Author Topic: Buckling Spring Keyboard Review - AT F and SSK  (Read 11887 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Buckling Spring Keyboard Review - AT F and SSK
« on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:28:14 »

AKIMbO’s Model F on top and my new SSK on the bottom

Recently I’ve hit an amazing good luck streak and managed to get my hands on an SSK and joined AKIMbO’s Model F tour. So I finally got my hands on buckling spring switches and I’m extremely excited. Since I tried out The_Beast’s and Trent’s SSKs in Chicago, I’ve been dying to own one of my own. And now? WISH GRANTED! Thanks GirlShark! (Yes, the GirlShark itself deemed me worthy to own its former keyboard. I bask in its glory :P.)

But seriously though, I’m happy to finally own an SSK and to try out the AT F. I’ve heard so many good things about both boards and I got to try them out side-by-side! And I hope everyone on the AT F tour will forgive me for keeping the board for a little extra time. I’ve been busy at work and haven’t had the chance to write. But as the AT F tour rules state, I have to write a review. And so here’s what I owe you all: my thoughts on the IBM SSK and AT F buckling spring keyboards.

First off, for all you IBM fanboys, here’s a picture of the back of the boards.

The little sticker was orange. I’m not sure if that means anything. And the board is a two years older than me hehe.

Back of the F. Doesn’t have the cool tag that the SSK has.

Aesthetics
Like I said above, both the boards are in really good condition. There’s not a lot of yellowing and both are very clean. Trust me when I say I know what yellowing looks like. I bought a Focus FK-2001 with yellowed caps. I’m happy to say neither of these are that yellow.
The SSK has no LEDs and has a little circular clear/silver IBM badge that seems to be a sticker or something drawn and then lacquered over with a clear coat. My board also has caps from an IBM Personal Wheelwriter; which explains some of the green text (Special shoutout to Parak for the knowledge bomb on where my caps are from!). I really love the backspace actually. The F has a little silver bage with “IBM Personal Computer AT” printed on it. It also has green rectangular LEDs which are similar to the Dell AT101W. Overall the boards have a lovely retro look with very clean and nice, contrasting legends on the caps.

Unfortunately I don’t have the nutdriver needed to take apart the SSK and I don’t own the AT F so I will not even consider opening that up. However, I’m positive there’s a million pictures of them online and the GH Wiki has some cool pics.

The AT F has one piece reinforced caps. They look to be dye-sub PBT.

Bottom of the AT F caps

Top of the AT F caps

The SSK has two piece caps: a bottom with the stem and the top key part. Again it looks to be dye-sub PBT.

Bottom of the SSK Cap, separated

Top of the SSK Cap, separated

Bottom of the SSK Cap, assembled

Keyboard Macro Details
These guys are tanks. I think this F AT is three to five pounds while the SSK is maybe three pounds. The two actually feel very similar to me in regards to the weight. The SSK has the normal flip-out feet that most keyboards have. But the AT F has these spring-loaded rotational tabs that keep the feet out.

I love little mechanical things like this. I didn’t even realize what they were until tonight when I started to fiddle with everything while I took pictures. They both have curled cables. The AT F has an AT connector obviously. AKIMbO then included an AT to PS/2 and a PS2 to USB connector. My SSK has a PS/2 connector but I think my motherboard doesn’t recognize it because I can’t get it to work. The bezel on the AT F is enormous, but no worse than the AT101W. Surprisingly though, the SSK bezel isn’t bad and it’s actually about the same size as my FC700R.

Typing on these keyboards
So first off I found some videos that show what each board sounds like. In the AT F video, which is the first video, my board sounds exactly like the first board he types on. And in the second video, my SSK sounds a little crisper and less springy but it’s pretty representative of the sound.

SSK
I hestitate to make comparisons to MX Blues, Greens, or Whites since the Buckling Spring is just so unique. It’s just SO clicky. It kinda feels like 65g Blues on steroids or if Greens have bit more vibration. When the spring hits the barrel you can feel it reverberate a little and you know that the switch has clicked. It’s so authoritative. The actuation is a little rough though, definitely not as smooth as an MX Black or White switch. It kind of reminds me of Clicky White Alps, a little crispy. The actuation point feels like it’s about where Alps switches are; towards the top of the travel. As you press down, you can feel the slight resistance as the spring bends and then it finally snaps against the barrel. On the rebound, there is a ping and I like it. In terms of actuation force, it feels about the same as 65g Blues. Oh and the layout is Winkeyless ANSI with the small enter so I really like it. There is no need for any adjustment from me.

AT F
It’s somehow springier than the SSK switches. They just feel so responsive and the spring constants seem to be higher or something. I think these are my favorite clicky switches. I’ve been saying for the entire time I’ve had the board that I’m extremely sad that I have to give this board up. Typing on it just feels so nice. The sound is so sproingy/pingy and the actuation feels a bit lighter and clickier than the SSK.

However, the layout has been driving me crazy. There’s no winkey. Escape is where num lock would be on a full size board. The delete is a 1x space key. The function row is on the left and setup vertically, which completely baffles me. The CTRL is where Caps Lock is normally. The enter key feels odd, as if the spring is somehow less springy than the res of the switches so hitting enter can feel dull and flat instead of springy and vibrant. And the spacebar is probably three or four times as heavy, in terms of actuation, versus the rest of the keys.

With all that being said, I’d buy one of these boards any day and figure out how to Teensy it to get a layout that works for me. And mod the spacebar to be lighter.

Final Thoughts
Someone make a project where they cut down an F to TKL or 60%. I would love you forever and might even consider giving up all my MX switches to go exclusively capacitive buckling spring. I LOVE typing this AT F and I’m sad to see it go. The build quality is amazing considering how old it is. The same thing with the SSK, it’s twenty six years old and still looks almost new and works well with only one minor flaw. If you don’t have a buckling spring board, you’re doing yourself a serious disfavor. Get one. Now.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
Re: Buckling Spring Keyboard Review - AT F and SSK
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:33:36 »
Nice review!  The layout of the F can be changed to be quite close to ANSI, if you desire.  The boinginess of the F can get to be a bit much, but it can be quelled with the "floss mod" without losing that wonderful snap.  The F really is the ultimate tactile switch.
Russ

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:42:47 »
Good review, yes the F is lovely after changing the layout a bit.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:47:06 »
Nice review!  The layout of the F can be changed to be quite close to ANSI, if you desire.  The boinginess of the F can get to be a bit much, but it can be quelled with the "floss mod" without losing that wonderful snap.  The F really is the ultimate tactile switch.

No. The boinginess is amazing and I love it so much. And how do you mod it to ANSI? I would want the small space bar and 2x backspace.

Good review, yes the F is lovely after changing the layout a bit.

Thanks for reading my review! :D

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:53:57 »
Ohhhh myyyyy G______d!!! The model F sounds soooo nice! I can only imagine the stream of melody made by a pair of 100 wpm handed!
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 21:58:30 »
Definitely....the sound of Fs is so musical. I am SO upset it's leaving me now :(

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:01:33 »
The process is documented in a few places.  The Model F is more modular than the M, thanks to the barrel plate design.  This is what mine looks like:

Russ

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:03:37 »
How is the unicomp keyboards compare to these?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:04:28 »
The process is documented in a few places.  The Model F is more modular than the M, thanks to the barrel plate design.  This is what mine looks like:

Show Image

Oh I've been looking into doing the spacebar mod to get the two hidden buttons on the side.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:07:50 »
Documented on the 'Hack or should I just Google?

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:09:25 »
It's here somewhere, but sadly not in the Wiki...looking....
Russ

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:15:08 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37753.0

fohat.digs and wcass are two of the experts in this area.
Russ

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:18:20 »
I did one for my AT here if you wanted to take a look too.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40599.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 22:20:11 »
Hooray! Knowledge!!

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 23:34:14 »
I have been waiting for this review.  I'm glad you like it.  BUCKLING SPRING POWAH!!!   Your reviews seem to be held in high regard here, hopefully more people switch over to the dark side :D
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 07:42:16 »
How is the unicomp keyboards compare to these?

Unicomp keyboards don't sound as pingy as a Model F(or M), and the case construction feels lighter and far less rigid. Like the Model M, Unicomp keyboards require more actuation force than a Model F, and the keys don't feel as springy and crisp. Compared to a Model F, they basically feel like a Model M with less ping.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 May 2013, 09:10:40 »
Great review CPT. Seriously knocked it out of the park -- as always.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 02 June 2013, 21:55:41 »
Thanks mashby. Looking forward to your reviews as well :D

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 08:58:41 »
Just jumped in on the tour.  Can't wait to take it for a spin.  Would you say this board is lighter than your typical Model M?  I've heard that claim floated around here.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 08:59:38 »
I don't think so but I don't exactly recall the weight of a Model M. The last time I touched an M was at the Chicago meet.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 10:33:22 »
I don't think so but I don't exactly recall the weight of a Model M. The last time I touched an M was at the Chicago meet.

Oops sorry I don't think I was clear.  I was talking about the actuation force.  Does the Model F have a lighter actuation force than the Model M?
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 13:44:17 »
I think so. Not by a lot but it was definitely a bit lighter.

Offline wcass

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 21:21:02 »
for anyone looking for instructions on Teensy-fying and adding the hidden keys
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=25919.0

sorry about the missing pictures. i will re-post one of these days.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 21:22:04 »
Oooo, please do. I'd be very interested in this wcass. :D