Author Topic: [IC] GMK "Nine to Five" & "Five to Nine"  (Read 8963 times)

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
[IC] GMK "Nine to Five" & "Five to Nine"
« on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 08:49:43 »
Hey guys,

Well, I'm really new around here so I hope you guys don't roast me too hard. Main reason I made an account after lurking for months is that I finally made a keyboard that I'm pretty proud of. I don't have much expertise at all so if you have any tips or advice for me I'm all ears! Anyways, onto the board.

So I was kind of inspired to do this color scheme after seeing all those Pikachu memes on reddit. I hopped onto KLE and tried to make a Pikachu themed one. It looked terrible but I liked the yellow so eventually I came  to create this one.

The Nine to Five. This board is the spiritual embodiment of a desk job. It's Alphas are easy to look at and sensible, the yellow accents represent the struggle of bringing life and joy into a cubicle. When the clock strikes 5:00 and it's time to go home, these keys are ready to relax.

The Five to Nine. A testament to the badasses that wake up and go to bed when it's dark outside. The keys are striking and the Beige accents are the only thing keeping them from taking their bulldozers on a rampage around the city.

Let me know what you guys think and if this idea is one worth pursuing, I've never done a GB before so if this gets a good response I'll need some help with it.  :D Thanks for reading!

EDIT Nov 27: Still waiting on the render, updated both keysets to include some novelty keys. I incorrectly formatted the file for the render, so at this point I've been waiting since Friday to get the revised one back. I will update as soon as I get it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 November 2018, 03:34:13 by knugles »
Matias QuietPro | CoolerMaster Masterkeys S |

I play a lot of WoW

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
Re: [IC] GMK "Nine to Five" & "Five to Nine"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 09:01:41 »
I really really like this. Definitely the Nine-to-five for me. Any ideas on doing novelties?

Also, if you'd like some pretty good cheap renders fast I like http://kbrenders.com

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 09:13:39 »
I really really like this. Definitely the Nine-to-five for me. Any ideas on doing novelties?

Also, if you'd like some pretty good cheap renders fast I like http://kbrenders.com

As far as novelties I was considering some Work/Play themed ones. Maybe a "Case of the Mondays" Space bar?  :))

I'll check out kbrenders, thanks!

I play a lot of WoW

Offline dyrdevil

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 12:45:36 »
Really like this.
The only thing that looks off to me is the light accents in the five-to-nine.  Not sure if you could do another color without messing with the theme, though.

Offline sysfury

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 13:17:06 »
I like. I like The Nine to Five.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 13:20:38 »
Those are the alphas my Serika Micons have been waiting for! (The 5 to 9 might be interesting!)

Is it going to be as a full set? Probably, that seems like how most GMK buys have been going.
Oh well, another set of mods, then!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 14:48:28 »
5 to 9 plz

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 14:58:14 »
Hey all, thanks for the good feedback! I've been working on some Novelty Keys, just throwing them up here to get some opinions. Let me know if you like them or if I should even bother with them. Thanks!

I feel like the Space bar is pretty funny
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 November 2018, 15:01:06 by knugles »

I play a lot of WoW

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 15:43:52 »
this is just what im looking for id but this right away.

Offline silversung

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 19:27:34 »
Hey all, thanks for the good feedback! I've been working on some Novelty Keys, just throwing them up here to get some opinions. Let me know if you like them or if I should even bother with them. Thanks!

Show Image

I'm sold with these novelties. F*ck it. Love this.

Offline Ashardalon

• Ashkeebs
    • Ashkeebs Lubing Service & Shop
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 22:38:04 »
I love everything about this set. Working 9 to 5:30 during Winter is pretty much the absolute ****s, this would make it a whole lot better though. My girlfriend also loves yellow so you've got her attention, too!

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 22:51:30 »

Show Image

I really enjoyed these until I saw the spacebars. Then I absolutely lost it haha. Not ordinarily in on spacebar text but this just fits

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 06:55:52 »
I've updated the main post to include reworked pictures of both sets. They both now include larger alts, controls, and spacebars for some tenkeyless formats. I've also thrown up the novelty key set. Thanks everyone for the kind words. :D I still don't know what I'm doing.

Here is a picture of they keys on a tenkeyless format in case anyone was wondering how they looked.

« Last Edit: Thu, 22 November 2018, 06:58:11 by knugles »

I play a lot of WoW

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 12:01:21 »
I really like the reworked colors and look forward to seeing some renders.

I like some of the novelties - the 1u ones - but I find the text on the spacebar a little offputting (I can't imagine I would want to ever actually use that) and condescending. Also, I find the $ signs, the "whoops" and the "f*** it" very childish. I wouldn't buy the novelties as they currently stand on that basis. Just my 2c, otherwise I'm really liking how it's shaping up!

Offline moonux

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 12:24:45 »
I really like the reworked colors and look forward to seeing some renders.

I like some of the novelties - the 1u ones - but I find the text on the spacebar a little offputting (I can't imagine I would want to ever actually use that) and condescending. Also, I find the $ signs, the "whoops" and the "f*** it" very childish. I wouldn't buy the novelties as they currently stand on that basis. Just my 2c, otherwise I'm really liking how it's shaping up!

Agree with the above -- I love the colorway, and would definitely buy the base kit, but I only like the 1u novelties. I can't imagine using the other novelties, especially at work in a "professional" setting. Great job regardless, I hope this set comes to fruition.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 12:49:27 »
I might also ask how visible the yellow writing on the mods will be - do you feel there is sufficient contrast there to read it easily (noone enjoys having to squint to read mods)?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 13:05:49 »
Nine to five with weeb legends to get the people to stop bugging me about not putting them on yolch
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 13:10:46 »
Honestly I don’t disagree on the novelties. The space bar is a pun of a quote from Office space, so it not out of nowhere. On the others I think you may be on the right track. Maybe I’ll just take some of the better ones and transplant them to the main sets.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll change it around this evening when I get home and see what everyone thinks.

I play a lot of WoW

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 22 November 2018, 13:25:08 »
Honestly I don’t disagree on the novelties. The space bar is a pun of a quote from Office space, so it not out of nowhere. On the others I think you may be on the right track. Maybe I’ll just take some of the better ones and transplant them to the main sets.

Thanks for the input guys, I’ll change it around this evening when I get home and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks for the background - I'm a big Office Space fan myself - perhaps a "Memo" novelty? Other modern office memes might include things like "lean in", "I don't disagree" (oh the irony!), "first cut", "take it offline", "confab",etc

Offline Punchy Lab

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 25 November 2018, 10:32:54 »
I like 9to5 more. Looks much brighter than 5to9.

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 03:35:50 »
Quick Update: Still waiting to get the render back, but I've baked in the novelty keys into the main keyset, do you guys think I should include the alphas as a separate package or keep everything together?

Thanks for the patience, I'm hoping the render comes in soon.

I play a lot of WoW

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 27 November 2018, 10:07:52 »
I think it's looking really cool nice - I like the TPS reports enter!

I think the word "mondays" on the spacebar should have a capital M, as it's a proper noun?

Offline lzlzh035

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 20:40:11 »
Please add a "996" kit and bring this set back to life!

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 15:51:06 »
Interesting. Any renders?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline knugles

• Hey there Crusty Crew
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 16:11:12 »
Oh Geez I haven’t been on this site in ages. Life got in the way a bit so I’ll try and get a render made. Surprised you guys are still interested!

I play a lot of WoW

Offline msting

• Don't Panic!
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 18 July 2019, 17:49:05 »
Just saw this for the first time today. This looks FUN! Either set!

Offline GraffitiDecos

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 08:12:19 »
As a die hard office space fan, I'd be in!
I think the colorway is fantastic. And the novelties are gold.

Maybe "PC load letter" as a novelty as well?? Haha

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk