Author Topic: Any other company sell full customized sets like WASD?  (Read 2877 times)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
Any other company sell full customized sets like WASD?
« on: Wed, 17 December 2014, 02:30:53 »
I've been looking around, but it seems like WASD is the only company that allow you to fully customize all the keys with any color (that they allow), so you don't have to buy a bunch of different sets with redundant or useless keycaps. Are there any other companies that also do this?

For those of you haven't seen WASD's fully customizable keyset, take a look here:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-v2-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

The only thing lacking with the WASD customization is the color selection is a bit limited. I would prefer a wider range of available colors (ideally both keycaps and legends).

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
Re: Any other company sell full customized sets like WASD?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 December 2014, 08:29:58 »
Signature Plastics/PMK sell individual keys in their overstock section. I've purchased a few from them.

They also sell individual DSA PBT blanks.

Other than that, I can't think of anyone who sells individual keys (Unicomp does, if you want buckling spring caps). I'm fairly certain WASD are the only ones to offer fully custom printing on individual orders.

I used Signature Plastics when I was buying caps for my JD40, so I could get the extra caps lock key for it as well as some differently coloured WASD and modifier keys to go with the sets I purchased.

Their support is really friendly and helpful!

I also found their caps to be of a much higher quality than the blank black set I have from WASD.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 15:31:25 »
Thanks for the info.

I wonder why no one else is doing what WASD is doing with the fully customized sets. Some competition is always a good thing (for the sake of variety, and to spur innovation).

Offline butthash

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 14:47:01 »
I've actually been considering one of those sets from wasd. Does anyone have any info about their quality?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 15:04:19 »
WASD keys are very thin, and light. In my experience they feel cheaper than anything else, even than stock keycaps on most keyboards. Also their legends are made with the cheapest method available, you have to see them along with high quality caps like original key caps from Cherry to understand how low quality they are. Some people have decided to live with that for very special projects for example custom made legends.

Offline butthash

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 15:07:25 »
WASD keys are very thin, and light. In my experience they feel cheaper than anything else, even than stock keycaps on most keyboards. Also their legends are made with the cheapest method available, you have to see them along with high quality caps like original key caps from Cherry to understand how low quality they are. Some people have decided to live with that for very special projects for example custom made legends.

Hmm this is definitely making me reconsider, thanks for the info. Just seemed like the easiest way to get a set of caps exactly how I wanted without having to piece sets together.

Offline Lunatique

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:30:32 »

Really? Are you basing your comment on past WASD keycap production methods or the latest? On their site, they describe a different process:
http://support.wasdkeyboards.com/customer/portal/articles/1385384-uv-printing

Isn't UV printing supposed to be one of the more durable legend printing methods?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 19:56:09 »
You should order some and see if you like them better than double shots, or die sublimated legends on thick ABS or PBT, you may like them.

WASD flexibility to supply you with key caps in the sizes, colors, and legends you exactly need is great, however they use a printing process for the legends on ABS very thin plastic. They used laser etching before and now they are using UV printing with a coating over the printed legends.

Personally, I do prefer Cherry ABS DS, SP DSA ABS DS, and SP DSA PBT sublimated that are very bold legends on material that is thick enough for my preference. I dont like any thinner caps than SP DSA. But again, it is a personal matter.

And as you said I do not like much to buy full sets to just to get the caps I need for my boards and have a lot of leftovers, but I prefer that than to get just the caps I need in a profile, or thickness, or with legends I do not really like.

Ah, one more thing: WASD profile is a little bit taller than Cherry, and shorter than OEM profile, just for you to be aware of it, it may, or may not bother you.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 December 2014, 20:01:31 by ideus »

Offline butthash

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 December 2014, 20:40:25 »
You should order some and see if you like them better than double shots, or die sublimated legends on thick ABS or PBT, you may like them.

WASD flexibility to supply you with key caps in the sizes, colors, and legends you exactly need is great, however they use a printing process for the legends on ABS very thin plastic. They used laser etching before and now they are using UV printing with a coating over the printed legends.

Personally, I do prefer Cherry ABS DS, SP DSA ABS DS, and SP DSA PBT sublimated that are very bold legends on material that is thick enough for my preference. I dont like any thinner caps than SP DSA. But again, it is a personal matter.

And as you said I do not like much to buy full sets to just to get the caps I need for my boards and have a lot of leftovers, but I prefer that than to get just the caps I need in a profile, or thickness, or with legends I do not really like.

Ah, one more thing: WASD profile is a little bit taller than Cherry, and shorter than OEM profile, just for you to be aware of it, it may, or may not bother you.

Thanks for the info. I think I will probably hold off for now, hopefully get another keyboard that is easier to buy caps for. Pure Pro has quite a few peculiarities that lead me to WASD's custom tool in the first place.

Offline PhatCraqHo

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 18:13:59 »
Useful info here, thanks!