Author Topic: [GB] CNC Anodized aluminum case & separable cable for Filco TKL(87) keyboard  (Read 54732 times)

Offline codywanks

Re: [GB] CNC Anodized aluminum case & separable cable for Filco TKL(87) keyboard
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 17:15:17 »
Received my cases today. I can report that they fit the KBP V80 (both MX and Alps) flawlessly without the need for mods or adding foam  :thumb:

Thanks Sennin for the smooth run! I've got your store bookmarked and will check back from time to time.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 17:58:04 by codywanks »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
Re: [GB] CNC Anodized aluminum case & separable cable for Filco TKL(87) keyboard
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 19:45:57 »
I used the mechanicalkeyboards.com Phantom plate w/ lfkeyboards.com TKL PCB.

To fit the plate securely I just added a bunch of drawer liner under the PCB, so when you put the bottom plate on, it pushes the plate against the top case. Not perfect, but works pretty well I think. I can take some pictures later to show the gap that you need to fill to get the 2nd set of screws to fit. You could use a thin piece of metal/wood/acrylic that goes between the plate and the bottom screws. The two top screws fit this plate fine, just the bottom has a gap because it was designed for Filco plate/PCB

A second note about this PCB/Plate combo is the screw-holes on the LFK PCB are not large enough for the screws provided. So you need to install them onto the plate first before you start installing switches. I used some more scotch tape to hold the screw in-place while I went to solder. Alternatively you could just find some other screws that have a slightly smaller radius (this only applies to this LFK PCB).

So aside from the rubber feet, the next part of polish/improvement is lightpipes for the LEDs, the lfkeyboard PCB has RGB SMD LEDs for the two indicators, which is great, you can customize the colors, etc. But because they're SMD, the light isn't very focused. I used some scotch tape to diffuse the LED a bit. So now I'm also looking at getting some lightpipes from mouser or a similar place.

It also turns out my plate was bent a little bit so I needed to add extra padding to push the right half of the plate up against the top plate. Not sure if I bent it while soldering/installing, or if it was bent before. I'll check my other two plates later. Great part about this plate though is it supports Alps + MX (Just like the PCB) and if you're using MX, you also get switch-top opening as well.

I don't really want to take this one apart again just yet, the bottom plate is actually a really tight fit and it becomes a problem to remove it. Even if you unscrew all 8 screws, it's stuck in there with tension and you have nothing to access it with. I used a screw-driver through the top of my PCB (through another layout's switch cut-out) to push the bottom plate out. I knew because of the drawer liner all at the bottom.I wouldn't damage the bottom plate. But I have 2 more plates and 2 more cases, so I can take some better pictures to show the issue.

Thanks for the info!
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 23:26:48 »
https://imgur.com/a/Wkwi4

Now to start building them =)

The mk.com Phantom Plate requires additional support on the bottom because the Filco OEM plate has that 90* bend which the bottom screws push against. A small piece of metal/acrylic/wood would work to fill the gap.
The mk.com Phantom Plate also has some small gaps on the left/right edges because it's just a little too narrow, I don't think you'd really see that much once the PCB and switches are installed.

And there were no feet, I guess because this case was meant to replace the stock Filco case, it was assumed you would take the feet off your Filco case (which I don't have). So now I'm looking at finding some rubber feet: 40mm x 10mm x 3mm w/ 5mm radius is what I think we need. I found a seller on Amazon that seems to do custom sizes and if he can make this size I might order a bunch and sell extras to anyone who wants some.

Weight for just the case comes in at just over 2.0lbs which is pretty decent.

First one built: https://imgur.com/a/BXHAd

Show Image

Oh damn.,
We should provide the feet. totally forgot that.
For those who is hard to find the feet and looking for us to send you one set.
Please reply here/send us PM include your order #.

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 23:29:10 »
I used the mechanicalkeyboards.com Phantom plate w/ lfkeyboards.com TKL PCB.

To fit the plate securely I just added a bunch of drawer liner under the PCB, so when you put the bottom plate on, it pushes the plate against the top case. Not perfect, but works pretty well I think. I can take some pictures later to show the gap that you need to fill to get the 2nd set of screws to fit. You could use a thin piece of metal/wood/acrylic that goes between the plate and the bottom screws. The two top screws fit this plate fine, just the bottom has a gap because it was designed for Filco plate/PCB

A second note about this PCB/Plate combo is the screw-holes on the LFK PCB are not large enough for the screws provided. So you need to install them onto the plate first before you start installing switches. I used some more scotch tape to hold the screw in-place while I went to solder. Alternatively you could just find some other screws that have a slightly smaller radius (this only applies to this LFK PCB).

So aside from the rubber feet, the next part of polish/improvement is lightpipes for the LEDs, the lfkeyboard PCB has RGB SMD LEDs for the two indicators, which is great, you can customize the colors, etc. But because they're SMD, the light isn't very focused. I used some scotch tape to diffuse the LED a bit. So now I'm also looking at getting some lightpipes from mouser or a similar place.

It also turns out my plate was bent a little bit so I needed to add extra padding to push the right half of the plate up against the top plate. Not sure if I bent it while soldering/installing, or if it was bent before. I'll check my other two plates later. Great part about this plate though is it supports Alps + MX (Just like the PCB) and if you're using MX, you also get switch-top opening as well.

I don't really want to take this one apart again just yet, the bottom plate is actually a really tight fit and it becomes a problem to remove it. Even if you unscrew all 8 screws, it's stuck in there with tension and you have nothing to access it with. I used a screw-driver through the top of my PCB (through another layout's switch cut-out) to push the bottom plate out. I knew because of the drawer liner all at the bottom.I wouldn't damage the bottom plate. But I have 2 more plates and 2 more cases, so I can take some better pictures to show the issue.

Thanks for report!
Seems the only way to support plates not come from filco is to add some thick pad in the buttom of PCB@@

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:27:21 »
I put my Quickfire Rapid in this case last night, worked out well. The bent plate worked great on the lower bout, included screws held it perfectly.

I used some cardboard to get the plate centered in the case - just little equal sized buffers on each side along the inner case wall.

The quickfire rapid unfortunately has only one mounting hole on the f-row rail, so that did not work. I used some thick foam from a pelican case and sandwiched the pcb to the roof, which worked really well for now. I will eventually drill out the plate, as the PCB shares the same holes that the traditional filco uses for mounting. Should make it feel really solid - but with the amount of foam i squished in there i have no movement of the plate.

Only visual difference, no LEDS in the led holes. but this is OK as it just goes down to a black steel plate.

The included breakout board worked perfectly - love that.

Fit and finish is excellent - no complaints there!

Small gallery ( was mostly taking pictures of the artisans here... but this is the case!)
https://imgur.com/a/yRhXr
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:42:32 by clasicks »

Offline DasGnome

« Reply #155 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:32:02 »
I put my Quickfire Rapid in this case last night, worked out well. The bent plate worked great on the lower bout, included screws held it perfectly.

I used some cardboard to get the plate centered in the case - just little equal sized buffers on each side along the inner case wall.

The quickfire rapid unfortunately has only one mounting hole on the f-row rail, so that did not work. I used some thick foam from a pelican case and sandwiched the pcb to the roof, which worked really well for now. I will eventually drill out the plate, as the PCB shares the same holes that the traditional filco uses for mounting. Should make it feel really solid - but with the amount of foam i squished in there i have no movement of the plate.

Only visual difference, no LEDS in the led holes. but this is OK as it just goes down to a black steel plate.

The included breakout board worked perfectly - love that.

Fit and finish is excellent - no complaints there!

You weren't able to use all 4 case screws to secure the PCB inside the case? I used all the available screw mounts for my QFR including two in the F row, so that's weird...

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:38:06 »
my quickfire only has a single thru hole on the plate, right in the center of the f-row mounting line. I guess mine may be an older one? You lucked out!

As i said, the PCB definitely has the right holes - just my plate does not have the corresponding holes. Will honestly take 2 minutes with a drill press, just have to make a visit to my dad's place.

EDIT: This is what mine looks like (not my image, but same plate design) https://imgur.com/a/w1czs
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:40:44 by clasicks »

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:17:39 »
my quickfire only has a single thru hole on the plate, right in the center of the f-row mounting line. I guess mine may be an older one? You lucked out!

As i said, the PCB definitely has the right holes - just my plate does not have the corresponding holes. Will honestly take 2 minutes with a drill press, just have to make a visit to my dad's place.

EDIT: This is what mine looks like (not my image, but same plate design) https://imgur.com/a/w1czs

Thanks for your report!
Will it works fine with only 3 screw?
Or must have to make some modification?

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:23:17 »

Thanks for your report!
Will it works fine with only 3 screw?
Or must have to make some modification?

see above, for now i just use foam - will be able to modify my plate easily tho, thanks for the great case!

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #159 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:33:18 »
https://imgur.com/a/Wkwi4

Now to start building them =)

The mk.com Phantom Plate requires additional support on the bottom because the Filco OEM plate has that 90* bend which the bottom screws push against. A small piece of metal/acrylic/wood would work to fill the gap.
The mk.com Phantom Plate also has some small gaps on the left/right edges because it's just a little too narrow, I don't think you'd really see that much once the PCB and switches are installed.

And there were no feet, I guess because this case was meant to replace the stock Filco case, it was assumed you would take the feet off your Filco case (which I don't have). So now I'm looking at finding some rubber feet: 40mm x 10mm x 3mm w/ 5mm radius is what I think we need. I found a seller on Amazon that seems to do custom sizes and if he can make this size I might order a bunch and sell extras to anyone who wants some.

Weight for just the case comes in at just over 2.0lbs which is pretty decent.

First one built: https://imgur.com/a/BXHAd

Show Image

Oh damn.,
We should provide the feet. totally forgot that.
For those who is hard to find the feet and looking for us to send you one set.
Please reply here/send us PM include your order #.

I would like the feet! Sent you a PM with my order number.

Thanks Sennin!

Offline ullr

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:24:18 »
I'd like some feet please, order #000000937

Offline cruk

• :> keys
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 20:33:37 »
Sent you a PM sennin order #000001090, havnt received a shipping notification for my black case yet so you can include the feet in the same shipment

Offline Sempre

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 23:34:50 »
Same here Order #000001066 thanks

Offline edsucks

« Reply #163 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 06:11:24 »
I've already PM'd you, but posting here to be sure.
I'd like some feet if you could add them to my order please.  :thumb:
Order #000001443.

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 07:35:48 »
Order #000001443.

Sup Ed  ;D

Offline mnm

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 15:04:30 »
Had to tap two new screw holes for my KBTalking ONI to fit but the result is pretty good! I am also missing some rubber feet will PM with order number. Many thanks this turned out be great.

Offline edsucks

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 14:57:27 »
Order #000001443.

Sup Ed  ;D

Hey there Duy  :)

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 13:25:21 »
Hi,
We'll send feet after received our order :)

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 14:14:28 »
if we got the case aftermarket, can we purchase feet from you?

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 18:56:59 »
Hi,
We'll send feet after received our order :)

Do you have pictures of the feet? Do they fit correctly inside the cut-outs on the bottom of the case? =)

Thanks!

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 21:01:06 »

I can get the feet and send them to you if not.

I'd like feet too. Order #000001070

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 05 October 2017, 21:02:35 »

I can get the feet and send them to you if not.

I'd like feet too. Order #000001070
Very kind, thanks!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 02:07:09 »
For people who already put their PCB on the case.. How does it feel when you type?? I can't wait for mine... :confused:

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 16:19:09 »
I like this silver case a lot. Just what I wanted for silver: not too dark.
179736-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 October 2017, 16:20:43 by donjoan666 »

Offline sysfury

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 06 October 2017, 17:10:17 »
I'm also missing the feet. Order #000001076.

The cases are looking good otherwise. Just a couple of nicks and dents on the black case. With some black marker I don't think it will be too noticeable.

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #175 on: Sat, 07 October 2017, 10:58:20 »
Could you post an image of the feet so that I can decide whether they are worth waiting for or if they are just the standard feet that I can get at a nearby shop for very cheap?

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 00:28:40 »
Could you post an image of the feet so that I can decide whether they are worth waiting for or if they are just the standard feet that I can get at a nearby shop for very cheap?

Hi,
It is just normal rubber feet.
I think you can get it very easily.
But we'll send it without extra charge.

Offline cruk

• :> keys
« Reply #177 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 22:58:38 »
Hey sennin, any updates on the remaining cases? I'm still waiting for my black case :)

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 13:33:52 »
Hey sennin, any updates on the remaining cases? I'm still waiting for my black case :)

Sent today!

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 13:34:44 »
Hi,
We received the feet today.
Will sorting them out and send them in next few days :)

Offline Trente

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:39:16 »
I am curious if there is any left over from this buy as I would like to assemble a smooth board with this good looking case

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 13:44:15 »
I am curious if there is any left over from this buy as I would like to assemble a smooth board with this good looking case

https://shopkey.doyustudio.com/001kba8fc-s
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Trente

« Reply #182 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:18:10 »

https://shopkey.doyustudio.com/001kba8fc-s

Thank you so much! The original link seems dead so I wasn't able to find it

Offline Trente

Re: [GB] Anodized aluminum case & separable cable for Filco TKL (87) keyboards
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 19:08:47 »
In for 2 (Blue and Grey)!, not going to build w/ a Filco but this plate looks compatible: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2551 and I have a PCB that's compatible w/ that plate :D (Not Phantom, so no Teensy sticking out the bottom)

What PCB are you using?

It's made by the same guy who makes the VA68 PCBs: www.lfk78.com

He sold me an earlier prototype, but he's working on an IC/GB soon (as far as I know). Goes by ca178858 on reddit and GH.

Supports Alps and MX (PCB mount), RGB Underglow and in-switch LEDs (not RGB), and 2 RGB indicator lights (where the numlock/capslock normally go), and plate-mounted stabs. and he recommends pairing this mk.com plate w/ it. I think he said the next revision will have split-spacebar support.

These mk.com plates also support Alps so you're good to go, just need switches and keycaps and you can build a new TKL Alps board =)

EDIT: I asked ca178858 and he said it's alright to post some pictures of the prototype that we think should fit this case: http://imgur.com/a/x8O8w

I can chime in here, also bought a few of his PCBs in the past (and I've also got them TKL PCBs coming from him very soon! for use with this very case!)

He's a really nice chap, and knows his stuff when it comes to PCBs (likely lots of EE experience in the past). Highly recommended  :thumb:

It's so nice to know this PCB fits the case, also wondering how much space will be remaining in case after PCB and switch plate installed. I am assuming the bottom of the case is more like a thick metal plate, so the case is pretty hollow. Would this case be heavy enough to sit tight on desk? And did any one had experience different sound on this board compared to those custom using similar switch and plate setup?

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #184 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 02:09:29 »
The PCB and plate fit, but there's a small gap on the bottom side of the board so the bottom 2 screws don't do anything if you don't add a spacer between the screw and the plate. I just used a lot of shelf-liner to fill in the "hollow" part of the case, it resulted in a really nice sound. It's much more muted than I'm used to, which I like. I added QMX clips and it's very quiet now.

I'm going to get around to building one of these boards w/ Matias QC switches soon, once I get some time (have to get some keycaps that fit Alps)

Offline Trente

« Reply #185 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 18:09:11 »
The PCB and plate fit, but there's a small gap on the bottom side of the board so the bottom 2 screws don't do anything if you don't add a spacer between the screw and the plate. I just used a lot of shelf-liner to fill in the "hollow" part of the case, it resulted in a really nice sound. It's much more muted than I'm used to, which I like. I added QMX clips and it's very quiet now.

I'm going to get around to building one of these boards w/ Matias QC switches soon, once I get some time (have to get some keycaps that fit Alps)

In the case of the gap at the bottom side, would some partially cut washer help filling in the gap to hold the plate (while not sticking out of case) ?

Also, very interested in your next build! Hope there could be some pic!

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #186 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 20:56:45 »
Yea, you could put anything solid in there to fill the gap, it's completely inside the case, you can't see it from the outside. But if you don't fill that gap, then the plate will flex a bit because there's nothing supporting it. Adding lots of shelf liner worked for me, but I'll do a proper support soon.

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 05 November 2017, 21:50:24 »
Finally finished my build. such a nice case, thank you sennin!

181672-0

181674-1

181676-2

Offline duynguyenle

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 17:05:37 »
Hey sennin,

Any news on shipping out those missing feet?

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #189 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 18:25:33 »
Hi Sennin!
Thanks for your great work! Mine arrived today and it looks great!  :thumb:
However, the package didn't include the USB module, connector and additional screws (basically the ziploc from the other picture).
Can I get that as well? Please let me know!
Thanks!
DH

Hi Sennin!
No rush but the cable didn't arrive yet. Any news I could get?  Thanks,

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #190 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 23:49:48 »
Hi Sennin!
However, the package didn't include the USB module, connector and additional screws (basically the ziploc from the other picture).
Thanks!
DH

Hi Sennin!

I guess I missed your message.
Could you tell us your order#?

Hey sennin,

All shipped.
If there's anyone does not receive before Dec, please pm :)

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #191 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 23:51:03 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

@Q@
Seems we should offer clear bottom plate :-*
MoQ...

Offline donjoan666

« Reply #192 on: Tue, 14 November 2017, 03:30:51 »
Hi Sennin!
Thanks!
DH

Hi Sennin!

I guess I missed your message.
Could you tell us your order#?

Offline Myoth

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 24 November 2017, 16:46:03 »
Do we have a list of keyboards that actually fit this case ?

Has anyone tried putting a Novatouch in this ?
You can't in the TEX case, and it's expected not to in this one too but I just wanted to be sure !

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 25 November 2017, 13:07:33 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

@Q@
Seems we should offer clear bottom plate :-*
MoQ...

Plate was made by Jordi Olimon ( https://www.jolimonkb.com ). He also cut one for me in frosted acrylic (diffuses the underglow a little better). You would have to ask him about MOQ for a group buy or to stock in your store. I will say whether it was intentional or not, the stock bottom plate is 3mm thick, which makes it perfect to replace with 3mm acrylic.

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #195 on: Sun, 26 November 2017, 04:32:56 »
Do we have a list of keyboards that actually fit this case ?

Has anyone tried putting a Novatouch in this ?
You can't in the TEX case, and it's expected not to in this one too but I just wanted to be sure !

I edited the origin post with the list.
Hope get more reports.

Offline Blazestorm

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 12:31:33 »
Received my feet last night, they fit perfect =) Now this keyboard feels complete...

Thanks!

Offline sysfury

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 28 November 2017, 17:49:19 »
I also got the feet/rubber strips the other day, but one of the packages only contained one strip. I guess I will have to find my own solution.

Offline sennin32

• * Vendor
    • Doyu Studio
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 29 November 2017, 22:03:00 »
I also got the feet/rubber strips the other day, but one of the packages only contained one strip. I guess I will have to find my own solution.

:eek:
We made a mistake T_T

Offline codywanks

« Reply #199 on: Fri, 01 December 2017, 11:26:33 »
Hey sennin,

All shipped.
If there's anyone does not receive before Dec, please pm :)

Received the feet last week. Thanks Sennin. Not sure if you intended for the colour of the feet to match the colour of the cases, but mine do and I appreciate the detail  :thumb: