Author Topic: Getting used to the Kinesis Advantage?  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Springfox

• Springfox Software and Design
Getting used to the Kinesis Advantage?
« on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 09:52:24 »
I've recently bought a Kinesis Advantage as i've been experiencing a little bit of wrist ache and wanted to nip in in the bud early. I've used mechanical now for as long as I can remember but am finding that I am just not getting used to the Kinesis.

I type around 130wpm on my Filco, but after five days I can still only type ~40 on the kinesis. What am I doing wrong? I am constantly pressing the wrong keys and feel like I'm just not doing it right, could it be that I'm just not going to get used to it?

I am a programmer so I type a lot and the speed that I can get my ideas down is quite important.

Any advice?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout

Offline cruzin

Re: Getting used to the Kinesis Advantage?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 11:52:38 »
I went through the same thing a while back. Just keep at it, constantly practice with different typing tutorial sites/apps. You'll eventually get used to it.

davkol already linked to the thread I started back then. There's good advice in it.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 12:21:21 »
I don't think it's any different/more unusual than the next thing. Practice. I used a typing trainer just to get familiar with Kinesis Advantage and Colemak at the same time (several times a day for several weeks, but chose to go organic once the motions were comfortable and layout was learned.

The only other consideration is comfort, pain, ergo concerns. I'm banking that 95% of people that say Kinesis Advantage is causing pain are in fact not positioning correctly.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:45:53 »
Just keep going, you'll get there.  I would have given up programming if it wasn't for one of those boards.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0