Author Topic: Best keys?  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Danny356

Best keys?
« on: Sat, 14 January 2012, 23:23:05 »
what keys would last the longest without that greasy look? I ask this because after a year all my das keys have that shinny greasy look and its really bothering me. They also need to be blank

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Best keys?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 01:06:42 »
Quote from: Danny356;490845
what keys would last the longest without that greasy look? I ask this because after a year all my das keys have that shinny greasy look and its really bothering me. They also need to be blank

Quote from: ripster;490847
IBM Model M followed by Topre.
IBM doesn't make keyboards anymore, and I'm not certain that they ever made ones with blank keys.
You can get unprinted PBT keys for IBM from unicomp for like $20/set (super cheap). If you want to get a new keyboard from them with blank keys, I'm sure they will help you out.

PBT keys are very wear-resistant. The IBM/unicomp ones are a little more "rough" than (for example) the signature plastics PBT. I feel like it'd take them longer to smooth out, but I haven't verified this.

If you don't want a new keyboard, it's pretty easy to get blank PBT keys for your DAS.

Offline Danny356

Best keys?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 01:12:16 »
Quote from: ripster;490847
IBM Model M followed by Topre.
isnt the spacebar pbt tho T_T

and i meant what is the most durable for cherrys

Offline dorkvader

Best keys?
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 03:45:40 »
Quote from: Danny356;490888
isnt the spacebar pbt tho T_T

and i meant what is the most durable for cherrys
IBM/unicomp have PBT spacebars: Topre have ABS (oh no!)

I'd recommend (as I said) some blank PBT keycaps, for example at the URL below:
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?24621-Interest-Check-KBC-104-PBT-Cherry-MX-Key-Caps-UPDATE

Offline Danny356

Best keys?
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 17:25:01 »
what im asking is, is PBT the only option i have to replace my daskeyboard keys or is there a higher quality plastic

Offline Pylon

Best keys?
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 January 2012, 17:46:34 »
Generally PBT is your best option. Generally ABS, POM, and PBT are used to make keycaps, though I reckon some really cheap rubber domes use polystyrene (PS).

Offline dorkvader

Best keys?
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 00:42:46 »
Quote from: Danny356;491232
what im asking is, is PBT the only option i have to replace my daskeyboard keys or is there a higher quality plastic
I liken this to asking "Is titanium the only option, or is there a better metal for my chair?" I really like PBT, as it's much harder than ABS. Generally speaknig there are some ways you can "upgrade" from ABS: PBT is my favourite. Other common ones are Doubleshots (preferably thick ones), POM (which I haven't tried, but don't think I'd prefer) or metal.

Quote from: Pylon;491245
Generally PBT is your best option. Generally ABS, POM, and PBT are used to make keycaps, though I reckon some really cheap rubber domes use polystyrene (PS).
There's also one keyboard that uses Nylon (zowie celeritas) if the wiki can be believed.

---
If you want cold keycaps, there are blank silver and gold metal sets for sale in the GB forum, though I hear qtan will start carrying them in his store soon as well.

Offline vortex

Best keys?
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 07:50:07 »
you can search Vortex Keyboard in FackBook ,

you can find PBT keycaps with Sublimation printing

Quote from: Danny356;490845

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Best keys?
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 07:50:46 »
Welcome to GeekHack vortex! How were you guys able to sublimate black keys?

Offline vortex

Best keys?
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 07:57:00 »
Yes, You got it !!

104/105 sublimation printing in Cherry MX switch,

BTW, I want post some picture in geekhack , But I can't do that ,

anyone can tell me , how I can do that ?

Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

Thanks

Quote from: keyboardlover;491594
Welcome to GeekHack vortex! How were you guys able to sublimate black keys?

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Best keys?
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 January 2012, 08:05:15 »
Sorry there's a rule that you have to get to a certain post count to post images. PM iMav (the admin) for more info.

Nice work on the keys.