Author Topic: Looking for a mouse where i can adjust the firmware  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Mousearm

Looking for a mouse where i can adjust the firmware
« on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 03:58:24 »
 Hi all,
since i have sometimes a lot of pain in my back and arms, i use the RSI Guard software. It allows you for example to define that if you move the mouse for than x pixels (e. g. 15) and after that the mouse has been not moving for x tenth of a second (e.g. 3) than do a left click. The idea is to save some clicks (quiet a lot actually) and help the health of your arms with that.

I love this software, my only problem is now, that i have been working from home for a while, but that might change in near future. That got me thinking, not every company will let me install a software like RSI Guard, i assume this will especially be a problem in larger institutions. So it would smoother solution to have a mouse which when plugged in the (corporate) computer accepts the standard mouse driver (I assume here that i don't need admin rights to plugin mouse in USB port) and does the same thing the RSI Guard software does just "internally". So the same concept of  a truly ergonomic Keyboard, just for a mouse. Any product idea how to do this?

Greetings to this super interesting forum here!

Offline jacobolus

Re: Looking for a mouse where i can adjust the firmware
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 04:42:37 »
Are you willing to build it and write the firmware yourself? If so, you can get a sensor from here: https://www.tindie.com/products/jkicklighter/adns-9800-optical-laser-sensor/

An alternate probably easier solution is to take a PS/2 or serial mouse and wire it up to a Teensy 2.0. That is:

Mouse ----- PS/2 -----> Teensy ----- USB -----> Computer

I think you can use hasu’s tmk_keyboard firmware to interact with PS/2 mice and then send mouse (or whatever other USB HID) events to the computer, but I’ve never tried it myself. https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 September 2014, 04:47:14 by jacobolus »

Offline Mousearm

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 11:59:45 »
Hi Jacobolus,

Thank your for your answer! But that is to high for me, i'm more the "user" type (i guess i don't fit to well into this very pro forum here  :)). I was thinking of a solution more like "Truly Ergonomic Keyboard" where you can modifiy the firmware with some kind of "click here and there"-tool.

Greetings!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 03 September 2014, 18:56:11 »
Well, I don’t know of any mice like that. You might try asking in the 'input devices' subforum, where there’s somewhat more info about mice and other input devices.