geekhack Marketplace > Group Buys and Preorders

Cherry vintage beige/white 101 us ansi Kit

(1/59) > >>

Moogle Stiltzkin:
Moogle kit (Cherry vintage key supplement kit) joint project by Moogle +7bit + geekhack community who vote for the kit

*updated

12/2/2011
Revised the core kit yet again.

--- Quote ---The following below were dropped
- clarified that the other capslock was dropped, seeing as Sixty's doubleshot will already have a compatible Cherry keyboard capslock.
- Command keys have been dropped since only 1 person wanted it, and their ok with just blanks. Getting both blanks and command key is kinda a bit much.
- Function row keys were dropped (F1-F12 + 4 media keys)
--- End quote ---

11/2/2011
- Added the final Core Kit design. This is the official core kit.
- Deleted out dated info
- 7bit is currently taking orders, so read below how to order from 7bit. Do it soon, because we are wrapping this up very soon.
- updated price list added

Firstly, Sixty's Cherry Double Shot Keys (US ANSI, Beige) can be bought from here

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=14240

This set i am proposing is a patch kit for Sixty's 101 us ansi double shot set, for a more modern keyboard with 104+ keys keyboard meaning they have windows and menu key etc. Also that those keys are all sized 1.25''

The 101 set currently has 1.75'' for the big keys, so they are not compatible with say a Ducky keyboard and etc.

So why not get the remaining keys from donor Cherry boards ?? Well they are very scarce (especially for the white/beige color scheme) as was explained in this other thread

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=284324#post284324

But not only that, but seems Cherry did not make doubleshots for windows and menu key. Those are pad printed. So the only keys doubleshot are alt and control for that bottom row.

So the best option is to create a kit for it that roughly has the same color, font, font size and is also doubleshot (it's a rough approximation and the key texture won't be the same, but it's better than mismatched colored keys on your keyboard)

Moogle kit *update

Core kit:

--- Quote ---
2 x alt
2 x control
2 x windows logo keys
1 x spacebar
1 x menu key
1 x Caps Lock (centered stemmed to be compatible with Ducky/Filco etc) UNSTEPPED
2 x blank 1.25'' keys (windows logo key alternative)
1 x Right shift (compatibility for some sets that came from 1800 series keyboards)

--- End quote ---

$24/10
$18/15
$15/20
$13/25

What changed?

--- Quote ---The following below were dropped
- clarified that the other capslock was dropped, seeing as Sixty's doubleshot will already have a compatible Cherry keyboard capslock.
- Command keys have been dropped since only 1 person wanted it, and their ok with just blanks. Getting both blanks and command key is kinda a bit much.
- Function row keys were dropped (F1-F12 + 4 media keys)
--- End quote ---

This core kit has 2 choices of colors. Either white/beige (with black fonts) or black (with white fonts)

Moogle White/Beige ..........  (MOOGLEWHITE)
Moogle Black ................     (MOOGLEBLACK)

--- Quote ---7bit: OK, here are the prices for the version with the additional 2 blanks:

$24/10
$18/15
$15/20
$13/25

Before another riot starts: The right-hand shift is 2.3x expansive than the 2 blanks and alos not necessary for everybody. Leaving it out, we would have $20/10 and $11/25.
--- End quote ---

Extras:

LED window keys will have a rectangular, upright window at the bottom of the top surface.
Cherry-style LED-windows can't be produced by SP for this key family.

LED-window key (white) ....... $4 / 25 (FUNCTLEDWHITE)
LED-window key (beige) ....... $4 / 25 (FUNCTLEDBEIGE)
LED-window key (black) ....... $4 / 25 (FUNCTLEDBLACK)
LED-window Caps (beige) ...... $6 / 15 (CAPSLEDBEIGE)
LED-window Caps (black) ...... $6 / 15 (CAPSLEDBLACK)

We don't have a picture to show, but this is the previous Ducky Kit.

Geek Hackers interested in a set

1. Moogle beige/white + 3 led windowed keys

2. Moogle beige/white

3. calavera beige/white

4. calavera beige/white

5. calavera black with white fonts (with right shift)

6. calavera black with white fonts (with right shift)

7. Lootbag beige/white

8. nathanscribe beige/white (one blank 1.25 bottom row modifier, and a pair of "command" keys at 1.25, and three function-row singles labelled either "volume up/down/mute" or just blank)

9. keyboardlover beige/white + 1 x windowed led key (grey)

10. keyboardlover beige/white

11. manfaux black with white fonts

12. Citna beige/white

13. kidchunks beige/white + 1 x right shift key

14. kidchunks beige/white

15. kidchunks black with white fonts. +1 right shift keys

16. Minskleip beige/white

17. qnoxluke beige/white

18. Lenny_Nero ?

19. .XL black

Those interested in ordering a set or 2, please send your orders to 7bit_vote in the following format
http://geekhack.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=6886

E.g:
MOOGLEWHITE 1
FUNCTLEDWHITE 3
FUNCTLEDBEIGE 2
CAPSLEDBEIGE 1
EMAIL email@youraddress.xxx

PS: i made a review how sixty's double shot keys would look over here

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:14092

This is my own project for my Ducky keyboard to give you an idea what to do with sixty key set and this proposed kit

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?p=284324#post284324

FAQ.

Q. So are you the one making this kit ?

A. Not exactly. I am proposing this kit to 7bit and he will forward it to Signature Plastic. Probably not in 7bit's current MO since it may be too late; but it can be proposed in the next mo by 7bit. So basically we are just gathering people interested first before this takes off.

Q. Can SP really make this kit ?

A. SP previously said this could be done (specifically the ducky kit), but it didn't go through because not enough people signed up for it. As such i have proposed a new kit with fewer keys and just a basic one for making the 101 Cherry double shots compatible for 104 + keys modern keyboards e.g. Ducky and others.

We could later also have a poll whether people want the full original ducky kit as well; or just leave it as this new basic proposed kit.

Q. What about the incompatible capslock for non cherry keyboards ?

A. We added in one compatible capslock for Filco/Ducky, and another for Cherry keyboards.

Q. How do i sign up for this kit ?

A. Just post in this thread if you are interested and i will add your name to the list. Once we have 25 or more i will forward it to 7bit.

Q. Why should this kit matter to me ?

A. Ok if you've tried white rice's signature plastic doubleshots, they include all the compatible keys. It's nice however old Cherry vintage double shots look better in my honest opinion. You can either go with the black caps and white fonts, or the even older beige/white vintage keys. Problem is the bottom row keys such as ctrl, alt, spacebar, windows, menu as well as capslock are not compatible. That is where this kit somes in to patch it up. You might be thinking, then why not get from donor Cherry boards to fill the gaps ?? Well problem is the windows and menu key are pad printed on the cherrys, and it's not easy to get  donor keys especially for the beige/white keys.

Short story is, that without this proposed kit, your keyboard would look like this. Notice how the bottom row is out of place in this beige/white color scheme. Those black keys are lasered if i'm not mistaken.

Q. What do cherry doubleshot and dye sublimated keys look like ?

A. Sixty was kind enough to post an array of Cherry authentic doubleshot and dye sublimated keycaps.
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=15038

Q. I got Cherry dye sublimated keycaps. Would this doubleshot kit work well with it ?

A. Honestly i don't see why not. Obviously they won't look exactly the same, but they both have good contrast. And that's what is  important.

Q. Why is the Moogle kit so expensive @ 28USD for the Moogle White core kit ?

A. Well there are 31 keys in the core kit. It comes to roughly 1.1 USD per key which is pretty good considering. The best part is, it can get cheaper the more people who sign up ! So hurry now and sign up for more kits so we can reduce the price some more.

For this cherry double shot anti otaku, they resorted to using ugly blanks.

And a ducky 9008 without the kit would look like this. I used white rice's doubleshots for the bottom row, but even then it's not matching color as the beige/white :{

nathanscribe:
If you add at least one blank 1.25 bottom row modifier, and a pair of "command" keys at 1.25, and three function-row singles labelled either "volume up/down/mute" or just blank, I'd go with that.

I have needs. :-)

Moogle Stiltzkin:
I can understand the command key if your a mac user.

But blanks ? In case you think the control and alt fonts aren't so matching as you had thought ?

I think we can consider adding the commands into the set, but the blanks maybe add a poll later ?

Need to see how much this might all cost :x

10-15 USD for this kit is what i'm looking for. But it all depends on what SP say.

So mind if i put you down for a set first ?

calavera:
Please make one of my order for a beige/white kit instead of two black/white kits.

Moogle Stiltzkin:
Updated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version