Author Topic: TOMOKO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, 87-Key -- $20  (Read 3728 times)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: TOMOKO Mechanical Gaming Keyboard, 87-Key -- $20
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 20:44:49 »
What is an "Attached Anti-ghosting Key Cap Puller"?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 20:58:41 »

Keeps ghosts away, duhhhh

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
  • on Buckling Springs since '88
    • http://www.huntsvillecarscene.com
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 21:50:36 »

hahaha!

Anyone got this board?  It's amazing to find these $20 deals almost every week now.  :thumb: :eek:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 20:48:13 »

Yes, silly me.

It's water-resistant too - does that mean it's shark-proof?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 21:10:17 »

Yes, silly me.

It's water-resistant too - does that mean it's shark-proof?

That would be hard, sharks love electric currents running through....just don’t plug it in

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 23:20:57 »
Anyone got this board?  It's amazing to find these $20 deals almost every week now.  :thumb: :eek:

Yeah, I ordered one when the OP posted about them this summer, when they were listed as "Turbot" boards. (I guess the distributor realized what "turbot" meant since then, and what people might think about typing on a fish, LOL.)

I think they're great! Obviously you're not getting a Filco here, but I was quite impressed with the solid build, and the fun touch and sound. I take mine on the road, as it's so compact and lets me bypass my laptop's wimpy board. For the price of a couple of lunches, I don't think you can go wrong.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 00:35:15 »

Yeah, I ordered one when the OP posted about them this summer, when they were listed as "Turbot" boards. (I guess the distributor realized what "turbot" meant since then, and what people might think about typing on a fish, LOL.)

I think they're great! Obviously you're not getting a Filco here, but I was quite impressed with the solid build, and the fun touch and sound. I take mine on the road, as it's so compact and lets me bypass my laptop's wimpy board. For the price of a couple of lunches, I don't think you can go wrong.
Oh super sweet review!  You make me want to get one now even though I don't like tkl, lol!

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 01:59:26 »
Oh super sweet review!  You make me want to get one now even though I don't like tkl, lol!

LOL, dude, I'm with you about TKLs. As a tech writer, I must often use extended characters that you create by typing ASCII codes, e.g.:

(Alt+tenkey 0151)

© (Alt+tenkey 0169)

é, â, ö, etc. (more Alt+tenkey numbers)

Whoever created these codes, in their great wisdom and foresight, decided the digits must be typed only on the tenkey. Why, oh why, would that matter? Why not be able to use the normal number keys as well? But no.

So when I use a TKL, I must keep examples of these symbols in a nearby text editor so I can copy and paste them. (I've tried KB maps, but they take more steps than they're worth.)

And yet, some TKLs are so fun, convenient and/or affordable, they make up for the hassle. This is modern life.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline SamirD

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 November 2017, 22:26:18 »

LOL, dude, I'm with you about TKLs. As a tech writer, I must often use extended characters that you create by typing ASCII codes, e.g.:

(Alt+tenkey 0151)

© (Alt+tenkey 0169)

é, â, ö, etc. (more Alt+tenkey numbers)

Whoever created these codes, in their great wisdom and foresight, decided the digits must be typed only on the tenkey. Why, oh why, would that matter? Why not be able to use the normal number keys as well? But no.

So when I use a TKL, I must keep examples of these symbols in a nearby text editor so I can copy and paste them. (I've tried KB maps, but they take more steps than they're worth.)

And yet, some TKLs are so fun, convenient and/or affordable, they make up for the hassle. This is modern life.
I remember the day I discovered those codes!  They were like a magic language that only a few knew.  My brother and I tried every single number from 0 to 999 on the numpad just to see what would type out.  :D  And then there were the two different code sets so you could get graphical characters, but only sometimes (and not really when you wanted them).  I think I still have some printouts we made of them so that we knew what code went to what character.

These days, I do a web search for the character I want and cut and paste into notepad and then from there to wherever I need it.  ;D  Simple, effective and generally available on any system with Internet access.  ;)

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 November 2017, 08:17:14 »
Alternately (if you are using Windows), you can try:

https://www.autohotkey.com/