Author Topic: [IC] Blue Steel (Deciding profile)  (Read 4085 times)

Offline mintyfruits

[IC] Blue Steel (Deciding profile)
« on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:03:38 »
I am very fond of sets like Calm Depths, Nantucket, and Danger Zone - so they inspired me to create this set. I present Blue Steel.

163511-0

I'm really thinking of SA profile for this set, but am definitely open to hearing suggestions. Based on some other research it seems many people like uniform SA, so I had R3 uniform in mind. Colours used are BFR, BED, and BBQ. Ideally I'd like to support a lot of layouts as well. I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Task list:

-Collect community feedback
-Chose profile (interest seems to be leaning to DSA)
-Create add-on sets (ISO, Tsangan, Ortho, etc)
-Inquire with manufacturer (pricing, timeline, etc)
-Get renders
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:33:58 by mintyfruits »

Offline mintyfruits

Re: [IC] Blue Steel (SA?)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:03:53 »
Reserved.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:11:08 »
Looks nice. Vaguely similar color scheme to mechanist, but this stands on it's own.

SA is nice, but the issue would be the SP backlog. There are a lot of good looking SA sets in the IC phase right now and even some that have already had their GB, but the problem is it's going to take forever to get them. Everything I've read indicates the SP has such a large backlog they are being pretty selective about what they want to run so that could create problems in and of itself.

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 15:12:07 »
That's my big fear. What other profile would you be personally interested in?

Offline Captainbuttmonkey

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:29:37 »
Looks nice. Vaguely similar color scheme to mechanist, but this stands on it's own.

SA is nice, but the issue would be the SP backlog. There are a lot of good looking SA sets in the IC phase right now and even some that have already had their GB, but the problem is it's going to take forever to get them. Everything I've read indicates the SP has such a large backlog they are being pretty selective about what they want to run so that could create problems in and of itself.

Completely agree, I personally don't get how SA seems to be so much more popular than every other profile but I suppose it's just a matter of taste. I think there were cases I read either on here or Reddit of SP not exactly saying no to somebody but basically that they weren't taking any more doubleshot SA orders atm? I'm not against SA but I think I'm one of very few people that actually likes all profiles. Personally I would like to see this in DSA but I don't think that it's too popular? Maybe you could try dyesub pbt SA? (somebody will probably chime in here and say dye-sub pbt wouldn't be possible because of the dark-light/light-dark needed, I can never remember which way round it works exactly =S)

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 16:58:19 »
I've actually received some interest in DSA, and I actually do like DSA, so that is certainly on the table. I'm still toying with it, but other profiles are certainly an option. I was leaning towards SA because I like the high profile look.

At this stage, profile isn't confirmed, just a thought.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 March 2017, 17:00:02 by mintyfruits »

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 17:13:44 »
I've actually received some interest in DSA, and I actually do like DSA, so that is certainly on the table. I'm still toying with it, but other profiles are certainly an option. I was leaning towards SA because I like the high profile look.

At this stage, profile isn't confirmed, just a thought.

That's nice to hear. If it happens I will more than likely buy it regardless of profile but I think DSA would be my preferred choice. This is probably the closest I would get to owning Calm Depths haha. All the best anyway and I hope it happens =].

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:09:18 »

DSA or XDA. I'm a uniform hoe, this could look nice in GMK too.

Offline mniels

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:22:01 »

Ditto on all of those points. 

Row 3 SA would be my choice (I have the Ice Cap set on my Preonic and have become quite fond of it,) but the backlog is onto 2018, I believe (as others have pointed out.)

GMK seems to be putting out sets in a pretty reasonable time frame as far as I can tell.

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 18:53:53 »

Ditto on all of those points. 

Row 3 SA would be my choice (I have the Ice Cap set on my Preonic and have become quite fond of it,) but the backlog is onto 2018, I believe (as others have pointed out.)

GMK seems to be putting out sets in a pretty reasonable time frame as far as I can tell.

Ice Cap is PBT dye sub and not ABS doubleshot. There is little to no backlog for PBT dyesub SA which I suggested earlier =].

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 19:03:06 »
Only thing is that those colours don't exist in the PBT swatches. Unfortately if we go the SA route, we will most likely have a long wait.

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 19:14:02 »
Only thing is that those colours don't exist in the PBT swatches. Unfortately if we go the SA route, we will most likely have a long wait.

Ahh, yes that may be an issue...

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 20:49:10 »
XDA would be interesting as well, but I don't have any idea what is possible regarding colors and legends.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 20:50:19 »
+1 for DSA

XDA only have PBT dyesub, there is no double shot, right?

another problem is that SA PBT is very expensive at the moment.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 21:46:42 »
The main issue with PBT dyesub is that the legends would be a no-go. 

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:16:10 »
This colorway as dyesub is out.  The legends will need to be darker than the caps for dyesub to work. 

DSA ABS is a possibility.

Another remote possibility is to see if MaxKeys would be interested in running this one.  They do seem to have several group buys in the works which may keep them busy for a bit but something to consider.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 00:21:40 »
This colorway as dyesub is out.  The legends will need to be darker than the caps for dyesub to work. 

DSA ABS is a possibility.

Another remote possibility is to see if MaxKeys would be interested in running this one.  They do seem to have several group buys in the works which may keep them busy for a bit but something to consider.

Given SP's giant SA backlog, I think this is a pretty good idea.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 11:05:47 »
I can certainly inquire with MaxKeys. Although SP may have a long backlog, we will get a great quality set.

It seems there is a lot of interest in having this set be DSA. I've gotten that from both GH and Reddit. I still like the idea of SA, but we will see. This week I'll focus on making the mockup a little more presentable and creating the add-on sets.

Offline Slash Emperor

• Lust for life lost, keyboards acquired.
Re: [IC] Blue Steel (Deciding profile)
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:06:53 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't inverted 5-side dyesubbing been tried and been a success? I thought I heard or saw dyesubber over in China do it.

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:47:18 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't inverted 5-side dyesubbing been tried and been a success? I thought I heard or saw dyesubber over in China do it.

I also thought I had heard something about inverse dye-subbing, but I can't remember specifics and I imagine it's probably still pretty experimental =S.

I can certainly inquire with MaxKeys. Although SP may have a long backlog, we will get a great quality set.

It seems there is a lot of interest in having this set be DSA. I've gotten that from both GH and Reddit. I still like the idea of SA, but we will see. This week I'll focus on making the mockup a little more presentable and creating the add-on sets.

Sounds good to me mate, gotta be honest though if you do decide to go with SP SA (provided they even accept orders atm) I think you might struggle to get enough people to put money down for something that is so far off in the future. Especially as that is assuming there are no delays or mishaps (which there always are in group buys). That timeline is also assuming every current production runs smoothly and on schedule and there are no other sets that get booked in after the current ones =S.

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:52:36 »
The SP backlog definitely makes it hard to get traction. I may run a poll to gauge interest in profile. After I get some more mockups and make them look a bit more professional, I'll probably do that.

Thanks for all your input so far!

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:53:36 »
The SP backlog definitely makes it hard to get traction. I may run a poll to gauge interest in profile. After I get some more mockups and make them look a bit more professional, I'll probably do that.

Thanks for all your input so far!

Sounds great, I look forward to it!

Offline mintyfruits

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:40:05 »
If MaxKey was an option for SA profile, would anyone be interested? Is DSA really what the community has its mind set on?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:52:08 »
Have I suggested DCS yet?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline zslane

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 20:52:31 »

Yes, with caveats. I've only seen the process applied to designs that feature swirly, noise-based graphics. And I think there is a reason for that. I suspect that the process has difficulty, at this early stage, with producing keycaps in which the entire keycap (not counting the legend) is a solid color. Consistent color saturation over an entire set is probably very difficult to achieve right now.

But I eagerly await a full-production keyset that proves me wrong.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 00:26:54 »

I also thought I had heard something about inverse dye-subbing, but I can't remember specifics and I imagine it's probably still pretty experimental =S.

Sounds good to me mate, gotta be honest though if you do decide to go with SP SA (provided they even accept orders atm) I think you might struggle to get enough people to put money down for something that is so far off in the future. Especially as that is assuming there are no delays or mishaps (which there always are in group buys). That timeline is also assuming every current production runs smoothly and on schedule and there are no other sets that get booked in after the current ones =S.

There was a Chinese company doing this.  The caps had some legend issues so it wasn't quite fully vetted a process when last I saw the thread on it.  Not sure that anyone else is doing it aside from that company for a full keyset. 

If MaxKey was an option for SA profile, would anyone be interested? Is DSA really what the community has its mind set on?

MaxKeys could certainly be an interesting option here so long as people understand and accept the kerning issues involved.  Right now I think people are waiting to see how current MaxKeys group buys go.