Author Topic: [IC] GMK Space Cadet, launches August 3rd 2018 on Massdrop  (Read 181120 times)

Offline Giorgio

Re: [IC] GMK Space Cadet
« Reply #550 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:21:47 »
I can't even be bothered to type how that doesn't even make sense.

And no, despite the fact that yes most people wouldn't care about the arrows, there are certainly more people that want correct APL legends than there are fans of VIM.

Whoa there, there are lots of vim users out there.  But actual vim users don't need special keycaps to know where the cursor keys are...

(That aside I still don't know why people call them vim keycaps, it should really be vi keycaps.  There is nothing vim-specific about it, and if anything vim users are more likely to be using standard arrow keys.  Old versions of vi didn't even support arrow keys and you had to hjkl.  Yet we call them vim keys for some reason?  It's weird...)

I don't need no printed arrows, it's simply that you with this set, you know that you have the wrong arrows printed in your keycaps. That's the autistically annoying pressing fact.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #551 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:26:43 »
VIM is cool I guess, but I definitely am not buying [what is supposed to be] a historical reproduction with VIM keys. Also shouldn't we call Red Cadet, Space Comrade?

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #552 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:28:11 »

And no, despite the fact that yes most people wouldn't care about the arrows, there are certainly more people that want correct APL legends than there are fans of VIM.

Whoa there, there are lots of vim users out there.  But actual vim users don't need special keycaps to know where the cursor keys are...

(That aside I still don't know why people call them vim keycaps, it should really be vi keycaps.  There is nothing vim-specific about it, and if anything vim users are more likely to be using standard arrow keys.  Old versions of vi didn't even support arrow keys and you had to hjkl.  Yet we call them vim keys for some reason?  It's weird...)

I don't need no printed arrows, it's simply that you with this set, you know that you have the wrong arrows printed in your keycaps. That's the autistically annoying pressing fact.

It's only wrong if it is supposed to be VI(M)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #553 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:29:52 »
Although I'm a newish Vim user, I don't need printed keys to show me where the arrow binds are. If anything, I could use a whole keyset to show me where the other binds are! The more I use Vim, the more I realize how the keys are just for aesthetic purposes; all you need is to know where J is, and that's provided by the homing key.

VIM is cool I guess, but I definitely am not buying [what is supposed to be] a historical reproduction with VIM keys. Also shouldn't we call Red Cadet, Space Comrade?

Show Image

No, it should be Space Kadet!

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #554 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 10:40:27 »
I vote for Space Vimmer

Offline Kevadu

« Reply #555 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:01:18 »

I could be wrong, but the guy who originally started producing the Vim caps calls them that: https://vimcaps.com/.
Ever since, they've been called Vim key/caps.

Also, why would Vim users use standard arrow keys? I thought Vim was just Vi improved--no more, no less.

You certainly can still use hjkl in vim, but it's not always optimal.  The big problem should be obvious: if you're in input mode hitting hjkl will type 'hjkl'.  Meaning that traditionally you have to constantly switch modes even to just move the cursor around and edit things.  With vim you have full arrow key support so you can move the cursor around without leaving input mode.  Again it's not like you can't use hjkl but I associate that more with vi than vim.  Arrow keys are handy...

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #556 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:07:09 »
I've never paid much attention to vim because I prefer emacs/nano/ped, but I thought the whole point of vi/m was to reduce the number of keystrokes and movement of your hands?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #557 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:23:40 »
I've never paid much attention to vim because I prefer emacs/nano/ped, but I thought the whole point of vi/m was to reduce the number of keystrokes and movement of your hands?

Just download and use Spacemacs and use Evil mode (or use Evil mode in Emacs) and you'll find out!

Offline zslane

« Reply #558 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 11:56:42 »
If I'm not mistaken, Vimkey support is typically added as a separate kit (if it is added to a set at all), right? The same could be done for GMK Space Cadet, though I doubt it would hit MOQ. In any event, it makes zero sense to me to destroy the canonical Space Cadet legend arrangement in the base kit just to satisfy a handful of vi users.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #559 on: Mon, 11 June 2018, 12:41:36 »
Adding VIM to this set is comical, to put it mildly. If it's a separate kit obviously I have nothing against its addition but in the base kit it's not happening.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #560 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 09:46:26 »
I now have the perfect board to put this on, hopefully it is released soon!  :D

Offline sickbabies

« Reply #561 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 16:21:46 »
This will definitely be my first GMK set. Plan on getting the TMO50 (in IC phase now) and slapping these on that bad boy

Thank you Oblotzky

Offline Overchecken8

« Reply #562 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 19:19:44 »
Been a while since a GMK set caught my eye. Hopefully this drops soonish so I can grab a set.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Offline Sshimosawa

« Reply #563 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 11:12:06 »
I just made my GF and 2 others sign up for MD just to vote on this. Encouraging everyone to do the same. All the chatter does nothing if it can't get up-and-mounted. Lets do this!

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #564 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 09:48:17 »
I just made my GF and 2 others sign up for MD just to vote on this. Encouraging everyone to do the same. All the chatter does nothing if it can't get up-and-mounted. Lets do this!

Lol that doesn't change anything. This will get dropped regardless as Oblotzky has connections with Massdrop all that matters is where they decide it falls in their schedule.
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline yap68

« Reply #565 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 22:45:49 »
Connections... :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 June 2018, 04:06:57 by yap68 »

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #566 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 06:19:13 »
Having a poll that is closing in on 2000 votes certainly helps the case though! It still takes a bit of convincing Yanbo to run a set because he has to make investors happy and such. It is only at this point that it doesn't really matter anymore since it's scheduled to drop  :rolleyes:

Offline avid

« Reply #567 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:45:25 »
Is this the next set that's dropping after canvas or will there be another GMK set inbetween? Since serika, we've had pulse and canvas inbetween so should be a GMK set next.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #568 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 10:48:49 »
Is this the next set that's dropping after canvas or will there be another GMK set inbetween? Since serika, we've had pulse and canvas inbetween so should be a GMK set next.

SA Green Screen is launching in July, but according to the current schedule, Space Cadet will be the next in line for GMK sets.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #569 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 12:30:11 »
Can’t wait! I know some people hate buys that run on MD but on the bright side, it’ll reach more people and drive the price down
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #570 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 13:13:02 »

SA Green Screen is launching in July, but according to the current schedule, Space Cadet will be the next in line for GMK sets.

nice

i might have money for it then

red cadet pls pls pls
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #571 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 14:54:33 »

Interesting, since SA Green Screen's poll only has 1315 votes at the moment.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #572 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 15:14:14 »

MD's keyset queue doesn't solely rely on vote counts. For once, Green Screen was never really advertised outside of GeekHack, so having gotten to 1300 by just GH and the poll existing is impressive already, but primarily MD rotates through the profiles. You rarely see a back to back GMK drop for example. With GMK Serika having closed last month, it makes more sense to have XDA now and then some SA before returning to GMK.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #573 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 15:35:27 »

MD's keyset queue doesn't solely rely on vote counts. For once, Green Screen was never really advertised outside of GeekHack, so having gotten to 1300 by just GH and the poll existing is impressive already, but primarily MD rotates through the profiles. You rarely see a back to back GMK drop for example. With GMK Serika having closed last month, it makes more sense to have XDA now and then some SA before returning to GMK.

++

it's always more than numbers
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #574 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 05:31:09 »

Fixed APL legend of X key, I mistakenly rotated it instead of mirroring.

Sent color samples to GMK today, we'll be starting the matching process ASAP to avoid delays as much as possible.

Colors are:
Blue - Matched to R6 (SP-BFP)
Grey - Matched to R6, even though R6 used SP-GD just like SA Oblivion, which I had matched for the GMK version, the resin batch used for R6 is slightly colder which I would like to keep to better pair with the blue mods
Black Legends - GMK-NN from standard colors
Cream Legends - Either just cutting open a R6 grabbag key to match (again, old SP-WV is different to current SP-WV, so ordering a colorchip from SP is possibly useless) or a blend of GMK-CP (standard color) and GMK-WS4 (one of the cream colors created for GMK Camping) since CP by itself is a nice off-white, but missing a touch of warmth.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 June 2018, 05:36:09 by Oblotzky »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #575 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 10:54:31 »
good update

Offline smittysteve

• Tea > Coffee. Clack > Thwock.
« Reply #576 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 11:22:13 »

Enjoyed this in Belgium in honor of one fine GB starting soon!

Offline packman86

• Morning Coffee
« Reply #577 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 20:18:01 »
Show Image

Sent color samples to GMK today, we'll be starting the matching process ASAP to avoid delays as much as possible.

Colors are:
Grey - Matched to R6, even though R6 used SP-GD just like SA Oblivion, which I had matched for the GMK version, the resin batch used for R6 is slightly colder which I would like to keep to better pair with the blue mods
Cream Legends - Either just cutting open a R6 grabbag key to match (again, old SP-WV is different to current SP-WV, so ordering a colorchip from SP is possibly useless) or a blend of GMK-CP (standard color) and GMK-WS4 (one of the cream colors created for GMK Camping) since CP by itself is a nice off-white, but missing a touch of warmth.

Awesome! I can't wait to get in on this!
Keyboard Collection:

More

TGR Jane V2 | TGR Jane V2 CE | TGR Alice | TGR Dolice | TGR 910 | TGR x Singa UNIKORN 60 | Matrix 8XV 2.0 Korea Version | Matrix 8XV 2.0add | LZ CLS s h x | Duck Jetfire | TX-CP | QXP | Noxary X65 | RAMA M60-A | Model F62 "Kishsaver"

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #578 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 23:06:36 »
Show Image

Colors are:

Might as well go the extra step and color match the white to the R6 white.... if you're willing to sacrifice a cap that is :p. I'm super excited to see this set come to fruition!

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #579 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 23:29:15 »
But what about red cadet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #580 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 09:23:44 »
But what about red cadet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

im optimistic it'll run, he knows people want it

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #581 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:49:14 »
With the legends going a custom color, do you think the color would be close enough to CP to mix with oblivion mods?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #582 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 18:51:46 »
With the legends going a custom color, do you think the color would be close enough to CP to mix with oblivion mods?

TBD. Oblivion Mod legends are L9 btw, CP was only for the white alphas.

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #583 on: Tue, 03 July 2018, 19:15:57 »

TBD. Oblivion Mod legends are L9 btw, CP was only for the white alphas.

Gotcha, I was hoping on pairing Cadet alphas and Oblivion mono mods. Hope it won't look too off if another white is chosen.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #584 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 17:04:05 »
Maybe asked already, but would it be possible to buy -just- the grey alpha’s? :P kinda would like to pair those with Honeywell mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Canceaux

« Reply #585 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 18:37:26 »
Solution: Buy the blue alphas in addition to the base and use them. Now you have spare grey alphas and a whole board’s worth of blue!
Leopold FC750R, Cherry MX Blues

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #586 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 03:38:55 »
Maybe asked already, but would it be possible to buy -just- the grey alpha’s? :P kinda would like to pair those with Honeywell mods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't be I'm afraid.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #587 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 07:03:04 »
Is profile for this / second round fixed at 1-1-2-3-4-4 or 0-1-2-3-4-5 might be a possibility?

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #588 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 07:45:33 »
Is profile for this / second round fixed at 1-1-2-3-4-4 or 0-1-2-3-4-5 might be a possibility?

This set will definitely remain 112344. Row 5 is missing a few key sizes necessary to make it work with modern base kits. This is additional cost the GB must carry, and we already have the Cadet Alphas that require new plates at 150eur each, meaning we are looking at 10-20$ above the regular base kit price as it is. Plus a few more 1u keys would need to be added to the base kit for proper R0/R1 coverage (see proposed Carbon R2 base kit). In addition, R0 and R5 would **** with the Symbols kit as well, I would need to duplicate every R1 into R0 so that both big layouts and small layouts can enjoy those, and also add some more at the bottom to make it work nicely. The Symbols kit has 10 new legends (1500eur in tooling), so adding another 10+ keys to it will make the price uncomfortable as well.

Apart from cost, the time would also probably not be enough. Having the new R5 molds made takes much longer than making new legend plates. I estimate that GMK Carbon will launch 2-3 months after GMK Space Cadet, so t0m has a lot more time available to get things prepared.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #589 on: Sat, 07 July 2018, 08:42:31 »
I hope that people really enjoy R0/5, so that MOQ on hitting a fix kit for this would be possible ;)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #590 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 04:09:59 »
I hope that people really enjoy R0/5, so that MOQ on hitting a fix kit for this would be possible ;)

Agreed. This would be sublime, and the vintage nature of this set would make it a perfect candidate.

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #591 on: Mon, 09 July 2018, 10:08:41 »
Excited to put this on my tokyo 60

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #592 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 23:05:30 »
Add me to the "Definitely Want" list.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #593 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 23:22:15 »
R5 is love.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #594 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 01:55:53 »
R5 is love.

In a world where most of the users are flipping the spacebars, I don't understand what can you find in a profile that's simply and clearly trying to hurt you.

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #595 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:03:20 »
R5 is love.

In a world where most of the users are flipping the spacebars, I don't understand what can you find in a profile that's simply and clearly trying to hurt you.

Huh? I think you are just reiterating what Romevi said in a lovingly, yet obnoxious way... but not sure

Edit: (Didn't mean to come off as salty as my re-reading of this seemed, just srsly a bit confused. <2)
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:07:23 by Keebmeupscotty »

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #596 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:05:32 »

R5 is fine, even preferrable, if you type ergonomic-style and not like chyrosan22.  ;)

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #597 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 02:36:16 »
Color matching has begun!

Kit updates should also roll out very soon with a formal announcement and stuffs

Offline mdlt97

• This **** is still better than Keebtalk
« Reply #598 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 03:08:15 »
i wonder when this set would even ship

cause it wont be till mid to end of 2019 realistically, and with people like cant wait to put this on my board like how long are you fine waiting lol
TX60 | Duck TC-V3 | Duck Eagle V2 1/1 Bottom | Zephyr r2 | Duck Sidewinder | Mech27v2 | TX75 | LZ CLS | Duck Viper v2 | Orion v3 | HHKB pro 1 | TGR 910 | Omega60

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #599 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 03:18:09 »
cause it wont be till mid to end of 2019 realistically

This is a GMK set, not SP. GMK lead times are about 16 weeks consistently for years now. I would expect this to ship within 5 months of the drop closing. Laser took so long because the alphas color was hard to finalize. But with Space Cadet, it has rather easy colors that I already sent in as actual plastic samples which makes matching much much easier. We might even see final samples while the drop is still live.