, a LOTR fan, an Elvish/Celtic/Fantasy fan, or just want the most incredible Otaku keyboard yet produced by Man, Wizard or Elf...

You will want this keycap set!

Watch for more details and remember...

Elvish Keycap Group Buy Coming on 14-Dec-2012

- Matt3o and samwisekoi

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 08:40:09 »
Are we going to be reaching out to any Tolkien fan communities to gather support for this? I'll bet some of the truly hard core would buy an MX keyboard simply to have something to put this set on.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 02 December 2012, 09:18:17 »
Are we going to be reaching out to any Tolkien fan communities to gather support for this? I'll bet some of the truly hard core would buy an MX keyboard simply to have something to put this set on.

Matt3o has done a bit of this while designing his masterpiece.  Perhaps we could jump on the coattails of the buzz around the release of The Hobbit as well.

Thanks for the thought!

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline Kaysa

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 03 December 2012, 22:19:18 »

The first Green and Pearl color is completely irresistible for me!
Sadly that the dragon Esc doesn't blend in for my humble opinion...
if this what come out final, I propose to make a few more option for the Esc Key....
other text or symbol or logo for the set.
Currently Using:
HHKB Pro2 Black with Pink blank keycaps
Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary 2nd Batch "Silent" Varied Weight force.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #189 on: Tue, 04 December 2012, 08:29:39 »
The first Green and Pearl color is completely irresistible for me!
Sadly that the dragon Esc doesn't blend in for my humble opinion...
if this what come out final, I propose to make a few more option for the Esc Key....
other text or symbol or logo for the set.

We have plans for the escape key.  Stay tuned...

- samwisekoi & Matt3o

Offline Sai

« Reply #190 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 12:44:58 »

I really like the 1st set. Whatever the price, I am in for this set though I have yet to buy my TLK Keyboard.  :p :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 20:30:28 »
Just bought a QFR (Blues) for this.  Psyched to see the final release!

Offline Magnusian

« Reply #192 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 00:43:45 »
If only this could be done for IBM keys without having to cut things up. :(
Model M 1390120 1986  | Unicomp Customizer 104 1-Piece Keys | Franken M IBM 1390120 1987/Unicomp U4044A 2007 hybrid | CM QFR Cherry MX Greens

Offline LadyPecs

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 13:52:56 »
Wow this amazing!  @_@

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:18:07 »

Does SP make keycaps for Model Ms?  If so we could look into that for this set?  I'd be interested for sure.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:26:59 »

Does SP make keycaps for Model Ms?  If so we could look into that for this set?  I'd be interested for sure.

They do not.  If Unicomp ever does custom dye-sub we could give them the vector file to make Model M keycaps.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 16:29:10 »

They do not.  If Unicomp ever does custom dye-sub we could give them the vector file to make Model M keycaps.

- Ron | samwisekoi

:(  Oh well.  They seem like they'd be easier to manufacture than Cherry keycaps (and cheaper too?), but outside of communities like this one, I guess there's no real demand for them.

Offline Sai

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 03:29:34 »
i gotta learn some elvish language.  ;D
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline Kaysa

« Reply #198 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 12:40:57 »
Maybe out of the topic, but will be watching the Hobbit next week Wednesday. :P
would be awesome to type on it, while watching.... is that even possible.?
Currently Using:
HHKB Pro2 Black with Pink blank keycaps
Topre Realforce 10th Anniversary 2nd Batch "Silent" Varied Weight force.