Author Topic: Best way to wash my keyboard? Dishwasher?  (Read 8359 times)

Offline sofakng

Best way to wash my keyboard? Dishwasher?
« on: Mon, 24 August 2009, 19:04:07 »
I've just purchased a used Dell AT101W and it seemed clean at first glance but after feeling it I'm thinking otherwise.

So, I've taken the keyboard completely apart and have each plastic key along with the plastic keyboard frame.

Should I just throw all this stuff in my dishwasher?  My only concern is that the hot water might warp the keys... The dishwasher does have a "Rinse Only" mode but I don't know if it uses soap and I also don't know the temperature of the water.

Anyways... does anybody have any tips?

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 August 2009, 20:53:12 »
Sometimes a bath of rubbing alcohol works well, it can depend on the type of dirt.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline nvarsj

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 August 2009, 21:56:42 »
I'd be very careful with the dishwasher. I've seen keys melt at extended exposure to warm temps. At least put them in the top rack, and use air dry.

Same thing with a hair dryer, be extremely careful. I've melted a few keys before with the hair dryer, it wasn't pretty. Any type of heat can cause damage.
HHKB2

Offline sofakng

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 05:12:08 »
Thanks for the replies...

I don't know if bathing in rubbing alcohol would work because these keys feel a little sticky so I think it needs a really through cleaning.

How would you put the keys in the top rack?

I was planning to put them in the silverware tray which has a little flap I can use to make sure they don't fall out...

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 05:22:33 »
I've dishwashed several Dell ATs at 55 deg. Celsius. No problems. Just make sure the keycaps are kept in place somehow.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline Bruce

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://www.keyboardco.com
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 05:28:14 »
We're the UK distributor for these guys.
http://sealshield.com
All their kit is dishwasher safe and it works a treat but you must turn of the drying cycle. That's too hot and will melt bits. I've seen it. Great kit in a mucky environment by the way.

Offline sofakng

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 06:25:55 »
Ok, thanks everybody.

It sounds like it should be safe but I shouldn't use the drying cycle (which makes sense).

Should I use soap?  I've heard it's abrasive but I'd definitely like to sanitize these keys especially since somebody else had the keyboard before it and seemed a little sticky (eww).

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 07:11:35 »
I'd just wash the keycaps and casing in warm soapy water, and maybe alcohol. Im not sure there's much point in washing the internals.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 08:02:02 »
I use the regular dishwashing soap and the drying cycle. With Dells at least.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 08:11:19 »
Quote from: ch_123;111723
I'd just wash the keycaps and casing in warm soapy water, and maybe alcohol. Im not sure there's much point in washing the internals.

I was thinking about the same thing. Since the keyboard is already apart, while not just wash the case and the keys only? I don't see a need to wash the internals. Maybe I'm blind.

Offline Shawn Stanford

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 08:19:35 »
Dishwasher has always worked for me with my Model Ms.
The Brat Prince of COBOL

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 08:22:11 »
The only thing I would be very concerned about is if there is dirt in the switches.  Welly and I had bought a few Dells from someone that had stored them improperly, and typing on them sucked.  The switches had gotten dirt in them, and there was a lot of friction in the key press.  If the switches feel smooth, you are good to go.  Otherwise, you might want to look for a NIB version.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 08:40:50 »
The switch pcb must be cleaned by hand.

Offline sofakng

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 09:00:01 »
Yeah, I'm not cleaning the internals.  I'm only going to clean the plastic frame and the keys.

I'm still wondering about using soap though...

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 09:18:56 »
Quote from: sofakng;111738
I'm still wondering about using soap though...
Conventional soap is not very effective. Some dishwashing liquid does a far better job during hand cleaning. (Some people even clean dishes that way.) That's what I use, too.

Usually the case parts are less of a problem, but the keys tend to become laborious. Denture cleaning tabs seem to be a good option to speed up this part though, as you certainly know if you've gone through all the keycap cleaning links in the keys wiki.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 09:25:09 »
My wife just used Windex. Sprayed it right onto her Logitech keyboard and ran a rag back and forth across it. Well at least those Logitechs are good for something :P

When my board gets dirty enough, I'm going the denture cleaner route

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 09:33:46 »

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 10:23:35 »
Quote from: webwit;111748
I'm EXCITED.

This rivals the EXCITEMENT experienced when discussing the latest clothing washing techniques with these ubernerds:

They sure know how to make their brights bright.  I'm sure they make good use out the cold cycle.

Offline sofakng

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 10:41:08 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111747
In any case do not use regular dishwashing liquid in the dishwasher.

I think I'm being a little slow here, but I've read that thread and I'm STILL confused.

I guess you SHOULD NOT use dishwashing liquid while washing the keyboard?  (*confused*)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 10:45:18 »
Quote from: sofakng;111767
I think I'm being a little slow here, but I've read that thread and I'm STILL confused.

I guess you SHOULD NOT use dishwashing liquid while washing the keyboard? (*confused*)

Dishwasher detergent tends to be fairly abrasive since there is no physical scrubbing of the dishes. Using this on your keyboard parts might not be such a great idea. On the other hand, you also don't want to use regular dishwashing detergent (like Dawn) in the dishwasher, either, unless you want a sudsy mess in your kitchen. I'm not sure what others use as a cleaning agent (if any).

Offline sofakng

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 11:35:41 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111714
I've dishwashed several Dell ATs at 55 deg. Celsius. No problems. Just make sure the keycaps are kept in place somehow.

Quote from: lowpoly;111725
I use the regular dishwashing soap and the drying cycle. With Dells at least.

Since it worked for you with the Dell ATs specifically, then I'll give it a try.

By the way, that's the first mechanical keyboard I've owned and I really like the feel of it.  However, my new Filco board should be here on Friday so I'm excited to try that one too.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 12:04:32 »
Thinking about it - I may have lost the printing on the backside label once. Not sure if it was a Dell though. When I want to make sure the label is not affected I put some foil with tape over it. Or I wash the bottom half by hand.

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 13:41:02 »
If you use a dishwasher, I cant imagine why you would need any soap :S
That would do the trick for the board (just the pressure and hot water).
*word of caution- the larger and thiner the plastic the lower the tempurature in which it will warp*

For the keys just let them soak in a gallon ziplock bag or small bucket with a bit of soap. It takes only a few minutes. You can use hot water or cold (hot water (from the tap) works much quicker.

I use Comet for the keys (no longer for the boards!) a tiny bit in a bucket with keys will usually clean them in minutes. Then rinse them off and they will look like they just came out of the factory!!! :)

If you can do it by hand (and don't mind) using rubbing alcohol works insanely well! 70%, 90% whatever you happen to have. Just dab some on and rub it off and ....TAAADAAA! uber new!

experience-
I have cleaned 250+ boards and
tens of thousands of keys :)

tip you can practically clean anything (keyboard related) by just letting it sit in warm water for a couple of hours and agitating every once in a while.
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 25 August 2009, 13:45:31 »
Quote from: clickclack;111799
If you use a dishwasher, I cant imagine why you would need any soap :S
That would do the trick for the board (just the pressure and hot water).
*word of caution- the larger and thiner the plastic the lower the tempurature in which it will warp*

For the keys just let them soak in a gallon ziplock bag or small bucket with a bit of soap. It takes only a few minutes. You can use hot water or cold (hot water (from the tap) works much quicker.

I use Comet for the keys (no longer for the boards!) a tiny bit in a bucket with keys will usually clean them in minutes. Then rinse them off and they will look like they just came out of the factory!!! :)

If you can do it by hand (and don't mind) using rubbing alcohol works insanely well! 70%, 90% whatever you happen to have. Just dab some on and rub it off and ....TAAADAAA! uber new!

experience-
I have cleaned 250+ boards and
tens of thousands of keys :)

tip you can practically clean anything (keyboard related) by just letting it sit in warm water for a couple of hours and agitating every once in a while.

Seems like rubbing alcohol does the same thing, just faster.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)