Author Topic: [IC] Uni660 — wireless split by Sirius (GB soon)  (Read 70312 times)

Offline linyaofred

Re: [IC] Uni660 — wireless split by Sirius (Updated Features & Layout Poll)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 29 January 2019, 19:38:24 »
would like to make the layout like this.
two types of PCB with different mod keys, and with the same case.
all come with split backspace.

Thanks for keeping Option A.

May I ask once more for some space before the arrows? I guess I can solve it myself by omitting the control_right. I’d prefer to feel a distinct left edge with my index finger.

space before the arrows in a 660-layout is a little strange IMO.

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 02:10:16 »

May I ask once more for some space before the arrows? I guess I can solve it myself by omitting the control_right. I’d prefer to feel a distinct left edge with my index finger.

Yeah at first it is weird. I think it will make for a better typing experience though.

Maybe it’s fine for a 60% kb or smaller, but for such a lovely layout like this one, it needs these small details.

It is roughly the same gap as the far left (between the control_left and the F-keys). And it’s a similar gap to my tenkeyless (which would make a comfortable transition for other buyers too).

I like the modifier placement which we’ve settled on, but this is almost a deal breaker. Please prototype it for yourself and see.

* rjchatfield puts on his `Hat of Understanding`

I’m pleading my case because it’s my own strong preference. But there are other buyers who might think otherwise. Is there anyone else that feels strongly about having the arrows flush against the right_control?

The other thing to consider is that you wanted to use the same case for both PCBs… which means I need to convince *everyone* that the gap is a must have (which it totally is ). That would leave you with the R1 of:

Left:  |1.25|1.25|1.25| 2.25 | 1 |
Right: | 2.5  |1.25|1.25|1.25| |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25|1.25| 1 | |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25| 1 |1.25| |arrows

First option might be too difficult to get spacebars for?

But what does everyone think?

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 11:27:59 »

I understand the appeal, both aesthetically and for more efficient typing, but I've never needed that space nor found it beneficial.

The spacing makes right side 1.25 (x3) look much better, which I like a lot, but it limits options. If I understand this correctly, we'd be stuck with 2.25 | 1.25 (x3) on the right side as anything else would look awkward or simply wouldn't fit. In the image linyaofred posted, there is a 2.25 and (3) 1.25, for a total of 6u available space. So the latter two options you posted for the right side won't actually fit.

If we want left side to be consistent with right side we'd stuck with 1.25 (x3) | 2.25 | 1u, which means two 2.25 keys as spacebars. That might be a problem. To accommodate the 2.75 bar we'd have to use 1.5 | 1.25 | 1.5. Who knows, that may work for some people. But it would feel imbalanced to me. Even though I do feel it looks pretty good.

Personally I liked linyaofred's prior layout best. 1.5 | 1.25 | 1.5 | 2.75 on left, 2.25 | 1.5 | 1.25 | 1.5 on right. With separate holes in PCB for option of 1.25 (x3) | 2.25 | 1u on left and 2.75 | 1.25 (x3) on right. I think this creates the best versatility and functionality to accommodate the biggest range of preferences.
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 January 2019, 14:03:09 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline RacerK1

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 30 January 2019, 15:31:58 »

This is exactly what I would want.

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 10:08:22 »
I just realized that the right shift is also 2.25. This would mean no base kit I'm aware of would have enough shifts. Any chance of having a split right shift option as well? I think a 1.25u and 1u there would get us down to 2 2.25u and 1 2.75 in a best case and would allow base kits to fully cover the layout.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 31 January 2019, 20:00:11 »
What are you thinking for a price point at GB?

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 05:13:45 »
Li-ion battery compartment (Adafruit battery, etc...) and USB charging/connectivity and it's a go for me.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 12:47:30 »

No idea yet, but Sirius is working to reduce the price as much as possible, without sacrificing the quality

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 19:42:38 »

By the way, the price of UniGo66 is $350.

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 21:04:27 »

By the way, the price of UniGo66 is $350.

Is that the same keyboard as this one?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 22:31:05 »

Yeah at first it is weird. I think it will make for a better typing experience though.

Maybe it’s fine for a 60% kb or smaller, but for such a lovely layout like this one, it needs these small details.

It is roughly the same gap as the far left (between the control_left and the F-keys). And it’s a similar gap to my tenkeyless (which would make a comfortable transition for other buyers too).

I like the modifier placement which we’ve settled on, but this is almost a deal breaker. Please prototype it for yourself and see.

* rjchatfield puts on his `Hat of Understanding`

I’m pleading my case because it’s my own strong preference. But there are other buyers who might think otherwise. Is there anyone else that feels strongly about having the arrows flush against the right_control?

The other thing to consider is that you wanted to use the same case for both PCBs… which means I need to convince *everyone* that the gap is a must have (which it totally is ). That would leave you with the R1 of:

Left:  |1.25|1.25|1.25| 2.25 | 1 |
Right: | 2.5  |1.25|1.25|1.25| |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25|1.25| 1 | |arrows
Right: | 2.75 |1.25| 1 |1.25| |arrows

First option might be too difficult to get spacebars for?

+1 for the spaced off arrow cluster. As someone who has tried most of the layouts out there long-term, I must say this is a godsend for anyone who uses the arrow keys often, especially for coding. Even in the case that you don't, it is pretty helpful to have a physical barrier to the arrow keys to help with homing, especially when using a split board. I personally like the aesthetic, but that's just an opinion.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 23:58:32 »
I just realized that the right shift is also 2.25. This would mean no base kit I'm aware of would have enough shifts. Any chance of having a split right shift option as well? I think a 1.25u and 1u there would get us down to 2 2.25u and 1 2.75 in a best case and would allow base kits to fully cover the layout.

Yeah that's a good point. Didn't realize that myself.

Anyway I'd be down to get this board in pretty much any of the latter layouts suggested. Spaced arrows or not.
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #112 on: Sat, 16 February 2019, 16:04:17 »

Yeah that's a good point. Didn't realize that myself.

Anyway I'd be down to get this board in pretty much any of the latter layouts suggested. Spaced arrows or not.

I think the votes were probably dominated by aesthetics. Now compatibility comes into the picture, some tweaks can be done to enhance that.

Offline RDaneelOlivaw

• Don't Panic.
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 09:56:12 »
This is awesome. I will definitely buy this once it's available. I like the most recent image posted with the split backspace as well as the stepped off arrow cluster. LOVE IT!

Couple of questions: it says pre-soldered in the notes for the board, as well as hot swap sockets, does this mean this kit will come partially assembled and all we need to do is pop in some switches and caps and screw together the case? Sorry if I'm misunderstanding that.

Also will it use QMK?
He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

Offline lightingghost

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 12:53:44 »
Well, the symmetric spacebar in layout B and C looks better to me due to aesthetic issues. Layout B uses almost all ansi mod keys like 1.25u ctrl alt cmd, making it easier to find keycaps. All in for B!

Also, the 4 mm integrated plate seems to be popular these days. Would you please consider that?
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2019, 12:55:40 by lightingghost »

Offline asury

• /u/adsury/
« Reply #115 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 03:20:13 »
Any updates?  ;D
Grey Duck Sidewinder/GMK Hyperfuse Origins/MX Black retooled | Sage M60-A/GMK Camping/Holy Sky | LFK68/DSA Granite Alps/SKCM Orange Alps

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:13:28 »
Sirius is working on new wireless solutions and updates will come later

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:38:39 »
Here comes the update for this keyboard.

we make a functional prototype for it.
214343-0

use a mitosis layout for testing.
now the rgb in receiver of the keyboard works
214349-1

and we have succeed in making it compatible with VIA Configurator (a testing version) to make the layout programming easier for beginner.
214347-2

things TBD before the keyboard ready:
1. Multimedia keys on receiver.
2. RGB underglow on the left and right side of the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:47:56 by linyaofred »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 21:13:54 »
Here comes the update for this keyboard.

we make a functional prototype for it.
(Attachment Link)

use a mitosis layout for testing.
now the rgb in receiver of the keyboard works
(Attachment Link)

and we have succeed in making it compatible with VIA Configurator (a testing version) to make the layout programming easier for beginner.
(Attachment Link)

things TBD before the keyboard ready:
1. Multimedia keys on receiver.
2. RGB underglow on the left and right side of the keyboard.

YES AND YES

multimedia is awesome and underglow is amazing when diffused properly

Offline freespam

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 00:26:33 »
Option D is better, but not exactly my liking.
Probably make one of the left modifier to be 1u so that the left space is 2.25u? (for GMK compatibility because 2u GMK key is not often)

like this?

but the option A looks better.
Most of custom split keyboard I see (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, because splits is kinda a niche layout) have another key in between the spacebar.
I have three splits, both of them has 1U in between the space keys and one of them not (this is one is mass manufactured, if I have the chance to have a key in between the spacebar, I would).

In my opinion, the reasons for this are:
  • The lower right of the left side of the split keyboard is where the natural thumb rests. If we have two keys easily reachable, it's more ergonomic. If all the modifiers on the left split are all on the left of the spacebar, your left thumb will travel more
  • Since both of my splits are using Bootmapper, double action (FN/SPACE in one key) is not available or reliable enough. Thus having individual keys for FN and Spacebar is preferred.  This related to number 1 since it's more ergonomic to have two keys near.
  • Since not all people use the same hand for hitting the space (I personally use my right thumb when typing, and left thumb while gaming, obviously) I personally don't expect all of the people binds their space keys with space and FN. For me I bind both space keys with space. Thus having an extra key for FN is preferred

And again, this purely my opinion and does not represents major users of split keyboards.
Another thing to keep in mind since it will use QMK, I heard good things with the double action (FN/space) feature. Can someone chime in?
So option D would not be a dealbreaker for me.

In my opinion for the layouts,
This post > Option A (because standard 2.25u and 2.75 space keys) > Option D.
Other options, I would not buy, sorry.

So it would look like this (sorry for the lazy layout...) for the left side bottom row.

I used a 2.75 (space/backspace), 1.25 (FN), 2.25 (space/delete) split spacebar 60's for a long time and also used 2.25,1.25,2.75 for a while.  Now I use a non-split spacebar (space/FN).

I used the 1.25 a lot (+ IJKL for arrows) and for long use the 2.75,1.25,2.25 is a lot more comfortable to me...but the tradeoff was the 2.25 was a little cramped (I space with my right hand and have to curl my thumb a little).  With 2.25,1.25,2.75 the 1.25 was a little stretch...annoying to me because I used it constantly.

Lately I've been using a normal spacebar (space/FN)...for aesthetics on my M65A :)  There's a slight delay when using space/FN that can be a downside for gamers.  I also really miss not being able to backspace/delete on the split spacebar.

IMO a 2-way split spacebar is the best compromise.  Since I space with my right hand, I'd prefer the 2.75 on the right side so it doesn't feel cramped.  No space/FN on the left space so it doesn't impact gaming...right space can be used for space/FN...so I can still use my thumb for FN.  It's the best of both worlds to me.

Some side notes:
- I still use FN + IJKL for arrows even on 65%.  The dedicated arrows are inconvenient to me.
- Just my opinion of course but I like split spacebar backspace way way better than the HHKB backspace spot.  I can live without delete on the split.
The reasoning for both is my fingers rarely need to stretch from the home row.

Almost forgot!  I'm excited for this board...I've got a Unigo66 on the way and if it works well I'll probably (GMK carbon burned my wallet whole) get in on this drop.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 March 2019, 00:32:20 by freespam »

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 07:56:04 »
Great design.   :thumb:
Hope GB starts earlier.

Offline rjchatfield

Offline reptilianbrain

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:36:52 »
Is it safe to assume that with all these features a limited-production keyboard like this would cost in the realm of $300 at least?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 14:58:56 »
Just leaving this here:

Show Image

https://reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/b3soxi/once_youve_seen_it_you_cant_unsee_it/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting, which keyboards are Apple compliant and which are not?

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 15:47:04 »
I don’t know.

I remember reading about this a few years ago when the app icons changed. And they did the same curve for the Mac Mini and Apple TV.

Offline freespam

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 18:30:12 »
You're tempting me a lot with this and the Think65 :)  Based on Unigo66 (great btw), I think some battery related improvements would be nice.

To change batteries on the Unigo66, you have to remove the back of the case by unscrewing 5 small hex screws on each side.  I'm concerned they'll get stripped eventually (I already partially stripped one).  I'd like to see more robust screws, or better yet, a simpler way to change the batteries.

I don't like dealing with button batteries.  The button battery enclosure isn't very sturdy and getting the batteries in and out of it is kind of a hassle.  I'd prefer standard AA or AAA batteries instead of button batteries especially if they'd last longer.  I wouldn't mind at all if this meant a heavier or bulkier case.

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 03:57:23 »
You're tempting me a lot with this and the Think65 :)  Based on Unigo66 (great btw), I think some battery related improvements would be nice.

To change batteries on the Unigo66, you have to remove the back of the case by unscrewing 5 small hex screws on each side.  I'm concerned they'll get stripped eventually (I already partially stripped one).  I'd like to see more robust screws, or better yet, a simpler way to change the batteries.

I don't like dealing with button batteries.  The button battery enclosure isn't very sturdy and getting the batteries in and out of it is kind of a hassle.  I'd prefer standard AA or AAA batteries instead of button batteries especially if they'd last longer.  I wouldn't mind at all if this meant a heavier or bulkier case.

+1

Offline scottwei

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 28 March 2019, 13:12:18 »
Just leaving this here:

Show Image

https://reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/b3soxi/once_youve_seen_it_you_cant_unsee_it/

This is not surprised at all, actually we call this a G2 continuity , there are G3 and G4 continuity in car body design, which means the change rate (even the change rate of rate of change) of curvature are continuously :cool:

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 07:29:52 »
Any updates? And will this be manufactured by ALF like the unigo66?

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #129 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 22:37:38 »
Any updates? And will this be manufactured by ALF like the unigo66?

yes, it will also be manufactured by ALF.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] Uni660 — wireless split by Sirius (PCB Proto Made)
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 22:49:35 »
PCB prototype made

Offline yap68

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 05:49:59 »
Good news. Would like to hear more from this IC since the progress is a bit slow during these two months.

Offline Koatl

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 11:25:13 »
PCB prototype made

So was a layout option decided upon?

New pic only reveals to me that my PCB interpretive skills are weak.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2019, 13:56:51 by Koatl »
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline Pennywise359

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 17:10:26 »
It would be really nice to have split backspace option. I love the design, however it would be even better if diffuser was flush with the rest of the case instead of having this "crack"
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2019, 19:44:46 by Pennywise359 »

Offline mrboli

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 17:54:27 »
Oof! Very interested.
Love the layout!
KBD67 Zealios V2 65g | HHKB Pro 2 | Filco TKL MX Black | Razer BlackWidow

Offline regionfree

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:04:08 »
Really excited for this! It ticks all the right points for me:

• proper split layout with gmk-compatible spacebars
  • bluetooth
  • replaceable batteries!!!
  • receiver with macro pad (please make this happen)

Please execute it well, this looks like a home run!

Offline r4wromg

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 22:53:50 »
It would be really nice to have split backspace option. I love the design, however it would be even better if diffuser was flush with the rest of the case instead of having this "crack"
+1 on split backspace

Offline cyriously

« Reply #137 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 02:02:33 »
There are decent amount of pictures updates over at discord, don't know why it's not posted here

Offline ctrl

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 03:22:08 »
Will the new receiver work with the UniGo66 too? Would totally be down for a new receiver if that's the case!

Offline cyriously

« Reply #139 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 03:38:51 »
There are decent amount of pictures updates over at discord, don't know why it's not posted here
My bad, turns out some of them are updated into the first post.

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 05 April 2019, 12:13:39 »
Will the new receiver work with the UniGo66 too? Would totally be down for a new receiver if that's the case!

it can not work with unigo66 now. but we will soon make a updated pcb for unigo66 which can work with the micro pad receiver and even the via-config. it will be on sale after we fully tested it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2019, 12:19:04 by linyaofred »

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #141 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 06:51:42 »
Does the PCB proto mean that the blocker before the arrow keys has been ruled out? It would be awesome to at least have it as an option, as it's only a .25u blocker

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #142 on: Sat, 06 April 2019, 09:26:16 »
+1 for the .25u spacer before the arrows!!

Many great keyboards have it and for good reason. I’m tempted put a low-profile XDA on that right control to make the arrows somewhat distinguished.

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 06:30:53 »
Interested.

+1 spacer between arrows ;
+1 keep the bottom row with 2.75/2.25 spacebars to be compatible with most keycap sets (gmk,epbt,Sa stuff, mt3,etc.);
+1 for hotswap
+1 layout A

Extra:
- beige/white color option pls
- keep it under 300$ shipped

Offline ctrl

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 06:50:04 »

it can not work with unigo66 now. but we will soon make a updated pcb for unigo66 which can work with the micro pad receiver and even the via-config. it will be on sale after we fully tested it.

Great! I was expecting a simple "not possible" so stoked to hear there's an updated PCB in the works. :)

Offline Tyki

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 21:42:44 »
Ooh. Really like how this looks. Interested to see how this goes!

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 23:28:01 »
Is there any kind of tenting capability planned?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline darrenph1

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 12:37:11 »
Is there any kind of tenting capability planned?

+1 for this!

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #148 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 02:57:39 »
Any updates on this? If it’s no longer going through ALF, who else can manufacture this?

Offline rjchatfield

« Reply #149 on: Sat, 11 May 2019, 06:15:52 »
For all following this thread: New photos of assembled and the receiver in the Discord

Looks great!