Author Topic: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?  (Read 49688 times)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Re: Does it bother anyone else when your keycaps get dirty?
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 20:54:16 »
I absolutely hate dirty keys so wash my hands before every typing session and NEVER eat or drink at the keyboard.

Not even once? Cheeky pizza? NEVER!?

Never!

Clearly lies... :P

Definitely lies

My dolch still has dominos pepperoni oil on it

Offline E3E

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:30:20 »
Have you guys ever seen keyboards with caps that look like they've been so well-used that they're worn through? I've seen pics of a few and really wonder what kind of conditions boards like that have been in. Beyond wearing down texture to the point of going THROUGH the cap. Damn!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #152 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:32:41 »
Have you guys ever seen keyboards with caps that look like they've been so well-used that they're worn through? I've seen pics of a few and really wonder what kind of conditions boards like that have been in. Beyond wearing down texture to the point of going THROUGH the cap. Damn!

Really? Have some pictures as examples?

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 24 November 2015, 21:51:55 »
Being shiny and wornout does not bother me so much but if there is a single smudge of anything on the keyboard I will clean the whole thing.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:11:41 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

i put my caps in a glass off vineagear mixed with water and soap. Leave them for a day, then just wipe the dirt off with paper. As good as new

I found using denture tabs that I don't need to wipe them at all, all teh dirt seems to fall off into the bottom of the vase that I'm using.

Oh cool, so just something like this: https://clicks.co.za/products/view/steradent-pro-denture-cleaner-whitening-30-tablets ? and may be a stupid question but is this ok for any colour caps?

Offline E3E

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:18:10 »
Who wouldn't be bothered! I semi constantly clean my blank white caps on my HHKB. The boards looks so good when they clean and so grimy when they not :( Any one got any tips for quick cleaning? I took them all off the other day and thoroughly cleaned them with a toothbrush and some clean green and water and they were looking grimy again within a week  :'( I use it all day at work so makes sense but still...

i put my caps in a glass off vineagear mixed with water and soap. Leave them for a day, then just wipe the dirt off with paper. As good as new

I found using denture tabs that I don't need to wipe them at all, all teh dirt seems to fall off into the bottom of the vase that I'm using.

Oh cool, so just something like this: https://clicks.co.za/products/view/steradent-pro-denture-cleaner-whitening-30-tablets ? and may be a stupid question but is this ok for any colour caps?

I've also used Alka-Seltzer to good effect, which I think are almost the same as denture tabs? Pretty much any tablets that effervesce while in water. Those clean caps very well.

Offline Glenmael

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 04:53:48 »
I absolutely hate dirty keys so wash my hands before every typing session and NEVER eat or drink at the keyboard.

Not even once? Cheeky pizza? NEVER!?

Never!

Clearly lies... :P

Definitely lies

My dolch still has dominos pepperoni oil on it

Haha double pepperoni deep pan...i hear ya  :thumb:

Offline O(logn)

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 25 November 2015, 07:08:46 »
I have a tendency of resting my right thumb against the space bar sometimes - just took off my caps for cleaning today and wasn't expecting this....

Edit: I'm so sorry GMK  :'( :'( :'(

Warning: nsfl

Looks Yummy... :p

Offline Dext

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 17:02:20 »
I HATE WHEN MY KEYBOARD GETS DIRTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

By the way, what's the best way to properly clean PBT keycaps? (from a leopold FC750R)

Offline E3E

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:38:08 »

By the way, what's the best way to properly clean PBT keycaps? (from a leopold FC750R)

For a small thing, wiping them with alcohol works and is safe for PBT. For a more thorough cleaning, putting them in a denture tab or alka-seltzer bath will spruce them right up.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 20:45:13 »

For a small thing, wiping them with alcohol works and is safe for PBT. For a more thorough cleaning, putting them in a denture tab or alka-seltzer bath will spruce them right up.

Asked the wife right away if she knew about those things as soon as I read that comment. Now I know how to clean keycaps properly.

I've been cleaning it with just water (and spit) sometimes  :))
Please feed my addiction.

Offline E3E

« Reply #161 on: Fri, 27 November 2015, 21:19:42 »

Asked the wife right away if she knew about those things as soon as I read that comment. Now I know how to clean keycaps properly.

I've been cleaning it with just water (and spit) sometimes  :))

Ahaha, you're not alone on that last method. I usually use a little microfiber cloth dabbed with a mix of distilled water (not really important) and white vinegar for ABS, but sometimes I've used yeah, my finger wet with a little of spit. :-X Totally not hygenic, haha.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #162 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:25:16 »
Still bothers me can't wait for my new keyboard to get here so I can stop typing on these dirty caps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:26:37 »
How did you even find this thread?  :))
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #164 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:28:33 »
I made the thread :cool: .....it was never lost.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 09:42:19 »
I made the thread :cool: .....it was never lost.

;D
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 17 April 2018, 21:53:58 »
Still bothers me can't wait for my new keyboard to get here so I can stop typing on these dirty caps.
Show Image

Have you tried cleaning them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 00:43:31 »
1. Burn;
2. Buy new;
3. Clean, pretty, shiny.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 18 April 2018, 09:06:37 »
1. Burn;
2. Buy new;
3. Clean, pretty, shiny.

Offline Duckyreddy

• Better skadoodle, poodle.
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 00:39:16 »
oh yes when people have white keycaps and munch on some cheetos without washing their hands before typing, makes me want to cry :')

Ducky One Cherry MX Silent Reds

Leopold FC660M MX Blue
Logitech G403/ Razer Naga 2014

Offline mrhead

• Thread \ (•◡•) / Stopper
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 21 April 2018, 15:25:21 »
Mental note #1:  Never buy from swimmingbird, he's filthy!

Mental note #2:  Locate SpAmRaY on GPS and dig through his trash for free keycaps!

Offline syke

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 05 May 2018, 18:17:19 »
Yes... I clean my keyboard on a daily basis

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 18 May 2018, 17:32:30 »
just clean them

Offline ag36

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 04:29:23 »
Yes, I use lens wipe to clean them.
Model M*5, SSK*4, M13 black*1, Model F XT*1, AT*1 F107*1, Unicomp*1, 3278 *1, Leopold FC750R*2, 980M*2 FC980C*1 Filco majestouch 2 TKL*1, Cooler Master MasterKeys S PBT*1, Uniqey Q100*2, Ducky pocket*1, KBD75*2, KBD19X*2, HHKB pro 2*1, Type-S*1 Topre Realforce RGB*1, 108 all 30g*1, numpad*1, 87U*1 Dell AT101W*2, Alps64*2, V80 matias quiet click*2, Quiet liner *1, WYSE ASCII *1

Offline aya3154

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:39:34 »
Also I have a sleeve to put my keyboard into when I'm not using it , moisture and dust exposure really gets me sometimes..
Previously I did'nt do this and after some cold nights I'd wake up to moist keys   :-X

Offline aya3154

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 01 June 2018, 23:43:43 »
Oh and for white/light colored keycaps, specs of dust combined with moisture would smudge them so I'd have to periodically wipe them down with some alcohol solvent , it's esp worse if your desk setup is close to a window   :-[

Offline DirtyMonkey43

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 13:30:21 »
i constantly wash my hands due to preventing this

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 15:29:53 »
I'm not overly picky with cleanliness with dust, though I try my best to avoid any Cheetos-hands type situations with my nice keyboards!

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 12:56:11 »
Yes, even worse when my co-worker has messy caps. I can’t stand when people don’t keep them clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk