Author Topic: Ducky Shine II DK9087  (Read 12497 times)

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
Ducky Shine II DK9087
« on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 14:33:13 »
Here are my impressions of the Ducky Shine II tenkeyless keyboard.

*tic* *click*   *clack* *thuck*

*NICE:D

Mine is a DK9087S2-CUSALY, with Cherry MX blue switches and yellow LEDs.

First off, this are just my opinions, and my opinions do not imply failure or fault.

I got a Ducky 87 key illuminated keyboard yesterday from mechanicalkeyboards.com.
I didn't personally unpack the box, it was delivered to work and the shipping dept. unpacked it.
The box was somewhat scuffed and had obviously been handled, all the expected parts were in the box.

The keyboard itself is a solid little unit, it has a pleasing heft to it and seems rigid and substantial.
The housing is free of logos and badges.
The left and right windows keys and the space bar display the ducky logo when the back light is on.
It is possible to control the back light on every key except two keys above the right cluster and the
CAPS and SCROLL lock keys which reflect their active state and always use a fixed brightness.

The key caps have a uniform level of brightness that is affected by amount of transparent area required to display the key cap character.
Typically the letters are bold and show the most light,  the numbers on the top row are uniformly smaller and slightly less light is exposed,
and the function keys are also reasonably uniform in brightness.  The resultant effect is that they group well.

Backlight intensity is usable from OFF + 5 levels of brightness.   The lowest setting is appropriate for a dark room and the brightest setting is almost glaring.

It may be important to note that the unshifted value of the key is illuminated.
The shifted value of the keys are not prominent and appear as grey on black.
Also the unshifted value is on the upper half of the keycap and the shifted value is on the lower half on the keycap.  I found this slightly annoying as I like the standard of putting the shifted value on the top and the unshifted value on the bottom.
I understand the change is associated with the mechanical positioning with the LED.  The aesthetics are pleasing, so I can  accept this readily.

All of the function keys have double duty, accessed by simultaneous press with Fn.  A drawback of this is all of the multimedia keys require two key presses, on the other hand, there are less keys on the keyboard and all of the keys are in the normal position.

There is no 'Menu'/'Application' key that is found on some keyboards.  SHIFT+F10 or right mouse click provides that functionality.  I don't know why they have both a left and right windows key instead of one windows key and one menu/app key.  Many keyboards have a single windows key, including microsofts' natural keyboards.

The USB cord is detachable, nicely protected in a recessed area with an adequate strain relief.  There is a cable routing area that allows you to route it to the left, middle or right at the back of the keyboard,  Oddly, it does NOT provide for the cable to come out the side of the keyboard, but fortunately there is enough recess at the back that the cord itself need not stick out past the back of the enclosure.

Duckys' rubber feet are wide and ample for a solid non slip stance on the work surface.

The Cherry MX Blue switches feel (to me) stifffer than the Cherry MX Browns.
The blues have the noticeable *tic* as the finger taps the key, 'click' as the tactile point is reached, the 'clack' as the key bottoms out and the 'thuck' as it returns to the sprung position.
yeah it is noisy, and the *clack*  and the *thuck* are so close together they sound as one.

The keyboard does not expose any extension USB ports and is rated to draw up to 100mA on the USB port.

The rear elevation feet are not impressive, they do not have nonslip bottoms but are sturdy and functional.  Using them can transmit slightly more noise to the work surface .

Some of the larger keys,  the ample BACKSPACE key, the two SHIFT keys, the ENTER were a bit mushy when I first used them.  The SPACE bar seems fine.

The ABS key caps have a matte feel to them, and an appropriate font is revealed when the backlight is on.
The legends are well formed and legible if you are trying to read them but are not obvious or distinct due to low contrast.

So whats it like to use a tenkeyless layout? 
For the most part I didn't miss that rightmost cluster of keys at all,  I DID like the ready availability of the four arrow keys.
There were two keys that I did miss,  the NumPadAdd  + and the NumPadSub - keys.  I use AutoHotkey to map the PgUp and PgDn keys to them with a modifier key.

Bottom line is, I really like this noisy compact and easy to read (when illuminated) keyboard.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine II DK9087
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 18:09:32 »
Great review!

How yellow is the yellow backlighting?  Bright yellow?  Orange yellow?  Pale yellow?

And what switch is under the spacebar (is it MX blue, as the rest of the keyboard, or green, as I recently discovered my Ducky Shine (version 1) is)?  Don't feel obliged to answer this if you don't want to remove the spacebar :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 18:51:55 »
Great review!

How yellow is the yellow backlighting?  Bright yellow?  Orange yellow?  Pale yellow?

:) thanks,
on a conceptual scale

at low brightness
RED          ORANGE     YELLOW    WHITE
+----------+----------+-*--------+

at high brightness
RED          ORANGE     YELLOW    WHITE
+----------+--------*-+----------+

all very scientific I'm sure :-D

It appears to me as yellow, not outrageously so, perhaps on the pale side more than the orange side.

When i first saw it it, I liked it, it didn't appear wrong or unusual, really quite perfect and within expectations.
that is at the lowest settings.

At the highest brightness settings:
it is really bright YELLOW with perhaps a tendency to the orange side but for sure if you look at it.. it is certainly YELLOW and not orange.
A big bright bold in your face YELLOW.

And what switch is under the spacebar (is it MX blue, as the rest of the keyboard, or green, as I recently discovered my Ducky Shine (version 1) is)?  Don't feel obliged to answer this if you don't want to remove the spacebar :)
I haven't popped the space bar, but it is clicky pretty much exactly like the other single keys, it lowers evenly no matter where it is pressed, clicks about the same depth as the other keys and bottoms out just like the others.  it does sound with a lower tone though perhaps because of its size and mass.
When it bottoms out it sounds a deeper tone,  where other keys go 'CLEEK' it goes  'THWACK'

Happy to answer your questions.  thanks for asking
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline dotancohen

• Dotan Cohen
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 10:48:19 »
It sounds to me that you are hitting the keys too hard. Try to train yourself to release the key just after the *click*. Type slowly and deliberately at first, like pulling the trigger on a new firearm. Once you can feel where the keypress is registered (just a bit after the *click*) release the key. You'll get back up to decent typing speed after just a few days, you'll be reducing wear on your fingertips, and you'll be making less noise. You'll be having fun, too, as it has been years since you've put any conscious though into typing and the new typing awareness sinks in.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 15:22:18 »
It sounds to me that you are hitting the keys too hard.

It sounds louder on paper  :))
More

Offline GordonZed

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 February 2013, 10:53:55 »
Oh dear, I didn't know they had a tenkeyless one. I just ordered the DK9008.
Filco Majestouch Ninja TKL (MX blue)

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 14:05:09 »
I have the O.G ducky shine 2 tkl pro 6097 and i wish i had the one that lit up.. but EVERYWHERE was out of stock and i couldnt wait any longer ;P

Offline drdoooom

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 12:40:11 »
good review haha

Offline alextdel

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 07:12:15 »
I have just received my Ducky 9087 Shine 2 with blue LED and Brown switches.

I asked a few novice questions in this topic but I thought a reply to this thread was as good as any to give my first impressions.

I ordered the board on Sunday from an online store in Australia as I live in the Gold Coast region of Queensland. The store is PC Case Gear. The delivery took less than 48 hours from hitting the enter key on the order page, even though on a Sunday.

I must say the board is well made and every key is smooth and consistent. Please bear in mind that I have nothing except for about 30 years of using non mechanical keyboard to compare with - although before moving to Australia 23 years ago I worked on several Aircraft Simulators which had the oldest and the most mechanical keyboards you could ever find in their mainframe computer areas.

The typing experience is very good after a couple of hours of use I can tell my technique is already changing with the tactile feedback helping me to lighten up on the keystrokes. I have o-rings coming in the post but I don't think the board is that noisy - again, I am consciously trying not to bottom out the keys. I like the feel of the browns both the tactile notch at the top of the travel and the overall loading of the keys.

I agree with DeepThawt that the shifted character appearing on the bottom of the key does take some getting used to but I can quite easily live with the difference.

I was concerned with reading about the various issues with stabilisers on the larger keys but I have to say they feel great. They are well balance and the loading matches perfectly with the other keys. Obviously this means the spacebar, shift keys etc.

This model is a tenkeyless (without the number pad area) - I am glad I choose this version. I will need a number pad eventually but this can be a cheap wireless or cabled unit that sits away from the main keyboard and mouse area. The easy movement between the keyboard and the mouse is a big plus in my book.

So far I am very pleased with the purchase of this board. I'd love to try some of the other switches in the range but when I win Gold Lotto maybe.

I am glad to now be a mech kb user.  :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 07:19:00 by alextdel »

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:31:09 »
Where to buy these duckys from...?

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:56:15 »
HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP

Offline yuki x3

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 13:51:49 »
Hi guys, I want to know if there are some websites which ships this beautiful Ducky to France.
I see that mechanicalkeyboards.com does but they currently do not have any... :/

Do you know other websites selling the Ducky for 170$ (shipping included)? =)

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 14:35:21 »
How are the backlighting effects achieved? I assume it's on the main board of the keyboard? It's not something extra that can be pulled off and used on a different keyboard?

How can that same backlighting control be added to a different mechanical keyboard?
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~