Author Topic: Anybody knows about Riches Technology keycaps from Taiwan?  (Read 2819 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
Anybody knows about Riches Technology keycaps from Taiwan?
« on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:06:50 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyboard-keycaps-Brown-coating-Cherry-MX-Blank-keycaps-104-Set-/321644304148?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae37e9714

These don't look good and their description doesn't give me much confidence. However, I can't discount the possibility that they may produce good stuff in the future, so I'm offering the link and hoping to stimulate some discussion.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Anybody knows about Riches Technology keycaps from Taiwan?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 10:10:57 »
Need bottom shots to see thickness. The box is mildly interesting.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 11:38:07 »
Odds are they are nothing more than run of the mill OEM profile thin ABS keys... and they are painted  :confused: which is a terrible idea for longevity. The packaging is top notch though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 19:21:52 »
The Peach Blossom sets look sweet!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 January 2015, 23:50:02 »
Too expensive for blank ABS caps, even in those colours. And painted.... that sucks.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 06:46:37 »
Too expensive for blank ABS caps, even in those colours. And painted.... that sucks.

I didn't exactly think it was 'technology'. Can't help but wonder if one of our Taiwanese GHers will tell us that Riches Techhology operates out of an ancient decrepit residence shared with people who manufacture Chinese sausages and people who make stinky tofu. That'll be funny, dyeing the keycaps with some muck produced by sausage manufacturing.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 08:46:56 »
They replied to my message saying caps are high quality made in Taiwan and not to worry about what the underside looked like. :facepalm: 

Bunch of jokesters.

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 January 2015, 09:09:16 »
They replied to my message saying caps are high quality made in Taiwan and not to worry about what the underside looked like. :facepalm: 

Bunch of jokesters.

If in one week I don't hear anything good about them, I'll lock this thread and conclude in the OP that these guys (or guy) are sleazy and we should stay away until there is solid contradictory evidence (such as someone buying from them and having a good experience).

One suspicion is that they may have bought secondhand Razer and Cooler Master keycaps for ultra cheap, then painted them, and now hope to find suckers to sell to.

I just don't want to draw negative conclusions too quickly. There are tens of thousands of plastics factories in Taiwan. Someone may be serious about entering this business, and may actually have the time and interest to produce customized keycaps.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:17:33 »
They replied again with this photo saying they are indeed serious about making keycaps.  ???

Offline berserkfan

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:54:42 »
Spamray, that looks a lot like very thin ABS from logitech. I wonder if they picked up theirs from the same source as Logitech. If so the keycaps aren't going to survive some furious typing from coders or gamers.

Offline Data

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 09:58:08 »
They replied again with this photo saying they are indeed serious about making keycaps.  ???

(Attachment Link)

Do not want.   :-X

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 19 January 2015, 10:04:31 »
After that photo, no thanks.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 20 January 2015, 17:30:43 »

(Attachment Link)
dear lord nope
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"