Author Topic: Welcome Massdrop!  (Read 24471 times)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Welcome Massdrop!
« on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:28:11 »
Hello all!

I'd like to welcome Massdrop to geekhack as a vendor.  I'm sure we're all familiar with Massdrop and what they do, but they have now chosen to interact with geekhack in an official manner. 

User MassdropAlex will be the main representative for the time being.  Check out his introduction thread to read a little about him.

Per the Vendor ToS, this vendor subforum is now the official location for all things Massdrop-related on geekhack - group buys, discussion threads, and feedback.  For an example, look at how PMK happenings are handled here; all threads are in the PMK subforum by default, with the exception of heavily-community-organized (think intelli's TA buy, for an MD parallel) existing in the regular Group Buy subforum.  The Massdrop subforum will mimic that closely.  If anyone has any questions about this, please feel free to post in this thread or send me a PM.

One goal of Massdrop's in interacting with the community is to better gauge interest and gather input on new releases.  I think you may be familiar with the HHKB aluminum case drop, and avoiding another scenario like that is something they hope to accomplish here.  But I'll let Alex give a little spiel on this topic if he chooses.  :thumb:

Let's give a warm welcome to Massdrop and Alex.  :)

(I will remove this thread in or after 2 months)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Welcome Massdrop!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:31:20 »
Didn't read but whoa, unexpected! Cool beans!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:33:31 »
So excited for this!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:35:17 »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:36:23 »
Hey there massdrop! Great idea getting more involved!  :thumb:
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:37:14 »
Good news! Welcome MassDrop! :thumb:

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:40:15 »
Hey this is cool. Hopefully we can see even more good stuff run on Massdrop as a result of this.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:47:58 »

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:51:26 »
Hey everyone! Super excited that we get to communicate here on some fun projects. As you know we get a lot of interesting things floating through our office, but there's only so much input the 3 of us can give on them. Fortunately you guys have tons of valuable input and opinions, and in my experience so far, no hesitations with sharing those opinions  :)

Livingspeedbump is already doing a lot of work with various community members on the HHKB case and ways to make it both more aesthetically pleasing while putting less hurt on your wallet. And we've got some keyboards with potential, that could use a little love so I'll hopefully get some of that going pretty soon.

Anywho, some of you have probably interacted with me plenty on MD and I'm happy to get to know everyone else. I look forward to some cool stuff :)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:56:16 »
Yay!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:56:21 »
Hopefully they trully intend to hear feedback from the community to create better products.
Prove me right please Massdrop <3
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 18:57:09 »
Hopefully they trully intend to hear feedback from the community to create better products.

Do they create any of their stuff?

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:01:54 »

Do they create any of their stuff?

I can say that they created the DSA Series with me.

Sci-Fi was the first one of the series and the next releases will come soon!

Offline ika

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:06:14 »
Looking forward to seeing improvements from both sides as a result! This should be great!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:19:55 »

+1 :)

You'll have a good time here MD, we share information very intensively to the point it's sometimes annoying
bear with us :D
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:26:11 »
Welcome MD! I like you because every time I paid you, the stuff actually shows up at my door. I think that's cool.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:26:24 »
Welcome again, Massdrop :)

Congratulations on a vendor forum!

I guess this will cover keyboard and non-keyboard related drops (e.g. fountain pens)?

Are we able to suggest or request new drops in here?  Maybe you could create a sticky thread for people to suggest new drops.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raymogi

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:26:51 »
Now I can finally bother MD people with my address change :D
Please feed my addiction.

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 19:27:39 »
sup

i came for the kb stuff, stayed for the mtg stuff

looking forward to seeing what your presence here will produce
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 23:44:59 »
Yay! They got a good guy keeping in touch with the community too  :thumb:

Now, tell Kunal I miss him  :-*
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 23:45:29 »
Welcome MD! I like you because every time I paid you, the stuff actually shows up at my door. I think that's cool.

Yeah, and this  :thumb:

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 23:56:14 »
Wellcome MD

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 11:33:42 »
Thanks all :)

And I'll have Kunal make an account so he can come hang out too. He might have one actually. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 11:47:20 »
Didn't read anything but can we get all the massdrop threads put here now?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:12:24 »

Just asked Hoff to move HHKB case here, and he did  :thumb:. Other threads, like SNES, will continue to be where they are at, much like sets run with PMK are it sounds like. He can clarify though if I'm wrong.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:13:41 »

Just asked Hoff to move HHKB case here, and he did  :thumb:. Other threads, like SNES, will continue to be where they are at, much like sets run with PMK are it sounds like. He can clarify though if I'm wrong.

That's correct.  :thumb:  Ray should just read it though, it's not that long.  :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:14:19 »

That's correct.  :thumb:  Ray should just read it though, it's not that long.  :P

Ain't nobody got time for that. ;)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 15:14:25 »
I didn't reach anything what's this post about? Didn't even see the title
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 16:18:00 »
Geekhack should know that MassDrop doesn't just supply keyboards and key-caps..........

Would be sad to see MD turn into an input device seller only, instead of a merchant that provides every possible item for sale globally.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2015, 16:21:39 by Elrick »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 18:37:08 »
Geekhack should know that MassDrop doesn't just supply keyboards and key-caps..........

Would be sad to see MD turn into an input device seller only, instead of a merchant that provides every possible item for sale globally.

Where did you see that?

I understood Massdrop was opening a channel for GH feedback on drops, not necessarily related to keyboards/keycaps (although that would be where most interest would lie).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 19:30:52 »
Where did you see that?

I understood Massdrop was opening a channel for GH feedback on drops, not necessarily related to keyboards/keycaps (although that would be where most interest would lie).

Why Geekhack exists in the first place, talk about cars, women, holidays, insurance, no no no, this place is solely about Keyboards and to a lesser extent mice as well.

Common sense would dictate to draw your own conclusions here as I did.

Although MassDrop do supply everything to do with Quilting but I bet that certainly will not get any mention here on GH Central  ;) .

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 19:33:49 »
Where did you see that?

Why Geekhack exists in the first place, talk about cars, women, holidays, insurance, no no no, this place is solely about Keyboards and to a lesser extent mice as well.

Although MassDrop do supply everything to do with Quilting but I bet that certainly will not get any mention here on GH Central  ;) .

Keyboards and keycaps, yes.  And writing implements.

And to a lesser degree cars, board games and attire.

All of these are sold by Massdrop.

I did wonder whether Alex was here just to discuss keyboard-related items, or other items too.  And whether anyone else from Massdrop has joined other enthusiast communities.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 13:50:09 »
Ah this is great news.

Welcome MD!
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline MassdropAlex

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:49:41 »
Where did you see that?

Keyboards and keycaps, yes.  And writing implements.

And to a lesser degree cars, board games and attire.

All of these are sold by Massdrop.

I did wonder whether Alex was here just to discuss keyboard-related items, or other items too.  And whether anyone else from Massdrop has joined other enthusiast communities.

I came for the keyboards, but I could stay for the quilts.

Offline yowaffle

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:52:43 »
Excited to see what this relationship can foster!
V60 [MQC] | KC60 [Zealiostotles] | Leopold FC660c [Topre] |  Ducky Shine 4 [MX Brown] | MiniVan [Zealios]

Offline Jedi

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:09:21 »
Glad I stumbled on this side of GH.  So what's the new story on Topre keycap miss?  On the one hand Yanbu said we're working on the relations some more, but then on the other hand Matt3o noted a little earlier than Yanbu (by like a few hours) that its not looking good.  Have we put a hold on Topre stem caps or can we just move from the "Topre" world and make the compatibility kits like the community requested?

Anyway I'll shut up now and look for some more good news.  So much awesomeness coming out of the woodwork lately.  Thanks GH for fronting a good image for MD.  MassDrop has been working pretty hard lately putting up some pretty impressive drops.  Glad to see Alex, Kunal, Yanbu, and the gang on GH.  Keep it coming guys!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 December 2015, 09:11:50 by cswanic »