Author Topic: [IC] GMK Toxic  (Read 47662 times)

Offline Prelim

Re: [IC] GMK Toxic
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 13:36:45 »
interested in the mods, but I think the kit have too many caps which people wont need. Maybe a few caps will reduce the price?

I would also prefer to see some icons on the Win caps, instead of "Toxic" text, as the kit is Icon-type (without legends). Some ISO users also prefer to have the "Alt Gr" caps but personally I can live without it. Here's some food for thought:

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2019, 13:54:34 by Prelim »
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 14:06:11 »
interested in the mods, but I think the kit have too many caps which people wont need. Maybe a few caps will reduce the price?

The base kit and the toxic mods are minimalist as possible and include only necessary keys for most basic layouts. Which keys do you think are obsolete? If i look at your mockup i clearly see you are 60%/TKL user and you want only the keys you need for your preference. Thus you want to exclude 65% and 96/1800er layouts.

I would also prefer to see some icons on the Win caps, instead of "Toxic" text, as the kit is Icon-type (without legends). Some ISO users also prefer to have the "Alt Gr" caps but personally I can live without it. Here's some food for thought:

Show Image

Novelty keys do belong into novelty kit imo. And because we have here several kits there is also separated kit for novelties.

I personally don't like the win icon (even as windows user). And i don't want to make it OS specific. I can change it only to "Super" in case too many people dislike "Toxic". Keep in mind this is an OG Cherry Icon style which has the bottom row as text only (except for arrows).

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2019, 14:12:28 by T0mb3ry »

Offline freespam

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 23:29:08 »
looking forward to this set.  Any chance of a space bar kit (with a 1.25 please!)?

Offline norb

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 05:33:31 »

I personally don't like the win icon (even as windows user). And i don't want to make it OS specific. I can change it only to "Super" in case too many people dislike "Toxic". Keep in mind this is an OG Cherry Icon style which has the bottom row as text only (except for arrows).

my vote would go for keeping Toxic instead of Super.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 06:58:14 »

It will stay Toxic

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 11:35:32 »

It will stay Toxic

this is the right choice

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 16:44:02 »
FINALLY, YESSSSSSSSS i guess this will be on drop?

"Because the Group Buy will be organized by Originative" ...

As much as I love the design (those new novelties are especially killer), given how the SP and JTK Toxic runs have been handled, I will have to give it a miss so long as Originative or Bunnylake have any involvement in this.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 16:47:40 »

It will stay Toxic

this is the right choice

Absolutely the right choice! After being run in DCS then JTK, the GMK set can only really add not subtract keys to keep it Toxic.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 21:00:55 »
The IC thread will last about two weeks and GB might happen shortly after i close this IC thread.

any update on timeline?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 23:53:50 »
The IC thread will last about two weeks and GB might happen shortly after i close this IC thread.

any update on timeline?

The kits are final. We are waiting for renders in order to begin with GB.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 October 2019, 10:29:05 by T0mb3ry »

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 23:59:57 »
Might be the first set in some time without split space bars.

Offline NathanielGoodtimes

• n/a
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 09:20:21 »
On the wall about this set.............
Waiting for the renders

Offline Toxic78

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 18:56:35 »
Just ordered the rama 65b in moon. Completely in on this since I've used the Toxic handle for the better part of 2 decades.

Offline Handke

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 03:45:19 »
I like these colors. What I'm worried about is how the set will really look. So samples are needed ASAP.
There is a mistake in ISO: there are two keys which are identical, and they shouldn't be.
\| R3 and R4 keys
Since you deliver from EU, this could be a nice, original and inexpensive set. Wait. Is it going to be run by originative with import taxes and all?
I have no grip on vendors etc. I am doing only the ic and kit design.

The base does not really support ISO but offers ISO compatibility. The pipe keys are fillers for ISO, so they are on point.

Having two identical keys is really annoying.

UK iso has
# R3
\| R4

DE ISO has
# R3
<> R4

So surely R4 should be #.
Personally I'd like <> R3. I'll make a stat of EU use of that if you need some hard numbers.

(Attachment Link)
uk

(Attachment Link)
us iso

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_American_keyboards

+1+1+1+1

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:02:45 »
If you care about ISO compatibility then you should read following amazing article by Depletedvespene.
http://www.farah.cl/Keyboardery/Why-Do-Keycap-Sets-have-so-many-Copies-of-the-Backslash-Pipe-Key/

I am very thankful that Depletedvespene took time to write this very informative article and i am also thankful him to give me permission to post this article here for clarification.

Anyway i want to know your preference for PC or Terminal style. Please vote in the link below. If you don't know what PC and Terminal style is, then you did not read the article and you should read it before voting ;) .

VOTE HERE

+1+1+1+1

Read above.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 November 2019, 11:05:09 by T0mb3ry »

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 10:15:09 »
We would like to express interest as a vendor for the EU part of this! Are Deskmats going to be a thing?
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline norb

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 11:23:06 »
and i would like to express interest in having an eu proxy!
if there was a way to make originative "hear the voices" that would be great :thumb:

Offline AdrianMan

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 12:19:29 »
Please add 6u spacebars !

Offline Enemy

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 20:23:17 »
Any plans to add a 40s kit?

Offline byoliven

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 20:50:31 »
I am looking for that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline menuhin

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 09 November 2019, 21:30:08 »
I am looking for that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Hope Originative can see this too.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 05:14:06 »

If the base kit sells well then it might be considered to introduce 40% kit, but right now lets see how the base kit goes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2019, 05:18:20 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #122 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:05:06 »
Update
 - Mockups were replaced with renders by Oblotzky.

Base kit
 - ISO compatibility was changed from PC to Terminal style (replaced R4 slash pipe key with <> key)
 - "00" 1u key in numpad was replaced with deep dish (scoop) homing 5 key.

Toxic mods

Toxic novelties

Desolator kit

Offline adxlk

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 10:30:18 »
possible bots & gamerset raffle?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 11:21:35 »

Brocaps did already Toxic related sales several times and they can be found on mm. So i am not sure if he would do it again.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 November 2019, 11:26:02 by T0mb3ry »

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 11:31:47 »
Update
 - Mockups were replaced with renders by Oblotzky.

Base kit
 - ISO compatibility was changed from PC to Terminal style (replaced R4 slash pipe key with <> key)
 - "00" 1u key in numpad was replaced with deep dish (scoop) homing 5 key.
Show Image

Toxic mods
Show Image

Toxic novelties
Show Image

Desolator kit
Show Image

I need this thanks - any chance for a dark grey numrow kit

Offline adxlk

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 11:52:45 »

Brocaps did already Toxic related sales several times and they can be found on mm. So i am not sure if he would do it again.

Worth a try right? The set itself is happening again, so maybe the artisans can happen again  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 12:19:59 »
I need this thanks - any chance for a dark grey numrow kit

I guess you missed it. The base kit has the grey numrow already.
229832-0

Offline Hokabuki

« Reply #128 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 21:41:51 »
Am I missing something? Do the toxic mods need to include a mod colored backspace key? There is already one in the base kit.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 21:57:58 »
Am I missing something? Do the toxic mods need to include a mod colored backspace key? There is already one in the base kit.

In the toxic mods, insert home and page up are presumably left out for the same reason. Should a toxic colored pause key be in there?

Split bars? 2.25/2.75 could join forces with the 6u crowd for a kit? Or add em somewhere?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 00:06:52 »

Yes, the toxic mods can only be used in combination with the base kit. Its an extension for the base kit.

In the toxic mods, insert home and page up are presumably left out for the same reason. Should a toxic colored pause key be in there?

Toxic mods are extension for the base kit and base kit already includes the keys (see the stripe) you mentioned. Toxic pause is needed for the stripe in cherry 1800er layout.

Split bars? 2.25/2.75 could join forces with the 6u crowd for a kit? Or add em somewhere?

If the sale goes well we might consider to add a spacebar kit.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 00:49:46 »

Yes, the toxic mods can only be used in combination with the base kit. Its an extension for the base kit.

Toxic mods are extension for the base kit and base kit already includes the keys (see the stripe) you mentioned. Toxic pause is needed for the stripe in cherry 1800er layout.

Nevermind. I answered those questions while sleep walking. Just realized what people are talking about - after a cup of coffee. We'll adjust the renders accordingly to the Mockups. I missed that backspace in Toxic mods...
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 November 2019, 00:52:38 by T0mb3ry »

Offline piit79

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 00:58:02 »

Just curious what does that mean exactly? Would you be adding more kits during the GB, depending on the numbers? Is that even practical, especially with GMK? But what do I know, just wondering :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 01:08:40 »

Just curious what does that mean exactly? Would you be adding more kits during the GB, depending on the numbers? Is that even practical, especially with GMK? But what do I know, just wondering :)
It's definitely possible to add kits during the GB. And yes if the GB goes well then it's possible that we might consider to add 40% and a spacebar kit.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 11:55:41 »
The backspace has been removed from the Toxic mods.

Thanks guys for the catch.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 12:17:59 »
It's definitely possible to add kits during the GB. And yes if the GB goes well then it's possible that we might consider to add 40% and a spacebar kit.

This will go over like a brick....You already complain that not enough 40's users buy into GBs to begin with, and then you want to play with the idea that you could add the kits Mid GB? 

What a horrendous idea and one that shouldn't even be considered.  Either run a 40's kit or don't.  At this point, it looks like it's going to be the latter of the 2 options and that's how it should be.  Especially considering you don't support certain 40's boards that take up a large portion of those users....
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Slayer77

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 14:12:22 »
I just need 2u shift key in base and icon kit please...

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 15:49:47 »
nice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline add1ct3dd

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 07:36:03 »
FINALLY, YESSSSSSSSS i guess this will be on drop?

"Because the Group Buy will be organized by Originative" ...

As much as I love the design (those new novelties are especially killer), given how the SP and JTK Toxic runs have been handled, I will have to give it a miss so long as Originative or Bunnylake have any involvement in this.

I was originally in that set and sold my order on and skipped any keyboard stuff for years due to the sheer time wasting and pains of that group buy.

Can you give me a summary on Originative? I know I will not enter any group buys with Bunnylake but not sure who Originative are or how they relate :)

Thanks!

Offline 5thoughts

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 20:40:57 »
So...is this a go? I have the jtk set but really would like this set with novelties.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 21:12:50 »

This will go over like a brick....You already complain that not enough 40's users buy into GBs to begin with, and then you want to play with the idea that you could add the kits Mid GB? 

What a horrendous idea and one that shouldn't even be considered.  Either run a 40's kit or don't.  At this point, it looks like it's going to be the latter of the 2 options and that's how it should be.  Especially considering you don't support certain 40's boards that take up a large portion of those users....

I agree with this.

Also, if you just want to add ortho in the base, you just need 4 keys, not including a 2u bar.

R2: Out
R3: Data
R4: shift and enter

Currently Delta and Umbra have taken this approach, as will Copper when it launches.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 00:53:31 »

Also, if you just want to add ortho in the base, you just need 4 keys, not including a 2u bar.

R2: Out
R3: Data
R4: shift and enter

Currently Delta and Umbra have taken this approach, as will Copper when it launches.

40% belong into their specific kit and the base kit needs to support only basic layouts. I am staying by this rule. Again if toxic shows great numbers then we might look into introducing 40% kit and a spacebar kit - otherwise not.

Offline piit79

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 01:17:46 »
40% belong into their specific kit and the base kit needs to support only basic layouts. I am staying by this rule. Again if toxic shows great numbers then we might look into introducing 40% kit and a spacebar kit - otherwise not.

Even as ortho user I agree. I dislike bloated base kits.

Honest question as I never ran any keyset ICs. What would be the reason for not offering a certain kit? I mean, you can always cancel it if it doesn't hit MOQ. What am I missing?

Offline menuhin

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 03:20:20 »

Honest question as I never ran any keyset ICs. What would be the reason for not offering a certain kit? I mean, you can always cancel it if it doesn't hit MOQ. What am I missing?

I want to know too.
But my guess is that Originative never wants to order small kits, like the 40%. And their strategy is to order super safe “will surely sell” combination for these sets, mostly just base sets and highlight mods, produce in large number so it’s cheap and then stock them up to sell slowly when they have to.

I don’t think Originative wants to offer 40% therefore, and OP works for them and does not have the real say. I believe.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 05:11:17 »

It's just the same as with ISO (international kit). It does hit its MOQ with specific amount of sold base kits. So it does not make sense to introduce that kit if say only 300 base kits are going to be sold. I can't predict how well GMK Toxic will sell and there are enough other group buys where people will have to make choice what to get.

Offline piit79

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 05:27:15 »
It's just the same as with ISO (international kit). It does hit its MOQ with specific amount of sold base kits. So it does not make sense to introduce that kit if say only 300 base kits are going to be sold. I can't predict how well GMK Toxic will sell and there are enough other group buys where people will have to make choice what to get.

Is that really the case? MOQ of a child kit directly related to the MOQ of the base?

I kind of get your point, but I dislike the pessimistic approach - "this will probably not sell too well, so let's not even try". I realize there's some extra effort needed to put together the kits, but I'd expect it wouldn't be a problem for you as a seasoned set designer.

Anyway, I won't bug you any more. I just have a feeling that if 40s/ortho is not introduced right from the start it's not happening. But as you say, plenty of other sets to choose from...

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 05:38:41 »

Is that really the case? MOQ of a child kit directly related to the MOQ of the base?

I kind of get your point, but I dislike the pessimistic approach - "this will probably not sell too well, so let's not even try". I realize there's some extra effort needed to put together the kits, but I'd expect it wouldn't be a problem for you as a seasoned set designer.

Anyway, I won't bug you any more. I just have a feeling that if 40s/ortho is not introduced right from the start it's not happening. But as you say, plenty of other sets to choose from...
Yes there is a relation between base kit (alphas for sa) and the amount of sold 40% kits. Its between 20 and 10 percent of sold base kits/alphas.

I am not pessimistic but careful. Thus i take the worst case (10%) as the base.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 10:05:35 »
Any thoughts on utilizing R5 in this drop? Completely slipped my mind to bring it up earlier. We need more R5 in GMK drops. Also any eta on GB start? May need to adjust my holiday shopping plans accordingly.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 10:10:26 »
Any thoughts on utilizing R5 in this drop? Completely slipped my mind to bring it up earlier. We need more R5 in GMK drops. Also any eta on GB start? May need to adjust my holiday shopping plans accordingly.

You know i am huge fan of OG rows and i would do it in a heartbeat. However this would also increase the pricing for the already huge base kit (because of the stripe). I thought about this but i kept it in standard row constellation in order to keep the pricing low.

Offline Toxic78

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 15:37:40 »
We looking at a GB soon?