Author Topic: Das Keyboard  (Read 1322 times)

Offline MyNameIsFinn

Das Keyboard
« on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 17:44:38 »
Ordered mine yesterday any experiences with them
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filco TKL MX Brown

Offline DalaiLameR

Das Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 17:59:48 »
It was my first mech keyboard. I loved everything about it except the glossy finish.
You will love it, too :)
Welcome to the club!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Model M SSK ReAlforce 88UB 45g Filco MX Blue Filco MX Red

Offline pitashen

Das Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 18:22:32 »
After an hour of use, finger prints and smudges were all over the shiny surface. Got rid of it the next day.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline patrickgeekhack

Das Keyboard
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 19:46:15 »
Quote from: pitashen;519947
After an hour of use, finger prints and smudges were all over the shiny surface. Got rid of it the next day.

I always hear this complaint and I would like to know something (not being sarcastic). The only time the shiny surface can get fingerprint is when someone actually touches the shiny surface. Is it because you rest your wrists when typing? I don't, and therefore don't have a problem with fingerprints on the shiny surface, except a little bit near the arrows. It does gather some dust thought. That said, I love mine.

Offline MyNameIsFinn

Das Keyboard
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 20:25:19 »
Quote from: pitashen;519947

Im fairly certain the only way that could happen is if you touched the shiny surface..

Solution: Don't touch the shiny surface
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Filco TKL MX Brown

Offline Fawley

Das Keyboard
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 20:31:30 »
Congratulations, it's a great keyboard, my first too.  Like some of the others, I tend to type on the keys and never had a problem with the glossy finish.  My Das was very high quality.  And Metadot's in Austin.  Hook'em.

Offline pitashen

Das Keyboard
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 20:42:10 »
Quote from: MyNameIsFinn;520060
Im fairly certain the only way that could happen is if you touched the shiny surface..

Solution: Don't touch the shiny surface

lol, good luck not touching the surface.

I actually never owned a DAS. Never a fan of bulky keyboard to start with :P

Offline pitashen

Das Keyboard
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 20:45:59 »
Quote from: ripster;520082
When having sex with women ask about their experiences BEFORE you complete the deal.

+1
reason why i made up the above "experience“  lolol

Offline foureight84

Das Keyboard
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 21:04:04 »
it's a nice keyboard. first mechanical i've owned. i got the the cherry mx brown version. i don't mind the gloss finish. i usually don't man handle my keyboards. i would love to replace these keys with a metallic caps though. it's a nice keyboard and i would hate to see the keys wear out and get glossy.

Offline Playtrumpet

Das Keyboard
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 22:14:50 »
I've had mine for months. Slowly been replacing the keys at my leisure/pleasure. Glossy finish gets small scratches that you don't notice. Mine isn't dirty/dusty/finger-printy at all so maybe it's just environment-dependent. Treat your keyboard nicely and it'll look nice.

Overall I think it's a good board, but its resell value doesn't seem so great. For my next board I won't go for a Das for a couple reasons, resell value included. Switches are plate-mounted which means no switch switching without soldering/desoldering which isn't so convenient. Also, I really don't need a numpad and the extra bulk can hinder ergonomic mouse/trackpad use. Otherwise, I think it's a fine keyboard, albeit a bit overpriced.
Dvorak

Offline megaDAS

Das Keyboard
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 22:28:15 »
I have had my das professional silent.  The first thing that i noticed is how smooth the keys are compared to logitech and microsoft key caps.  Then i noticed how quick the wasd keys were wearing off.  In order to prevent that from happening any further i bought the wasd key set and couldn't be any happier.  The next thing that i noticed was this metallic noise coming from all the keys with stabilizers.  So i followed the lubrication guide and now it works perfect!  I love my das keyboard and i have no problem with the shiny surfaces on it.

Offline Awful

• Don't Topre.
Das Keyboard
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 20 February 2012, 22:44:57 »
I'm typing this on my Das. I love this thing. I threw red key caps from wasdkeyboards.com onto mine looks pretty snazzy. I agree with most everyone else the shiny finish is very annoying. I didn't think I would be touching the area and putting finger prints on it myself. Then I realized that it's constantly covered in smudges from my palms glancing it. Oh well, doesn't hurt the functionality in any way.
I hate everything.

Offline patrickgeekhack

Das Keyboard
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 07:50:12 »
Quote from: ripster;520082
When having sex with women ask about their experiences BEFORE you complete the deal.

Good luck getting an honest answer from them. This works both ways actually.