Author Topic: [IC] Fox Lab - Sand Glass Ergo (GB soon)  (Read 43624 times)

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
Re: [IC] Fox Lab - Sand Glass Ergo
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 07:17:00 »
ISO option please

Hmm, that will need a different top case.

Yes, please! :cool:
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 08:12:24 »
ISO option please

Hmm, that will need a different top case.

Yes, please! :cool:

I'm not sure this will ever be a thing; I mean I've seen some alice-layout boards with ISO support, and I know there is the Virgo, but here it would ask a redesign of the right part of the top case for only a couple of ISO users (I was an ISO user but let's face it, we are a really small minority).

Offline Damage

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 22:57:16 »
Hey, folks. Just a quick note. Not sure whether it's been pointed out yet or not, but the name "sand glass" is probably not the best choice. In English, we'd typically call this sort of sand timer an "hourglass." The "hourglass" shape is commonly referenced to describe objects with this sort of profile.

I don't know if it matters or is too late or whatever, but calling it "hourglass" might be more elegant and appropriate in English.

I'm not sure about this. Isn't an hourglass basically a sandglass that can count for about 1 hour?

“Hourglass” is a much more commonly used term in English, at least here in North America. “Sand glass” is relatively uncommon.

One of the top hits on Google for “sandglass” is a Korean TV series, which might explain why the word seems common to you?  :)

When I see the shape of this keyboard and wrist rest, I think “hourglass,” since that’s the word I’d use for that object. I expect other native English speakers would agree, for whatever it’s worth.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 12:00:59 »
I'm not sure this will ever be a thing; I mean I've seen some alice-layout boards with ISO support, and I know there is the Virgo, but here it would ask a redesign of the right part of the top case for only a couple of ISO users (I was an ISO user but let's face it, we are a really small minority).

I totally agree with you about ISO users, we are indeed a very small minority :p

But... if we can't ever have a chance... nothing will ever change. If I'm right, this project is still nearing completion, so why not make our voices heard? It would be nice to have a form to poll ISO interest for this forum - there really isn't much of a choice today, I hope the ISO lovers will make themselves heard!

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 12:20:26 »

I totally agree with you about ISO users, we are indeed a very small minority :p

But... if we can't ever have a chance... nothing will ever change. If I'm right, this project is still nearing completion, so why not make our voices heard? It would be nice to have a form to poll ISO interest for this forum - there really isn't much of a choice today, I hope the ISO lovers will make themselves heard!

Absolutely no harm in doing so, but I've also learn to not hope for ISO things to happen. In this particular case (pun intended), you would have to rework the border next to the pipe key to allow for the ISO Return key to fit which would mean either having no bezel there or shifting the entire TKL cluster to the right to allow for some space between the return key and the cluster.

While doable, for sure, this means Fox lab needs to design two top cases because that new design won't work for ANSI users (majority) and also means the ISO parts will be (much) more expensive and Fox lab will need to spend considerably more time during QC and, potentially, working with the factory if there is an issue with the ISO case (since you can't just order X more as a backup in case of issues and sell them later, without being sure they will sell).

In the end, it's always the same debate of "is it worth it for the designer/manufacturer" (yes, I hate myself for being the devil's advocate).

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 19:08:41 »
Please tell me it supports split backspace ?

Offline marthike135

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 05:29:47 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 January 2023, 15:36:57 by marthike135 »

Offline Tulesto

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 08:47:18 »
This is an automatic cop for me! Very excited to see where this goes!
Sangeo/Suit/Spring/Angle/CW88/Mode80/Arc/Corsa/Swift65/Neko

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 09:30:17 »
We name this kit Sand Glass Ergo for the shape of its top exterior outline.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farfalle

Yes! much more fun!

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 09:45:14 »
Please tell me it supports split backspace ?

Why? its a TKL...

There are plenty of TKL's that support split backspace

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 10:55:05 »
In the end, it's always the same debate of "is it worth it for the designer/manufacturer" (yes, I hate myself for being the devil's advocate).

Or ... it is always the same dog that bites its tail: why always think that it is not worth it?  :confused:

It would be enough just to say: "hey guys, the ISO variant can be done but it will cost more: is it okay with you?" and then let the users decide - and confirm - if there are the numbers to make it happen.  ;)

Offline 808San808

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 18:15:57 »
Very interested

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 08 January 2022, 18:58:11 »
ISO adoption is typically about 3-5% on its best days so probably not worth redesigning the entire board (which includes also doing plate and PCB! not just case) to accommodate it

split BS is a smaller ask but again, i think it's a lot less common on TKLs. my no 1 has it but only because i've been too lazy to rebuild it with full BS. 60 users like to have it to make swapping boards easier.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline CLAP_STUDIO

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 01:40:38 »
lili dpyz

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 09 January 2022, 05:15:01 »
ISO adoption is typically about 3-5% on its best days so probably not worth redesigning the entire board (which includes also doing plate and PCB! not just case) to accommodate it

And again... what's the point? Even if it were only 1% - and those interested are willing to pay even more - what is the point of not considering the possibility regardless?

By continuing to think in this way for the ISO world it will be increasingly difficult to continue ...

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 20:13:29 »
Update: prototype cases have been made. Please check the OP. The cases turn out to be just what we expected. I'm very happy with them. I'm still working on some details as well as the plate design. The prototype PCBs should be made soon as well.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 21:13:07 »
Great to see update, looking forward to this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline maximize

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 09:34:20 »
Will we be able to select a color for the top accent bar?

Offline xjack312

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 11:33:49 »
+1 hoping for split backspace, board looks beautiful
Alice enjoyer

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #69 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 11:48:40 »
Isn't the blue tad darker than the renders, is that the blue finalized?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline Tulesto

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 12:45:08 »
I was originally in on the blue but that beige is so nice in the proto
Sangeo/Suit/Spring/Angle/CW88/Mode80/Arc/Corsa/Swift65/Neko

Offline thornkin

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 19:06:26 »
Looks amazing. Any sense how big the offering will be?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline esum

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 24 January 2022, 21:22:16 »
Go go go! Wondering if you want to take advantage of that mid space like adding a "Genius Knob". similar to the DREVO knob but now in the middle.

Offline kcching

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 04:19:19 »
This looks interesting! The wrist rest integration is genius!

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 15:34:33 »
I don't think I'll ever understand the whole 'B' on both sides thing. Just learn to use your left hand for b and be done with it.
It's tough to un-learn after 30 years of touch typing the wrong way. 

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When I was about 27 I switched to a split kb. I realized right away that I had been typing 'Y' with my left hand instead of my right. I got used to typing the right way within a day or two. So I don't really buy what you're saying. People just don't want to attempt to make the change, but it's really not hard.

Whoa, you learned touch typing 3 years before you were born? Good genes I guess, lucky you!

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 16:21:44 »
I don’t often really want a keyboard, but this one I really want! Very nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 17:06:13 »
I don't think I'll ever understand the whole 'B' on both sides thing. Just learn to use your left hand for b and be done with it.
It's tough to un-learn after 30 years of touch typing the wrong way. 

When I was about 27 I switched to a split kb. I realized right away that I had been typing 'Y' with my left hand instead of my right. I got used to typing the right way within a day or two. So I don't really buy what you're saying. People just don't want to attempt to make the change, but it's really not hard.

Whoa, you learned touch typing 3 years before you were born? Good genes I guess, lucky you!
You do realize you're referring to two different posters and two different lengths of experience, right?

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline iamranger

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 23:28:42 »
I'm definitely interested. The design looks great!

Offline vi0till

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 11:51:02 »
can we have option for 2.75u spacebar on the right and 2.25u on left? thanks

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 23:56:42 »
Lit.

The left space bar is a good design choice

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 17:50:04 »
Will we be able to select a color for the top accent bar?

we're only planning on providing the combinations shown in the renders this time.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 19 February 2022, 17:51:23 »
Isn't the blue tad darker than the renders, is that the blue finalized?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

We do want to re-adjust the color to better match the blue in the renders.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 26 February 2022, 21:57:46 »
We have a discord server now: https://discord.gg/gr6ZBB9xXy

Offline less_blank

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 02 March 2022, 01:19:10 »
Nice to see alices in other layouts becoming more common. Would love if this came in silver with red accents.

Offline senter

• * Maker
Re: [IC] Fox Lab - Sand Glass Ergo (GB soon)
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 20:10:05 »
Update:

The prototype PCB has been remade and tested to be good. We will launch the GB mid this month.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 03:33:31 »
Looking really good.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Jubileus

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 09:13:59 »
Interested! Will there be an option for a 2.75u right shift? Seems kinda unnecessary since its a TKL anyway are there are lots of extra keys on the left side.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 May 2022, 09:16:09 by Jubileus »

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 13 May 2022, 15:26:58 »
This is huge in many ways, good new layout I could use for work and also literally huge
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline maximm

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 16:14:10 »
What about a brass bottom?

Offline FallenCow

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 15 May 2022, 19:48:19 »
Would it be possible to offer 2.75u on the right spacebar or shift it over to the left completely and move the 1u key? The reason I ask is because for folks like me that use the right thumb for 80%+ of the spacebar presses it'll make it more comfortable.

Offline Sylanthra

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 18:13:44 »
Any info on the PCB? Is it Via compatible? Is it hotswapable? Does it support per key RGB?

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 17 May 2022, 19:36:23 »
i still think many boards Alice boards could maybe employ something similar to the OwlRisu and have a sort of sticker for the gaps between keycaps? possibly color-matched to the case or sold in different colors to fit keycap sets?

Offline poeharl

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 17 June 2022, 23:45:36 »
Any chance of a round 2?

Offline shendoo

• *RAUGHS*
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 09:13:50 »
Absolutely love the design. But like it was already mentioned, I feel like the double B isn't necessary and also makes the look less symmetrical. I use the AV3 and you get used to the left B pretty quickly.
Also agree with people about changing the name to Hourglass, sounds much better. Anyhow, great design and will def be on the GB! Cheers

Offline Retrias

« Reply #94 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 10:46:22 »
The gb have already ended no ?

Offline ZavaZ86

« Reply #95 on: Sun, 19 June 2022, 12:34:10 »

Offline Rikvelasquez

« Reply #96 on: Thu, 29 September 2022, 13:47:17 »
Will there be a round 2 or v2 planned as I am very interested but missed the GroupBuy