Author Topic: Welcome new members!  (Read 793264 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Welcome new members!
« Reply #600 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 02:53:02 »
Happy to join you all. Am a php coder, below are my few sample work

Custom PC builderhttp://www.pcpickerpro.co
Track courierhttp://www.afterdispatch.com

Welcome to Geekhack!

What keyboard are you using?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #601 on: Sun, 22 May 2016, 21:30:21 »
hi all, not a coder or anyone like that, just a regular guy, who just found out about mech kb and really loving it! so much that I'm buying mech kb to give to close friends.  :p

love to learn more and hopefully in the future be able to contribute something back!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #602 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 05:56:30 »
hi all, not a coder or anyone like that, just a regular guy, who just found out about mech kb and really loving it! so much that I'm buying mech kb to give to close friends.  :p

love to learn more and hopefully in the future be able to contribute something back!

Welcome to Geekhack!

You definitely don't have to be a coder to appreciate a good keyboard, just as you don't haev to be a race driver to appreciate a good car, or an artist to appreciate a good fountain pen.

Which keyboard have you got?  And which one are you buying for your friend?  (Lucky friend!)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #603 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 08:41:04 »
thank you!

;D

i'm currently using a team wolf zhuque i got off taobao.

with brown othemu switches and i got a couple more of the same ones at one time, to save on shipping, so my friends are using the sam eones as i am.

:thumb:

Offline rorschach

« Reply #604 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 16:26:01 »
Hello GH, first time poster here. Been lurking for couple of months.

First off thank you all for the awesome content, enthusiasm and encouragement!

Me so far .. Poker with MX Blue (co-worker complaints - may be I should've to moved to where rest of the eng. folks are sitting), Poker with MX Red - so far my favorite MX switch! It's like typing on butter. HHKB with black blank caps - slowly growing into it ;-)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #605 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:53:45 »
thank you!

;D

with brown othemu switches and i got a couple more of the same ones at one time, to save on shipping, so my friends are using the sam eones as i am.

Team wolf zhuque - yet another keyboard I haven't heard of :))  So many of them - when I started this hobby there were only about half a dozen that people recommended.  Things were much simpler back then.

Then some damned fool went and invented electricity and things have been going downhill ever since :p

I was also going to say at least the Team wolf zhuque has a standard layout, so finding suitable replacement keycap sets will be much easier.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:55:50 by rowdy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #606 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 05:55:06 »
Hello GH, first time poster here. Been lurking for couple of months.

First off thank you all for the awesome content, enthusiasm and encouragement!

Me so far .. Poker with MX Blue (co-worker complaints - may be I should've to moved to where rest of the eng. folks are sitting), Poker with MX Red - so far my favorite MX switch! It's like typing on butter. HHKB with black blank caps - slowly growing into it ;-)

Welcome to Geekhack!

If you think people complain about MX blues, try using a buckling spring keyboard!  I did - it didn't end well :))

You are a fan of 60% keyboards, I'm guessing.  And you already have an HHKB.  Looks like you have all the keyboards you need ;)

Yeah, right, this place isn't called Wallethack for nothing :p

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #607 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 05:15:44 »

Team wolf zhuque - yet another keyboard I haven't heard of :))  So many of them - when I started this hobby there were only about half a dozen that people recommended.  Things were much simpler back then.

Then some damned fool went and invented electricity and things have been going downhill ever since :p

I was also going to say at least the Team wolf zhuque has a standard layout, so finding suitable replacement keycap sets will be much easier.

yes, tonnes of them out there now!

the standard layout helps with finding keycaps for sure.

Offline Corncob

« Reply #608 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 11:27:42 »
Howdy fellas, new guy here.  My account's a little over a month old but I've only really used it for the Artisan Services forum, though I have lurked a bit in the others.

I'm not sure I've got much worth adding discussion-wise since I'm new to mechanical keyboards in general and I don't know too much on the subject, but I'm sure that'll change with more lurking.  I'm looking forward to learning more about it, but I can't say the same for my wallet.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #609 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 13:16:13 »
Howdy fellas, new guy here.  My account's a little over a month old but I've only really used it for the Artisan Services forum, though I have lurked a bit in the others.

I'm not sure I've got much worth adding discussion-wise since I'm new to mechanical keyboards in general and I don't know too much on the subject, but I'm sure that'll change with more lurking.  I'm looking forward to learning more about it, but I can't say the same for my wallet.

Welcome :) You don't have to lurk, join in on the discussions or ask some questions :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #610 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 06:05:13 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

By my reckoning your account is just over 2 months old.  All you need is another 24 posts and you can create classifieds threads :p

It doesn't take much to contribute - browse through the various sections and you might find a question you can answer, or an opinion you can give.  Or in the other geeky stuff there's discussions about all sorts of non-keyboard tech.  And then there's off topic where almost anything goes (and usually does).

When I joined I didn't know how much I'd be able to contribute.  And look what happened :rolleyes:

Offline peazy

« Reply #611 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 09:36:30 »
hello!

I've been a lurker here and on r/mechanicalkeyboards for some time. Recently I posted a concept for a keycap on reddit that got a lot of positive response! Now I am compiling research and supplies to start making 'em. 

A little extra about me : I'm a student living in FL studying Horticultural science. I love plants, games, and most of all, my cat Beans!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #612 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 13:39:47 »
Uma Thurman <3

Hehe, welcome.

Offline peazy

« Reply #613 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 15:14:20 »
thanks! I see you're from Orlando. that is my hometown! I recently moved to gainesville and miss orlando a lot. hope you are having a nice time there haha  :thumb:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #614 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 15:20:44 »
thanks! I see you're from Orlando. that is my hometown! I recently moved to gainesville and miss orlando a lot. hope you are having a nice time there haha  :thumb:

I'm from the area let's put it that way haha. Gainesville is cool, I've been there a few times for shows and stuff like that. Use to have a crazy punk rock scene way back when from what I can remember

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #615 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 00:44:54 »
hello!

I've been a lurker here and on r/mechanicalkeyboards for some time. Recently I posted a concept for a keycap on reddit that got a lot of positive response! Now I am compiling research and supplies to start making 'em. 

A little extra about me : I'm a student living in FL studying Horticultural science. I love plants, games, and most of all, my cat Beans!

Welcome (again) to Geekhack!

Not sure we have any horticulturists here, although I wouldn't be surprised if there are!

Feel free to create a suitably named thread in off topic and you might find some like-minded members :)

Offline Jill

« Reply #616 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 19:57:31 »
Hey folk, welcome :D
by the way, what is othemu?
thank you!
router login http://192168-1-1.mobi
;D

« Last Edit: Mon, 25 July 2016, 19:59:12 by Jill »

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #617 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 20:16:53 »
Outemu (or Gaote) switch eh? Hot-swappable switches sound neat. There have been a few GH members that have verified the rigidity of the sockets so I'm less worried about them popping out with the keycaps than I was when I first heard of them. Welcome :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #618 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 06:08:27 »
Hey folk, welcome :D
by the way, what is othemu?

Welcome to Geekhack!

Another type of switch, as csmertx noted.

This thread seems to suggest that they are not very high on the quality ladder.

Offline MadGinga

• Whats this button do?
« Reply #619 on: Thu, 16 June 2016, 09:50:12 »
Hi All,

MadGinga here, got into the Mech KB shenaigans, through a donation of a Ducky Zero (Cherry MX Browns).
Currently own the following:
  • Ducky Shine 5 RGB, CMX browns [combo stock with white alphas and numpad numbers taken from an ANSI set + modifiers on alt, alt gr, esc & calc] (main)
  • 2x Ducky Zero, CMX browns [stock caps] (work)
  • Poker II, CMX reds [Nostalgia black/orange keycaps + PEXON custom 'orange camo' usb cable]
  • KB Paradise V60 GTR, gateron browns [stock caps]
  • Misc cap sets, RoW (ANSI), WoR (ANSI), WoR (UK-ISO)

Mainly joined 'cause I REALLY want to get hold of a UK-ISO (full) Toxic keycap set.... but they seem to be rarer than hens teeth!
  • Custom 60%, CMX Browns (UK-ISO) [Nostalgia black/orange keycaps + orange/black braided usb cable]
  • Ducky Shine 5 RGB, CMX browns (ISO-UK)[combo stock with white alphas and numpad numbers taken from an ANSI set + modifiers on alt, alt gr, esc & calc] (server)
  • 2x Ducky Zero, CMX browns (ISO-UK) [stock caps] (work)
  • Poker II, CMX reds (ANSI) [stock caps]
  • Misc cap sets, Tai-Hao Miami (UK-ISO), Tai-Hao Sunset (UK-ISO), GMK Nautilus (UK-ISO) [on order], JTK Toxic x2 (UK-ISO) [on order]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #620 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 01:53:57 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

That's quite a collection that a simple Ducky Zero donation has spawned - have you got a favourite switch?

The Toxic GB is still shipping to some places, but I think that most people who ordered it have held on to their sets.

Your best bet might be to lurk around classifieds to see if someone does end up selling theirs.

Once you have 2 months membership (achievement get) and 25 posts, you can create your own WTB thread there.

Good luck :)

Offline k e y b o a r d

« Reply #621 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 13:11:45 »
Hey, guys! New member here! ;D

Just bought my first keyboard, the Leopold FC750R, from MK.com! Heard that the stock keycaps are amazing, build quality is top-notch, and a ton of more good things about it! Really excited to get it...

Anyways, glad to be part of this awesome community now!

Offline pepmaster

« Reply #622 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 21:57:51 »
Hello All!

Well, just like most of you, I too was once a lurker on gh! After learning so much and getting so much information, I decided to stop being a creep and finally make an account. I ended up getting myself a duckyshine 5 keyboard with nature white switches and slapped some max dark clear front printed keycaps. I am a fan of the artisan keycaps and hope to one day be a proud owner someday.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 July 2016, 22:00:01 by pepmaster »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #623 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 01:49:29 »
Hey, guys! New member here! ;D

Just bought my first keyboard, the Leopold FC750R, from MK.com! Heard that the stock keycaps are amazing, build quality is top-notch, and a ton of more good things about it! Really excited to get it...

Anyways, glad to be part of this awesome community now!

Welcome to Geekhack!

A more complete version of this welcome can be found in your official new member thread ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #624 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 01:51:20 »
Hello All!

Well, just like most of you, I too was once a lurker on gh! After learning so much and getting so much information, I decided to stop being a creep and finally make an account. I ended up getting myself a duckyshine 5 keyboard with nature white switches and slapped some max dark clear front printed keycaps. I am a fan of the artisan keycaps and hope to one day be a proud owner someday.

Welcome to Geekhack!

With a little care, the Ducky should last you for many years.  I have a Shine 1 that has had heavy daily use for about 3 years and hasn't missed a beat!

What are the nature white switches like?  I guess you haven't got much to compare them to.  At least not yet, anyway ...

Any particular artisan keycaps?  There are so many these days :)

Offline pepmaster

« Reply #625 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 17:34:00 »
Nature whites feel really nice. You're right about not having anything to compare them to...the only thing I could say is that you really don't have to press down too far to have the key register. Probably 20%? I'm glad to hear that your duckyshine is still kicking, and I'm hoping mine to do the same as well. The artisan keycap that I'm really looking forward to getting is the Sparkle Loft Artisan Keycap. I've already requested on Massdrop but don't know how long it'll be before the drop is up again. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #626 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 05:50:53 »
Nature whites feel really nice. You're right about not having anything to compare them to...the only thing I could say is that you really don't have to press down too far to have the key register. Probably 20%? I'm glad to hear that your duckyshine is still kicking, and I'm hoping mine to do the same as well. The artisan keycap that I'm really looking forward to getting is the Sparkle Loft Artisan Keycap. I've already requested on Massdrop but don't know how long it'll be before the drop is up again. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Actually I have three Ducky Shines :))

Two Shine 1 (one of which has heavy daily usage for several years, the other spends most of its time on the shelf) and a Shine 3 (which I'm using to type this).

My Shine 3 is the Yellow Edition with MX blacks, although when I took the keycaps off the LEDs looked more orange than yellow.  I was a bit disappointed.

It's got thick SA keycaps on it at the moment, but not so I can't see the backlighting.

Offline brizzzle

• ipee9932cd
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 01:09:20 »
Just recently found r/mechanicalkeyboards and have found myself here several times. I have fallen down the rabbit hole... I want to try to make my own caps now.

I've been using a DAS with cherry blues for a few years and recently added some o-rings.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #628 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 06:03:16 »
Just recently found r/mechanicalkeyboards and have found myself here several times. I have fallen down the rabbit hole... I want to try to make my own caps now.

I've been using a DAS with cherry blues for a few years and recently added some o-rings.

Welcome to Geekhack!

I recall the fuss made with the DAS was produced with blank keycaps (so-called otaku keycaps).  That DAS is still producing keyboards today says something for the quality of them!

Have the O-rings made much of a difference for you?  I tried a few on a Ducky with MX blues but they reduced the downstroke too much for my liking.

Offline brizzzle

• ipee9932cd
« Reply #629 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 22:02:49 »
Have the O-rings made much of a difference for you?

Yeah, I'm a bit heavy with my key presses so 1 o-ring was enough to soften the noise. I tried 2 but the actuation was too short and I had to lift off further from the key.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #630 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 06:20:04 »
Have the O-rings made much of a difference for you?

Yeah, I'm a bit heavy with my key presses so 1 o-ring was enough to soften the noise. I tried 2 but the actuation was too short and I had to lift off further from the key.

I like the bottoming out sound :D

You can get different thickness O-rings, perhaps something between one and two O-rings would suit you better.

There's some excellent photos of O-rings here, where you can also order some :)

Offline richard912

« Reply #631 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 23:20:10 »
Hi all! Have been a lurker here for a while now and finally decided to sign up as a member after I got tips to procure my latest addition to the herd in the form of a Varmilo VA87M with MX clears. This is actually my 4th MKB. My first is a CM QFR-i with MX red, second a KBT Race 2 with MX blue and the third, a Ducky One TKL RGB with MX brown. I've more or less settled my preference towards tactile switches.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #632 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 05:56:57 »
Hi all! Have been a lurker here for a while now and finally decided to sign up as a member after I got tips to procure my latest addition to the herd in the form of a Varmilo VA87M with MX clears. This is actually my 4th MKB. My first is a CM QFR-i with MX red, second a KBT Race 2 with MX blue and the third, a Ducky One TKL RGB with MX brown. I've more or less settled my preference towards tactile switches.

Welcome to Geekhack!

There's lots of good reports about Varmilo!

What made you try the clears, which are considerably heavier than the switches in all your other keyboards?

Offline antarios

« Reply #633 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 10:31:00 »
Hello.
I'm taking up for the project, which will be something like a usb keyboard.

The keyboard is designed to support the program on the PC, which is based I hotkeys.
The keyboard has 70 Cherry MX keys.
USB module will be a teensy pcb.
Housing - black laminated plywood.
Fixing - steel plate.
Connection - wires and diodes (without pcb for now).

I do not hide that, I'll need help with some issues, such as the design of the mounting plate or programming teensy.

And here the first question: whether teensy can be programmed shortcuts such as <RightAlt + b> or <Shift F1>?

Regards, and wait for the advice.

Offline richard912

« Reply #634 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 22:30:03 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

What made you try the clears, which are considerably heavier than the switches in all your other keyboards?

As I just wanted to try a heavier tactile switch for a change, Varmilo was really the best option out there with a good build and is fully customisable

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #635 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 06:04:19 »
Hello.
I'm taking up for the project, which will be something like a usb keyboard.

The keyboard is designed to support the program on the PC, which is based I hotkeys.
The keyboard has 70 Cherry MX keys.
USB module will be a teensy pcb.
Housing - black laminated plywood.
Fixing - steel plate.
Connection - wires and diodes (without pcb for now).

I do not hide that, I'll need help with some issues, such as the design of the mounting plate or programming teensy.

And here the first question: whether teensy can be programmed shortcuts such as <RightAlt + b> or <Shift F1>?

Regards, and wait for the advice.

Welcome to Geekhack!

Sounds like an interesting project, with most of the plans well thought out so far.

Not a lot of people check this area, so you'd probably be better to create a thread in the making stuff together area, and even turn it into a build log.

As far as I know, as long as you wire the matrix carefully you should be able to do almost anything with a Teensy, but I've never built one, so please do ask in the above section :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #636 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 06:05:53 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

As I just wanted to try a heavier tactile switch for a change, Varmilo was really the best option out there with a good build and is fully customisable

Has the Varmilo arrived?  What do you think of the switches?

When I first started using MX clears (CODE TKL), I found that I didn't bottom out all the time, and even missed a few key strokes as I wasn't pressing the keys hard enough.  But now quite a few months down the track I'm typing away quite happily on it.

Not right now though, at the moment I'm using my HHKB ;)

Offline CrotasMinion

« Reply #637 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 17:45:30 »
Hi everybody! Just got into mechanical keyboards after seeing their subreddit pop up all the time with beautiful keyboards. Now I'm obsessing over custom keycaps and planning my first build. I also love creative work and do a bunch of sculpting for fun, so eventually I will try to figure out a way to make myself some custom keys. Not sure how difficult it will be but after seeing those kosmonavts and other custome enamel keycaps that are impossible for me to buy, I figure it may be a fun hobby for me to take my sculpting hobby and combine it with my new keyboard hobby. And advice or tips/videos would be appreciated!
Too many hobbies to count. Then I find out about mechanical keyboards. Oh boy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #638 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 06:05:18 »
Hi everybody! Just got into mechanical keyboards after seeing their subreddit pop up all the time with beautiful keyboards. Now I'm obsessing over custom keycaps and planning my first build. I also love creative work and do a bunch of sculpting for fun, so eventually I will try to figure out a way to make myself some custom keys. Not sure how difficult it will be but after seeing those kosmonavts and other custome enamel keycaps that are impossible for me to buy, I figure it may be a fun hobby for me to take my sculpting hobby and combine it with my new keyboard hobby. And advice or tips/videos would be appreciated!

Welcome to Geekhack!

If you have some sculpting skill, you'd probably only need a :~$ynth and some time, and you'd be right!

Sold out at TechKeys at the moment, but coming back into stock in a few weeks: http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/synth

Apart from that, have a browse through making stuff together where people are making keycaps (amongst other things), and if you have any specific questions, feel free to create a thread :)

PS. Spot the difference between this and my reply to your other thread ;)

Offline SoReckless

« Reply #639 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 06:26:55 »
first, they are a moneypit.
you need riches to enter walhalla!

I bought my first mechanical a few months ago on Massdrop, it is a white fullsize E-Element kyeboard with Outemu blue switches. but I wanted something smaller so I moved to a custom KC60 with Gateron clears, I built it myself. I don't feel totally good on this keyboard because the keys with stabilizers don't feel right and sometimes get stuck when pressed, resulting in missed keypresses, also I haven't yet figured out how to program it to my likings. I want to swap out the stabilizers if possible, but I think it might be hard to get the old ones out.

Offline richard912

« Reply #640 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 02:36:40 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

When I first started using MX clears (CODE TKL), I found that I didn't bottom out all the time, and even missed a few key strokes as I wasn't pressing the keys hard enough.  But now quite a few months down the track I'm typing away quite happily on it.

The Varmilo arrived 3 days after I confirmed with payment made. So far, so good. In comparison to MX brown, the MX clear are clearly (pun intended) heavier though I must admit, the bump is still not as pronounced as I had expected. Next on my list, a Topre board!

Too bad I need a dedicated row of F-keys for gaming purposes or the HHKB would indeed be a good option for me.

Offline Morgan1206

« Reply #641 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 03:49:44 »
 :cool:Nice to geekhack

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #642 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 03:02:45 »
first, they are a moneypit.

you need riches to enter walhalla!

I bought my first mechanical a few months ago on Massdrop, it is a white fullsize E-Element kyeboard with Outemu blue switches. but I wanted something smaller so I moved to a custom KC60 with Gateron clears, I built it myself. I don't feel totally good on this keyboard because the keys with stabilizers don't feel right and sometimes get stuck when pressed, resulting in missed keypresses, also I haven't yet figured out how to program it to my likings. I want to swap out the stabilizers if possible, but I think it might be hard to get the old ones out.

This thread might help if you're worried about spending too mucj.

The KC60 has Costar stabilisers, right?  Maybe check to make sure the stabiliser inserts are still firmly fixed under the keycaps.  On many keycap sets they can work their way loose, and a common work-around is to put a small (about 1cm) square if thin plastic over the keycap stem before you put the stabiliser insert in.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #643 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 03:05:35 »

The Varmilo arrived 3 days after I confirmed with payment made. So far, so good. In comparison to MX brown, the MX clear are clearly (pun intended) heavier though I must admit, the bump is still not as pronounced as I had expected. Next on my list, a Topre board!

Too bad I need a dedicated row of F-keys for gaming purposes or the HHKB would indeed be a good option for me.

The clears should be more tactile than the browns, most people say that clears are tactile enough.

Although I bottom out on everything, including MX clears, to feeling the actuation point doesn't make much different to me :))

A RealForce TKL would be an excellent choice - Topre, PBT keycaps (except space - get in quick on the Massdrop sale for PBT Topre keycaps if you're serious about getting a Topre keyboard: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/topre-pbt-spacebar?mode=guest_open ), dedicated function key row.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #644 on: Sun, 24 July 2016, 03:06:07 »
:cool:Nice to geekhack

Welcome to Geekhack!

Offline Adgar

• * Vendor
    • Pheilcia
Hello,I am new comer .You can call me Mason .Or Adgar
« Reply #645 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 03:31:33 »
It's amazing that find such a cool website.I got to know this one from one of my friende who has been into machanical keyboard for 5 year. I think that I am very lucky for finding so much enthusiastic fans of mechanical keyboard.I hope that in next time I can learn and get more about mechanical keyboard together with you.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #646 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 06:03:13 »
It's amazing that find such a cool website.I got to know this one from one of my friende who has been into machanical keyboard for 5 year. I think that I am very lucky for finding so much enthusiastic fans of mechanical keyboard.I hope that in next time I can learn and get more about mechanical keyboard together with you.

Welcome to Geekhack!

I've seen your name somewhere recently.  Oh yes, in your other thread :))

Many people seem to end up here from Google searches, or linked from Reddit.

Or, as in your case, referred by a friend.

Offline milchek

« Reply #647 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 08:44:52 »
Hello, been lurking on here for the last couple of weeks drooling over many of the custom keyboards on display. I'm from Melbourne, work freelance as a dev, and have been using a mech kb only for gaming on my PC (Steelseries 6gv2 with cherry mx blacks).

Now making the jump to a mechanical for work and also starting the journey of research and reading to try and build my own. First keyboard I ever typed on was a C64 which we bought second hand when I was about 7 years old. Currently typing on a generic Mac bluetooth keyboard  :-[

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #648 on: Sun, 14 August 2016, 02:14:42 »
Hello, been lurking on here for the last couple of weeks drooling over many of the custom keyboards on display. I'm from Melbourne, work freelance as a dev, and have been using a mech kb only for gaming on my PC (Steelseries 6gv2 with cherry mx blacks).

Now making the jump to a mechanical for work and also starting the journey of research and reading to try and build my own. First keyboard I ever typed on was a C64 which we bought second hand when I was about 7 years old. Currently typing on a generic Mac bluetooth keyboard  :-[

Welcome to Geekhack!

I like MX blacks - a good switch for work purposes as they are not distractingly clicky, but sufficiently heavy to make typing a pleasure.

Apple make some reasonable keyboards.  I was using an Apple aluminium keyboard at home and work before I discovered modern mechanical keyboards.  I went back to mine at home when I was reinstalling OS X late last year, and I really couldn't type on it any more :))

Any ideas which keyboard you'd like to make?  Building one yourself you'll be ordering all the parts from overseas, unfortunately.  There are quite a few available locally though, but only in pre-built form.

Offline milchek

« Reply #649 on: Tue, 16 August 2016, 22:44:59 »
Any ideas which keyboard you'd like to make?  Building one yourself you'll be ordering all the parts from overseas, unfortunately.  There are quite a few available locally though, but only in pre-built form.

A 60% or 65% of some kind. There have been plenty of good suggestions from the community here and on Reddit so I'm just in the process of weighing it all up. Might get something cheap and nasty to mess with first as well. 

I just received a HHKB2 from Japan and am typing on that now, then there's the Whitefox coming from Massdrop later in the year, so it's no rush on the custom for now. I even freshened up my 6Gv2 today!

I think the trickiest thing to get into will be the whole group buy artisan cap purchase scenarios. I see a lot of really nice HHKB's with custom keycaps and obviously these are limited, so I just need to keep my eyes peeled I guess.