Author Topic: [IC] GMK Blue Mod Set (Final Render & Pricing Received) Going Live April 3rd!  (Read 1836719 times)

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
Re: [IC] GMK Blue Mod Set (Revised Mockup Received)
« Reply #550 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:09:52 »
wouldn't it be better to save those keys for a full blown GMK Raindrop set?

No, we need this modifiers set A.S.A.P.
Wut. Why. I see no reason to rush on this with so many buys going on and in the works.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #551 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:10:39 »

Wut. Why. I see no reason to rush on this with so many buys going on and in the works.
I think he just means we should go ahead and do this set. I'll hit bunny up and make sure he doesn't mind if we do this colorway :)

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #552 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:15:00 »

Exactly my thoughts.  I'm back in on this with this color scheme. :)

I had to laugh when I read your comment though.  We **NEED** these keycaps like food and water. :thumb

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #553 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:20:44 »
So after doing this, I've convinced myself that it's okay.  It's still not the best, but not the worst either.  We just have a lot in the blue spectrum right now and it would be nice to do something different.

OG Dolch

OG Cream and Beige

TA Blue

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #554 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:21:50 »
So after doing this, I've convinced myself that it's okay.  It's still not the best, but not the worst either.

OG Dolch
Show Image

OG Cream and Beige
Show Image

TA Blue
Show Image

10/10 Thank you for the pictures!

Would definitely buy now.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:56:19 »
This set is so needed, as a glass of cold water in hell.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #556 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:57:29 »
Sir Nubbi, a render of the blue mod with classic WoB would be awesome, as the pictures you already posted are.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:08:47 »
Sir Nubbi, a render of the blue mod with classic WoB would be awesome, as the pictures you already posted are.

I no can render.  I has no rendering skills.  I can sample colors and figure out their value and set it in keyboard layout editor, but I can't do proper renders.

I'm still not a fan of the set.  It's a decent accent color, but I think a full set of mods will not look good with anything other than OG cream and beige.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #558 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:10:43 »

I no can render.  I has no rendering skills.  I can sample colors and figure out their value and set it in keyboard layout editor, but I can't do proper renders.

I'm still not a fan of the set.  It's a decent accent color, but I think a full set of mods will not look good with anything other than OG cream and beige.
Do you have any colors you would like to see besides 3B? Didn't seem like there was much love for that color.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #559 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:12:58 »
I need to mess around a bit this weekend and see if I come up with anything I really think would be awesome.  I'm just picky and vocal about it.  I loved 3B, I think people just weren't giving it a chance.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #560 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:13:56 »
I need to mess around a bit this weekend and see if I come up with anything I really think would be awesome.  I'm just picky and vocal about it.  I loved 3B, I think people just weren't giving it a chance.
Word. Hopefully GMK didn't forget to send my color ring with the CMYW caps, so hopefully I'll have my own color ring soon :)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #561 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:16:11 »

What do you have in mind then?

A good GMK modifiers set is something the community really needs, any color that can be paired with available and upcoming full sets would be very useful. The potential to put currently available Cherry sets into proper use is great. So lets get this done, Ivan's does not appear to go well, but we should support both.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #562 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:35:31 »
For funsies, here is white on magenta.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #563 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:39:27 »

Show Image

I would buy that but I doubt we'd hit MOQ unfortunately.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #564 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 23:06:22 »

Show Image

This is one of my dream

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #565 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 03:16:52 »
Hey guys, got the mockup back today. Decided to try out CC on N5. CC is the gray used on the alphas of Dolch, so it will match that set nicely. Also, the medium gray tone should match beige quite nicely. I think this combo is a good middle ground between the two :). The first mockup you will see is one edited by vesper to be more color accurate. GMK renders tend to be a bit faded, so some enhancement is needed ;D. If you have any of the blue GMK caps from EK, this is the same blue. However, due to it being doubleshot with a gray plastic, the blue won't be as bright as the caps EK sells.

There will also be an escape pack that will have a matching escape with a few other colorways :cool:

"Electric Bluegaloo" -FrostyToast
Show Image

Here is the render GMK set.
Show Image

Please let me know how you feel about the color and about the keys included :) Thanks to geniekid for the awesome idea of having the delete legend printed on the front of the |\ cap  :thumb:

Show Image

credit to lucifer
Show Image

no credit
Show Image

credit to nntam

So will this be the final kit (I mean the keys included and not the color)?

I was really hoping we go for TKL support :(

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #566 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 04:44:42 »
Just my .02, I think the mods with darker legends look much better than the sets with white legends. I personally want to match these with a beige set and the white legends throw me.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #567 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 05:33:58 »
Just my .02, I think the mods with darker legends look much better than the sets with white legends. I personally want to match these with a beige set and the white legends throw me.
Exactly my thought.

The problem here is: White legends mods will only fit white legends alphas and black legends mods will only fit black legend alphas. It's really hard to please both worlds, I guess.
A compromise could be some bright color on grey base. Like yellow on dark grey, green on dark grey, magenta on dark grey.

I like the magenta  :) Black on magenta

Offline jabbon

« Reply #568 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 05:46:26 »
alright, I'll ask for mockup same blue with white and black legends instead.

Any other colors you guys would like to see? Since we have the keys down, it's pretty easy for them to swap out the colors.

Add a 2x  right shift!!! (11800 and 11900 boards)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #569 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:34:55 »
Hey guys, got the mockup back today. Decided to try out CC on N5. CC is the gray used on the alphas of Dolch, so it will match that set nicely. Also, the medium gray tone should match beige quite nicely. I think this combo is a good middle ground between the two :). The first mockup you will see is one edited by vesper to be more color accurate. GMK renders tend to be a bit faded, so some enhancement is needed ;D. If you have any of the blue GMK caps from EK, this is the same blue. However, due to it being doubleshot with a gray plastic, the blue won't be as bright as the caps EK sells.

There will also be an escape pack that will have a matching escape with a few other colorways :cool:

"Electric Bluegaloo" -FrostyToast
Show Image

Here is the render GMK set.
Show Image

Please let me know how you feel about the color and about the keys included :) Thanks to geniekid for the awesome idea of having the delete legend printed on the front of the |\ cap  :thumb:

Show Image

credit to lucifer
Show Image

no credit
Show Image

credit to nntam

So will this be the final kit (I mean the keys included and not the color)?

I was really hoping we go for TKL support :(
Me too, but the interest just wasn't there for the extra cost of full-TKL support :/

Exactly my thought.

The problem here is: White legends mods will only fit white legends alphas and black legends mods will only fit black legend alphas. It's really hard to please both worlds, I guess.
A compromise could be some bright color on grey base. Like yellow on dark grey, green on dark grey, magenta on dark grey.

That's what I was trying to do with the gray legends was find a middle ground, but people didn't seem to like them.

alright, I'll ask for mockup same blue with white and black legends instead.

Any other colors you guys would like to see? Since we have the keys down, it's pretty easy for them to swap out the colors.

Add a 2x  right shift!!! (11800 and 11900 boards)
In order to keep costs down I am trying to include as few keys as possible. Having the majority of people support the minority that use that layout isn't fair for everyone else. :-X

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #570 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:47:01 »
I'm really liking the white on blue. I think it would look absolutely stunning with either Dolch or WoB.

I bought a set of RGB mods from EK to pair with a WoB set, and they look great, IMO. I think they would also look nice with a black on beige set. I absolutely think white legends are the way to go for colored mods, even if the alphas have black legends.

Is that the only blue GMK offers, or is there a darker blue? If there's a darker one, maybe lastpilot would be willing to do a mockup with that?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #571 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:48:00 »
I'm really liking the white on blue. I think it would look absolutely stunning with either Dolch or WoB.

I bought a set of RGB mods from EK to pair with a WoB set, and they look great, IMO. I think they would also look nice with a black on beige set. I absolutely think white legends are the way to go for colored mods, even if the alphas have black legends.

Is that the only blue GMK offers, or is there a darker blue? If there's a darker one, maybe lastpilot would be willing to do a mockup with that?
They have a darker blue, V4.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #572 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:50:26 »

Ah, thank you. That must be the original TA color, before UV exposure. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #573 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:51:52 »

Yes sir!

(old mockup that showed the colors)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #574 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 08:56:18 »

Yes sir!
Show Image

Nice! Now just pair the V4 mod set with Olivetti alphas, and sit it in the sun for a couple years. Boom! TA teal.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #575 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 11:03:55 »

Yes sir!
Show Image

Nice! Now just pair the V4 mod set with Olivetti alphas, and sit it in the sun for a couple years. Boom! TA teal.

Different resin formulation - I think we will have a disappointed JD in a few years instead.  ;)

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #576 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 11:06:37 »

Yes sir!
Show Image

Different resin formulation - I think we will have a disappointed JD in a few years instead.  ;)
Ripster would be proud

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #577 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 11:12:38 »
Exactly my thought.

That's what I was trying to do with the gray legends was find a middle ground, but people didn't seem to like them.

I liked the gray legends as a middle ground but I can see why people didn't, they were missing the contrast that black and white have.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #578 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 11:21:55 »

Yes sir!

Oh, well then let's go back to the old resin. :))

in memoriam

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #579 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 12:12:06 »
I think the contrast of the white legends on the blue makes for the most pleasing set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #580 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 12:36:44 »
Modifiers with black legends on white could match alphas in both legend colors.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 12:47:18 by ideus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #581 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 12:58:45 »
Why not to ask Sir Bunny permission to make an HF modifiers set?

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #582 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 13:13:25 »

Would 100% buy it. Doesn't even have to be that teal, could be anything, green, yellow, orange on that neutral grey.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #583 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 13:14:36 »

Show Image

Insta-buy, 2 sets.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #584 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 13:25:07 »
I'm not sure I understand the point of this if there is already a hyperfuse group buy?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #585 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 14:09:02 »
I'm not sure I understand the point of this if there is already a hyperfuse group buy?

Point: An stand alone HF modifiers set.

Other option can be to select a base dark gray with a bright color for legends, maybe like the Dolch delete modifier.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 14:30:01 by ideus »

Offline padath

« Reply #586 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 15:27:55 »

I have a few keys in both the lighter N5 blue and the darker V4 blue that GMK offer. I took a picture of them with GMK Dolch. The lighting isn't great but it shows the difference nicely. Not sure which I prefer.

Dolch

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #587 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 15:45:09 »

I have a few keys in both the lighter N5 blue and the darker V4 blue that GMK offer. I took a picture of them with GMK Dolch. The lighting isn't great but it shows the difference nicely. Not sure which I prefer.

Dolch
Show Image

V4 the darker looks crisper, while the light looks washed out.

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #588 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 15:55:53 »

Dolch
Show Image

Thank you for the pictures. I think the V4 looks pretty good! I'll see what I can do about getting a mockup made in that color.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:36:46 »
This IC has taken an interesting turn!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #590 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:40:30 »
Gotta say I like the N5 more. V4 just reminds me too much of a children's toy like the fisher price set.

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #591 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:46:53 »
neither of GMK's blues maintain any sort of consistency in the dozens of photos i've seen. the V4 in padath's photo looks nothing like this:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #592 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:51:46 »
There is no color to match both: white and black legends on the alphas, then, lets use a bright color for the mod's legends on a neutral base color for the caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #593 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:19:41 »
If it's blue, N5 over V4 any day.  V4 doesn't look good with classic colors.  It's a nice blue, but not great with anything but classic  Cream.

As promised some ideas.  I scanned some caps and took rough color values from points to try and get the closest to what it looks like.  Sine there are so many rough mock ups, I'm making the one I think looks the best first, then letting you expand the others.  Each set is paired with classic Cream, classic Dolch, and classic WoB.

First, since someone mentioned magenta, I did some quick mock ups of Magenta (UN33656) with Black (CR) legends:

More

The one I still love, but won't get made, 3B with CR legends:

More

Since a lot of people wanted it (but I think it looks like an obnoxious over the top CCnG), AE with CR legends (the green seems a little more dull in the mockups than when I'm looking at it in person):

More

Black (CR) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends:

More

Dolch Grey (N9) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends:

More

Might as well round out the bright colors with AE (Yellow) with CR (Black) legends, even if I don't care for it:

More

And, lastly, the often asked for Yolch with AE legends:

More

« Last Edit: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:22:16 by nubbinator »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #594 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:35:29 »
+1

Black (CR) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #595 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:39:44 »
Thanks nubbinator  :thumb:

In my oppinion Black (CR) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends is the best compromise. It looks amazing, no matter if paired with WoB, Dolch or Classic Cream.

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #596 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:40:32 »
Thanks nubbinator  :thumb:

In my oppinion Black (CR) with AE (Green), UN33656 (Magenta), UN6037 (Cyan), CV (Yellow), and 2M (Light Grey) legends is the best compromise. It looks amazing, no matter if paired with WoB, Dolch or Classic Cream.

I kind of like the Dolch version better, but both are nice.

And I really like the magenta even though it's over the top and absurd.

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #597 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:48:15 »

I kind of like the Dolch version better, but both are nice.

And I really like the magenta even though it's over the top and absurd.

Agreed, I just thought Black Base would satisfy WoB users more ... I honestly don't care, I think either Black or Dolch Base looks absolutly stunning.

I'm also digging the magenta, but hitting MOQ is another thing ...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #598 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 19:18:37 »
AE looks nice :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #599 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 19:20:59 »
A GMK made black moogle has been requested by many for a long time, and now, if it comes with these colored legends it would be an easy sell.