Author Topic: Anyone use a DataDesk 'board?  (Read 4640 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Anyone use a DataDesk 'board?
« on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 06:03:46 »
I have been looking into them and I like what I am finding, though I'm not finding that much. I emailed the tech support department and they said they still use real Alps switches and that they are clicky.

Offline puntium

• http://keyboards.kendeeter.com
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 11:18:14 »
I bought the smartboard a couple years ago.

http://kendeeter.com/wp/2006/05/18/datadesk-technologies-smartboard/

That's my original review of it. Summary is:

1) good switches
2) cheap plastic
3) really loud (seemed louder than the avant prime i had)
4) weird rounded F-keys, seemed silly
5) TERRIBLE ghosting. sold it just because of that.

maybe they've fixed #5, but I doubt it. I never heard anything from their support email when I asked them about it.
FILCO FKBN87M/EB / Microsoft Natural Elite / HHKB2 Pro
Keyboards blog | Keyboard Reviews (old blog)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 14:43:55 »
I bought my HHKB Pro 2 from you off eBay. Small world, huh.

Thank you for the reply. I'll read your review and use it to help me make my decision.

The HHKB Pro 2 is flawless, thanks, and glad to see you here.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 15:05:37 »
Was that problem with ghosting from the start or didn't you notice it for a while? They advertise a 30 day money back guarantee on the site. If I buy one and it has that, it's going back, no questions asked.

Offline puntium

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 16:34:12 »
I'm pretty sure I noticed it on the first day.. it's very reproducible once you know how the keys are wired together. There was some particular combination, I forget which one, which I type a lot, so I noticed very quickly.

My general rule these days is either get a keyboard in common use (like microsoft/logitech etc.) that is unlikely to have these problems, since ghosting is unacceptable in any situation, OR look for N-key rollover support for the higher end ones.

The Matias tactile pro has similar ghosting problems. I've bought too many supposed 'high end' keyboards who's electronics implementations are anything but.

That being said, someone on craigslist wanted to give it a try, so I sold it at cost - $10.

I've heard people say that they don't notice the ghosting.. though it's really hard for me to believe.. but it may just have to do with typing speed (I'm about 80-100 wpm depending) and also habits, as in whether you're likely to release one key completely before pressing the next one down. I think when I'm typing fast there are definitely instances where I"ll have multiple keys down for split seconds. That's when the ghosting will really hit you. Hunt and peckers will never see it.

Offline puntium

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 16:37:03 »
I bought my HHKB Pro 2 from you off eBay. Small world, huh.

yea i noticed it was you when i searched this forum for hhkb.. i think iMav originally left a comment on my blog, that's how i found out about it originally. Glad you like it.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 00:36:40 »
Man, maybe I should skip this all together. This ghosting thing is scary. I write all day, every day, just got another gig ... later ... so that is too risky. maybe I should just buy a second HHKB Pro 2 and pimp it. I have a few ideas I've been kicking around.

Offline puntium

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 01:30:28 »
Well, don't let me cramp your exploration, but I'm just saying the SmartBoard and the Tactile Pro (1.0 version) are ones to stay away from if you're a fast typer.

I also stayed away from Filco Majestouches after I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-p2BJA3rng

Seems like sometimes people just try to sell you on the switches, and they don't do the rest of the stuff right.. but the n-key rollover version of the majestouch's might be better. I've only typed on an unplugged display model in Japan, so I don't know how bad the problem actually is.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 01:35:23 »
Maybe you just got a bad one, check this guy's comment:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/311098228/

Offline puntium

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 11:41:26 »
There's always that chance.

Given how many people actually _like_ the Tactile Pro, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who like the smartboard too and just don't notice the ghosting. I guess it really depends mostly on how you type.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 10 January 2008, 12:04:31 »
I don't trust this board, before this the Cherry was the next one for me but the info is so bad that I am just asking for a hassle if I go that route. It seems like the only thing I trust right now is the HHKB Pro2 [which just jumped $25 in price on benippon].

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 01:08:10 »
I've been emailing back and forth with DataDesk, and here is the one I got today (pretty interesting):

Hi Dan:

Briefly, the SmartBoard has a 2-3 key lock out not n-key rollover as it has in the past used a chip with those characteristics.   The SmartBoard is typically used by two kinds of users, those that hurt (or think they might) and those that are extremely fast typists!  Over the years, I can count on one hand the number of people that have had a problem with ghosting.  Having said that, we are in the process of bringing out SmartBoard II with a brand new microprocessor and it will have n-key rollover.

We do not have any of our last version of the SmartBoard available now until the new ones are here, hopefully sometime in March.  We are selling what we call version 1 which is ice white with black keys for $75 plus S/H and are giving a $50 credit against SmartBoard II when they are shipping.  These are brand new and were found in our warehouse when we moved.  They are almost exactly the same as our last version except for color and the fact that they do not have Pause, Print Screen or Scroll Lock.  You end up with two keyboards at a reasonable price should you purchase the SmartBoard II for the $49.95 plus shipping after the $50 credit.  SmartBoard II is the same physically but has every key redefinable, stores macros and shortcuts, in the keyboard memory (no software on the computer), has a USB 2.0 hub, etc.

Thats all the news fit to print.

Let us know.

Jesse
Datadesk Support

Offline puntium

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 02:23:32 »
Quote from: xsphat;2316

Briefly, the SmartBoard has a 2-3 key lock out not n-key rollover as it has in the past used a chip with those characteristics.   The SmartBoard is typically used by two kinds of users, those that hurt (or think they might) and those that are extremely fast typists!  Over the years, I can count on one hand the number of people that have had a problem with ghosting.  Having said that, we are in the process of bringing out SmartBoard II with a brand new microprocessor and it will have n-key rollover.

Heh, maybe not that many complainers because they haven't sold that many in the first place.. :-P

Interesting that they're coming out with a newer one though. I did like the layout and the key feel for hte most part. I might have to try it out.

BTW, if you implement 3-key lockout correctly, you shouldn't end up with ghosting, in any situation. You'll end up in situations where you have two keys down and can't type a third. But you should NEVER get keys that you didn't depress in the first place.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 11 January 2008, 03:06:41 »
Yeah, man, I don't know about this company. I'm gonna take your advice because it's obvious we are somewhat alike and not buy from them. I think this time I'm gonna buy an Apple Adjustable with Alps sliders [and a regular return key] and another HHKB Pro 2 while I still can. I like the Alps sliders and the HHKB layout the best, too bad no one makes a 'board like that.

Offline rian90

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 15:50:21 »
I LOVE my Smartboard. I had terrible carpal tunnel symptoms and had to have cortisone shots for them. So I did a search for ergonomic keyboards and discovered Smartboard. I owned the first one for quite some time until I spilled one too many sodas on the keyboard. I still remember drying the poor thing out with a blow drying and spending months with a sticky L key.

I did find it difficult to order a new one as they were either out of stock or unavailable for months. When I finally found one, I ordered a thin plastic membrane cover that protects it..so no more soda spills!

My carpal tunnel went away and now I only have problems with my mouse on occasions. I know longer have pain and my typing speed is amazing! Online friends are always commenting on how fast I type. :)

I love my Smartboard but am still a bit disappointed on how difficult they are to find. I have nightmares about not being able to find one if this keyboard breaks! I have discovered I can no longer really type on other keyboards after getting used to the Smartboard.

Oh..I have had no problem with ghosting other than with the soda spill issue. I have had this one for a while..a couple years at least. It is clicky but this really doesn't bother me. I am a writer so spend hours a day on the computer..this keyboard has literally saved my career!

Its a great board for those who deal with carpal tunnel pain but they are difficult to find.  Once you get used to them, you won't want any other kind of keyboard! They are expensive but worth the cost. I just wish I didn't have to wait for months to find one available.

Laura

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 12 February 2008, 19:10:25 »
I contacted this place about 6 months ago, and they had the Smartboard in stock (ADB version only).  Which probably means it's one of the older versions and most likely guaranteed to have Alps switches.  AU$110 is pretty good value IMO.  If you're ordering from overseas, then you don't pay the sales tax, so it becomes AU$100, which is about U$90 + shipping.