Author Topic: [IC] CW 88/60 (PROJECT SCRAPPED AND UPDATED)  (Read 62940 times)

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Re: [IC](nt)CRUEL WORLD® CW88 + CW60
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:09:14 »
Insta buy if available in more colors.

That’s the idea eventually! Once I can prove consistency in the dye process with this run I’d like to expand into other colors as well.

Out of curiosity, what colors would you like to see offered?

I'll bet most people would love pastels of all colors.

Offline thestateofmay

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:21:38 »
Oh, and also looking for the plateless option lol

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:34:28 »
Really dig the aesthetics. Looking forward to more info on this.
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline syke

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:45:01 »
Nice looking TKL. Pity it is WKL.

Offline cmd

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:02:35 »

What...? I think you need to look for another board bruv. I am no scientist but I am certain plate less is not a thing that can be done here.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:06:24 by cmd »

Offline cmd

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:03:33 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:05:23 by cmd »

Offline Luciqueii

• 【Luciquell & Co.】
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 07:19:37 »
So, no renders from a side view?

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 14:20:43 »
Nice looking TKL. Pity it is WKL.
Next round I promise.
Not sure I can quite help you there.
Insta buy if available in more colors.

That’s the idea eventually! Once I can prove consistency in the dye process with this run I’d like to expand into other colors as well.

Out of curiosity, what colors would you like to see offered?

I'll bet most people would love pastels of all colors.
Noted!
So, no renders from a side view?
Not at this time, prototypes are in production so stay tuned for more info.
Really dig the aesthetics. Looking forward to more info on this.
Thanks! I'll have more up as the month progresses.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 19:29:31 »
So the dye process is a surface finish treatment as opposed to a formulation of PC featuring a colourant additive (which is likely prohibitively expensive)?

If this is the case, how does the dying process work? On a scale of wood stain to anodization, where would it lay for comparison?

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:23:39 »
So the dye process is a surface finish treatment as opposed to a formulation of PC featuring a colourant additive (which is likely prohibitively expensive)?

If this is the case, how does the dying process work? On a scale of wood stain to anodization, where would it lay for comparison?

Correct, what you're describing is injection molded polycarbonate (similar to the process in making our silicone gaskets) while this is a surface treatment. We're using a circulated cold-water solvent based, timed, immersion technique with a stop/start bath and a very high quality commercial plastics dye. Use of a timed, dilluted solvent creates a more color saturated product while avoiding compromising the integrity of the plastic. It also avoids having to introduce heat to the equation to prevent warping and keep the fit tight.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:29:16 »
Correct, what you're describing is injection molded polycarbonate (similar to the process in making our silicone gaskets) while this is a surface treatment. We're using a circulated cold-water solvent based, timed, immersion technique with a stop/start bath and a very high quality commercial plastics dye. Use of a timed, dilluted solvent creates a more color saturated product while avoiding compromising the integrity of the plastic. It also avoids having to introduce heat to the equation to prevent warping and keep the fit tight.

Really interesting, this sort of process is not something I am at all familiar with, excited to see how the process turns out!

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 14:42:53 »

Really interesting, this sort of process is not something I am at all familiar with, excited to see how the process turns out!

Thanks! I'll have dye samples here shortly to show everybody. It's a very involved process and there are lots of opportunities to fumble it.

Dye pigment can settle on parts leaving splotches and fades, introduction of heat can warp plastic if handled improperly during the process (in thinner pieces I've been told that even high impact plastics can become slightly brittle over time), some solvents are potentially dangerous (super combustible, anyone considering doing this at home please do not heat up a penetrating solvent, if you do be weary of what medium you use to dillute it as this can create a volatile chemical reaction) and an improperly measured medium/inaccurately timed dye bath will straight up dissolve your enclosure.

It's been a fun problem to navigate but I'm fortunate enough to know people that work in this very specific industry.

Offline adamjohari

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 01:07:29 »
I think what we can learn from Infinitum is that don't worry too much about the price. Put something out there that's really high quality. Have a really good typing test (eg: koen romers). People will buy into it. Watching this closely. Good luck!
After | KBD8X Mk2 | Prophet | Ducky One 2 Mini

GMK Laser | ePBT Kon MoMo | Infinikey Port | Sanctuary Rebirth PBT | GMK Deep Navy

Offline thestateofmay

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 01:16:32 »
I'm so excited for this  ;D

Offline __B

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 07:05:45 »
Defo going to cop!!

Offline thestateofmay

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 31 May 2020, 23:27:16 »
This is right now the only HHKB PC case with PC half plate and gasket mount. The aesthetic is also on point. I've been looking for a month now and the only other option is Polaris PC but the GB is over.

Any updates on this? I'm waiting for this like a little kid and his Christmas present lol.

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
Re: [IC] ACW 88% & 60% (Polycarbonate) PROTOTYPES DELIVERED
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 14:50:36 »
A few quick pictures before prototypes are dropped off for dye and surface treatment. Expect quite a few updates, pictures and an official groupbuy thread here shortly.

Those interested can follow us on Discord for more direct updates: https://discord.gg/cGQhbhm

« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2020, 14:54:42 by acruelwrld »

Offline ab042896

Re: [IC] ACW 88% + 60% - Dyed Polycarb (PROTOTYPE UPDATE)
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 19:08:07 »
Looking clean, excited to see how the dyeing process comes out  :thumb:

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 22:19:18 »
Looking clean, excited to see how the dyeing process comes out  :thumb:

Should be ready over the next few day. Thanks for your interest!

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 18:21:00 »

Dye samples starting to drop!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 21:28:08 »
Well ain't that something for the blue/purple Nintendo 64 fans.

Edit:
What other colors are you looking to sample. Any chance for a dark green?
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 July 2020, 01:41:18 by noorejji »

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 02:51:07 »
That is a little more purple than I was expecting.  I like the dark blue or the charcoal colour.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline MMKB

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 11:08:43 »
Looks really promising. Bezels are thick and clean too. I’ll probably get it cerakoted in some less saturated color if you could offer a ready-to-paint option  :thumb:

Offline Tonkatonk

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 13:09:34 »
Show Image

Dye samples starting to drop!

It is a cruel world after all.

Noxary PC268.2 | Red Nunu | Purple PC Nunu | Ogre | Vulcan Pro

Offline Nvr_Smile

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 22:17:19 »
Looks really promising. Bezels are thick and clean too. I’ll probably get it cerakoted in some less saturated color if you could offer a ready-to-paint option  :thumb:

Board will also be offered undyed, so you could probably paint that.

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 18:51:24 »
Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. If you don't follow the Discord I've just launched a private prototype groupbuy implementing some slight functional design changes.

Attached are mylar zips that will ship with the our upcoming F13 TKL groupbuy. One of the things that I've always thought could use improvement in terms of the group buy format is the understandable lack of customer care following your purchase. Though it's difficult to provide this level of attentiveness as most groupbuys are run by a handful of people at most - I was convinced there had to be a way to bridge the gap between designer and customer and better organize details specific to your purchase without requiring you to dig through old Geekhack posts.

Scanning this QR code with your phone will take you to a private page with the following information:

- Future groupbuy schedule. From add-on parts (plates, different weights, personalized cablework) to other groupbuys.

- Hardware specifications. Lose a screw? Need to replace a JST connector? Save yourself some time and effort.

- Collaborator links. In the event that you sell your board, attaching the card for the next buyer will let it's new owner know who to contact in the event that they need to replace a PCB or commission a different colored cable.

- Build guides. First build? Unsure of how to solder a JST connector? Detailed infographics will make the process smoother and save you from botching your new keyboard build.

- Photo submission. I desperately want to see what you do with your kit! Submitting your build guarantees that I can see it and thusly add it to a planned user submitted gallery.

As transparency and communication are important to me I’d love to see what other ideas you guys have in mind, feel free to suggest what other information you’d like to see so I can make a better product! To those of you contacting me about the inclusion of the Black LEMO cable groupbuy being run by Coaxius Cables. I’m already figuring out a way to implement this product into future group buys, just not this one in particular.

As always, if you'd like to follow this project more closely check us out on Discord: https://discord.gg/bCBem4E
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 23:31:39 by acruelwrld »

Offline prizeS

• TastyKeys
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 21:06:25 »
great update. really like the idea with bridging the gap between warranty and service after purchase. i think that's going to become a bigger and bigger talking point as the hobby grows, and im glad someone is bringing it up.

as someone that's trying to potentially run a board as well it's definitely interesting. definitely count me in on the GB as well, smoked PC F13 TKL is a must buy for me. cheers and GL with this round of protos.
i lub 65% and wkl tkl.

Offline basedRNC

« Reply #77 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 21:33:11 »
🤩😮😮 PLEASE make a 65

Offline kiandelmundo

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 00:17:38 »
Gameboy vibes right there

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 21:04:42 »
great update. really like the idea with bridging the gap between warranty and service after purchase. i think that's going to become a bigger and bigger talking point as the hobby grows, and im glad someone is bringing it up.

as someone that's trying to potentially run a board as well it's definitely interesting. definitely count me in on the GB as well, smoked PC F13 TKL is a must buy for me. cheers and GL with this round of protos.
thanks for your interest!
🤩😮😮 PLEASE make a 65
A few other things in the works before I get to a 65%, luckily there's tons of cool options coming out lately it seems like.

Offline zap2oz

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 23:36:58 »
Proto looks great! Looking forward to the GB

Offline pickoloh

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 11:35:01 »
interested!
k e e b

Offline nalgene

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 11:50:34 »
Not sure if the IC is closed, but getting a domain error on the site you link for the form.

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 12:20:12 »
Not sure if the IC is closed, but getting a domain error on the site you link for the form.

Thanks for pointing this out! The original IC is being hosted on our site which is currently down for construction + addition of our webshop. Once our new prototypes arrive and updated version will feature all of the many changes and additional options that this project has been afforded.

In the interim I encourage you to join us on Discord as updates happen frequently.

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 31 August 2020, 17:26:57 »
Hey there gang, stopping by with some quick updates.

Just received the finalized cabling samples from Coaxius cables and the newest reiteration of the Hineybush H88 for our private prototype groupbuy.

Those interested can fill out the revised IC for both boards here:

ACW88: https://forms.gle/kvCQqCwQ7B7KFb3UA

ACW60: https://forms.gle/ieHpoL4H9YqduYUY7

Updates are posted frequently in the Discord: https://discord.gg/ZY3frys

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 10:18:28 »
Finalized prototype for ACW88 before they're off to get dyed.

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 10:44:40 »
interested
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 13:07:18 »
Looks awesome.  Y’all got any plans for aqua/teal?

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 00:34:31 »
Collaborator links are a great idea! Do you mean links to contact the cable and PCB fabs like hexaphant of coaxius and hineybush? Would also be a nice touch to add a certificate of authenticity or card of info that helps trace who the board changed hands with as well to understand the chain of ownership.

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 00:35:13 »
btw, the nicethingscruelworld.com website is no longer active.

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 06:35:36 »
are there any more pictures for the mounting of the plate?

Offline cruelworld

• Formerly 'acruelwrld'
    • cruel world
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 12:41:06 »
Collaborator links are a great idea! Do you mean links to contact the cable and PCB fabs like hexaphant of coaxius and hineybush? Would also be a nice touch to add a certificate of authenticity or card of info that helps trace who the board changed hands with as well to understand the chain of ownership.

The QR card features a lot of this. I like the idea of adding a sort of ledger to know how the board has progressed through the aftermarket. Thanks for your input!

are there any more pictures for the mounting of the plate?

I'll take some pictures this afternoon in terms of how the gaskets slide on and fit into the board.

Looks awesome.  Y’all got any plans for aqua/teal?

I'm prototyping an 87 key standardized TKL based around the H87, for the third color I'm considering some shade of blue as it's been requested quite a bit. As the dye process is applied by a third party fabricator I'm trying to limit it to three colors per layout. 60 for example features pink, 88 is purple, some sort of blue for an 87.

btw, the nicethingscruelworld.com website is no longer active.

Website is pulled for maintenance in the meantime but I'll have it up shortly with the webshop once we're closer to the Oct 15th groupbuy date. This thread will also split up into board specific groupbuy threads just to keep things easier to navigated.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 22:03:34 »
87 key in a shade of blue is my jam  :thumb:

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #93 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 02:15:13 »
That CW60 looks great! I would say, the CW88 would have been an easy sell but I'm not real big on fixed cables.

Interested to hear about pricing for both

Offline Harke

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 07:47:54 »
In for the TKL.
Soldering burns build character.

Offline kevchigga

« Reply #95 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 08:36:27 »
Looking really good! What's the price point we're looking at here?

Offline Nvr_Smile

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 15:26:01 »
Looking really good! What's the price point we're looking at here?

Base of $550 USD for ACW88 and $375 for the ACW60. Price will be higher if you want the board dyed or want SS weigh/plate.

Offline dibstern

« Reply #97 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 08:16:20 »
A few quick pictures before prototypes are dropped off for dye and surface treatment. Expect quite a few updates, pictures and an official groupbuy thread here shortly.

Show Image

Show Image

Those interested can follow us on Discord for more direct updates: https://discord.gg/cGQhbhm
Am I weird for really liking this pre-dye colour?

Edit: Oh wait it's not hot swap, never mind
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 September 2020, 08:20:53 by dibstern »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 21:44:18 »

Show Image

Show Image

Am I weird for really liking this pre-dye colour?

Edit: Oh wait it's not hot swap, never mind

the board not supporting hotswap shouldn't be a deal breaker :(

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 22:15:25 »
gl
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!