Author Topic: WHAT IS THIS BULL****  (Read 28996 times)

Offline Glenmael

Re: WHAT IS THIS BULL****
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 00:22:41 »
Gotta stay afloat somehow!

~use Tampermonkey if you really want~

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 00:39:01 »
Here is a concept for the new and improved face of Geekhack!
Show Image

I lol'd

Offline calavera

« Reply #52 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 01:03:15 »
I thought it was some kind of special group buy or something and clicked only to be disappointed.

Offline fknraiden

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 01:13:20 »
Can we atleast move it somewhere else? more specifically away from the Spy.

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 02:35:17 »

I like it where it is - I'd rather hit that than logout when my fat thumbs miss on mobile :))
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 02:37:38 »

I like it where it is - I'd rather hit that than logout when my fat thumbs miss on mobile :))

No.
I'd rather log out than hit that.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 02:47:05 »
Looks good to me. :D

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 02:47:57 »
ITT: 1337 js/css wizards

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 03:41:37 »
DEELS ERMAGHERD TAKE ME TO THEM
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:01:53 »
RIP I'm already tired of fat fingering trying to spy
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:13:23 »
when i woke up this morning, i was like omg omg omg new button, then i clicked it....

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:40:09 »
How about get rid of the ****ing >>>>>>>>><<<<<< its not going to make me click it anymore than usual

Just say GH Store (but its not really) or something like that, not ****ing DEALS. it looks fake as ****, in fact when clicked upon that place looks sketchy

New idea: Reword to Ad Deals and place it right next to IRC or Donate-- ya know the other links people don't use either ayylmao

Offline Belfong

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:50:25 »
I'm with bee on this. That >>> <<<< is distracting and just screams click me!

Oh, maybe that's the whole point.

Offline joey

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:51:07 »
Pay 5$ to have it removed? :thumb:

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:54:33 »
I'm with bee on this. That >>> <<<< is distracting and just screams click me!

Oh, maybe that's the whole point.

that's exactly why ><  are there, except in this case its having the opposite effect. It literally looks like an AD link, why the **** would anyone click it?

but we are stupid af so who cares what the peasants think

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 06:55:52 »
Pay 5$ to have it removed? :thumb:

Give me your 5$ and then ignore it.   :))

(Only because the AUD has turned to ****)
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:11:36 »
Imagine if you had sat down at some point and actually had proper ways people can support this forum, instead of telling people to **** off for years and then rushing to put together this half arsed garbage with worthless subscriptions no one wants?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:15:54 »
I don't know why everyone is complaining about this its been well documented that GH requires money to run, this is a way for them to get that money.

Although I did legitimately have to ask someone if it wasn't just me seeing the link as I thought it was malware or some stuff
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline yomammary

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:27:07 »
If they asked me for money to keep GH going I would gladly help out.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:36:42 »
I don't know why everyone is complaining about this its been well documented that GH requires money to run, this is a way for them to get that money.

Although I did legitimately have to ask someone if it wasn't just me seeing the link as I thought it was malware or some stuff

lmao no one is saying GH needing money is a bad thing. the way it's being done is pretty atrocious and frankly, I think it ruins that navigational bar because its hideous and >>STUPID<<.

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:37:48 »

lmao no one is saying GH needing money is a bad thing. the way it's being done is pretty atrocious and frankly, I think it ruins that navigational bar because its hideous and >>STUPID<<.
Better than banner ads though

My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:42:55 »

I can at least block those.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 08:40:20 »

I can at least block those.
Another forum I frequent is asking the members not to block ads because they are not paid when ads are not served. It'd be back to square one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 09:21:56 »
As someone who has been paying monthly since the server moved, I'm disappointed. Both in who is or isn't donating and this sudden change.

I would much rather see an Amazon sponsorship like appleonama suggested. And it would be great to see more advertising that geekhack needs money to keep going. Deskthority had a good approach with the club, I like the idea of paid vendor forums, and the sponsored buying stuff isn't bad. It's the execution in this case. I don't like this deals tab because it seems really chincy and weak. The stuff being sold in there seems analogous to snake oil vendors. Plus the huge >><<< is annoying.

Doing a driveby and just throwing the tab in really sucks because we don't have any say in this community we're in and some of us have been paying. Plus I've heard that not all the stuff that was sold in the previous fund drive thread were actually sent out. It's hard to get people to give money if you promised to give them stickers which never showed up.

Offline need

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 09:31:33 »
This is not gonna work, after a while no one will ever click on it.
You'll need pop up ads at some point, which I prefer.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 09:43:38 »
As someone who has been paying monthly since the server moved, I'm disappointed. Both in who is or isn't donating and this sudden change.

I would much rather see an Amazon sponsorship like appleonama suggested. And it would be great to see more advertising that geekhack needs money to keep going. Deskthority had a good approach with the club, I like the idea of paid vendor forums, and the sponsored buying stuff isn't bad. It's the execution in this case. I don't like this deals tab because it seems really chincy and weak. The stuff being sold in there seems analogous to snake oil vendors. Plus the huge >><<< is annoying.

Doing a driveby and just throwing the tab in really sucks because we don't have any say in this community we're in and some of us have been paying. Plus I've heard that not all the stuff that was sold in the previous fund drive thread were actually sent out. It's hard to get people to give money if you promised to give them stickers which never showed up.

+1 to all of this.  I was well aware that funding was an issue, as most people stopped donating soon after the last fundraising push, but this button is news to me.  There must be a better/cleaner way.  And as annoying as it is, maybe we just need to have the fund requirements in everyone's face (notices from geekhack, not ads) to prompt people to pay.  Out of site out of mind, I'm sure everyone simply forgot about it.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 09:54:54 »

If it works the way i think it works, I would purchase all my amazon purchases through a geekhack link. even if thats in addition to the >>>Deals<<<

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:14:12 »
Same, I'd totally do the Amazon referral thing if it was available.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:21:15 »
As much as I respect iMav as the master of this domain, I personally think he made an error in judgement when implementing this. There are much more effective ways of asking for funding. This is a forum, he could have at least asked for public opinion first and then built a solution based on suggestions.

You're never going to please everyone, but at least try to please the majority.

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:22:53 »
rip. Time to make my own geekhack clone

It's been tried numerous times.  Knock yourself out.

Please use the "Donate" link to support us financially!

This is not gonna work, after a while no one will ever click on it.
You'll need pop up ads at some point, which I prefer.

There is a plan to add some ads to the footer of the site.  However, I have cringed at every iteration so far...so it is on hold.

I would much rather see an Amazon sponsorship like appleonama suggested. 
If it works the way i think it works, I would purchase all my amazon purchases through a geekhack link. even if thats in addition to the >>>Deals<<<

We actually DO currently participate in an affiliate program.  If you click an Amazon link (or eBay, or many others) from GH, we will get some kick back if you make a purchase.

Geekhack is halfway through its NINETH year of operation.  We have gone through a lot of crap to stay around.  While I may not be as involved in the day-to-day community as I once was, I am just as intimately involved in the backend as I always way (and my wallet funds the majority of the infrastructure to this day).  I very much appreciate the monthly donations that dedicated GHers contribute.  I also appreciate those that contribute a percentage of group buy sales (it's the exception, not the rule...but I am always very happy to see when folks realize that GH does require funding.)

Again, you have a problem, you can talk with me directly. 

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:23:12 »
Same, I'd totally do the Amazon referral thing if it was available.

I order stuff from Amazon for the office I work at pretty frequently, I would definitely run it through GH if possible.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:25:09 »

lolbigpockhere lets do a jig

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:30:43 »
So my understanding is that if I click a link that user Waateva posts linking to amazon, purchase an item, geekhack gets kickback.

Is this the case?

Is it possible to have a simple Amazon link on the Geekhack landing page, and that can be my portal to amazon.

I dont always want to buy the **** you bubs are posting. But I certainly buy a bunch of crap.

Also, can this thread be renamed to "what is this bologna"?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:32:26 by Moistgun »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:54:36 »
Give me a paid sub forum at the least.
It would be like my quiet place where people don't want to be banned and lose money.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:27:18 »

+1 to all of this.  I was well aware that funding was an issue, as most people stopped donating soon after the last fundraising push, but this button is news to me.  There must be a better/cleaner way.  And as annoying as it is, maybe we just need to have the fund requirements in everyone's face (notices from geekhack, not ads) to prompt people to pay.  Out of site out of mind, I'm sure everyone simply forgot about it.

Absolutely agree with CPT. For starters, charging vendors monthly and having a paid club like DT both sound like fine ideas. Still I'm not even sure how the paid forum would work here, the main part of the DT club is that you also have voting rights in forum direction, which i don't see happening here. But I do agree that people donating monthly should see some form of return from it, which also encourages them to keep on donating each month.

I mean, the whole >>DEALS<< tab and everything inside of it, on a site full of computer nerds, is rather...silly. I can't possibly imagine that being much of a source of income at all.

And yeah, most of us have no idea how much it cost a month. If we all knew and it was out in the open that would definitely encourage people to give more i think.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:31:05 »
And yeah, most of us have no idea how much it cost a month. If we all knew and it was out in the open that would definitely encourage people to give more i think.

^^ This. I totally get some things need to be kept private but a little transparency goes a long way.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:39:08 »
A GeekHack store could also be started with official GH merch, also like DT has.

GH branded Mugs, and mouse pads, and shirts could be sold....

<- My Collection (so far)

Offline 1swt2gs

• DOGE
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:41:01 »
It stood out like a sore thumb
Such artisan, many caps, very keyboard.

Always searching for Bro caps! 

1swt2gs classifieds!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:52:59 »

This is what iMav posted about this before. I believe there's some costs missing though.

Offline jaffers

« Reply #89 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:55:59 »
I'm going to kil myself

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:57:58 »
I'm going to kil myself

DONT I NEED YOU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 11:58:57 »

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:00:48 »
Jaffers is drunk and raging on the geekhack slack  :(

someone give the guy a hug.
 :D

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:02:44 »
I see the Amazon referral thing being brought up. Just curious what's the number for doing the affiliate program through Amazon?

Let's say someone used the referral and bought a keyboard for $129.00.

How much of that goes back into GH? Anyone have a link to the actual formula/numbers?

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:06:44 »
iMav where is the transparency?

How much money do you need to run this thing?

Pretty sure if you need at least $5 from every dedicated member you could run this web**** without the half assed advertisement. Just go full out header ad or don't do **** at all.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #95 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:10:35 »

Please use the "Donate" link to support us financially!
Done!
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:18:08 »
A GeekHack store could also be started with official GH merch, also like DT has.

GH branded Mugs, and mouse pads, and shirts could be sold....
Show Image

this works. stop making ctrl alt make those stickers or imav just give them domain privileges

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:21:16 »
I mean, the whole >>DEALS<< tab and everything inside of it, on a site full of computer nerds, is rather...silly. I can't possibly imagine that being much of a source of income at all.

As an FYI, the link has been active for only a few hours...and has already netted over $20.  You underestimate the breath of folks that visit GH on a regular basis. 

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 12:58:28 »
I think there are far more things you could do that shows you care about the community, rather than a bunch of stuff people could most likely care less about. These aren't incredible 'deals', really.

Showing you care about (and are in touch with) the community means doing something that speaks to their interests more, such as;

1. Running 'GEEK HA CK' SP key packs again
2. Geekhack-related/themed stuff (keyboard sleeves, wrist rests, keycap pullers, etc)
3. Put together a keyboard + gh themed extras, on a monthly basis

I am just throwing a few ideas out there - but the bottom line is, this 'deals' clickbait is a rather thoughtless way of asking for money from the community. If you know this community, you know they
keep money for things that pertain to their hobby - keycap sets, keyboards, etc.

And in all honesty, the community should be run by people who are in-touch with and passionate about the community they are a part of.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 13:05:47 »
Perhaps people that donate can have an option for it not to show.  Though it does seem fairly unobtrusive. 

And I do have to say that the donating bit is pretty hidden.  I'd donate- and see it as a responsibility to help out the sites that you visit regularly, and rather that it's an ask rather than a requirement.  But when you don't really advertise it anywhere, it's difficult at the least to even know how to contribute.

As to the other ideas, it would seem to take the onus off of a few people if everyone would contribute to making them happen.  Unlike a button at the top, any other ideas take time and effort, and putting that on few people seems to be an imposition, no matter how much they might be passionate about the community.

I've seen it recently with MrBishop and Evangs- as far as organizing a build and GB or auction to benefit the community.  You can't just say words or toss around ideas- you have to put action to them, IMO, and be the change that you want to see.