Author Topic: Why Not Boards From Corsair, Razer, Tt eSPORTS, Cooler Master, Rosewill?  (Read 3555 times)

Offline ablooga

Why is it for a forum dedicated around keyboards, These reputable brands that make professional keyboards aren't talked about as much around here?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Why Not Boards From Corsair, Razer, Tt eSPORTS, Cooler Master, Rosewill?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:40:46 »
We make our own yo
I love Elzy

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:43:55 »
Cooler Master gets plenty of attention around here  :eek:
null

Offline ablooga

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:45:39 »
From what I've seen, its only the novatouch that gets peoples attention. Other than that rest of their keyboards in their lineup are pretty much ignored

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:45:39 »
Life's too short to buy keyboards that suck.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:48:47 »
Life's too short to buy keyboards that suck.

mfw we're waiting for the GH60
I love Elzy

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:49:13 »
idk... QFRs are pretty good boards... just not anything special...

corsair and razer suck

rosewills are in between QFRs and razer

these are the opinions of CLiB
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:50:12 »
all these brands were talked about here for a long time.

hell, filco was king here. but then custom boards/custom plates/custom cases started happening and everything else is now considered "entry level"

just forget about topre, it sucks. cherry 4 lyfe
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:51:16 »
Professional keyboards, that's funny!

And up until they became scarce the CM QFR was one of the most recommended boards here at least for beginners.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:51:30 »
all these brands were talked about here for a long time.

hell, filco was king here. but then custom boards/custom plates/custom cases started happening and everything else is now considered "entry level"

just forget about topre, it sucks. cherry 4 lyfe

yeah dont bother reading Demiks old posts, definitely all wrong  :p

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 21:54:15 »
From what I've seen, its only the novatouch that gets peoples attention. Other than that rest of their keyboards in their lineup are pretty much ignored
I have a CM QFR  :eek:
null

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:00:26 »
I own a CM QFR, a couple of Rosewill RK-9000, and briefly owned a Razer BW. The Rosewills aren't great, to be honest. Shoddy soldering. And the QFR isn't much better.

Around here it's pretty much Filco or better. I own like nine Filcos. And Pokers are good, too. I own four of those. My main rotation is a KMAC, an IBM Model F 122, an HHKB, a Filco TKL, and a Poker.

My daily driver at work is a full size Ducky Shine 3. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:09:01 »
I own a CM QFR, a couple of Rosewill RK-9000, and briefly owned a Razer BW. The Rosewills aren't great, to be honest. Shoddy soldering. And the QFR isn't much better.

Around here it's pretty much Filco or better. I own like nine Filcos. And Pokers are good, too. I own four of those. My main rotation is a KMAC, an IBM Model F 122, an HHKB, a Filco TKL, and a Poker.

In my experience, the CM boards have been just fine. The only rosewill I've ever had died on me in fairly short order, although it was secondhand.

A lot of people here don't like the 'gamer' aesthetic of the razer boards, and they, along with Thermaltake boards, don't use Cherry switches anymore, just the clones and knockoffs.

A bunch of the Corsair boards aren't fully mechanical, and at least the ones I've looked at have been quite expensive.

A lot of users prefer to talk about unique boards (customs) or things that are changing in the market (such as new boards from KUL, boards with MX clears becoming more commonplace, the Novatouch with cherry caps and topre sliders, etc.) It's not necessarily that those boards don't have their place, but there are only so many conversations we can have about the same mass-produced board. There are always new customs coming out, new builds being done, etc., and that's where the attention tends to go.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:11:58 »
My Hacked By Geeks caps are going on my RK-9000, so I must still like it.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:14:35 »
CoolerMaster is very well respected here.
QFRs are received very well as well as the Novatouch.
Other boards are just awful. I could give you a rundown of certain boards if you want.
When I say that the other boards are awful, I am referring to the list of manufacturers you listed off in the OP.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:15:05 »
My Hacked By Geeks caps are going on my RK-9000, so I must still like it.

I was using an RK-9000 at work until I got the Ducky. I don't want to leave something at work that I really care about. :)

For the reasons not to buy a Corsair or Razer, click the link in my sig to the blog post I wrote, "How To Choose The Right Keyboard For You."

in memoriam

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:48:03 »
Even if we were hyped about those boards what would we talk about? Firmware updates? Fixed cord vs removable cord? LEDs? Macro keys?

I don't think these boards get ignored on purpose; it's just that the attention usually goes to something more unique.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 22:59:44 »
I mean, there's nothing really special about those keyboards, and there's not much discussion to be had regarding them
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 23:48:24 »
There's not much to say about them.  For example, The Rosewill 9000 and Quickfire XT are both versions of the CST-104 design manufactured by the firm Costar.  They also made the Filco boards at one time.  Because of this, there's very little new and exciting they can offer, except being cheaper, or perhaps available with different options than other brands (i. e. only the Quickfire is available with Green switches).

So the discussion has to revolve around "what we added to it", like custom controllers, caps, O-rings, etc.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 00:22:44 »
Nothing really wrong with those keyboards and nothing particularly outstanding. Every one of those keyboards does seem to have one or two issues if you dig deep enough.

Those keyboards are geared for a more mainstream market.
While here we're just more collectively ocd and we have specifics things that we want and mostly agree on that just aren't found on these mainstream boards. That and seriously you can tell the difference after typing on a decent mechanical keyboard immediately.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:32:23 »
Those are all discussed, reviewed, etc. You fogot about Logitech (G710+).

But many of them either have a non-standard keycap layout (which is pretty stupid on a Cherry MX board if you ask me, considering how keycap swapping is one of the main benefits of getting an MX board), poor build quality, poor quality control, poor software (some have all of these faults) or nothing really to talk about.

KûL, Ducky and Filco tend to get a lot of recommendations due to their overall quality (and standard layouts). CMStorm QFR's are recommended due to their "bang for the buck", while still having standard keycaps and case design, so they're very "moddable".
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:45:10 »
The modern Leopold are awesome because you get a great board made in Taiwan (somebody said costar), good cherry stabilizers that don't suck, sound dampening pads on the board and thick cherry profile keycaps.
It's a really strong bang for your buck.

I mean you can't get that kind of deal from any of the other guys even the larger companies.

I don't think most people actually care about replacement keycaps (present company excluded of course) that's not really the first thing most people think about but the thing is most of the stock keycaps are just terrible so you really shoot yourself in the foot with a nonstandard keyboard.

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 February 2015, 01:50:10 by the1onewolf »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 02:14:35 »
I think there are two reasons.

One is that people here are more interested in the basic quality of the keyboard. That is why a brand like Cooler master, with their Costar made keyboards, get a lot of attention and get the nod for some of the most "bang-for-buck" mechanical keyboards out there (despite being a gaming brand).

The other one is that most of those brands make keyboards that are made to appeal aesthetically to gamers. There are plenty of gamers on geekhack, but when it comes to keyboards, they are keyboards enthusiasts first and foremost. The bright lights, glossy plastic, pictures of ninjas and so on that you find on the gaming branded peripherals, typically do not appeal to anyone except the target audience. Again, Cooler master in the exception, as their keyboards do not look like they were inspired by a sci-fi movie, and they keep it pretty basic.

That said, most of those brands do create good products. But they are just not up to par when it comes to some other brands out there. Corsair for example makes some unique looking keyboards that are quite popular. However, with some of the issues they had (like the dying leds in their keyboards) they are not preferred here to some other more established brands.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 12:10:51 »

Am shocked. I really thought you had at least 40 Filcos!
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 14:20:34 »
These companies also like to put strange keycap sizes in the bottom row on many of their boards. Mainly spacebars, which makes custom caps nearly impossible or a burden. I think that's a big reason if you're talking this place specifically.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 00:32:07 »
I have mentioned Rosewill a few times.  The only board I have tried out was the RK-9000.  I really can't tell you much more than that because I only used it for a day.  It was actually a pleasant suprise to type on.  There ya go.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 00:39:42 »
the only time I  bought a Rosewill, I bought it to harvest it Cherry Red switches because it was cheaper to buy the keyboard for switches than to buy switches.  LOL

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 00:50:18 »
I'm very happy with my Rosewill RK-9000BRI. It was really inexpensive & still gets daily use at work :thumb:

А ну, чики-брики и в дамки!
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 00:56:43 »
I didn't know anyone but IBM made keyboards.  I'm so confused now.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 01:01:33 »
I didn't know anyone but IBM made keyboards.  I'm so confused now.

No worries Touch_It.  I don't own a Rosewill.  I am very happy with what I have.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 04:49:21 »
Discussions tends to follow when keyboards are in the news.

The Novatouch has got the most attention of CM Storm's keyboards because it is their newest one. The Quickfire Rapid and Quickfire TK got quite a lot of attention when they were relatively new.
Some keyboards by Tt eSports and Rosewill look like rebrandings of keyboard models that have already been discussed.
Many of these often come up in threads on what to buy, but there is not much new interesting to discuss about them.