Author Topic: What switches did NeXT use in its keyboards?  (Read 5900 times)

Offline davo

• http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~finton/
What switches did NeXT use in its keyboards?
« on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 17:20:12 »
Greetings!  This is my first post.  I've been looking for clicky keyboards, and I've enjoyed reading the posts here.

My favorite keyboard is the original (non-ADB) NeXT keyboard -- the one that came with my old NeXTstation computer.  Can anyone tell me what keyswitches NeXT used?  A recent YouTube video of Das Keyboard reminded me of the sound of my old NeXT keyboard, so I was wondering if NeXT might have used Cherry blue switches?

--David

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 19:01:45 »
The NeXTstation keyboard actually had buckling springs.

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 19:03:08 »
AFAIK there used to be a NeXT Keyboard that was almost identical to the Apple Extended Keyboard 2, but that one used ADB. So that is a different model form yours. Based on that information, however I believe that NeXT used ALPS switches a lot.

Offline iMav

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 19:18:48 »
The pre-ADB NeXTstation keyboards were 85-key, full stroke buckling springs.  See these links for a bit of confirmation:

Wikipedia link
Random blog link
Wapedia link
TripAtlas link

Offline davo

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 20:26:08 »
Quote from: iMav;5241
The pre-ADB NeXTstation keyboards were 85-key, full stroke buckling springs.  See these links for a bit of confirmation:

Wikipedia link
Random blog link
Wapedia link
TripAtlas link

iMav!  Thank you.

I almost can't believe it.  The old NeXT keyboard just seemed better built and quieter than I remember my old AT keyboard being.  But all four of those links use the identical phrase "Full-stroke buckling spring, 85 keys."  What does full-stroke mean in this sense?  Is there a half-stroke buckling-spring?

I was going to pull a keycap to check, but chickened out because the keys fit too close for me to use my keycap-puller (provided with my Deck keyboard).  The NeXT keyboard goes to a Cube with Pyro CPU accelerator and NeXTDimension board, and it's something of a collector's item.

Hmmm.  I'm thinking of the new Mighty Mouse 'board from Unicomp, when it arrives, or possibly Das Keyboard III.  Do you think either of these would be similar to the old NeXT?  (I didn't like the "new" ADB NeXT much).

--David

Offline iMav

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 20:37:08 »
Quote from: davo;5243
I was going to pull a keycap to check, but chickened out because the keys fit too close for me to use my keycap-puller (provided with my Deck keyboard).

You can use xsphat's patented two-paper clip method.  ;)

Unbend two paper clips and make a small "hook" on each of them.  With the paper clips, pull straight up on opposite corners of the keycap.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 21:28:13 »
I did that with my latest Apple ADB keyboard.  Worked great on the keys, I had one keycap break (but this is a seriously old keyboard) and more importantly, this time, I didn't break any switches.  =-D  Hell on the fingers though.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 21:51:31 »
I use floss to pull them.Just make sure you put something around your fingers, as otherwise the floss will cut them.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 23:26:11 »
Quote from: Jaydoublem;5253
I use floss to pull them.Just make sure you put something around your fingers, as otherwise the floss will cut them.

You crazy.

Offline Jaydoublem

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 23:31:17 »
I don't think it's crazy. If you have to pull 108 keys at once then it's a very fast method.

Offline davo

Not buckling springs!
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 June 2008, 23:38:56 »
I got the keycap off.  Didn't think I could do it, since there didn't look to be enough space for paper clips.  Then I tried floss, and even tried knotting it into a pair of loops.  The problem was that I couldn't get the floss loops to stay put.  Then I got an idea: twisty-ties, the paper-covered wire kind that I get on loaves of bread at the store.  Worked great.  Took some pulling.

So, what did I find?

I found a little black switch!  It has a black slider.  The switch says "ALPS" on it.  In the center (way down in there) it says "15A", and in the upper right corner it says "15C".  The upper left corner has an "N" (for "NeXT"??).  The bottom left corner appears to have a "9".  This was the "8" key in the numeric pad, on a non-ADB NeXT keyboard.  The label on the bottom says Part No: 192.00, NeXT, Inc., Palo Alto, California, Made in Japan.  Serial number AAE4209119.  Weight seems to be about 2.7 pounds.

I wonder where those Internet sources all got the idea that the NeXT keyboard had buckling springs?  I'm guessing that there were only two types of NeXT keyboard, the old ones like mine, and the newer ADB type.

Of course, my other question is what kind of modern switches are comparable to the ones in the NeXT keyboard?  Bear in mind that my keyboard is probably at least 16 years old.

David

Offline iMav

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 09 June 2008, 07:59:36 »
Something on the internet was wrong???  I can't believe it!!!  ;)

Either there are a lot of people with identical, wrong information...or there was more than one pre-ADB NeXT keyboard.  (I'm inclined to believe the later)

As far as a new keyboard with clicky, Alps sliders are concerned...you might want to check out this thread.

Offline davo

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 June 2008, 00:33:46 »
Quote from: iMav;5263

As far as a new keyboard with clicky, Alps sliders are concerned...you might want to check out this thread.

Thanks for the tip!  That thread links to a "Full Size Alps Mechanical Switch Keyboard ASK-6600", http://www.notestation.com/ask-6600.htm  They claim "Advanced Alps Mechanical key switch with click sound."  I don't know how many different kinds of Alps switches are around, but do you think it might be like my NeXT?

Exploring their site (DSI-Store.com), I also found a "Compact Cherry Mechanical Switch Keyboard KB-SUN88, and a Mac version, SMK-88USB.  They don't say what kind of Cherry switches these use;  are these the ones that used to be Cherry blues, and now are linear Cherry blacks?

I'm still thinking that my best bet may be waiting for either the Mighty Mouse or Das Keyboard III.

Thanks again,

David

Offline sashomasho

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 10 June 2008, 03:03:18 »
Quote from: davo;5277

Exploring their site (DSI-Store.com), I also found a "Compact Cherry Mechanical Switch Keyboard KB-SUN88, and a Mac version, SMK-88USB.  They don't say what kind of Cherry switches these use;  are these the ones that used to be Cherry blues, and now are linear Cherry blacks?

I asked yesterday about KB-SUN88, it uses the black cherries, and as far as I know the SMK-88 uses them for some time now..

Offline davo

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 10 June 2008, 03:11:05 »
sashomasho, thanks for the intel!

I was looking for blue Cherry switches.  I think I've got them on order!  I just posted a "pre-order" for the new Das Keyboard III.  

David

Offline iMav

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 10 June 2008, 07:36:02 »
Quote from: davo;5280
I was looking for blue Cherry switches.  I think I've got them on order!  I just posted a "pre-order" for the new Das Keyboard III.

Assuming they don't change their switches with the new model, the Das III should definitely have blue cherries.  

It's unfortunate that DSI doesn't sell a keyboard with blue Cherry keyswitches anymore.