Author Topic: Reinforced Wrist Rests  (Read 2177 times)

Offline Deiz

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 02:58:25 »
I've got an L-shaped desk with a rounded inside corner, which is where my keyboard sits, and the wrist rest then hangs off the desk partly.

Given that for 3/4 of the keyboard's width, the wrist rest is off the desk, all the rubber-backed rests are no good because they sag under pressure.

So, I'm looking for this, basically. However, I'm not big on leather because it tends to get hotter than fabric.

So: Reinforced, preferably with a metal plate, fabric-covered, preferably memory foam over gel.

Right now I've got a hand towel folded over itself, sitting on cardboard, but it's less than ideal. Likewise, I think sitting a normal wrist rest on cardboard would make it too tall.
Keyboards: Filco FKBN104M/EB; Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000; Logitech G15 (Dead and gone); Razer Tarantula (Permanent cold storage)
Mice: Logitech G7; Logitech G5
#geekhack

Offline FKSSR

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 08:02:51 »
Lam makes wood wrist rests with leather on top.  I'm not sure if they would be too tall for you, but that may work.

I use the all foam wrist rests with the bit of fabric on the top.  A bit of it hangs over the edge of my work desk, just like yours does (because it is also a L-shaped desk).  I haven't had any problems, though, because it is not very much that hangs over and the foam is thick enough to hold itself up.
Add me on Steam | Twitter

Offline rdjack21

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 11:59:49 »
I have two of the Filco wrist wrest and love them. They are built really well and look very good sitting up against my 87U and Filco tenkeyless. Also I have not really experienced it getting hot but it will get warm after I've had my wrists sitting on it all day.

One thing I really like about it that is hard to tell from the pictures is that it has two levels and is allot wider than other wrests I have had. I find that I prefer to turn it around backwards so that the higher part of the wrest is twards me as that puts my wrist at a better angle for me at least. Anyways I'm very happy with mine.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline bigpook

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 12:16:08 »
I see he has them for the tenless keyboards. I would like to try one that is sized for a HHKB.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline Deiz

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 12:22:56 »
Quote from: rdjack21;87252
I have two of the Filco wrist wrest and love them. They are built really well and look very good sitting up against my 87U and Filco tenkeyless. Also I have not really experienced it getting hot but it will get warm after I've had my wrists sitting on it all day.

One thing I really like about it that is hard to tell from the pictures is that it has two levels and is allot wider than other wrests I have had. I find that I prefer to turn it around backwards so that the higher part of the wrest is twards me as that puts my wrist at a better angle for me at least. Anyways I'm very happy with mine.

I'm a lazy typist. Most of the time I type with my wrists on the rest, pivoting at the heel of the hand.

I've found that since leather can't breathe, if I don't move my wrists once in a while they get quite sweaty, which doesn't happen at all with fabric rests. That said, the Filco rest is apparently coated, so I don't know how it'd compare to the pleather built-in wrist rest of my old MS Natural 4000.

One plus to leather, I find, is that it feels good at first. It seems all manufacturers of fabric-covered wrist rests insist on using the same cheap fabric that's too smooth in one direction and overly gritty in the other.
Keyboards: Filco FKBN104M/EB; Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000; Logitech G15 (Dead and gone); Razer Tarantula (Permanent cold storage)
#geekhack

Offline rdjack21

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 21:29:24 »
Quote from: Deiz;87259
I'm a lazy typist. Most of the time I type with my wrists on the rest, pivoting at the heel of the hand.

Yea same here :)

I've found that since leather can't breathe, if I don't move my wrists once in a while they get quite sweaty, which doesn't happen at all with fabric rests. That said, the Filco rest is apparently coated, so I don't know how it'd compare to the pleather built-in wrist rest of my old MS Natural 4000.

I really have not had this problem on the Filco rest. I think what keeps hands/writs from sweating is the two step design of the rest. I have mine turned around backwards so that my writs are on the higher part of the wrest. The step down allows air to flow around my hands which reduces/eliminates any sweating issue. Also with this set up the only part of my hand actually touching the rest is my wrests. If on the other hand I turn it the way it is shown in most pictures with the lower step facing me considerbly more of my hand is touching the rest. I like the higher side though because it puts my wrests in the correct position, at almost the top of the keys.

One plus to leather, I find, is that it feels good at first. It seems all manufacturers of fabric-covered wrist rests insist on using the same cheap fabric that's too smooth in one direction and overly gritty in the other.

This is the best made wrest rest I've ever purchaced. And yes it does feel very good to the touch. It is also not soft it is firm but not hard. I currently have one at work and one at home and I'm considering getting a spare because I would  just like to have a spare.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE

Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 April 2009, 21:33:28 »
Quote from: bigpook;87257
I see he has them for the tenless keyboards. I would like to try one that is sized for a HHKB.

I don't have a HHKB to put it next to. But if I was going to make a guess the rest would be about one inch too big on each side if you centred it on a HHKB. Which does not sound like to much of a big deal to me. But then again I can understand the desire to have one that did not have that overhang as well.
Keyboards

Offline Deiz

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 08:23:49 »
Quote from: rdjack21;87324
I don't have a HHKB to put it next to. But if I was going to make a guess the rest would be about one inch too big on each side if you centred it on a HHKB. Which does not sound like to much of a big deal to me. But then again I can understand the desire to have one that did not have that overhang as well.

You're overestimating the width of the HHKB, it's 11.6", contrast to 14" of the Tenkeyless, 15.2" for the Tenkeyless wrist rest. I don't really get why the wrist rest is wider than the board, and it seems the full-size one is a little bit wider than the 104-key Filco, as well.

Filco wrist rest's still not an option for me, as it's $40 plus $20 shipping. $60's too much for a wrist rest, I think; wish I'd thought of it when I was ordering the 'board in the first place.
#geekhack

Offline bigpook

Reinforced Wrist Rests
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 April 2009, 08:44:39 »
Quote from: Deiz;87351
You're overestimating the width of the HHKB, it's 11.6", contrast to 14" of the Tenkeyless, 15.2" for the Tenkeyless wrist rest. I don't really get why the wrist rest is wider than the board, and it seems the full-size one is a little bit wider than the 104-key Filco, as well.

Filco wrist rest's still not an option for me, as it's $40 plus $20 shipping. $60's too much for a wrist rest, I think; wish I'd thought of it when I was ordering the 'board in the first place.

I was looking at the filco wrist rests also, but it would have been $48 total for me. Which is kind of high for a wrist rest. I can only assume it must be a very well made rest with high quality materials.
So what are your choices for wrist rests? Beyond the gel/foam/bead variety.
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII