Author Topic: A Comedy of Errors: A Novatouch Review  (Read 5684 times)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
A Comedy of Errors: A Novatouch Review
« on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 12:08:14 »
I am very grateful to be included in the GH novatouch tour and as promised I will share my thoughts on the Novatouch. I cant  find the card reader for my camera so all photos will be taken from google to show you what im talking about. This will also be a short review since I know that there are tons of other reviews up here that will say the same things.

I met up with Abjr to get the board, so thanks to him for getting it to me and buying me some pizza  :p

The Novatouch has quite a few issues that are immediately apparent. For example, using a micro USB port instead of a mini port, essentially forcing you to steel a phone charging cable to string around your desk. It makes no sense that they would implement this here since their other boards (at least from my limited experience) all had mini USB ports. Moreover, this is targeted at a very enthusiast market that is willing to buy custom keycaps so it seems like a major oversight for them to ignore such a simple standard. Another major issue is the coating on the board. While it isn't as bad as their soft touch coating, it still shows wear very prominently and gathers fingerprints rather easily. I wish that they had gone with a texture closer to that of a realforce board.

Other issues are more subtle. For instance, I wish that they hadn't put the CM Storm logo on this board. It doesn't differentiate it from the rest of the line like that. I wish it said Novatouch or had a more interesting graphic that somehow indicated what was so special about it. Furthermore, I wish they hadn't added the design features on the back. Not only are they invisible when the board is on your desk but they seem cheesy and again don't fit the enthusiast model.

Another issues I had with the board was being unable to use bro caps on the F row. I understand that it isn't a standard thing, but it was certainly annoying.

Now for the good stuff:

The feel of the switches seemed very true to the Topre experience from my point of view.With the DSA caps on it felt and sounded more like an HKKB than a Realforce for sure which isnt preferable for me, but was still acceptable. I also think that they did a good job making the board sturdy. It has very little flex and had enough weight to satisfy me. Overall the board performs as you would expect. Im not going to linger on this cause there are many other reviews telling you the same thing.

In conclusion the Novatouch seems like a first generation product, which it is. That said, they could have put way more effort into matching the enthusiast communities standards and providing a solid product at a reasonable price. I would not recommend buying a Novatouch right now, just because it is a hassle with its cable needs, something I cant overlook.

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Re: A Comedy of Errors: A Novatouch Review
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 18:28:28 »
I don't think you can really blame the novatouch for the brocap issue, his stems just can not fit into the topre-mx sliders, and I have a feeling that is the case with all the topre-mx sliders, sadly.

Offline raymogi

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 18:39:29 »
Funny enough, that's the sole reason I decided not get one after thinking for so long.

Haven't gotten any Bros in Topre so I had to buy an mx board to fit it. Was so settled on Novatouch until I read up on google about brocaps not fitting on it.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 19:25:32 »
The type of USB connector is not as big an issue as is its placement. The plug should be under the keyboard like on the QFR, or they should have scrapped the detachable cable all together. The current location looks like it was just put wherever.

Offline mikes41720

• Ranting & Rambling
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 10:01:57 »
My CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i looks almost the same as the Novatouch! The CM Storm logo placement on the back as well as the L-shaped micro USB cable, which I absolutely hate! But glad to hear about your honest opinions. Should there be a Novatouch 2.0, there would be lots of good feedback and improvements to go on.  ;D

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 10:03:43 »
I think the WASD V2 87 also used a micro usb cable, that's the most annoying thing ever.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 10:11:51 »
IMO, the Royal Kludge RC930-87 is the Novatouch done better: Two switch options, standard silencing via rubber/dental bands, MX compatibility, and available backlighting. Only thing it doesn't have is a removable USB cable.

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 15:08:46 »
Only thing it doesn't have is a removable USB cable.

The non-removable cable is the reason why I preferred the RK to the NT.  Also the stabilizers on the RK are way way more silent (had two POM samples.)

CM was one of the first companies to come out with a Uniform MX Green board.  Would like to see NovaTouch do a little something different again and release a 65g-70g NovaTouch.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 17:36:36 »
I think people asked for micro USB. Micro-USB was supposed to be more durable than mini-USB by design: more plug/unplug cycles before it breaks and when it breaks it should be in the cable end which would be cheap to replace. Unfortunately, it turned out that micro USB is often less durable than mini-USB when the comes to sideways forces ...

Cooler Master put the port on its own separate board inside the case so that it could be replaced in case of repair. If the port had been on the underside of the main board then too much wiggle could break the whole keyboard.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 18:01:35 »
I prefer a cable connector on the rear of the case rather than in a recessed area on the bottom of the case. It is much easier to connect and disconnect this way. I also don't mind the micro-USB. My WASD keyboard also has a micro-USB connector.

However, I agree about the NT being a first-generation effort with some rough edges. I had hoped for more. As it is, after installing silencing rings and experimenting with keycaps to produce the best sound, the board is reasonably serviceable. Nevertheless, I find that my HHKB and RF boards give me a better Topre experience. Even so, I have recently purchased a second NT -- there are just too many great-looking keycap sets out there needing a home, and I prefer the NT to any Cherry mx keyboard.

Offline dante

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 28 August 2015, 18:07:48 »
As it is, after installing silencing rings and experimenting with keycaps to produce the best sound, the board is reasonably serviceable.

Maybe there needs to be a sticky of what folks have found as good combinations of o-rings and caps?

One can only hope that the recent "gone dark" attitude means they are doing revisions to the existing product.  I'm beginning to wonder if EliteKeyboards and/or Leopold has some sort of contract on the 55g weighting.  I can't quite grasp what is taking so long to introduce it.