Author Topic: Liquid vs Air Cooling  (Read 6152 times)

Offline PointyFox

Re: Liquid vs Air Cooling
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:32:09 »
I overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.6 GHz and can passively cool it with a Hyper 212+.  The only fans I need running in my computer are the built-in PSU and GPU ones.  Idle, the CPU temperature is about 38C, and playing games it's around 83C.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:33:41 by PointyFox »

Offline concept73

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 04:29:27 »
Liquid cooling is quieter, cooler and looks amazing compared to air cooling!

Yes it comes at a price but if you have th money is worth it!

Personally if you design it properly, put it together properly, you wont have any leeks or issues!
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 08:47:27 »
I overclocked my i5 2500k to 4.6 GHz and can passively cool it with a Hyper 212+.  The only fans I need running in my computer are the built-in PSU and GPU ones.  Idle, the CPU temperature is about 38C, and playing games it's around 83C.

My 2500k@stock clock idles around 30c with a Hyper 212+ (fan running) and 4 case fans, am I doing something wrong?

Then again it never goes past ~60C under load...

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:03:35 »
Any reviews on the new swiftech kits?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:36:13 »
My favorite post on any forum goes something like this:

"I cool my Intel Xeon Eight-Core Processor with the beanie cap shown here:

I have my cpu OC'd to 5.2 ghz @ 1.118V.  I use my own recipe of toothpaste and bird cr@p for TIM.  I keep my computer in the sauna, and my ambient temps are 49C night and day, but my idle temps hover around 10C, and my max temps get just over 22C. 

I have no fans in my case, but my dog wags his tail near it at least once a day.  My case was carved out of a solid block of acrylic plastic and conducts no heat whatsoever.  The foregoing proves that I am a genius, and cool guy."
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:37:49 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:49:39 »
I have a H110 (dual 140mm) closed loop system on mine, and I'm pretty happy with it for what I use my computer for. I have the PWM Noctua fans turned all the way down, and it keeps things cool enough for me.

after reading eth0s' words, I dunno if I will try real water cooling now...I was under the assumption that water cooling had come a long way since the early days and that maintenance was very minimal and that risks were also minimal...seems not to be the case at all
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:56:35 »

As for danger with water cooling, it's there.  Anybody with long-term water cooling experience, who is not a liar, can list the parts that have been ruined by leaks. 

hi long time water cooler and not a liar. i have never ruined any hardware water cooling my systems. i am a hardware technician, and i am patient. maybe that helps.

anywho if you do it right you dont have to worry. when you start taking shortcuts and dont do your due diligence then you will have problems.

or you can go closed loop and never worry and have great water cooling. it isnt as flashy but it works like a champ on a cpu. 

dont be scared. be excited.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 12:58:20 »
I USED TO HAVE A DELL PENTIUM 4 LAPTOP WHERE I'D PUT IT IN THE FREEZER TO KEEP IT FROM OVERHEATING.

I bet it was a Prescott core.   lol

THOSE THINGS MAKE GREAT SPACE HEATERS, DON'T THEY?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 13:06:35 »
Any reviews on the new swiftech kits?

Yeah, martin of martinsliquidlabs reviewed it and several other did too.  It's a good unit, though it seems like early models were plagued with some QC issues.

I have a H110 (dual 140mm) closed loop system on mine, and I'm pretty happy with it for what I use my computer for. I have the PWM Noctua fans turned all the way down, and it keeps things cool enough for me.

More
Show Image

after reading eth0s' words, I dunno if I will try real water cooling now...I was under the assumption that water cooling had come a long way since the early days and that maintenance was very minimal and that risks were also minimal...seems not to be the case at all

There are risks with CLCs too.  Look at posts where they burst and took out components in systems.  With what you spent on an H110 and four Noctua fans, a custom loop would have been a great alternative without a ton of risk as long as you take your time and double and triple check that you're doing things right. 

Most of the cases where I see something went wrong are user error.  They did something like forgetting to tighten the compression fittings down all the way and to retighten them for the first week or so, forgetting to leak test before turning the computer on, or other things like that.  You're putting water near electronics, so there's always risk, but there's a ton you can do to mitigate that risk.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:55:26 »
^ Martim is awesome. He and I exchanged many pm's and emails in the design phase of my system.

John
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 September 2013, 16:57:41 by jcrouse »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 01:51:42 »

What are the QC issues?

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3