Author Topic: Do you think the 3/4" spacing between keys is optimum?  (Read 42115 times)

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: Do you think the 3/4" spacing between keys is optimum?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 08:14:20 »
Thanks for the pictures. They support my assumption that they would have to lay above the switches.

Offline OverKill

Re: Do you think the 3/4" spacing between keys is optimum?
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 16 June 2015, 15:42:09 »
I used a 6" mill  vice and gang milled the bottoms and sides from a 1/2" x 0.72 x 6" piece of aluminum. That allowed me to do all but the top side in one large piece. I flipped the stock over and Tilted the head to make my bevels with it still in one unit. I made a deeper cut between caps to separate them and then angled the individual caps for the concave top cut. I angled the head to about 12 degrees and used a 3/4 end mill to cut the profile.

The last milling step was the trickiest because the vise had only the thin cap walls to grip and I did distort one cap slightly by crushing it in the vise.

I finished up with some sanding and sandblasting to even out the finish. I was hoping for a more textured finish but at least it's matte and fairly consistent.

Use a torque wrench to close the vise next time ;) identical results, every time!