Author Topic: ANODIZING for aluminum poker cases  (Read 55858 times)

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
ANODIZING for aluminum poker cases
« on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:43:34 »
Update:

Just got the firm quote back from the place that does finishing and anodizing and I've uploaded it here so you can see for yourself:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 47209[/ATTACH]

I should be able to take about $4 off the total of whatever you choose (as I mentioned before, this would make brushing for the case free and polishing only a bit more) because we don't have to pay for glass beading anymore but I'm still waiting to get a re-quote from the metal working shop. So as I was saying before, you probably only need to get the case done but if you want to do the insert as well you are welcome to.

For those people who don't want it blue, they do clear anodizing which keeps the natural color of the aluminum. You need to do this because the anodizing process protects the aluminum from scratches and things like that. If you /really/ can't afford the few extra dollars, I'll try to pay it myself because I understand it wasn't an advertised cost.

Here's the new spreadsheet which is a bit more clear: Anodizing and Finishing
I'll PM everybody in a bit so they're aware of it.

The old one is still available for reference if you want to refer back to it.

------

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46403[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46404[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46405[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46406[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46407[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46408[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46409[/ATTACH]

This is concerning anodizing of the aluminum poker cases found in this thread: http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?28730-Taking-payments-Aluminum-poker-case

I will PM everybody who placed an order to bring their attention here. If you don't want it anodized at all you don't have to post anything.

The colors available are red, blue and gold. The colors may be a bit darker than what is shown here since our aluminum is apparently a bit darker (5052 aluminum instead of 6xxx as shown in the pictures). It may be a bit closer to the big metal plate.

There is a minimum order quantity of about $90 per color.

It costs about $4 to color the case and about $3 to color the metal insert. You don't have to get both colored and I would suggest just doing the case since you can't even see the metal insert!

Since there were only 24 orders, if everyone went with the same color it would meet the minimum order quantity and the prices listed above would be good. If we go with two colors we have to pay $180 so the price would go up (about $7.5 if everyone chose to anodize just their case). Keep in mind though that if not everyone chooses to anodize this won't be the case! For example if we get 10 for red and 10 for blue then 180/20 = $9 per person.

What you should do:

[strike]Fill in this Google spreadsheet saying what colors you want for anodizing, if any:[/strike]
This is old but you can still look at it for reference. The new one is near the top.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai3njS0ds_RVdFpxaXJodlZEU1pYTVl4VkJuOTdDelE

If you have any special instructions, like not gluing the two pieces together, please write them in there too.

You do not need to PM and I will not ask you to paypal me the money for this right now, I'll just add it on to the cost of shipping when it's time to send these out. I'm pretty sure that the two colors we'll be going with are red and blue as I doubt that too many people would be interested in gold and it wouldn't be worth the increase in price to have just a few orders of gold. If there's not enough interest in red it may be dropped as well.

-------

Just to mention it, instead of brushed aluminum, polished is another option but it costs $8 to polish the case ($4 more than brushed, which is included for free).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46531[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46533[/ATTACH]

Since some people are kind of borderline on the price going up anymore I didn't want to mention it too much because everyone has to kind of go with the same thing I /think/. If I can do a mix of polished and brushed and you would prefer polished and are willing to pay the extra $4 for it, mention you would like polished in the special instructions column of the spreadsheet and I'll see, but for now assume brushed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 April 2012, 13:30:06 by oneproduct »
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:45:10 »
The colors look good, but ill pass on the coloring.

Sent from a phone...
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:01:50 by boost »
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:48:26 »
insert and frame both in blue

TEAM BLUE

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:52:07 »
btw, do they consider this an anodize or hard anodize?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:56:24 »
How visible will the welds on the case be with anodizing? I am also with mkawa, team blue. Both case and insert.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:56:55 »
Quote from: mkawa;561723
btw, do they consider this an anodize or hard anodize?

I don't quite know the difference. D:

He said it gave it a very resistant kind of finish though. I could ask if you tell me exactly what to ask.

Quote from: emptythecache;561726
How visible will the welds on the case be with anodizing? I am also with mkawa, team blue. Both case and insert.

They will be visible, how different it'll look I'm not sure but there won't be anything we can do to avoid that.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 13:58:09 »
nah, it's good. if he didn't ask you it'll probably be whatever their best finish is. ALL GOOD BRO

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:01:07 »
Quote from: mkawa;561728
nah, it's good. if he didn't ask you it'll probably be whatever their best finish is. ALL GOOD BRO

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46416[/ATTACH]

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:02:43 »
if the brushed blue looks anything like the last picture in the OP, I will be super stoked.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:03:31 »
I WANT PINK!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:13:35 »
Actually, to make things easier, could everyone use this Google spreadsheet? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai3njS0ds_RVdFpxaXJodlZEU1pYTVl4VkJuOTdDelE

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:15:30 »
Quote from: demik;561736
I WANT PINK!

Tsangan, why did you hack Demik's account?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:16:30 »
Quote from: Kisakuku;561753
Tsangan, why did you hack Demik's account?

all your base are belong to us
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:22:51 »
Need to be added!
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline J-P

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 14:34:17 »
Team blue FTW ! [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46417[/ATTACH]
REALFORCE 105u ¦ Leopold FC200RT/ABN ¦ KBC Poker // CST L-Track-X
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Ovoxo

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 15:13:40 »
I am down for either blue or red. Whatever has the most votes.

Offline Elrobo

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 16:23:03 »
Put in my want for full blue. Also wow those examples look very nice, super stoked to see the end result.

Offline xbb

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 16:25:09 »
will the color scratch off?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 16:29:51 »
no it should be pretty durable. the anodizing process forms a hard layer on the surface of the aluminum.

Offline metafour

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 16:53:34 »
Just to be clear, every case is going to get the brushed finish regardless of anodizing? So they will all be produced at the one shop and then all of them will be dropped off at the other shop for the brushed finish with some also being anodized?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 16:58:18 »
Yea, they'll all be brushed by the place that does anodizing instead of being glass beaded by the place that makes the cases. This is because the brushed look is probably nicer and it works much better with anodizing if you decide to have anodizing done. You won't have to pay for brushing since the cost of doing so is payed for by the glass beading that got replaced.

Offline metafour

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:00:54 »
Cool. I added my info to the spreadsheet. Thanks for doing this!

Offline Reptile

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:09:30 »
Do you by chance know what they would charge for 1?

Just trying to get a general idea of how much I would be looking at if I got it done locally in a different color.
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline metafour

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:13:05 »
Quote from: Reptile;561885
Do you by chance know what they would charge for 1?

Just trying to get a general idea of how much I would be looking at if I got it done locally in a different color.

Didn't he say there was a minimum charge of $90? E.g. if you only want 1 from them it'll be $90. Another shop could charge more or less though.

Offline Reptile

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:31:09 »
Quote from: metafour;561891
Didn't he say there was a minimum charge of $90? E.g. if you only want 1 from them it'll be $90. Another shop could charge more or less though.

Damn I need to get a quote from the shop here then
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:38:29 »
90$ is consistent with the quotes i got.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:42:56 »
There are some dings on those pieces of metal in the pictures would that easily happen to the cases??
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 17:50:16 »
aluminum without anodizing or coating is pretty soft, and does scratch pretty easily. the anodized units will have a much more durable surface.

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 30 March 2012, 23:36:08 »
Info added, looks like blue's a clear favorite.  Also fkn lol at the t-rex..
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:11:39 »
Yea, at this point it looks like we'll probably go with just blue, which will keep the cost low. There's a couple people going for uncolored as well as myself which makes a fine second option with the nice silvery look.

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:20:21 »
Is there any particular reason why people are requesting no glue?

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:34:33 »
Quote from: Autolyze;562255
Is there any particular reason why people are requesting no glue?

No idea, but it makes life easier for me! I think people just want to use their own brand of glue or trust themselves to do a better gluing job than me. I've never done this before but I don't imagine there's much to it.

-----

Just to mention it, instead of brushed aluminum, polished is another option but it costs $8 to polish the case ($4 more than brushed).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46499[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 46500[/ATTACH]

Since some people are kind of borderline on the price going up anymore I didn't want to mention it too much because everyone has to kind of go with the same thing I /think/. If I can do a mix of polished and brushed and you would prefer polished and are willing to pay the extra $4 for it, mention it in the special instructions column of the spreadsheet and I'll see, but for now assume brushed.
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:46:01 by oneproduct »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:48:06 »
oh my god the polished finish looks effing amazing christ

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:52:19 »
Please, dont put it to much option. I'll broke till next years!!!

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:54:29 »
Yea, it looks pretty awesome. It's a shame I didn't have a fully finished example to show off from the start, I'm sure I'd have a lot more buyers which would have brought the prices lower. Right now I'm crossing my fingers now that the quoted price for the case doesn't go up too much since we only ended up having 26 orders. I've got enough padding in the original $80 charged to accommodate some change though, I just won't be able to get my own case for free probably, but that's fine by me.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 00:54:42 »
if we get the polishing, i will buy a second.

seriously, these are going to look amazing. it's too bad there's no chance at a second run because, ironically, once people see how good these end up looking, everyone's going to want one...

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 01:01:40 »
If there are seriously enough numbers for a second run, I'll see what I can do but the price would probably be a fair amount higher since they are doing it special for me this time. I think that we're getting close to the saturation point and there aren't enough people with Pokers left who would want one though.

I'll email the place that does the coloring to see if I can do a mix of polished and brushed and let you know when they get back to me, which won't be until Monday I assume.

Offline seferphier

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 01:54:05 »
team blue!

these are going to look fantastic with polished blue. hopefully the polish would cover up some of the defects of the poker case (if any)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 01:56:26 »
well there are at least 20 more out there (ie, there were that many units in the IC). oh well, onward and upward.

Offline net2522

• lollollollol
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 02:24:50 »
Is it possible to put in copper pillar (really short one) instead of glue & soldering. If I plan to take it off in the future?
« Last Edit: Sat, 31 March 2012, 02:31:30 by net2522 »

Offline 500_pts

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 05:21:10 »
super on the fence about your case, i really want to get it, but i would love to see just one picture of a final product annodized :D

i would love you forever and buy a case if you could possibly post a pic by the time you close your orders :P
REALFORCE 86u | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL| Filco TKL | Leopold TKL | KBT Race

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 06:21:29 »
Quote from: 500_pts;562417
super on the fence about your case, i really want to get it, but i would love to see just one picture of a final product annodized :D

i would love you forever and buy a case if you could possibly post a pic by the time you close your orders :P

not gonna happen. He's got to give a final number to the shop before they make any.

Offline emptythecache

• out.
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 06:22:26 »
Also, I'm all for polished blue. I just hope the weld marks are more visible on the polished than brushed finish.

Offline metafour

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 06:49:38 »
I've changed my mind.

I'm in for polishing and blue anodizing on my case. I'll update the spreadsheet later today to formalize my support.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 09:51:16 »
Quote from: 500_pts;562417

they're going to look awesome. get one!

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 10:14:35 »
Hmm, I'm assuming the polished finish would get scratched way too easily without anodizing/dyeing?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 10:17:13 »
probably. aluminum in general scratches easily without anodization

Offline jonnybastard

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 10:18:05 »
So awesome that I'm tempted to get a 2nd case... hmmm I'll sleep on it.
KMAC    -    HHKB Type-S    -    Filco TKL LineaR    -    Poker X    -    KBT Race LE

flickr

Offline xbb

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 10:25:59 »
add polished blue for me also please

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 10:50:48 »
Quote from: xbb;562528
add polished blue for me also please

You can enter anything you want here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai3njS0ds_RVdFpxaXJodlZEU1pYTVl4VkJuOTdDelE#gid=0
For now I added you as blue polish for case only, if you also want the metal insert you'll have to add that on yourself as I can't read your mind. :)

Also just a heads up, for those who want the metal insert anodized I don't think that it will be finished (brushed or polished). The finishing cost I got was just for the case since the metal insert should be smooth as it doesn't undergo any harsh treatment like the case has to go through and so it shouldn't need finishing to hide any marks (and it's not visible anyways). If people are /really/ interested in also having the metal insert finished I'll ask about that and see if I can absorb the cost into what was already paid.

So much to do! Busy busy busy!