Author Topic: LZ-S Detailed Super-Long Build Log [typing video posted]  (Read 101225 times)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
LZ-S Detailed Super-Long Build Log [typing video posted]
« on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:10:03 »
Sky Blue LZ-S

I. Intro
  • History
  • Goal
II. Build Log
  • Dissassembly
  • Switches
  • Soldering
  • LEDs
III. Conclusion

Introduction

History
As far as Sifo and I know, there are 28 LZ-S keyboards in existence and only 3 of them were made in the Sky Blue anodized finish. Getting this board was a result of pure chance, not work. I had just sold my KMAC LE in search for a full LED aluminum custom, but I did not have any Korean or US connections that had any inside information. I just kept an eye out on the classifieds and I got stupid lucky. As soon as I saw it, I bought it (February 22nd 2014). I've never looked back since.

Little did I know that the board came with the first version of the A87 PCB and supported even less LEDs than my KMAC. It had red switches which I used for a few months before being switched to 62g clears. After getting soldering equipment and doing a few first jobs, I did my first lube job and had lubed 62g clears. My lube kit did not come with a needle applicator so I had to use a fine paintbrush (which I thought was fine since that is what Vesper and WFD had been using). The rushed result as a kustom-crazed first-timer was less than ideal (frankly, I was embarrassed to the point that I did not want this board to make it to any meetups) and I had always planned on redoing it after gaining more experience and a new PCB.

Sky blue and magenta LED's had just been discovered a few months ago, so everything seemed to line up perfectly for a 1-year anniversary rebuild: I _just_ found a PCB, had months of soldering and assembling experience, "mastered" lubing, and now new LED colors - it's the PERFECT time to strike!

Goal
#LEDisease - I need that full LED. Also needed to redo the switches to 65g. I knew that going to a heavier spring would help mitigate typing noise (this board was hella noisy compared to my GON - see video) and at the same time give me something closer to my 55g topre board at work which I've enjoyed so much.

This is my favorite keyboard. Time to finally update it.

Build Log

Disassembly

Friday - February 26th, 2015

Standard disassembly, nothing notable to see here. Housing pieces are cleaned using paper towels and 99% isopropyl alcohol. Then the two pieces were stored in felt bags that my speakers came in and put away in a safe place in my closet. I felt a little pang of sadness when I finished taking off the keycaps. Soon. I'll come back to type on you soon and it'll be better than ever.

Saturday - February 27th, 2015

It's an early morning because I have to pick up the PCB from the post office. I was at work when the attempted delivery happened yesterday - sadness. I have a good Hardee's breakfast - the double loaded omelet biscuit - highly recommended. Grocery shopping is done along with other menial weekend tasks. Food is important. Kinda.

That night, the Hakko 808 does its job perfectly removing the switches from the old green PCB labeled A87 WINKEYLESS. No version number so it must be early. It has LED holes for Scroll Lock, Caps Lock and Num Lock. That's it. This PCB sucks. It goes straight to my spare parts bin.

That's all for the day, because I know that I need all of Sunday to make the switches.

Switches

Sunday - March 1st, 2015

Switches take the ENTIRE day and night. Taken apart in the daylight and reunited in the moonlight.

Lubing methods are done same way as my GON since the results were pitch perfect albeit maddeningly time consuming.

I purchased a new pack of clear PCB mount switches and 65g gold plated springs. I didn't want to reuse the old stems and switch housings in the fear of not being able to clean them thoroughly enough (without damaging the gold leaves) and end up with another uneven board. I'm confident in my lube skills now, so I know that the new switches are a sure investment. Using the_Beast switch tools to open the switches require a little of a technique to learn. My pair was uneven so I had to observe the tabs on the bottom of the switch and make sure I was opening all four at roughly the same time by properly adjust my squeezing power between the two tools.

If the opening process is too forced the gold leaf within the switch can be bent. This is an INSTANT KO for the switch. It will result in an uneven feel and even in some cases render your switch unusable. I've learned this the hard way. With this in mind, I take _extra_ care when "pulling" the top of the switch off. I have to wear gloves because my hands sweat from the squeezing force and my own nervousness. Out of this batch of ~90 switches, this happens twice to me - PHEW. I can finally breath normally again.

Once the switches are disassembled, springs and SIP sockets are inserted into the bottom housings. Each spring is lubed with Victorinox knife oil by dipping a fine brush into the oil before running it through the entire coil of the spring before being placed in the bottom housing of the switch. It's a relaxing process, especially after switch disassembly. A little messy after a while, but stress-free nonetheless.

With Vicorinox oil, I find that the difference in feel is negligible, but I feel that this will help the durability and consistency of the springs over time.

Stems are lubed with "Thick Formula" kit lube with a needle applicator. Reassembling the switch is a little tricky with the SIP sockets bouncing around, but I get faster as I keep going. Once a switch is snapped back together I immediately proceed with sound testing by holding it up to my ear and repeatedly activating the switch at different speeds and intensity.

It's important to hold the switch in the _exact same_ manner as well as place it at the same location from your listening ear with each switch. Altering either of these placements will result in a seemingly different sound.

When I find a "faulty" switch I first put an LED in to make sure the extra noise or feel isn't coming from the loose SIP sockets. If the noise continues, I try re-lubing. Every time I relube, a new switch top is needed because the AboStudio clear switch tops are really a one-time use affair. Out of the batch, 7 switches are thrown away - so I have to make 94 switches total - or 96 if you count the two I ruined during disassembly.

This attention to detail is demanding and is precisely why I reserve an entire day for switches. The only breaks I take are for the bathroom and quick eating. I keep myself hydrated and focused. I finish around 1AM.

I would really rather do it over the course of two days, but doing it all in one day helps me with technique consistency.

Monday - March 2nd, 2015

Yes - while I did test each switch last night, I don't trust myself when I've been worked the entire day. Once I get home from the office, I start the second set of sound tests - this time using an LED to hold the SIP sockets in place. 3 more switches are discarded and replaced with newly assembled and lubed units. Two more sets of sound testing is done, but no deficiencies are found.

87 switches, 30 seconds a switch, 3 passes of testing = almost two hours of critical listening + 1 hour of dinner and breaks = I should go to bed around 9PM if absolutely nothing goes wrong and have zero distractions and I know exactly what to eat for dinner LOL.

I go to bed around 11 LOL.

Soldering

Tuesday - March 3rd, 2015

Soldering is the fun part. I can finally listen to music again. No more brutal sound testing. Just takes me about an hour. Then I clip and place in the LEDs. Another hour. It was easy. A little TOO easy. Turns out my instincts are right. I put all the caps on the board and type on it - something is wrong. It feels plasticky. Weird. Travel seems a little shorter too. Does more spring weight do that? No. It's something else.

Dear god the LED's are touching the all the caps besides the top profile (F-row).

Dear keyboard god in the sky.

Please help me.

I try sanding some LED's and try it on the ZXC row - angled like I've seen it done in the "Post Your Korean Keyboards" thread - with the angled top. It doesn't work. The Triumph Adler keycaps have even LESS clearance for LED's than standard GMK. They are thicker, so traditional sanding wouldn't work. I pass it off as a failure and just keep the F-row lit. I try to convince myself on it. Yeah just the F-row. That's tasteful right? Don't want too many LED's anyway, that's just overkill. I think I last maybe an hour before I'm trying to find new ways to make the LED fit. I try the whole night. No success. I go to sleep thinking about living with just the top row lit. Might as well be having nightmares.

LEDs

Wednesday - March 4th, 2015

I try having a normal day. Work at the office is good. A little distracted but productive. I feel like I'm settling. But for WHAT? I've waited more than a year for WHAT?! I wanted FULL LED's dammit! I felt like a failure. Was I really going to do this? Post my LZ with just the top row lit? GHers noticed my GON so they know that I love having full LED's. I've bothered countless people over the past year trying to source the full-LED PCB - to the point where I was even asking for broken ones to try and repair. I even learned soldering and bought the equipment because I loved the LZ so much I wanted to work on it myself. I had simply gotten TOO FAR to just quit. The LZ chose me.

I go home reaking of failure. I don't even want to look at my board.

I can't help it but spend another night trying different things with LEDs - good thing I had plenty extras.

I try sanding 2 sides, then 3 sides, then finally come up with a solution - the "maximum sanded" LED. An LED sanded down to the wire from ALL SIDES - especially the bottom. It was clipped shorter than a normal SIP socket led. This would allow the LED to "sink" deeper into the switch housing and avoid touching the inside of the keycap. This technique with my standard nail filer that I used to clip stabs was time consuming. One LED could take 3 to 5 minutes. Jesus christ I have 71 of these to do. That's almost 4 hours minimum meaning two nights of weekday work if I wanted to eat dinner and relax a little when I got home.

I make 34 of these "Maximum Sanded" LEDs to fill the num row and qwerty row. I place them on the board. My heart sinks as it only 10 of them work. After some investigation it had turned out that I had sanded the other 24 LEDs to the point of breaking the m-shaped circuit at the top of the LED. Again, I feel the heavy burden of the another failure with the LZ. But then again, 10 of them worked.

I latch on to this glimmer of hope and I stay up even longer, sanding 24 replacement LED's. I had set out with my goal to fill the first two rows and dammit if I'm going to stop now.

I go to bed exhausted just thinking about sanding all the LED's. But I'm happier than yesterday. At least I know there IS A WAY.  The path exists. My persistence has rewarded me. I will have all 87 keys lit up with LED goodness so help me god.

My LZ will be lit this weekend. Just the thought of it makes me smile. Damn. I could even have pictures up Saturday.

It's 3AM. I go to sleep. The best sleep I've had in days. Also one of the shortest.

Thursday - March 5th, 2015

My stress over this board is starting to catch up to me - I'm exhausted. I take it a little easy today - even though I secretly wanted to finish the board today. I assure myself that even if I did finish today, I wouldn't be able to make use of the morning sun for photos until Saturday. I make 13 LED's today - enough for the next row of keys. I don't even clip them. I'm pretty ****ing tired right now. And I'm already relieved that this is even possible. I deserve to relax a little.

Conclusion

Friday - March 6th, 2015

The day is full of smiles and excitement. Today I finish it!

As soon as I get home from work I finish sanding the last 23 LED's and reassemble the board. There is an immense relief as I type over the board for the first time. I type on it and test it for what seems like hours - mindlessly staring into it's newly lit face. Happy on the brink of insanity. It's too late to take pictures now. I'll use the early Saturday morning daylight for that.

My eyelids feel heavy as I lay down to rest.

It's been a long journey with the LZ.

I remember when I got it in the mail and I was terrified because it was wrapped in a ton of bubble-wrap without a box.
I remember inspecting it and being relieved that it had no scratches.
I remember driving two hours for its first switch swap because I was a total noob.
I remember the first time I typed on GMK keycaps.
I remember the first time typing on lubed ergo-clears.
When I clipped its stabs.
When I removed it's riser and typed without angle.
When I bought it a matching cable and a matching mousepad.
And the multiple times I've attached the bottom housing the opposite way.

These were all great moments.

Now I've completely rebuilt it and for the first time in my life the LZ feels complete.

Saturday- March 7th, 2015

I wake up, drink some coconut water and immediately start taking photos. I purposefully saved my Gundam magazines as a backdrop for this moment! It's a celebratory ritual - something you do when you're finally at the proud moment where you can share your happiness with others. I spend 2 hours in the morning just shooting photos. Another hour at night for a night shot.

Happy anniversary LZ!

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2015, 22:58:04 by Lastpilot »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
Re: LZ-S Detailed Super-Long Build Log
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:11:48 »
Excellent my man  :thumb:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:16:56 »
Amazing board and great build log! I liked having the story to go with the pictures.  :)

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:20:14 »
Lovely pictures, Lastpilot! :thumb:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:22:22 »

wow zeal doesnt even care about  the content  ^-^

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:28:40 »
It looks very nice. Great job with the build log too.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:30:52 »

Do I need to write a log on my feelings like last time?

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 22:35:01 »

I only view LastPilot's threads for their pictures. Read later after I've cleaned up. jkjk
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:02:24 »
Won't lie pics look great but I stayed for the story!  Great work

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:29:06 »
awesome build log lastpilot :thumb:

Offline vindaon

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:04:53 »
Fantastic board and build log. You really go the extra mile.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:29:43 »
Well done bro, you spoil yours more than I. Didn't know you got yours almost exactly 1 year after mine :p

Also is your plate the same colour as the case or a darker blue?
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 01:31:22 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 02:57:21 »
Excellent reading, would you have a comparison shot of a stock led vs your "extra sanded" one?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 04:16:11 »
Fantastic build log, lastpilot. Its a mashup of my two favorite things - stories and keyboards in suggestive poses. :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 04:34:13 »
Fan-flippin-tastic. Pretty inspirational too :)

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 04:41:24 »
Amazing pictures and story. Glad it turned out the way you liked it. :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline feizor

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 05:17:58 »
Good work mate! love your super detailed logs!

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 07:12:03 »
Wow, I enjoyed reading this so much. Love the new board. Looks like it was totally worth the effort.

I have some LED's that need sanding. Wanna help me out?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:32:05 »
feelin a lot of pressure for my pictures when my GON arrives....

Nice pictures and build log =)
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline ceflame

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:36:33 »
I need some up close photos of those LEDs!

Love that keyboard and those pictures :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 09:39:55 »
I agree, that full LED look is sooooo nice. Thanks for another great build log :D

Offline joey

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 10:55:00 »
Everyone, send more boards in LastPilot's direction!
I want to see more build stories!

Offline Coconut

• otaku4lyfe
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:21:46 »
Deng
Nice photos Breh
Build my tx1800 for a build log  :-*
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:24:14 by Coconut »

"a whole coconut is a strong coconut" -paicrai

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:28:53 »
Excellent my man  :thumb:

Thanks Hubble! So uh, these build logs are totally great for marketing if you'd ever want to sell your own custom alu board right? lololol jk.

Show Image

Do I need to write a log on my feelings like last time?

No need <3 I know your feels. As one of my original senpai, I'm glad you can notice it.

Won't lie pics look great but I stayed for the story!  Great work

Hahahaha, thank you! Conclusion coming up soon.

It looks very nice. Great job with the build log too.

Hey ninjadoc! Thank you for reading! This board will be at keycon :]

Amazing board and great build log! I liked having the story to go with the pictures.  :)

Thank you byker, glad you enjoyed it!

I only view LastPilot's threads for their pictures. Read later after I've cleaned up. jkjk

LOLOLOL can't blame you, most of my GH experience is staring at photos. The photo game is real.

awesome build log lastpilot :thumb:

Thanks for stopping by HendyZone!

Fantastic board and build log. You really go the extra mile.

Welcome to GH vindaon! Good to know you enjoyed it. I am just one of many GHers that work hard on boards :]

Well done bro, you spoil yours more than I. Didn't know you got yours almost exactly 1 year after mine :p

Also is your plate the same colour as the case or a darker blue?

SIFFOOO! :] Oh yeah? Another coincidence lolol.

The plate is same blue as the case. I also noticed that it's aluminum and not steel. It's also fairly flexible - which kind of worried me a little. Still solid though.

Excellent reading, would you have a comparison shot of a stock led vs your "extra sanded" one?

Thanks azhdar! I have a few comparison shots in the log itself, but unfortunately no macro closeups. Just don't have a macro lens. In fact all of my GH pictures are taken with the same 50mm f1.7 lens lol.

Fantastic build log, lastpilot. Its a mashup of my two favorite things - stories and keyboards in suggestive poses. :thumb:

Aww yiss. Thanks cooldiscretion. Suggestive indeed lol - thats kinda what I was going for with the night silhouette shot XD

Fan-flippin-tastic. Pretty inspirational too :)

Thank you stoic-lemon! Yeah....I get kind of obsessive sometimes lol.

Amazing pictures and story. Glad it turned out the way you liked it. :)

Ahahaha, yes I'm glad too. Glad and relieved lolol.

Good work mate! love your super detailed logs!

Thanks feizor! Glad you appreciate it :]

feelin a lot of pressure for my pictures when my GON arrives....

Nice pictures and build log =)

:] if you wanna talk about keyboard photography, just add me on skype. I've learned a lot from just oogling over other geekhackers' pictures.

Wow, I enjoyed reading this so much. Love the new board. Looks like it was totally worth the effort.

I have some LED's that need sanding. Wanna help me out?

LOLOLOL Yeah man, thats exactly what I need right now - more long nights staying up and sanding LEDs until my fingers hurt lol. Thanks for reading!

I agree, that full LED look is sooooo nice. Thanks for another great build log :D

Thank you CPT!!! Yesssss LEDs everywhere!!!

I need some up close photos of those LEDs!

Love that keyboard and those pictures :D

Thanks ceflame! Sorry thats as close as I can get with my camera. Maybe I'll try my iphone camera? lolol

Everyone, send more boards in LastPilot's direction!
I want to see more build stories!

Ahahahaha, appreciate it. But yeah - I think my next build log may not be until the Orion V2 hits doorsteps. So maybe summer.  :3

Deng
Nice photos Breh
Build my tx1800 for a build log  :-*

Oki dokie, I can do that. X3
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 13:59:24 by Lastpilot »

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:32:21 »
Good stuff, man!

Can't wait to see more stuff from you!
null

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:33:35 »
Quick ?:  so would you buy different LED's next time to fit better?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:37:36 »
Good stuff, man!

Thanks Sygaldry! Yeah, like I said earlier, I think the orion v2 might be my next build. <3

I've already looked and these look like the smallest option out there right now. Maybe new LED shapes will come out later, but I'm partial to these sky blue and magenta colors so I would probably stick with these anyway.  :thumb:

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:44:23 »
Good stuff, man!

Thanks Sygaldry! Yeah, like I said earlier, I think the orion v2 might be my next build. <3

I've already looked and these look like the smallest option out there right now. Maybe new LED shapes will come out later, but I'm partial to these sky blue and magenta colors so I would probably stick with these anyway.  :thumb:
aren't 1.8mm leds even smaller?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:48:55 »
Show Image

Oh wow yeah, those do look smaller! I would just have to check if the circuit goes through that orb or not. Would just have to sand or clip the orbs then it would be ready to go I think.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 11:54:58 »
Show Image

Oh wow yeah, those do look smaller! I would just have to check if the circuit goes through that orb or not. Would just have to sand or clip the orbs then it would be ready to go I think.
This is how they site on the switch :

Thread : https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54702.0
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:10:55 »

Oh boy...

excellent read and stunning photos! Now I feel the urge to gain a lot of experience and re-build my Viper. You describe stuff that I have never heard of before, like bending the leaf when opening the switch. Just curious, what is the needle applier that you spoke of? Is it a normal needle or is it the thing you get when buying the lube kit that you put on the syringe? Because I found that to be really difficult to work with.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:33:56 »
Show Image

Oh boy...

excellent read and stunning photos! Now I feel the urge to gain a lot of experience and re-build my Viper. You describe stuff that I have never heard of before, like bending the leaf when opening the switch. Just curious, what is the needle applier that you spoke of? Is it a normal needle or is it the thing you get when buying the lube kit that you put on the syringe? Because I found that to be really difficult to work with.

Thank you.

Needles just what came with the kit for me. But out of 3 kits I've ordered, I've only gotten one set of needles, and then I had to specify that I needed them after that.

They require a steady hand, but I'm not sure that they were difficult to work with. What was the issue?

Bending the leaf happens when you are forcing the top of the switch off in an unnatural position. It usually happens when you are applying a lot of pulling force and then the upper housing lets go suddenly and touches the gold leaf on its way out.

Another thing you want to look out for are loose switch tops. If you are opening switch tops, the "legs" might be permanently bent and can affect how tightly the switch will close. A loose switch top will make more of a bottom out and topping up noise since its more susceptible to vibration. It will probably be negligible, but I look out for it because I'm crazy lol.

Offline 3Love

• Bumpino Supremo
  • I want to become a great collector. Greedy!!!
    • https://geekhack.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=uge81nbipqlh402drttlo4jdr0ordlo5&topic=63161.0
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:36:07 »
So long
I♥Keyboard  I♥Clack  I♥Brobot  I♥Hammer
                          I♥♥♥friends 
【WTB/WTTF】https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=63161.0

KBD Collection: 356CL, 356.2, 356DGE, Koala, 356MINI, 356N, 356N-MK2, 356PAD, 360C, 456GT, FMJ, LZ-MXSE, LZ-RE, KMAC 1.0, KPAD, Duck Orion, Duck Pad, Exo, TEX and etc.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:47:51 »
Show Image

Oh boy...

Thank you.

Needles just what came with the kit for me. But out of 3 kits I've ordered, I've only gotten one set of needles, and then I had to specify that I needed them after that.

They require a steady hand, but I'm not sure that they were difficult to work with. What was the issue?

Bending the leaf happens when you are forcing the top of the switch off in an unnatural position. It usually happens when you are applying a lot of pulling force and then the upper housing lets go suddenly and touches the gold leaf on its way out.

Another thing you want to look out for are loose switch tops. If you are opening switch tops, the "legs" might be permanently bent and can affect how tightly the switch will close. A loose switch top will make more of a bottom out and topping up noise since its more susceptible to vibration. It will probably be negligible, but I look out for it because I'm crazy lol.

Thanks! I am now confident that I didn't bend a leaf since I was very careful and managed to lift each top evenly. I didn't work much with the needle since I immedately felt that I will have problems with getting the dosis right, so I just went with the very fine brush :-[ Next time I will give it another chance and try to work with it for a little longer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:20:36 by Fnzzy »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:51:46 »
Thanks! I am not confident that I didn't bend a leaf since I was very careful and managed to lift each top evenly. I didn't work much with the needle since I immedately felt that I will have problems with getting the dosis right, so I just went with the very fine brush :-[ Next time I will give it another chance and try to work with it for a little longer.

Oh yeah, that's perfect then. Yeah maybe it's just me and I don't get along with switch tops XD.

Do what you are most comfortable with! Even though I hate using brushes, that doesn't mean they are bad. I'm just bad at using them lol.

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 23:58:24 »
>sees the word "LZ-S" while scrolling down
>sees the phrase build log
>sees the author is LastPilot
>is in for a treat

Again another fantastic board and a log to go behind it :thumb:

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 04:58:09 »
Great board, and excellent writeup. Thank you for the reminder to use the beast tool carefully to not messed up the connector leaf, and that abo tops should be carefully placed.

Just a question, how come you didn't consider using the cherry tops first, test the switches, then put on the abo tops once you've confirmed that you like the switches?

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: LZ-S Detailed Super-Long Build Log [typing video posted]
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 16:12:51 »

- New typing video! Yayyy.

Great board, and excellent writeup. Thank you for the reminder to use the beast tool carefully to not messed up the connector leaf, and that abo tops should be carefully placed.

Just a question, how come you didn't consider using the cherry tops first, test the switches, then put on the abo tops once you've confirmed that you like the switches?
I didn't want to risk breaking both switch tops - the cherry ones are definitely less pliable and require a lot more force to remove.  ;)

>sees the word "LZ-S" while scrolling down
>sees the phrase build log
>sees the author is LastPilot
>is in for a treat

Show Image

Again another fantastic board and a log to go behind it :thumb:

Aww thank you <3

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2015, 22:59:16 by Lastpilot »

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 18:16:30 »
Awesome post.

You seem like an awesome guy so I feel confident about putting forth these super annoying questions  :cool:

1. What's this business about using a needle dispenser to lube the switches?  I thought using a brush was the only way, and the needle dispenser was to make it possible to remove the lube from the syringe in small doses?

2. I use a wooden tooth pick to open the switches, I don't think it takes a long time and it's easy, and no risk of damaging the switches.

3. I thought the best way to lube springs was to use the gh spring lube, curious as to why a super pro guy like you uses victorinox, is it of no importance?

4.  I'm curious of whether you like topre or mx more, maybe you like mx more because it's more modable?

5. Why the leds with non led keycaps? Just for looks?

6.  I presume this is some imsto keyset?  And the shift keys are gmk?  What gb are those from don't remember seeing it.  keycap material difference on same board doesn't bother you? is pbt your favorite keycap material?

7. Do you apply moderately or a lot of lube?  Do you apply lube on the bottom of the stem and the into hole on the lower housing?  Do double lube, that is on the rails on the bottom lower housing AND on the sides of the stem? 

8. Why the extensive switch testing, does it really make a difference?  Are switch defects common?
Leopold FC900 w/ 67g Purple Zealios - Silver Duck Octagon w/ 62 Purple Zealios

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 19:17:45 »
Awesome post.

You seem like an awesome guy so I feel confident about putting forth these super annoying questions  :cool:

1. What's this business about using a needle dispenser to lube the switches?  I thought using a brush was the only way, and the needle dispenser was to make it possible to remove the lube from the syringe in small doses?

2. I use a wooden tooth pick to open the switches, I don't think it takes a long time and it's easy, and no risk of damaging the switches.

3. I thought the best way to lube springs was to use the gh spring lube, curious as to why a super pro guy like you uses victorinox, is it of no importance?

4.  I'm curious of whether you like topre or mx more, maybe you like mx more because it's more modable?

5. Why the leds with non led keycaps? Just for looks?

6.  I presume this is some imsto keyset?  And the shift keys are gmk?  What gb are those from don't remember seeing it.  keycap material difference on same board doesn't bother you? is pbt your favorite keycap material?

7. Do you apply moderately or a lot of lube?  Do you apply lube on the bottom of the stem and the into hole on the lower housing?  Do double lube, that is on the rails on the bottom lower housing AND on the sides of the stem? 

8. Why the extensive switch testing, does it really make a difference?  Are switch defects common?

1. Well, you can call me unorthodox, but I love the accuracy that the needle point gives me. The needle is flexible so I end up "brushing" lube with the end to even it out if I need to.

2. Definitely interested in this. There's always a better way to do something.

3. Victorinox knife oil was a known method before spring lube was introduced. I've just stuck with it because I still have it. I've also heard from other users that the difference is hardly perceivable.

4. I ask myself this every now and then. I love both switch types very much; it really just depends what mood I'm in. I keep my 55g topre board at work where I can feel and hear the weight of my words. :] Having the cherry boards at home definitely matches the "for fun" environment more.

5. Yes, I admire the look of it. I already use a lot of bias light with my desk and have 3 monitors, so having LED's on my board doesn't cause any fatigue at night. *^* pretty lightssss
Inspired by http://duck0113.tistory.com/ among others.

6.  Alphas, numrow, some modifier keys - a Triumph Adler set from two discontinued electric typewriters - Satellite 3 (EU) and Satellite 4 (NA).
Other mods - GMK: Mixed olivetti and ek blue shifts.

Triumph Adler has a unique PBT keycap. The surface of the Triumph Adler set is extremely smooth - not coarse as most PBT sets are - so they complement the GMK set very nicely.

7. I apply generously; its just my personal preference after some experimentation. I don't believe there is a "right or wrong" way to lube, it's just making something that suits your own tastes. I used to lube the bottom of stems, but not anymore as it sometimes resulted in mushy or noisy switches and I found out that I was just fine with skipping that. On the other hand, I actually "double lube" when it comes to switch tops at the contact points when the stem "tops out" - to try and muffle some of the noise.

8. My "success rate" with switches is roughly 90%.  Throughout most of the process the gold leaf is exposed - there are many opportunities from human error when you are replacing the spring, top housing and inserting SIP sockets, and it increases exponentially if you overwork yourself.  The main problem is touching the gold leaf - the critical part of the switch which determines both actuation and tactility. I'd probably minimize risks if I had a larger workshop space to place open housings while I work on other components.

You can develop habits while you are getting in the grove of lubing 85+ switches. You might speed up or slow down sometimes, just as you may apply more or less lube sometimes. Having a consistent set of switches is only as consistent as the person making them. In my case, I need to run these tests to make up for my errors which can come from fatigue, boredom, lack of eating, etc.

Hope that helps!

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 20:28:34 »
Im not sure what lubing points you are talking about relating to the switch top, didn't know anyone lubed anything on the switch tops?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 20:31:44 »
Im not sure what lubing points you are talking about relating to the switch top, didn't know anyone lubed anything on the switch tops?

Where the top of the rails meet the top - there are two contact points that keep the stem from popping out of the switch.

Offline asgeirtj

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 20:40:49 »
Ah ok, don't think I've seen any lubing tutorial mention that.  I'll check it out for my next mod, thanks.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 14 March 2015, 20:57:00 »
Ah ok, don't think I've seen any lubing tutorial mention that.  I'll check it out for my next mod, thanks.
Yeah, it was really more of an improvisation than a known method and it was my first time doing it, but I may do it from now on. The Abostudio tops are a thinner material, so they make a different sound than stock cherry tops on topping out. Jarring topouts only happen when you type fast or "jab" keys to avoid inhibiting the speed and force that the spring is pushing up with . It's apparent with the LZ housing because the metal walls and plate basically "point" the sound at you.

I would say its only a 20-25% difference in volume, but it was noticeable enough for me to adopt the method for this instance.

With this in mind, I'll be using Gateron switch tops for my next build so I may not even have to do this again. ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 08:31:51 »
I'm really digging that typing video. Sounds like I'm typing on the boards :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 09:01:39 »
Bah, incomplete board. Doesn't yet have Matt3o's Skull Squadron SA profile caps on (yeah, yeah, I know GUNDAM, not Robotech, but still...) ;)

Seriously, though... Wow! Awesome board, awesome build. Thank you for sharing it with us :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 10:25:00 »
I'm really digging that typing video. Sounds like I'm typing on the boards :)
<3 Thanks CPT! Recording sound is part of my day job so I would be deeply ashamed if I didn't get a good audio result.  :thumb:

Bah, incomplete board. Doesn't yet have Matt3o's Skull Squadron SA profile caps on (yeah, yeah, I know GUNDAM, not Robotech, but still...) ;)

Seriously, though... Wow! Awesome board, awesome build. Thank you for sharing it with us :D
Dude, WHY NOT BOTH. Macross and Gundam are both reallllyyy good. I've posted models of both in some of my other pictures :]

Offline intelli78

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 00:56:20 »
Are those caps from a TA typewriter?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 09:31:28 »
Yes you are correct :]

Offline intelli78

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 30 March 2015, 15:12:28 »
Yes you are correct :]
Very nice, do you know the model number?
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.