Author Topic: Presentations  (Read 51170 times)

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
Presentations
« on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 15:06:45 »
Please post here if you would like to give any presentations or talks during the con.  I know we already have Fendent's cap casting demo for one of these events.  Please let us know if you would like to give a talk, so that we can schedule everything accordingly in the presentation room. 

The presentation order will be as follows - I'm happy to make any adjustments - Timing depends on when presenters arrive and how much time they have:

Joey Quinn - PCB design
Moustgun - soldering/desoldering
Fendent - artisan casting demo
Hashable - Plover stenography
NiceAndCreamy - PCB repairs, switch mods, hot air soldering
RocketGruntJake - GeehHack-A-Thon event
Booper - Q&A

« Last Edit: Fri, 23 June 2017, 13:04:07 by att1cus »

Offline fendent

• * Maker
Re: Presentations
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 18:03:36 »
Btw what are the facilities we'll have access to? If there would be some way to hook up one or two cameras to feed to a projector that would be nice. And might we have access to similar equipment for recording the sessions?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 18:05:36 »
Btw what are the facilities we'll have access to? If there would be some way to hook up one or two cameras to feed to a projector that would be nice. And might we have access to similar equipment for recording the sessions?

Rooms have been reserved!  Both rooms will look like this, and are equipped for a group of about 60 people each.

Show Image

Those are perfect man!

Thanks! These rooms have built-in streaming and they're 2 identical rooms right next to each other.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 00:18:34 »
I think it would be cool to have a presentation on PCB and/or firmware design. Even if we have to drag them in over a video call, I think that would be very cool.  I'll bug a few people to see if we can get some volunteers.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 00:25:30 »
I think it would be cool to have a presentation on PCB and/or firmware design. Even if we have to drag them in over a video call, I think that would be very cool.  I'll bug a few people to see if we can get some volunteers.

I could talk a bit about pcb design
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 04 April 2017, 07:24:01 »

You found my post before I got to PM you!  ;D

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 10:27:20 »

You should, its very intimidating to me

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 13:13:37 »

I'd love it if you could - i want a lotta information exchange :)  Maybe even a soldering demo?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 18:07:05 »

I'd love it if you could - i want a lotta information exchange :)  Maybe even a soldering demo?

I could do a soldering demo.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 18:23:25 »
Dorks.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 18:26:07 »
Dorks.

Says the guy not even going . . . . .

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 21:43:18 »

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 07:49:40 »

That'd be awesome, thanks moist. What would your plan be for a presentation/demo?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:08:11 »

That'd be awesome, thanks moist. What would your plan be for a presentation/demo?

Thats what I have to figure out.

I dont have anything that needs building right now, but maybe someone will let me build their board for them at the meet.

Just soldering switches into a PCB.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 08:51:58 »

I dont have anything that needs building right now, but maybe someone will let me build their board for them at the meet.

I know I'd love to see someone who knows what they're doing do some desoldering...

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 09:30:41 »

I know I'd love to see someone who knows what they're doing do some desoldering...

Dont torture me like that.

"What are you doing this weekend honey?"

"Driving to Philly to do some desoldering..."

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 11:06:16 »
I know the peeps from 1upkeyboards.com would love to get involved with either something like assembling a cable or assembling a board and anything in between.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 11:28:55 »

:-*

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 12:14:17 »

Haha, if you want to, you can change the switches in my RS96 to green switches.  Will need to be SIP socketed though.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 15:38:17 »

Haha, if you want to, you can change the switches in my RS96 to green switches.  Will need to be SIP socketed though.

How about some stickers too. And lubed. Thx moist bb

seriously though thanks for volunteering for a soldering demo. whatever you wan do would be awesome

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 07:34:23 »
Hey guys:

If presenters could post some times they'd feel comfortable presenting, we can put together a loose schedule.  Thanks!

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 07:42:44 »
Does anyone plan to give any presentation's on making artisans, not so much the sculpting part but the molding of  the stem and such?

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:19:13 »
Does anyone plan to give any presentation's on making artisans, not so much the sculpting part but the molding of  the stem and such?

Yes, my keycap casting demo should cover some of this. However it will not be a tutorial if that's what you're looking for. :)

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:21:21 »

Yes, my keycap casting demo should cover some of this. However it will not be a tutorial if that's what you're looking for. :)
nah thats ok, my girlfriend just picked up a :~$ynth 2.0 and wanted to see how its used first hand, or similar.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:24:50 by KnightDX »

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:22:39 »

nah thats ok, my girlfriend just picked up a :~$ynth 2.0and wanted to see how its used first hand, or similar.

Synth usage will certainly be covered :)

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 June 2017, 08:25:33 »
I also need approximate durations for everyone presentations please - thanks!

Duration estimates should include Q&A time.

Offline Hashable

• KAFP PHE TP U K
    • Ted Morin
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 18:29:15 »
I'm lead developer for Plover, the open source stenography software. I'd like to give a talk, 15 minutes (20 with QA if there's enough time, but I can shorten my part down to 10 if there isn't), on stenography and the key caps we've created for it.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 18:33:27 »
I don't want to prepare for or commit to a "presentation" but i'd do a Q&A or something if you need to fill time.
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 21 June 2017, 19:04:24 »
I don't want to prepare for or commit to a "presentation" but i'd do a Q&A or something if you need to fill time.

That would be excellent thanks!

Offline NiceAndCreamy

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 18:51:50 »
Hi, I can do demos for soldering, desoldering, PCB repair, switch mods, PCB design, casting, or SMD hot air soldering.  I dont really need a set time or anything and I think Ill just bring most of my gear.

Offline LiL_BrOwNiE247

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 22:26:44 »
Hi, I can do demos for soldering, desoldering, PCB repair, switch mods, PCB design, casting, or SMD hot air soldering.  I dont really need a set time or anything and I think Ill just bring most of my gear.

I'd very much be interested in this. I'm pretty new to the hobby and have been meaning to learn how to solder in case I decide to build my own board. Might as well learn from the master himself rather than YouTube videos!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 23 June 2017, 13:05:00 »
updated the original post with a loose order of presenters :)