Author Topic: PBT key caps?  (Read 5126 times)

Offline biszarerabbit

PBT key caps?
« on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 20:20:30 »
Hey geekhack, I'm new around these parts, and I just got my first mechanical keyboard (cm storm quickfire with mx cherry blues)! I already replaced that tacky "quickfire" space bar with a black blank from wasd keyboards, and am currently considering replacing the letter keys with these: http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/37-pbt-color-key-caps-mechanic/lid=18974569 in the purple blue color. I was wondering if it is worth it and what is the major differences between ABS and PBT material key caps? I am also considering getting one of those wire key cap pullers instead of that plastic thing my keyboard came with; are the wire key cap pullers worth it? Any advice would be much appreciated!~

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
PBT key caps?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 20:35:33 »
ABS and PBT have a different feel and look to them. Look in the wiki for more information.

As for the wire pullers, yes definitely get it over the plastic pullers because you'll risk scratching your keycaps with the plastic puller.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
PBT key caps?
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 21:35:57 »
And also you should definitely check out this thread, PBT vs. ABS keys.

Btw, welcome to Geekhack! =P
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline biszarerabbit

PBT key caps?
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 22:50:57 »
thanks!

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
PBT key caps?
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 March 2012, 23:01:20 »
^ You're welcome.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline captain

PBT key caps?
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 16:27:06 »
I'll gladly take your storm keycaps off your hands if you don't like them. I know that few do, but I like those wacky fonts. :-)
Welcome to geekhack -- where we like to type -- but don't care so much about reading.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
PBT key caps?
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 16:37:29 »
Quote from: thegunner100;533539
ABS and PBT have a different feel and look to them. Look in the wiki for more information.

As for the wire pullers, yes definitely get it over the plastic pullers because you'll risk scratching your keycaps with the plastic puller.

I've got one of each and I actually prefer the plastic puller. The wire puller can notch the skirt of the key because of the small contact area putting a lot of pressure in one place. Also, I find that the plastic puller is much faster to use.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
PBT key caps?
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 March 2012, 16:38:44 »
Quote from: captain;534175
I'll gladly take your storm keycaps off your hands if you don't like them. I know that few do, but I like those wacky fonts. :-)

I have a set of unused CM quickfire keycap set(without the chinese characters) if you'd like to purchase it from me :D
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!