Author Topic: Zilent v1 alternative  (Read 2406 times)

Offline R0b

Zilent v1 alternative
« on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 19:03:22 »
Big fan of the zilent v1. Built a new board with zilent v2 and I can’t stand it; basically tactility is too sharp and aggressive. Aside from their name the switches are nothing alike. I’m looking for an alternative to the zilent v1 and as far as I can tell my options are limited to Aliaz, outemu sky silent, and Gateron brown silent. Are there any options I’m missing? Any opinions you could share on the matter?

Offline HungerMechanic

Re: Zilent v1 alternative
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 20:41:20 »
Aliaz and Gateron Silent Brown are reputed to be very similar. They are both quieted Browns. Aliaz is probably quieter, and built to a higher standard. Aliaz 60 most closely resembles Browns, but some people use Aliaz 70 because they think the weight gives a greater tactile feedback.

Both of those switches are Browns, though, and not really an alternative to Zilent V1.

This leaves OUTEMU Silent Sky. These switches use some components that are good, and some that are iffy. You should order Silent Sky in pieces. At the very least, you will want to replace the spring, as it is pingy. You should lube the replacement spring, too. Definitely use the "tight tops," as they reduce the wobble of the switch. It's okay to use the Sky bottom housing, although I have heard that some people use actual MX Clears for that. The tactile stem is the best part of the Sky, and you can even put it in Ergo Clears.

So, Aliaz if you want quiet Browns, Silent Sky if you want quiet Ergo Clears. Do not use Silent Sky in stock form, though.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 01:35:25 »
I think the Tacit switches from Durock are somewhere in-between Zilents V1 and V2, but I have not tested all three side-by-side.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 07:52:23 »
I was going to order a few samples together with when the next shipment of Alpacas / Mauves comes in.

It's my understanding that the T1 was 80% of a V2, but I never tried one. If the Tacit is something more distinct, it might be worth trying.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 19:55:52 »
Big fan of the zilent v1. Built a new board with zilent v2 and I can’t stand it; basically tactility is too sharp and aggressive. Aside from their name the switches are nothing alike. I’m looking for an alternative to the zilent v1 and as far as I can tell my options are limited to Aliaz, outemu sky silent, and Gateron brown silent. Are there any options I’m missing? Any opinions you could share on the matter?

Aliaz silent?