Author Topic: Shine 3 Spacebar  (Read 24824 times)

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
Shine 3 Spacebar
« on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:15:35 »
I have confirmed that Ducky will be using the Snake spacebar on all of the Shine 3s.

I'm considering making some alternative spacebars.  Main goals are 1) keeping it clean / simple 2) continue providing the RGB spacebar LEDs room to 'shine'.

Here are some examples.  If you have a favorite or another idea / suggestion, please post below.

27776-0

27778-1

27780-2
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Shine 3 Spacebar
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:16:20 »
Can we get one that say GH on it?

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:16:59 »
A complete Shine 3:

27782-0

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:22:01 »
What sized spacebar is that? 6.25?

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:34:17 »
i really like the bottom one
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:35:52 »
i really like the bottom one

Me too and +1 on a GeekHack spacebar as well.  ;D

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:37:50 »
GH space bar > *

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:47:11 »
What sized spacebar is that? 6.25?

Standard size.

Each square on the grid is 1/2" so, it's right at about 4 5/8"

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 11:50:39 »

It depends on minimums.  I will see what I can do.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 12:07:34 »

It depends on minimums.  I will see what I can do.

You could always start a group buy for them and I'd be happy to help.

Offline bigsid05

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 23:41:34 »
I like the last one as well. I would certainly purchase one if it's reasonably priced (and if I can snag the Shine 3 I want).

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 July 2013, 23:52:12 »
GH Spacebar!!! I'm down... The third one is sweet too!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline lyrill

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 01:47:22 »
ditto to all. will these be addon freebies for buying shine 3 on mk.com?|

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 06:30:12 »
Stupid question here but for people not liking the spacebar and wanting a different one, how long do you plan on actually using the Ducky OEM key caps?

Or perhaps these are better than previous caps....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 13 July 2013, 07:17:08 »
Stupid question here but for people not liking the spacebar and wanting a different one, how long do you plan on actually using the Ducky OEM key caps?

Perhaps longer than you might think.  To get maximum effect from the backlighting, there are sufficiently few sets of replacement keycaps around.

I still have most of the original ones on my Ducky Shine 1.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 12:38:16 »
I'm considering making some alternative spacebars.  Main goals are 1) keeping it clean / simple 2) continue providing the RGB spacebar LEDs room to 'shine'.
I actually like the MK.com logo one the most -- I might've said the Ducky logo, but I thought rumor had it they were going to be phasing that logo out pretty soon (?).  Thumbs down on the "Shine 3" one, sorry.

Also, are all Shine3/YOTS boards still going to be able to show the spacebar lighting in the board's native LED color, apart from the RGB?
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2013, 15:32:23 by raspiguy »

Offline raspiguy

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 16:12:32 »

You wouldn't even have to replace the entire set -- a blank black ABS spacebar replacement would work just fine.  There might be the slightest color tone / texture difference to someone examining it up close (as I understand it, these OEMs are actually 'translucent ABS' caps with black paint), but I can't imagine it would either feel or appear to be materially different while typing.   

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 10:11:00 »
My vote is actually on the Ducky logo.

Sidenote: If mechanicalkeyboards needs a new logo let me know. I've done a lot of logo work in the past and I recently did the one for keypop.net  :]

Offline shifted

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 11:33:35 »
I like the Mechanicalkeyboards one the best.  I would also like one that is similar to the mechanical keyboard one except just a single light bar across the middle without any logo.  I am getting a zero shine and would consider getting one of these to replace the one on the Zero even though the Zero spacebar looks pretty good to me.  I just prefer a more minimal look and don't like branding visible since I know what brand of keyboard I have.

Here is what I mean.  Just a crude paint edit of one of the OP's images.  I don't know how far apart the LED's are under the spacebar so the width of the light part would maybe need to be wider...not sure:

« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2013, 11:42:47 by shifted »

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 15:39:09 »
Thanks for everyone's feedback!

Will update when I hear back from Ducky on what we can do.

Offline Yzeets

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:07:56 »
I'd like to see something with a bigger ducky logo

Offline lyrill

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 16:50:26 »

Show Image

that's quite over the top

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 18 July 2013, 20:24:27 »

Show Image

that's quite over the top

On the front, over the top, and probably down teh back too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 13:40:22 »

Show Image

Is it just me, or does the Ducky logo look like someone from Looney Tunes?

28734-0

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
  • MechanicalKeyboards.com
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 14:08:31 »
The logo is the love child of Marvin the Martian and Daffy Duck.
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
Josh@mechanicalkeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 14:16:28 »

That's actually very believable. ;)

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 17:21:36 »

Very observant.

Offline ARod

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 08:29:26 »
I think it's a good idea they decided to use the Snake Spacebar, it helps denote the year.  But, it makes the YOTS edition less exclusive.  So, YOTS will only be differentiated by the aluminum chassis and Mandarin characters?  That's not so cool, especially since it will only be White backlit. 

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 08:32:52 »
I think it's a good idea they decided to use the Snake Spacebar, it helps denote the year.  But, it makes the YOTS edition less exclusive.  So, YOTS will only be differentiated by the aluminum chassis and Mandarin characters?  That's not so cool, especially since it will only be White backlit.

They really should have gone with the green back-lighting for the YotS keyboards.  Nothing says snake like green, to me anyway.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 08:36:14 »
i would be in 100% for a GH spacebar

there was supposed to be a run on pbt spacebars somewhere...didn't happen

Offline jameslr

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 10:01:06 »
+1 for GH spacebar or the MK logo bar. I don't really like the snake bar. :(
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 11:06:27 »
Ducky decided to add an optional Space bar DAYS before they released the Shine 3.  As such, we have canceled our order of custom space bars.

Between convincing Ducky to make White LED Shine 2s and adding optional spacebars for Shine 3, I think we should be due for some sort of consulting fees soon here...  We keep trying to establish some sort of custom / exclusive MK version with these ideas, and Ducky implements them across the board at the final hour lol.  We're just happy to help :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 11:39:09 »
Ducky decided to add an optional Space bar DAYS before they released the Shine 3.  As such, we have canceled our order of custom space bars.

Between convincing Ducky to make White LED Shine 2s and adding optional spacebars for Shine 3, I think we should be due for some sort of consulting fees soon here...  We keep trying to establish some sort of custom / exclusive MK version with these ideas, and Ducky implements them across the board at the final hour lol.  We're just happy to help :)

For what it's worth, your designs were much nicer than what Ducky ended up releasing.  The duck head with those two strokes just looks odd to me in terms of a style clash.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:00:40 »
I agree, but it's much more bearable than the Snake and good enough to make producing yet another alternative less practical.

Thanks for the compliment :)

edit: Also, to clarify - I think the Snake is actually kind of cool, but not really 'applicable' for Shine 3s across the board.

Offline Invaderscs

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:40:05 »
I just got my Ducky Shine 3 and I feel like I'm the only one that actually likes the look of the snake spacebar.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 13:54:42 »
I just got my Ducky Shine 3 and I feel like I'm the only one that actually likes the look of the snake spacebar.

I don't think anyone dislikes it in principle, but in practice, the snake design allows a lot of light through once you turn on the LEDs, so I would find it distracting.  Especially because it goes over the top and the side of the spacebar.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 03:24:20 »

I don't think anyone dislikes it in principle, but in practice, the snake design allows a lot of light through once you turn on the LEDs, so I would find it distracting.  Especially because it goes over the top and the side of the spacebar.

It is the snake on top of the space bar that would be distracting.  The duck on the front I hardly notice, but across a large portion of the top ... hmmm.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 20:02:16 »

Nope, I left the snake in place as well.  It's not actually that bright, there's just one green LED behind it, same as the keycaps. 

Not really a fan of the red and blue LEDs, not sure why they added those. 

Offline jameslr

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 20:12:28 »
I left the snake on mine too. It's growing on me. Took me a bit to figure out how to adjust they spacebar LED colors.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline bigsid05

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 09:06:28 »
First thing I did was swap the spacebar, I hate the snake. I don't get the RGB LEDs either, it's pretty hard to get them to match and it seems like they have to be set every time the PC is turned on. Is it possible to get the color setting to stick?

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 10:53:02 »
Will MK carry shine keycaps again? I'm looking for a set right now and it feels impossible to find a set.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 11:08:51 »
Will MK carry shine keycaps again? I'm looking for a set right now and it feels impossible to find a set.

We're supposedly first in line for some, but it's been weeks without word and we ask at least once a week.

Offline Invaderscs

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 12:50:52 »
First thing I did was swap the spacebar, I hate the snake. I don't get the RGB LEDs either, it's pretty hard to get them to match and it seems like they have to be set every time the PC is turned on. Is it possible to get the color setting to stick?

Have you looked at the manual? This is how you save colors.

Offline bigsid05

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 11 August 2013, 14:01:11 »

Have you looked at the manual? This is how you save colors.
Show Image

I thought I saw that in there... just forgot to refer back to it when I wanted to set the space bar. Thanks for pointing it out again!

Offline lyrill

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:24:56 »

you're serious right? i mean seriously? you are complaining about distraction while we are talking about a keyboard named "shine" and legit all about the SHINE, the third generation at that...? like what>

Offline lyrill

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:25:33 »

ask ducky, or read manual if it's actually explained.

Offline lyrill

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 07 September 2013, 19:27:46 »

it's not the look, it's the function. that snake is such a huge deal because it was SUPPOSED to be a YOTS exclusive, and Ducky was kind enough to share that exclusiveness with all early first batch shine3 buyers as a perk, it's a shame most people spat on that kind gesture and toss it away

secondly it has double the amount of reinforcement underneath it comparing to the backup one with ducky logo