Author Topic: Kinesis Contoured Try & Forward  (Read 44564 times)

Offline __red__

Re: Kinesis Contoured Try & Forward
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 07 October 2012, 08:49:35 »
What city it's he in?  Maybe there's a geekhacker close enough to help him ship it in case he's fallen on hard times or something.

Offline StaCT13

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 17:48:06 »
At this point, I'm really hoping this thing isn't dead. But, with the month-long gaps between posts, I honestly have no clue.

Don't mean to be a downer, just trying to get this thing rolling again. I'm still really interested in trying this thing out!

ErgoDox Classic Aluminium (MX Reds) | Leopold TKL Otaku (MX Browns) | Rosewill RK-9000 (MX Blues) | Dell AT101W (Alps Black)

Happily typing in Dvorak

Offline sordna

« Reply #152 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 22:57:21 »
If you can get 500_pts to respond, please be my guest. This would be still going strong, but unfortunately he disappeared with my keyboard.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #153 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 08:44:52 »
This sucks, sorry to hear about it. Did you ever get your keyboard back or hear from the guy?

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #154 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 08:49:51 »
Hmm. He was last active on the 9th November.
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #155 on: Sun, 18 November 2012, 18:26:49 »
I would have so signed up for this, but i would have passed it on at  the end of my turn ... years ago this was done with blank hhkb keysets and all manner if other things.

Offline sordna

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:18:17 »
I've PM'd Slueth, Daniel Beaver (they haven't responded in a few days) and Quarzac asking for their address, which I'll be emailing to 500_pts (we've exchanged some emails, he still has the keyboard).
Whoever wants the keyboard next, better respond to my PM !
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:42:20 »
Just picked it up from the post office, I'm going to give it a whirl at work this week.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #158 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 20:22:41 »
Alright, I've been using it at my office for a week. Impressions:

- There's an annoyingly long learning curve. You need more than a week to get used to this. The lower row keys were especially hard to get used to, because of the straight matrix layout of the keys (which is probably a good thing overall, though).
- The position of the ctrl and alt keys totally blows. They are too far up the board, so you have to move your hand partially out of typing position to reach them with your thumb.
- I could see this being useful as a therapeutic device, but I'm not convinced that it's a good buy for any other reason. The way your hands sit is very pleasing (with the natural wristwrests and the wide spacing in the middle), but it really screws with your muscle memory.

I'm going to box it up and send it to the next person - would that be slueth or Quarzac?
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:27:08 by Daniel Beaver »

Offline sordna

« Reply #159 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 22:02:52 »
Thanks for writing your impressions. The OP has the user order, ask the users for their address by PM. Order is allowed to change if a user has disappeared.

Offline pyro

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 06 April 2013, 06:54:09 »
I think someone in here said you're not supposed to rest your hands on the keyboard while typing, so maybe if you hover your hands the thumb key positions will work for you. Although I tried and it didn't work for me.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #161 on: Sat, 06 April 2013, 10:54:00 »
I think someone in here said you're not supposed to rest your hands on the keyboard while typing, so maybe if you hover your hands the thumb key positions will work for you. Although I tried and it didn't work for me.
I tried that method awhile back, but it gave me tennis elbow :P

Offline sordna

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 06 April 2013, 13:12:18 »
Folks, when you type on regular keyboards (which usually don't have a wrist rest) do you anchor your wrists on the desk during typing? That will ruin your hands over time.
Think piano... pianists play and their hands float over the keyboard, it's much healthier.

BTW regarding my keyboard's switches, don't judge brown switches by this keyboard, it's like 20 years old and they are completely worn out. I don't love browns, but they are not as bad as you'll find them on this particular ancient board.

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #163 on: Sat, 06 April 2013, 20:33:33 »
BTW regarding my keyboard's switches, don't judge brown switches by this keyboard, it's like 20 years old and they are completely worn out. I don't love browns, but they are not as bad as you'll find them on this particular ancient board.
I'll have to track down a newer board to try them on. The clickyness of blues annoys me.

Offline Torious

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 17 April 2013, 15:09:49 »
Just seeing this thread for the first time -- What a great idea!
I'd like to be added to the list, if I qualify with my meager rep...

I'm in Europe btw, not sure if that complicates things. Perhaps more interested members are in Europe and the keyboard can make its rounds here at some point! (without incurring $30 back-and-forth shipping across the ocean)

Offline wolfv

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 21 April 2013, 15:37:30 »
This is very generous of you sordna.  Please put me on the list of participants.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
« Reply #166 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:15:05 »
Is sleuth next? I'l probably have to forward it pretty soon- it came to me at a kind of lousy time, with a move and a 2 week venture across the country at the end of this week. I may take it home with me, but it depends on if I can get it in my luggage. The thing is pretty beat up, so I am hesitant to do so.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline sordna

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 09:03:42 »
When did you receive it? I'd like to update the OP with the date. It's up to you whether to keep it or forward it.
Slueth was supposed to be before you, but guess he did not respond; he hasn't logged in in a while.
You can try to PM Slueth and Piken if you want to forward it before your move, and see who responds... the OP has the intended order of participants, but they have to be responsive :-)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:18:28 »
I'm curious. Please put me at the end of the list. I'll be moving on June 1st, so my address is still up in the air.

Offline vvp

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:57:19 »
Is sleuth next? I'l probably have to forward it pretty soon- it came to me at a kind of lousy time, with a move and a 2 week venture across the country at the end of this week. I may take it home with me, but it depends on if I can get it in my luggage. The thing is pretty beat up, so I am hesitant to do so.
I carried one over Atlantic. I bought a bigger bag and put it into the center. It still satisfied airline limits. It went as unchecked luggage. No problem in my case.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 16:25:41 »
Made it across the country with it. I'll forward it before I head back across. While I enjoy the keyboard, it's not for me where I am in my life right now. It is not a keyboard for gaming on, which is how I spend a decent amount of my time. I could see it being an asset when I make my way into the workplace and am typing all day every day, but as a student right now I don't have a great need. It did improve my two handed typing in the short time I used it though. Maybe at some point in the distant future I will pick one up with reds. Thanks for the opportunity!

EDIT: Received sometime around 5-2-2013. Not totally sure when exactly, because there's usually a delay of a day or so from tracking to me, but roughly then.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2013, 16:30:19 by Quarzac »

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 29 May 2013, 22:30:56 »
Have not heard from Slueth or Piken. Sent a PM to the next two people on the list. I really don't want to have to take this thing back across the country.

Offline shrap

« Reply #172 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 01:09:18 »
I've just gotten the Kinesis from Quarzac, and it's been a maddening few hours.

I'm so used to hitting space with my left hand that my words are all running together, since the left hand thumb buttons are backspace and delete. The modifier locations are a mystery and I miss my Windows key.

Occasionally it'll all fall in place and I'll bang out a word or two without having to think about it, but the learning curve is pretty brutal so far.

Offline vvp

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 03:49:45 »
I'm so used to hitting space with my left hand that my words are all running together, since the left hand thumb buttons are backspace and delete. The modifier locations are a mystery and I miss my Windows key.
You can use remap to swap Enter with Delete and Space with Backspace. No need to relearn this.
And yes, Kinessis Contoured is lacking keys badly. It would not be such a big deal if it at least one could remap keypad shift to a key other then the pedal. Then one could get proper layer shifting through keys only. As it is now, the keyboard needs a HW mod to be really good.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:20:44 »
There should be a Windows key on this keyboard.

Is it a USB model or an older PS/2 model?

If it's a USB model, to quickly add a Windows key, enter the default layout (Windows mode) by holding down the equals key and tapping the "w" key (=w). The top four thumb keys, from left to right, will be: Ctrl | Alt | Windows | Ctrl.

If it's an old PS/2 model keyboard, there is an embedded Windows key which you can remap to the top layer. Depending on when it was made, the embedded Windows keys are either located in the "PrintScrn" and "Scroll Lock" keys (or for very old PS/2 keyboards they are in the embedded "h" and "n" keys).

You can easily remap these embedded Windows keys to a top layer thumb key by following the below instructions via Kinesis website:

Remapping bottom layer windows key to top layer:

For PS/2 Contoured keyboards, the Windows key (or Command for Mac users) is located in the embedded "PrintScrn" and "Scroll Lock" keys. If you would like to remap the embedded Windows key to the top layer, follow these instructions:

1). Turn Keypad ON.
2). Press and hold the Progrm key and tap F12 (LED's on keyboard will flash rapidly).
3). Press and release the “PrintScrn” key. (LED's will slow down).
4). Press and release the destination key, for example- Right Alt (LED's will speed up).
5). Press and release the “PrintScrn” key (LED's will slow down).
6). Press and release the KEYPAD key.
7). Press and release the SAME destination key, example- Right Alt (LED's will speed up).
8). Exit by repeating step 2 (LED's will stop flashing).

Now, in this example, the Right Alt key will function as the Windows/Apple Command key when keypad is ON or OFF.

NOTE: For older PS/2 Contoured keyboards, the Windows key is located in the embedded "h" and "n" keys.

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:23:55 »
Nevermind. I see this is a Model 110 keyboard, which is about 20 years old and pre-dates a Windows key!

Offline shrap

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 14 June 2013, 11:37:52 »
Well, the problem is that I use both hands for space so switching the keys might not be all that great of a solution. Basically any key other than space is going to be confusing for the thumbs to type at first.

The lack of an inverted T for arrow keys is also quite interesting - it breaks my "right hand on the nav cluster, left hand on the trackball" usage pattern.

It's also weirdly tall - I can't adjust my desk at work so it puts quite a damper on being ergonomic, until I can raise my seat and get a foot stool.

I'm going to put up with the standard layout for at least a week before I start trying to remap my brain again.

I occasionally get flashbacks of using the Typematrix 2030, which has backspace and enter in the center of the keyboard and can be used with both hands. Maybe the problem is that keyboards just need more duplicate keys for the commonly used ones in all kinds of places, instead of pretending there is one good place for each key?

You can use remap to swap Enter with Delete and Space with Backspace. No need to relearn this.
And yes, Kinessis Contoured is lacking keys badly. It would not be such a big deal if it at least one could remap keypad shift to a key other then the pedal. Then one could get proper layer shifting through keys only. As it is now, the keyboard needs a HW mod to be really good.

Offline shrap

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 20:51:53 »
I PM'ed slueth, piken, Krunchy, and dewcorps about the keyboard.

The first two didn't respond to Quarzac either so I guess they're not interested anymore.

Can we move those two to the bottom of the list (or remove them completely)?

I'd like to get this board to someone else interested with a minimum of fuss.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 21:28:06 »
The Kinesis is a very different breed of keyboard. I took to it immediately, but even for me there was still an ever so slight adjustment period. But I also tried a couple layouts (qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak at that same time). IT'S NOT A FLATBOARD AND WILL BE VERY DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER KEYBOARD YOU HAVE EVER USED. lol That's why you want to try it, right?

I had a Datahand, and didn't care for the side-to-side finger movements in the finger pods. Talk about learning curve.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline sordna

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 01:07:15 »
I PM'ed slueth, piken, Krunchy, and dewcorps about the keyboard.

The first two didn't respond to Quarzac either so I guess they're not interested anymore.

Can we move those two to the bottom of the list (or remove them completely)?

I'd like to get this board to someone else interested with a minimum of fuss.

So will you send it to Krunchy or dewcorps ? Let me know, and also please PM me the tracking number when you ship.

Offline shrap

« Reply #180 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 02:49:08 »
So will you send it to Krunchy or dewcorps ? Let me know, and also please PM me the tracking number when you ship.

I'm still waiting for either to respond.

The Kinesis is a very different breed of keyboard. I took to it immediately, but even for me there was still an ever so slight adjustment period. But I also tried a couple layouts (qwerty, Dvorak, Colemak at that same time). IT'S NOT A FLATBOARD AND WILL BE VERY DIFFERENT THAN ANY OTHER KEYBOARD YOU HAVE EVER USED. lol That's why you want to try it, right?

I had a Datahand, and didn't care for the side-to-side finger movements in the finger pods. Talk about learning curve.

The issue is that I type very few actual words in my day job. I am much more dependent on where the = key, F3, and ctrl+space is than where actual letters are located.

Offline shrap

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 20:55:36 »
Shipped to jrockroll.

Offline jrockroll

« Reply #182 on: Fri, 28 June 2013, 13:38:39 »
received on 6.28

Offline sordna

« Reply #183 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 10:23:32 »
Ok, who wants to be next ?

Offline parabum

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:57:42 »
Hi Sordna

I will buy a Kinesis (mostly LF red switches) at the year end and I would be interested to try out your model for a while. However, I live in Germany and perhaps it could do a European tour if there is local interest. I am not sure at the moment how it works with international shipping and customs.   

I recently joined this site and so my 'reputation' is not yet established. Heck, I started thinking about keyboards only couple of months back when I became fairly comfortable with Emacs (started 6 months ago). By the way, it will be my first mechanical keyboard.

Let me know

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:28:12 »
When it's convenient to send it to So. Cal. I'd like to try it out.

Offline sordna

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 11:36:06 »
Hi Sordna

I will buy a Kinesis (mostly LF red switches) at the year end and I would be interested to try out your model for a while. However, I live in Germany and perhaps it could do a European tour if there is local interest. I am not sure at the moment how it works with international shipping and customs.   

I recently joined this site and so my 'reputation' is not yet established. Heck, I started thinking about keyboards only couple of months back when I became fairly comfortable with Emacs (started 6 months ago). By the way, it will be my first mechanical keyboard.

Let me know

I'd like to keep the keyboard in the US, the hassle of extra cost/customs/etc is not worth it.

When it's convenient to send it to So. Cal. I'd like to try it out.

Hi kurplop, please PM jrockroll to arrange it. jrockroll, please PM me the tracking number once you ship it to kurplop.

Offline parabum

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 13:47:54 »
Hi Sordna

Let me know

I'd like to keep the keyboard in the US, the hassle of extra cost/customs/etc is not worth it.

OK.  :( 

Offline sordna

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:27:54 »
Ok, kurplop received the keyboard yesterday.

jrockroll, please post your impressions!

Offline jrockroll

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 09:34:55 »
I've never used an ergonomic keyboard before so kinesis was somewhat cool and odd at the same time. For me, it was hard getting adjusted to the layout and I kept trying to adjust my hand position to a non-ergonomic keyboard. HHKB took me 1 day to get adjusted for kinesis took me more than a week. I kept pressing wrong keys getting use to backspace/delete/enter/space was veryyyyy hard. It never got used to my hand but I'm sure with some practice, it'll be a very comfortable keyboard to type with.

Offline athaeryn

« Reply #190 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 12:07:24 »
Is there a waiting list? I'd love to give this thing a try before buying one.

Edit: I see the waiting list. :)

Offline sordna

« Reply #191 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 13:47:37 »
Is there a waiting list? I'd love to give this thing a try before buying one.

Edit: I see the waiting list. :)

Welcome to GH !  So... if you plan to buy it, why don't you go ahead with the purchase, it has a money back guarantee!  I usually get mine from Fentek, they have a good discount and honor the Kinesis 60 day guarantee, with no restocking fee as well (only cost is the shipping charges).
http://www.fentek-ind.com/kinesis_contoured.htm#KinesisAdvantage

Offline jblack801

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 11:55:53 »
How's this coming? kurplop, enjoying it?

Offline sordna

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 20:30:16 »
Not sure if you guys checked the OP lately, this journey has ended!  The keyboard has been sold to kurplop.
Thanks to all that participated, if anyone didn't post their experience with the keyboard yet, please do so.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 02 November 2013, 22:16:15 »
I have been curious about Kinesis for some time and am glad I had the opportunity to finally put it to the test. Thanks Sordna for sending it out on tour. He offered me a fair price and I bought it, thereby ending its long journey.

Most of my guesses about it were confirmed. I found the thumb clusters more accessible than the ErgoDox's; largely attributed to the sculpted thumb keys and contoured board. I now understand why most people complain about the sub par top row switches. I didn't spend enough time on it to get use to its peculiarities but I both like and dislike the concave key wells. The curve seems to require less stretching to reach all the keys which I like but the curve also means a different outward radial path for the keystrokes in different columns. Not necessarily bad but I didn't take enough time to get use to it. I'm pretty slow at adapting to change.

The shape is hard to understand by just looking at pictures and until I opened the package I wasn't quite sure what it would look like and how big it would seem relative to a standard keyboard. Now I know. 

The keyboard fits the hands like a glove and I can see the benefit of Sordna's palm key mod. If I wasn't happy with my ErgoDox, I would consider the Kinesis and would certainly suggest it as an option to others looking for an ergonomic keyboard.

One final note:  By the time I received it, it had several cracks in the body and four or five small chips missing from the edges. Sordna said some were there when he sent it out but it is hard to tell if it suffered additional injury from being shipped around the world for a year and a half. I think it's a testament to the GH community that it actually made it to its final stop!

Thanks again Sordna.