Author Topic: New Star Trek Movie Any Good??  (Read 10704 times)

Offline ozar

New Star Trek Movie Any Good??
« on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 13:00:20 »
I've heard it's very good but haven't seen it yet.  I'm anxious to do so, though.

I was always a bigger Star Trek fan than I was a Star Wars fan.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 13:07:16 »
I have only heard good things about it, but I haven't, personally, seen the movie.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 13:23:52 »
i saw it, it was great entertainment, with the right amount of inside jokes and references while still appealing to non-trekkies.
The actual story is kind of confusing and if you analyze it later you'll probably decide it didnt make much sense, lol. But the good part is that you'll feel entertained anyway. I liked it a lot actually even tho i have some plot-criticisms.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline FunkTrooper

• http://funktrooper.t35.com/
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 13:42:08 »
i saw it, and i thought it was a fantastic film. having never seen anything star trek before (yeah, i know... i know....), i liked the fact that they did the whole origin story thing, as all the superhero movies do these days.  the cynical part of me says the purpose of this film is to introduce star trek to a new generation, thus encouraging them to go and buy loads of box sets. still, it was a great film. i want to see it again. i dunno if it would be good if you know lots about star trek already though.

Offline ozar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 13:45:45 »
Quote from: FunkTrooper;90581
the cynical part of me says the purpose of this film is to introduce star trek to a new generation, thus encouraging them to go and buy loads of box sets.

They might have needed to do it to keep the franchise going, especially now that so many of the original actors are dead, or are getting too old to make more Trek movies.  I'm not even sure if the follow up actors like Picard will ever make another Star Trek movie.

Offline ozar

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 13:54:06 »
Wheaton is all grown up now and is a Linux user, so he's alright by me:

http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/

Offline ozar

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 14:04:21 »
Quote from: ripster;90591
Yeah, I should forgive past transgressions.

Yeah, what's not to like about any of those folks?

Offline ozar

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 14:24:54 »
Quote from: ripster;90595
Let's just say Worf wouldn't make a good "Political Wife".
Show Image

- Ripster

Quite a memorable character he was... I liked Worf in Next Generation and Deep Space Nine, although the later was my least favorite of all the Star Trek sagas.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 14:34:32 »
...this movie sullies the vision of somebody called Gene Roddenberry...

... Gene Roddenberry was the hack who created the Star Trek television show way back in the forties or something.

:laugh:
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/trekkies_bash_new_star_trek_film
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2009, 14:38:50 by Rajagra »

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:02:08 »
Will Wheaton is a huge nerd. He carries a usb drive on his keychains with every single Atari rom that's ever existed lol.

I saw the new Star Trek over the weekend, and it was fantastic. Highly recommend it. I've even heard good things from die hard Trekkies.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:41:56 »
Quote from: ripster;90579
Thanks.  I'm not going to worry about the plot too much.  Enough Action and my teenager will be happy.

Star Trek was never about plot.  
Show Image

Spock's BRAIN Captured!!

- Ripster

ya, its good fun. For what its worth, right now on rotten tomatoes it has one of the highest ratings ever for a new release :)

it was also surprisingly hilarious in some parts.  I mean like laugh-out-loud funny, almost slapstick, but in a really good way.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:44:04 »
Quote from: FunkTrooper;90581
i saw it, and i thought it was a fantastic film. having never seen anything star trek before (yeah, i know... i know....), .

good god, man! good god. *shakes head*
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:51:00 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:45:15 »
Quote from: ripster;90582

Nimoy is different.  Always liked him off screen too.

- Ripster

nimoy is getting *so* old, in this movie he looks like his face is melting.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:47:45 »
Quote from: ozar;90583
 I'm not even sure if the follow up actors like Picard will ever make another Star Trek movie.

i heard that TNG cast said no more movies for them (or were told that by the studio). WHich is a pity because TNG was possibly better than the original series (I mean in character development and appeal). TNG was certainly light years better than the three spinoffs that followed after that.
Its too bad they werent able to spin TNG crew into like 10 movies. If the movies had been half as good as the TNG series, that would have been pretty awesome. Instead they did two or three mediocre-to-bad films with the TNG cast and that was it. Kind of a waste.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:50:01 »
Quote from: o2dazone;90607
Will Wheaton is a huge nerd. He carries a usb drive on his keychains with every single Atari rom that's ever existed lol.

nice to know he's stuck in the 80's like me. :)  You should see my cd collection.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:53:38 »
love Shaun of the Dead
derailssss

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:56:52 »
Quote from: wellington1869;90625
good god, man! good god. *shakes head*

I may have watched a movie or two (of the original cast) when I was a kid, but I never really got into Star Trek, either.  I'm not much of a Science Fiction person, anyway.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 15:58:48 »
Quote from: itlnstln;90633
I may have watched a movie or two (of the original cast) when I was a kid, but I never really got into Star Trek, either.  I'm not much of a Science Fiction person, anyway.

I actually spent a summer trying to get my sister to watch and like TNG (back when it was still on) because I couldnt believe any sane person could resist its charm. Didnt work.  I concluded she wasnt sane. ;)

Offline ozar

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 16:01:57 »
I didn't think I cared for Star Trek: Voyager when it first came out, but I tried it in reruns a few years back and grew to enjoy it quite a lot.  I don't suppose any of that cast has ever come back for a movie.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 May 2009, 16:54:13 »
Quote from: wellington1869;90634
I actually spent a summer trying to get my sister to watch and like TNG (back when it was still on) because I couldnt believe any sane person could resist its charm. Didnt work. I concluded she wasnt sane. ;)

I know I'm insane.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 20:43:35 »
she packed my bags last night

pre flight
I <3 BS

Offline bigpook

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 20:49:25 »
Quote from: wheel83;91148
she packed my bags last night

pre flight

Shatner is the Man!

check it
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 15 May 2009, 21:57:15 »
thats a classic :)
Family guy did a hilarious spoof on it with stewie playing shatner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvD-QyM3v2A

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 00:36:16 »
Quote from: wellington1869;91164
thats a classic :)
Family guy did a hilarious spoof on it with stewie playing shatner.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvD-QyM3v2A

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 01:26:25 »
Damnit, Jim, you're an actor not a singer!

Legendary stuff.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 16 May 2009, 13:32:37 »
Quote from: Rajagra;91181
Damnit, Jim, you're an actor not a singer!

lol!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 00:45:55 »
Just watched it again for the second time. It's was just as good too, picked up on a few things I didn't see the first time.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 01:37:13 »
Quote from: o2dazone;91299
Just watched it again for the second time. It's was just as good too, picked up on a few things I didn't see the first time.

like what?

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 02:36:56 »
a tribble on scottys desk in Delta Vega :)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 06:10:25 »
Quote from: o2dazone;91311
a tribble on scottys desk in Delta Vega :)

you're not serious?!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 12:54:28 »
Serious what? That I didn't catch it the first time? lol its true!

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 19:57:23 »
glad the fam enjoyed it!  it made another 40-50 million over the weekend, which is great for the second week.

agreed totally with your points #1 and #2.  As for closing credits, i'm glad they went with the TNG version, lol.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 May 2009, 20:35:12 »
lol, alright you can have your damn bongos ;)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 18:47:40 »
no, worst trek movie ever.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 21:29:14 »
I wrote this up before.  I'll just copy and paste.

The following are excerpts from my rant in the comment threads on one of William Shatner's videos about this movie, on youtube, so some of it may not make sense in this context, but I don't want to write it all up again:

They destroyed Vulcan, Romulus, coincidentally marooned Spock and Kirk on the same planet, making Spock do something completely out of character, I don't care how "emotionally compromised" he was, totally raped starship design, and Nimoy's acting was unfortunately below par and without character development. Sad horrible star trek. It's like the saying goes, "odd number treks suck." Personally I plan to ignore this incarnation of Trek. Sad and disappointing.

Oh yeah, Scotty too. How ridiculous of a plot point. Of all the billions of planets in the universe, Scotty, Kirk, and Spock time traveling to the past, who the guy who was out to kill him, lets him live and maroons him on a planet that Kirk just happens to have been marooned on by Spock, in an out of character action, and just happened to have Scotty there. roflol So insanely stupid.

Oh yeah.. And then to get the characters back on the enterprise, not only does he have Scotty create a transporter that can beam them onto a starship traveling at warp, but one that's who knows how many parsecs away already? Why do they even need starships in the first place if Scotty can invent a trans parsec transporter!???? roflol JUST STUPID!!!

They should call this movie "Signs Trek", full of so many plot holes the movie doesn't many any sense, but still is a hit because of the reputation of the writer. Still getting
good reviews and idiots still liking it too. roflol

Signs still scored reasonably at the box office because of the reputation of the writer, which is what my comment was about. Trek is obviously still doing well because it's Trek and because of Abrams both.

The MAIN problem with this movie is. How do you continue Star Trek based on this movie at all? How to continue trek with no Vulcan, or in the original timeframe honoring this movie with no Romulus?? And some Supernova's that's threatened the galaxy that who knows what happened, is Earth destroyed too since Spock failed? How do you continue in a universe where intra parsec warp beaming is possible. What point do starships even have in that kind of universe except as military vessels.

What point does warp even have? Why not just beam a ship across the universe?

There are fan fic productions of Star trek that are better than this steaming pile of terd.

It is like they're going back and bastardizing the old ones. If this is the future of trek it's completely wrong. This movie should have boosted the Trek franchise and made it interesting again, instead they just stomped on trek some more. I do watch the past movies and series religiously, almost everyday. I won't ever watch that movie again though. roflol

I'm pissed it didn't have Rand in it too. I mean the least they coulda done is get some hot chick to be Rand, that woulda at least added a bit more sex appeal to the movie. roflol

I mean, if you're going to rewrite Trek in an alternate universe, why not put Rand in it and have her and Kirk get together that was stolen from them in the original series. Instead they made Spock fall in love with Uhura!!! The insanity. This movie should be called, "Spocks wild dream." roflol It all happened in Spocks mind. Yup, that's the way out of this pittful movie. roflol

Kirk kisses Uhura!!!! Not SPOCK!!! wth!?!?!

JJ couldn't have done better than to write a movie that was titled, "Let's piss off star trek fans." I mean how to you invalidate a historical and important moment of history as the first black woman kissing a white man on tv, by making Uhura kiss Spock instead of Kirk!! This movie was just wrong on every level.

I mean, if you look at it, Shatner and Nimoy it's said used to have arguments over who was the main character in Star Trek. It's said that Shatner got mad because Nimoy was always upstaging him and taking lines and was always more popular. This movie was like a total slap in the face of Shatner. It totally made Kirk a second banana to Spock. This movie was like 95% about Spock. It's insulting and sad.

The only way out of this movie is to have Kirk or Spock wake up from a bad dream and go, wow what a sucky horrible dream. lol

I call Temporal Prime Directive!!!!! on this stupid movie. roflol
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2009, 21:39:45 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline chimera15

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 22:32:31 »
hehe
Alps boards:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 22:32:52 »
lol. my friend who saw the movie with me didnt like it at all either. I rather liked it, thought it was fun despite my quibbles with the plot (which ripster summed up well).  I even liked the way they dropped the uhura-spock thing on us. who saw that coming? lol.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 22:39:21 »
Quote from: ripster;91528
Boy, you REALLY didn't like it.  Well, let's hope the "odd numbered awful Star Trek" rule applies and you like the second better.

Hopefully the next movie will have the enterprise J timeship come back from the 26th century and execute all those idiots and put the time line back to the way it should be. lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2009, 22:42:49 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 22:43:07 »
Quote from: chimera15;91539
Hopefully the next movie will have the enterprise J timeship come back from the 26th century and execute all those idiots and put the time line back to the way it should be. lol

lol! that would actually be a cool plot ;)
For that matter they could come back to the 21st century and execute J.J. Abrahms.  ;)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 22:49:19 »
Quote from: wellington1869;91541
lol! that would actually be a cool plot ;)
For that matter they could come back to the 21st century and execute J.J. Abrahms.  ;)

roflol
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:05:50 »
Quote from: ripster;91545
I heard an Abrams interview on NPR and he knew what he was walking into with the Trekkies.   One woman called in and loudly shouted out a major spoiler (hint:  had to do with Spock relative) and how that couldn't be because it would ruin episode XX.  That pissed me off since I was able to avoid all spoilers until then.

To defend Abrams he really kept emphasizing the characters and their motivations in the interview.  

As I said earlier, I don't think Star Trek was ever about plot.  It had bold social issues to explore.  It had cool techology and you have to admit that old Enterprise looked pretty nice in this movie.  Lastly it had miniskirts - we're talking formative years here.

It had really horrible ugly long skirted skants that didn't have any of the style of the original ones.

I thought the enterprise looked like an old stove, let alone Kirk's father's ship.  The nacelle's looked idiotic. They completely didn't get warp drive at all, they treated it like it was some kinda giant rocket or something.

They also stole movie designs directly which was the only part that looked good, and too early to be right even if it was an alternate timeline.

They explored no social issues, and the technology was just rehash of what's capable today.

It's like he purposely just wrote this movie to piss Trekkie's off.  Nothing about it is right, including the parts that should be that should be part of the original timeline. It's like he saw 2 episodes from the series, and 2 or 3 of the movies and just decided to say, "screw it, I'm never going to understand anything about Star Trek, so let's just build a new universe that's a hodgepodge."  It's embarrassing and insulting to fans and to Star Trek in general.

You see it especially how they shoehorned Checkov onto the bridge when he didn't come in till much much later.. I mean 17 and on the bridge? Maybe on the Enterprise D, but not in tos days. lol
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:26:03 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:36:29 »
I will say the one redeeming scene of the movie was the Kirk kobayashi maru cheating scene, but the writer totally copped out after that.  In the original timeline he's rewarded for his "original thinking" not brought up on charges and nearly thrown out of the academy like he was in this movie.  It's like a comment on our times that hacking is wrong and illegal instead of inventive and important..what a horrible message.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:48:38 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:38:57 »
Lastly it had miniskirts - we're talking formative years here.

Thank god for the miniskirt. Funny thing --

"She had hair like jeannie shrimpton back in 1965"

So I happened to be listening to the smithereens song, and went to wikipedia to look up who the heck "jeannie" shrimpton was and what was she doing in 1965?  I must say I was pretty impressed with ms. Shrimpton:

Among other things, she apparently launched the miniskirt craze after wearing one to a horse racing show in australia. :)

Yea, I know, but did I really need a reason to post that lovely pic? ;)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:52:26 »
Quote from: wellington1869;91555

So I happened to be listening to the smithereens song, and went to wikipedia to look up who the heck "jeannie" shrimpton was and what was she doing in 1965?  I must say I was pretty impressed with ms. Shrimpton:

Show Image

Among other things, she apparently launched the miniskirt craze after wearing one to a horse racing show in australia. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmGdi8_Gx7w

Hahahahaha
Alps boards:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 18 May 2009, 23:57:21 »
Quote from: chimera15;91557

Hahahahaha

lol, why?! good god.

Offline chimera15

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2009, 00:02:59 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 00:12:45 »
ah, much better. ;)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 00:50:04 »
Quote from: wellington1869;91555

Show Image

The original will always be the best.  lol

Alps boards:

Offline pmyshkin

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 02:06:23 »
Quote from: chimera15;91557
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmGdi8_Gx7w

Hahahahaha

That is beyond disturbing. The guy will probably end up kidnapping the entire cast of the movie and making a dress out of their skin.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 03:29:56 »
Quote from: chimera15;91525
I wrote this up before.  I'll just copy and paste.

Wait ... there were spoilers in there weren't there? You just ruined the film for me! lol.

Still, sounds like the plot is best ignored anyway. It's like Star Wars episode 1 all over again.

As an aside I've started watching the "Enterprise" series. It's pretty good, I don't know why it was so unpopular.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #50 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 04:18:56 »
I took one listen to the Enterprise series opening theme song and I refused to watch any episodes after that ;)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 08:15:42 »
Quote from: Rajagra;91569
Wait ... there were spoilers in there weren't there? You just ruined the film for me! lol.

Still, sounds like the plot is best ignored anyway. It's like Star Wars episode 1 all over again.

As an aside I've started watching the "Enterprise" series. It's pretty good, I don't know why it was so unpopular.

They took an entire season and maybe even a half on the zindi plotline which ruined it.  You could predict what was going to happen every week, and it was just like this movie, a timeline that never existed in the real star trek universe, so people got bored.    It's a lot more interesting in reruns because it's not so torturous, but even so, half the series is about the zindi and invalid and boring.  The enterprise J did come back and fix that timeline. lol

They finally got out of the alternate timeline and started to do some interesting shows that were actually explaining a lot of interesting things and fit with the real timeline and actually referred back to it when the series was canceled, which is why there was a huge fan uproar.

All in all though, it didn't really understand the true spirit of star trek, and what people tuned in each week for, to explore new places and new ideas.  Star Trek was a great series because anyone could submit a plotline within the architecture and have their show be aired.  So it became a great way to discover writers and those writers had interesting things to say.  They stopped that after TNG which was a huge mistake.  The entire concept of going back and re imagining Star trek,  just like in this movie, is flawed within the Star trek universe, because the show isn't about "Boldly Going Where Others Have Been Before". lol

The only way out for Star Trek if it's ever going to be interesting again is go to the 27th century and explore the time wars and such, but it seems it's beyond the scope of creativity of writers these days.

It's sad, but without Roddenberry, the Star Trek franchise has just degenerated into a money making title that's getting beaten for money, and lost any significance that it once had.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2009, 08:53:29 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 09:51:34 »
Webwit, is that your girl in your avatar, or are you just letting some random girl have casual relations with your laptop?  Either way, she is mighty fine.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 10:30:20 »
Quote from: webwit;91608
I watched an episode of Enterprise once, I think. In the beginning this guy has to get out to do some repairs to the hull. Then he gets his foot stuck. There was some time limit involved or he would die. Then they took the whole show to get his foot unstuck. Which, surprise (such suspense!) they managed just before the end. All in all, it was highly inconsequential and mindbogglingly boring.

This is the exact reason why I don't like to watch TV or movies.  I would rather eat; my girl likes that better than TV, too.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 10:31:31 »
Quote from: webwit;91610
Girl? What girl?

She must've been captured by the ghosts.  You should have given her a power pill.  In some places, that's illegal, though.

Offline chimera15

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 11:02:14 »
From my last post I got an idea.  I took some liberties with the new poster. lol

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 May 2009, 11:12:04 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 11:26:28 »
Quote from: ripster;91594
too harsh.  Just needed bongos!

Sounds like you got a fever...

Offline chimera15

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 11:28:30 »
Quote from: Rajagra;91621
Sounds like you got a fever...

Even more cowbell couldn't have helped this film I'm afraid. lol
Alps boards:

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 12:00:01 »
Quote from: webwit;91626
How can it suck? It's an American movie so surely they did not forget to put a (cinema) psychopath in this movie? If it has a psychopath it must be good.

Strong.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 12:13:00 »
Quote from: webwit;91630
By the way, that Captain in Enterprise freaked me out. I'm sure he was in some hideous soft porn movies. Which is just..weird.

Skinimax... The gateway drug to real porn.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 14:39:13 »
Quote from: chimera15;91587
They took an entire season and maybe even a half on the zindi plotline which ruined it.  You could predict what was going to happen every week, and it was just like this movie, a timeline that never existed in the real star trek universe, so people got bored.    It's a lot more interesting in reruns because it's not so torturous, but even so, half the series is about the zindi and invalid and boring.  The enterprise J did come back and fix that timeline. lol

They finally got out of the alternate timeline and started to do some interesting shows that were actually explaining a lot of interesting things and fit with the real timeline and actually referred back to it when the series was canceled, which is why there was a huge fan uproar.

All in all though, it didn't really understand the true spirit of star trek, and what people tuned in each week for, to explore new places and new ideas.  Star Trek was a great series because anyone could submit a plotline within the architecture and have their show be aired.  So it became a great way to discover writers and those writers had interesting things to say.  They stopped that after TNG which was a huge mistake.  The entire concept of going back and re imagining Star trek,  just like in this movie, is flawed within the Star trek universe, because the show isn't about "Boldly Going Where Others Have Been Before". lol

The only way out for Star Trek if it's ever going to be interesting again is go to the 27th century and explore the time wars and such, but it seems it's beyond the scope of creativity of writers these days.

It's sad, but without Roddenberry, the Star Trek franchise has just degenerated into a money making title that's getting beaten for money, and lost any significance that it once had.

you really have strong feelings about star trek, dont you ;)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 19 May 2009, 19:42:04 »
Quote from: wellington1869;91639
you really have strong feelings about star trek, dont you ;)

Hehe.  I'm a total geek nerd.
Alps boards:

Offline IBI

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 15:18:29 »
I went to see it earlier today.

Quote from: ripster;90630
I'm looking forward to seeing Simon Pegg as Scotty.  I love his movies.

Simon pegg as Scottie was the best character as the film, I especially laughed at the line about Admiral Archer's Beagle.

you have to admit that old Enterprise looked pretty nice in this movie.

The ship was a joke, it was not at all like the clean lines of the original. The Kelvin at the start of the film wasn't bad though and the Vulcan supernova buster was really cool.

It wasn't a bad film overall but they didn't really take it anywhere, it largely just seemed like an excuse to have a laugh, it needed some genuine old fashioned peril.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 21 May 2009, 15:24:26 »

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 12:27:58 »
I'm stuck in DC till this evening, so I went and saw Terminator, Wolverine, and Star Trek back-to-back-to-back yesterday afternoon.

I had very low expectations for all three, so I wasn't disappointed.  They were all what I expected (nothing more).  Entertaining enough.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 12:34:45 »
Quote from: ripster;92111
Your eardrums must be blown.
I'm already mostly deaf in my left ear.

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 22 May 2009, 14:22:03 »
That's not funny.  You one sick dude.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2009, 14:31:08 by Stevie Wonder »

Offline chimera15

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 24 May 2009, 18:26:06 »
Quote from: Stevie Wonder;92123
That's not funny.  You one sick dude.

hahahaha
Alps boards: