Author Topic: BOX whites in the office?  (Read 4972 times)

Offline ergonaut

BOX whites in the office?
« on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 03:32:11 »
Hi,

I'd like to get a new keyboard for work and would love to give BOX Whites a try, but I'm a bit worried about the noise in an office setting. I'm working in an office with 8 other people; currently, I'm using a Kinesis Advantage with MX Browns, and my colleagues are mostly using the Macbook Butterfly keyboards, and nobody complains about keyboard noise. I have no idea how much louder the Whites would be. Those of you who have experienced them, what is your opinion on this?

Offline mode

Re: BOX whites in the office?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 03:49:24 »
Straight up ask them if they care. They might care, they might not, but we're not the ones you should be asking.

Offline yui

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 04:54:20 »
the question seemed to have been "are the white box switches louder than brown?" not "will my colleagues mind?" to the former, i never used a white box keyboard but i used a brown and it was almost as loud as my model M and switches loudness is very much dependent on your case and caps.
In theory white box are much louder than brown by themselves, the only way to know is to try, or wait for someone more knowledgeable to come by.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline mode

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 05:02:08 »
My advice was candid, I asked my coworkers while I was using dampened alps, they didn't care, now I use undampened. You may well be surprised by how not bothered most people are.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 05:59:34 »
Hi,

I'd like to get a new keyboard for work and would love to give BOX Whites a try, but I'm a bit worried about the noise in an office setting. I'm working in an office with 8 other people; currently, I'm using a Kinesis Advantage with MX Browns, and my colleagues are mostly using the Macbook Butterfly keyboards, and nobody complains about keyboard noise. I have no idea how much louder the Whites would be. Those of you who have experienced them, what is your opinion on this?

To be fair, any clicky switch is loud and could lead to you being the chaotic evil in the office. To counteract this, please use tactiles instead

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 07:42:42 »
To be fair even normal tactile/Linear switches are to loud. I genuinely asked first time if my keyboard would bother the real answer is yes.  In a open office if you really want to make 0 enemies i would just go with MX silent switches or Topre.

current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ergonaut

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 08:59:17 »
Man, you guys are no fun!

All I wanted to hear is "Yes, ergonaut (if that's even your real name), you can use the Whites, your colleagues will love the sound!".

j/k, I get it. It's just that I recently discovered that I really like the feel of clicky switches. I suppose there's no such thing as a silent clicky switch, right? ;)

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 09:13:18 »
well you can always try, putting a bit of silicon rubber where the clicker spring hit may do something, who knows
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 11:24:11 »

All I wanted to hear is "Yes, ergonaut (if that's even your real name), you can use the Whites, your colleagues will love the sound!".

j/k, I get it. It's just that I recently discovered that I really like the feel of clicky switches. I suppose there's no such thing as a silent clicky switch, right? ;)

Yep. Unfortuately, no

Offline Straw

• NIEWB
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 12:25:36 »
tactile switches are going to have some sound. some people may like it, some may not mind and some may hate it, I asked my coworkers if it would bother them, but truthfully I didn't care. either way, I was still bringing my board no matter how they felt. so far no one has complained, but again, I wouldn't care if they did. I use MX clears and MX blues and i am hunting for a board with heavy pale blues. if someone complains they can buy some headphones. if you are the type of person that is irritated but something as simple as a bit of clicking you have bigger problems in life and not one of them is my issue.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 17:42:35 »

SKCM White damped says hello
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!