Author Topic: An open letter to BroCaps  (Read 42406 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: An open letter to BroCaps
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:12:40 »
Please forgive my ignorance. 

I don't really know the whole story - mostly to me being a nobody in this keyboard world of somebodies.

But I do know enough that I hope to one day be able to purchase a few of Bro Caps pieces of art (I say art because he has what it takes to do what he does, I do not). 

I was initially worried to read (again form what i garnished form this thread and letter) that Bro Caps were going to become super exclusive and only intended for the more elite members of the wider community - believe that my view on this is wrong, i certainly hope so. 

I don't really have an opinion that carries much merit and probably a lot of what i know is likely not fact, but the @OP i think your letter says a great deal about your passion, but don't be upset when other people don't have the same opinion as you.   @BroCaps, I have only really started to learn about the work you have done for this community and I could see that as a great responsibility that others may take for granted, please don't stop doing what you do as I'd really love to see some new caps and perhaps own some of them.

Thanks
H

OP was suggesting that the restriction of 100 posts on GH means that only the elite of the elite keyboard society will be able to obtain the ever exclusive bros.

I knew some people on other forums that had 100 posts PER DAY. I was running about 35 posts per day keeping some help threads running and general talking.

There are so many opportunities to comment on GH.

Go look at pictures and talk about the process the photographer took. Go look at custom builds and have a good discussion about design choices. Go write a review and have a discussion about your review (or go discuss someone else's).

Thanks for setting me straight there.

Yeah 100 posts on GH isn't really a hard target, I'm over halfway there and mostly talk utter rubbish and completely clueless when it comes to this hobby we all share. 

My only concern from the OP's letter was that I Bro Cap was withdrawing completely or selectively providing his services to those he deemed worthy.

Now that's settled I'm off to look at some more HHKB pictures and leave them discreetly lying around so the girlfriend picks up on the notion that i would like one.  :D

H
If you want to know what bro caps said it's best to read what he wrote.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59295.msg1905738.msg#1905738

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:20:30 »
IMO promoting the community and discussions within it is a much more important value to a community leader.

If he made keys for everyone regardless of value to the community then he'd be more of a communist leader.

Vote for Communism, Vote for BroCaps 2020 Election

Offline hudson0804

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:21:02 »
Please forgive my ignorance. 

I don't really know the whole story - mostly to me being a nobody in this keyboard world of somebodies.

But I do know enough that I hope to one day be able to purchase a few of Bro Caps pieces of art (I say art because he has what it takes to do what he does, I do not). 

I was initially worried to read (again form what i garnished form this thread and letter) that Bro Caps were going to become super exclusive and only intended for the more elite members of the wider community - believe that my view on this is wrong, i certainly hope so. 

I don't really have an opinion that carries much merit and probably a lot of what i know is likely not fact, but the @OP i think your letter says a great deal about your passion, but don't be upset when other people don't have the same opinion as you.   @BroCaps, I have only really started to learn about the work you have done for this community and I could see that as a great responsibility that others may take for granted, please don't stop doing what you do as I'd really love to see some new caps and perhaps own some of them.

Thanks
H

OP was suggesting that the restriction of 100 posts on GH means that only the elite of the elite keyboard society will be able to obtain the ever exclusive bros.

I knew some people on other forums that had 100 posts PER DAY. I was running about 35 posts per day keeping some help threads running and general talking.

There are so many opportunities to comment on GH.

Go look at pictures and talk about the process the photographer took. Go look at custom builds and have a good discussion about design choices. Go write a review and have a discussion about your review (or go discuss someone else's).

Thanks for setting me straight there.

Yeah 100 posts on GH isn't really a hard target, I'm over halfway there and mostly talk utter rubbish and completely clueless when it comes to this hobby we all share. 

My only concern from the OP's letter was that I Bro Cap was withdrawing completely or selectively providing his services to those he deemed worthy.

Now that's settled I'm off to look at some more HHKB pictures and leave them discreetly lying around so the girlfriend picks up on the notion that i would like one.  :D

H
If you want to know what bro caps said it's best to read what he wrote.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59295.msg1905738.msg#1905738

Thank you.

Also, I now want a lycan keycap.. :S

H

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:22:01 »
I found this at the top of my new replies list this morning, I had mixed feelings reading the recent replies, a few empathized with the guy, most others reinforce their hate. Something is clear, some fellows here are elitist in the sense they do not have any shame to show their hard feeling against someone that does not share the same opinion, that is by definition discrimination, lack of tolerance and disrespect. America is made of the opposite, it is a great mixture of cultures and talents. This hidden corner of the world is not the same with this lack of openness, and excessive zeal for the wrong reasons. The guy made a mistake and he did it in the wrongest way possible, so what, let's be it, forgive him and move on.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:27:01 by ideus »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:23:05 »
Elite of the elite.

Show Image

Not a pok3r

Scrub

not a hhkb

scrub

not a scrub

pok3r
Not a 45689900c "master of almost half of a budget of a small country - LUBED and Flipped "
Scrub
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:43:49 »
I found this at the top of my new replies list this morning, I had mixed feelings reading the recent replies, a few empathized with the guy, most others reinforce their hate. Something is clear, some fellows here are elitist in the sense they do not have any shame to show their hard feeling against someone that does not share the same opinion, that is by definition discrimination, lack of tolerance and disrespect. America is made of the opposite, it is a great mixture of cultures and talents. This hidden corner of the world is not the same with this lack of openness, and excessive zeal for the wrong reasons. The guy did a mistake and he did it in the wrongest way possible, so what, let's be it, forgive him and move on.

I know you're not directing your comment only to me but I am in that group that you're talking about.
This is more of a statement example.

Like others have mentioned the letter was just emotionally driven and had gross overexaggerations. It also mentioned "us" as if he's speaking on behalf of the rest of the community.

There was poor logic in his argument.

If he had thought it out and made a more logical argument without the aim to hurt Bro's reputation it would probably have been taken better by the community.

"This is an open letter regarding the change in the rules requiring entrants in future bro sales to have 100 posts on GH.

I think that this is unfair for the following reasons:

1) There are other communities of equal value to the hobby. Saying that the discussions had on /r/MK are of less value than those of GH for the hobby is insulting. A big portion of the posts are done in Off-topic on GH where members can farm post count anyway while a lot of thediscussion on /r/MK is directly related to keyboards.

2) The required post count is arbitrary as there's no guarantee the posts will generate relevant content. As I mentioned earlier, the posts can be done in unrelated sections of GH.

For these reasons I think that Bro is not making a valuable change in the community through his new rules and they should be changed to either accept similar contributions in other communities relating to this hobby or abolosihed altogether."

See how different that could have been written?

I don't even think that OP mentioned the change in the rule and just went on to say that Bro let down everyone and is just pandering to elites.

Yea, okay.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:44:15 »
I found this at the top of my new replies list this morning, I had mixed feelings reading the recent replies, a few empathized with the guy, most others reinforce their hate. Something is clear, some fellows here are elitist in the sense they do not have any shame to show their hard feeling against someone that does not share the same opinion, that is by definition discrimination, lack of tolerance and disrespect. America is made of the opposite, it is a great mixture of cultures and talents. This hidden corner of the world is not the same with this lack of openness, and excessive zeal for the wrong reasons. The guy made a mistake and he did it in the wrongest way possible, so what, let's be it, forgive him and move on.

legit made me burst out laughing

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:47:41 »
1) There are other communities of equal value to the hobby. Saying that the discussions had on /r/MK are of less value than those of GH for the hobby is insulting. A big portion of the posts are done in Off-topic on GH where members can farm post count anyway while a lot of thediscussion on /r/MK is directly related to keyboards.

I know the point you were trying to make, and your example letter would have been far better received. But in reality, posts in "Off Topic" do not add to your displayed post count.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:50:00 »

legit made me burst out laughing

Really?   :))

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:53:27 »
TL;DR

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:53:37 »
Elite of the elite.

Show Image

Not a pok3r

Scrub

not a hhkb

scrub

not a scrub

pok3r
Not a 45689900c "master of almost half of a budget of a small country - LUBED and Flipped "
Scrub

Bish I'm typing on a GoN

Off centered spacebar master race

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 08:54:48 »
If OP (who hasn't posted since starting this thread btw) put as much effort into posting as into writing that letter, he'd be well on the way to 100 posts.

It's not even that difficult to post - some of us get told off on a fairly regular basis for posting too much - we know who we are :))

If you want something that much, you'll find a way to get it.  Or you'll find an excuse.

Elite of the elite.

Show Image

Not a pok3r

Scrub

not a hhkb

scrub

not a scrub

pok3r

mx?

bye felicia
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:00:10 »
I understand that by making this an open letter he opens himself up to criticism, but there's a not so fine line between criticizing an opinion and disgracing it. Given the context and after reading Bros post I agree with most of you and I respect and support his decision. What I also see however, is a group of influential/active members who are pushing a newer member away because he provided reasoning that you don't agree with. That's not the community that I saw before I joined and led me to want to be a part of it. I know I'm probably being over-sensitive here but some of the language in this thread really rubbed me the wrong way.

He's probably buried his head in the sand forever now though, so congratulations?
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:06:57 by mobbo »
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:00:38 »

I know the point you were trying to make, and your example letter would have been far better received. But in reality, posts in "Off Topic" do not add to your displayed post count.

My bad

Still similar. Just change that part to "I can make spammy comments like 'nice review!' to boost my post count"

I don't know what posts are exempt from the post count. I just discuss across different sections and my post count goes up.

Anyway the change doesn't have the same impact but whatever, just an example of what could have been said vs what was actually said.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:18:54 »
I find it funny to see one liner from CapsLockJack in the right threads. Somebody's working hard - but for the wrong intent and purpose :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:20:22 »
All the alt accounts coming out to boost their post count.  :))
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:24:07 by SpAmRaY »

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:24:14 »
I find it funny to see one liner from CapsLockJack in the right threads. Somebody's working hard - but for the wrong intent and purpose :D

In fairness to him, seems all his posts, even those far predating this latest hoopla, have been on the short side. However, in general, I'm sure this up-the-post-count style of posting will be a bit of the new world order for a little bit. It will slow down once most people have got the number.  As someone who doesn't post a lot, I can understand why to some people 100 posts seems daunting. It isn't so bad once you get going, but it can be intimidating to jump in.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:32:05 »

In fairness to him, seems all his posts, even those far predating this latest hoopla, have been on the short side. However, in general, I'm sure this up-the-post-count style of posting will be a bit of the new world order for a little bit. It will slow down once most people have got the number.  As someone who doesn't post a lot, I can understand why to some people 100 posts seems daunting. It isn't so bad once you get going, but it can be intimidating to jump in.

Someone could probably post 100 meaningful posts in a day, if they were motivated to try. But 10/day is easily achievable. That would only take 10 days to reach 100 posts. The spirit of the requirement is that the member become familiar with, and to, the community before jumping into these transactions.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:34:18 »
FWIW I like both communities. I've been on GH for a bit longer than I have r/mk (I think?), and both seem to be pretty solid places in my opinion.

A few bad eggs always spoil the omelette for someone, but I don't think the whole of r/mk should be viewed as a largely negative thing.

Bro can sell his caps however and to whomever he wants. I still don't have one, and I'm not crying and gnashing my teeth at the fact that he's changed his rules around. Businesses, and more importantly people, evolve and adapt, and that's exactly what Bro's doing.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:37:40 by dgneo »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:38:53 »

Someone could probably post 100 meaningful posts in a day, if they were motivated to try. But 10/day is easily achievable. That would only take 10 days to reach 100 posts. The spirit of the requirement is that the member become familiar with, and to, the community before jumping into these transactions.

To make meaningful posts is a good intention; but, the relationship with it and transactions of any sort is not clear.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:42:27 »

You could, I'm sure, but I know I could not! I don't have enough social bandwidth, not to mention, in depth knowledge, to come up with 100 meaningful posts. Hell, I don't even have enough social bandwidth to come up with 100 useless posts! 10 a day can kick my ass. :) For some people coming out of their shell can be very, very hard. On the plus side, once that shell is cracked open things do become easier. I said in a previous post that ironpup should take a step back and look at this from Bro's perspective, because if he can do that, he will see that reasons Bro gave make total sense. However, we should not assume that getting up to 100 posts is easy for someone. I know for me it was NOT. Some people just struggle with it. I know it makes no sense, and I wish I wasn't that way, but it is something that is very much my reality.

FWIW, I credit all of you - people both with a high and low post count here on GH for helping make a change for the better in my ability to socialize. Making the decision to join and and participate here turned out to be a very positive thing for me. I hope that others have the same positive outcome.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline neverused

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:46:33 »

I wonder why every user that is not affected by this rule now comes out and says that "Way to go, Bro. Your product, your rules". But in the end, for them nothing has changed.

I joined geekhack when the "Rustler" sale was going and needed an account here to be able to enter. The fact that i didn`t win doesn`t mean stopped coming back here. But now, with this change, i feel left out, just for being the new guy around here. And you can't say i'm not supporting the maker when 35$ is about 10% of my monthly paycheck. For a keycap.. I wanted that keycap and show my appreaciation of his work.

In the end, i wonder how much this change means to Bro, because until now, with the raffle system, he could manage the amount of time put in this hobby by limiting the amount of caps made each round, or wait a bit longer when it comes to shipping the caps. It's not like we knew how many winners are each time. When the caps are made to order, there is a long waiting period until the shipment is done.

Just my 2 cents on the whole thing..

P.S It's funny to see how people react to someone posting an opinion that they don't agree with. Mentally ill... prick... that's how you help this community grow and welcome new users /s

I stand by my evaluation. People that act entitled, rude, and childish are not desired in this community, so if my comment offends anyone, they can (1) get over it or (2) go away. The community does not need to expand to include the entitled and bratty users of other communities, they can wait until they grow up enough and mature.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:46:43 »
Making the decision to join and and participate here turned out to be a very positive thing for me. I hope that others have the same positive outcome.

That's exactly the goal. We want people to have a positive experience when they come to GH, not just post a few messages to get into an artisan cap sale. Hopefully, the post count requirement will encourage people to actually participate in the forum, and not just buy a bunch of "stuff" to try and seem cool or fit in.

IMO, Making Stuff Together is the best place to farm post count. There are literally hundreds of interesting projects there, of which people could join in on the discussion.

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 09:56:55 »
The idea that it's scary to post to a forum is weird to me.  The anonymous internet is literally the least scary place you could post something since no one knows you and they only have as much impact on your life as you let them.  Every community I've been a part of has also been completely accepting of newcomers as long as they come in wanting to learn instead of coming in like they know everything or are entitled.

As for the post count, I just looked at my history.  It took less than a month to hit 100 posts, about half that if you want to count offs topic posts too.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 10:14:04 »
For all the people crying about changes to bro caps rules

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 10:15:32 »
The idea that it's scary to post to a forum is weird to me.  The anonymous internet is literally the least scary place you could post something since no one knows you and they only have as much impact on your life as you let them.  Every community I've been a part of has also been completely accepting of newcomers as long as they come in wanting to learn instead of coming in like they know everything or are entitled.

As for the post count, I just looked at my history.  It took less than a month to hit 100 posts, about half that if you want to count offs topic posts too.

Some communities can suck

I like it here where there are lots of mixes of opinion and views.

Other places are very much "hive mind or gtfo"
(Maybe not so strict or clear but still happens)

Offline Bevo

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 10:20:45 »

Unless you start posting photos of yourself in the Face of GH thread :P

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:15:18 »
I wonder why every user that is not affected by this rule now comes out and says that "Way to go, Bro. Your product, your rules". But in the end, for them nothing has changed.

I joined geekhack when the "Rustler" sale was going and needed an account here to be able to enter. The fact that i didn`t win doesn`t mean stopped coming back here. But now, with this change, i feel left out, just for being the new guy around here. And you can't say i'm not supporting the maker when 35$ is about 10% of my monthly paycheck. For a keycap.. I wanted that keycap and show my appreaciation of his work.

In the end, i wonder how much this change means to Bro, because until now, with the raffle system, he could manage the amount of time put in this hobby by limiting the amount of caps made each round, or wait a bit longer when it comes to shipping the caps. It's not like we knew how many winners are each time. When the caps are made to order, there is a long waiting period until the shipment is done.

P.S It's funny to see how people react to someone posting an opinion that they don't agree with. Mentally ill... prick... that's how you help this community grow and welcome new users /s

I agree, and said it previously, the part that I hate here is not any particular change in rules but the way people treat others. My opinions differ on heaps of things around here, and in general. Sometimes that difference is so big it's hard to be in the same room with that person, but I still treat them as kindly as I would any other person. Call it "just how the internet" works or whatever in this case, but I still think putting others down like I've seen here is just wrong.

Secondly, on terms of actually winning a cap, it may never happen. I've been around a while and never won a cap from a sale, so don't feel left out by any means! That goes for all sales, it is just hard to get into some sales, which really makes the sales you do (or inevitably will) wil even more special!

Finally, I do think the point about the original announcement being a bit short was quite valid. I'm not saying there was any malice at all on Bro's part here, but when you make a rather big announcement (yes, I know, 100 posts really isn't any huge deal) I think that doing it a little more tactfully really could have prevented a lot of the frustration/anger/etc we say the other day, regardless of if it was deserved or not (anger, all undeserved imo). When a very short announcement is just posted to GH without any substantial info on "why" the changes are being made, of course Reddit in this case would explode. The situation was only made worse by deleting the account/making Bro caps private. I think a lot of this could have easily been avoided had a well written explanation been posted to reddit on the rule changes as well, directly engaging the people at reddit that would inevitably feel left out would have been a good move i think. At least for me, anytime Im updating a keycap set or project I'm working on, or doing a community interview with someone, etc, the first thing I usually do is post to the 3 big forums just to avoid any appearance that I'm leaving anyone out, even though that would never be my intention.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:26:49 »
I think a lot of this could have easily been avoided had a well written explanation been posted to reddit on the rule changes as well, directly engaging the people at reddit that would inevitably feel left out would have been a good move i think.

In case you missed it, I exactly did that, and was downvoted for it. You should definitely make it a point to read through things in their entirety before making a judgement.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:30:41 »
Funny fact : 3 pages and not a single DT user complained :)) We are gentleman ;)
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:34:28 »
I think a lot of this could have easily been avoided had a well written explanation been posted to reddit on the rule changes as well, directly engaging the people at reddit that would inevitably feel left out would have been a good move i think.

In case you missed it, I exactly did that, and was downvoted for it. You should definitely make it a point to read through things in their entirety before making a judgement.

Considering the reddit system it's hard to see posts that receive negative attention from the hivemind.
Unless of course someone from the hivemind makes a post to ridicule you. Then it reaches top of the sub.

I hate to say it (mostly because I post in /r/MK a lot too) but the community there can be kind of ****ty sometimes.

I enjoy talking to a lot of the people there but damn the entitlement is high for some.

I posted about how I was using my Alpha dogs as portables to /r/headphones and got **** for it since they're considered god tier by that community and I'm flaunting my money or whatever garbage they said.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:36:52 by GL1TCH3D »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:54:44 »

Considering the reddit system it's hard to see posts that receive negative attention from the hivemind.
Unless of course someone from the hivemind makes a post to ridicule you. Then it reaches top of the sub.

I hate to say it (mostly because I post in /r/MK a lot too) but the community there can be kind of ****ty sometimes.

I enjoy talking to a lot of the people there but damn the entitlement is high for some.

I posted about how I was using my Alpha dogs as portables to /r/headphones and got **** for it since they're considered god tier by that community and I'm flaunting my money or whatever garbage they said.

But not everyone is sh** there. There are close to 80,000 people in /r/mk alone, and while the loudest ones will always be the a**holes, the majority of people there (and here, and most other places) are all good people.

The sense of entitlement is high all over the place these days. Not just on r/mk, or other forums, or the internet, but everywhere. In this day and age we all feel entitled in some way and have to acknowledge those places in our own lives and fight that from coming out.

And being downvoted on reddit happens, doesn't mean that good people aren't reading it either. God knows I hardly ever vote for anything there, simply because its not my habit. Some of the coolest stuff gets downvoted in /r/mk (re: Kishsaver posted, downvoted for "what is this old piece of crap?!" haha). So as Glitched mentioned, yeah it may be hard to see due to the hivemind approach on some things, but it would at least be there to refer people to and calm the seas. If it doesnt stay up though, how would I know anything was ever posted? I'm not on 24/7 to check things. Is there anywhere I can find this post? I just looked and didnt see it?

Offline My_Thoughts

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 11:57:34 »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:00:07 »

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:02:23 »
A reply to Bro's post:

[–]ptrckstwrt 5 points 1 day ago
It would appear that he's deleted his account instead of trying to communicate.

Lmao that got 4 upvotes hahahaha yeah...

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:17:00 »
Is there anywhere I can find this post? I just looked and didnt see it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3q21l3/change_to_brobro_sale_rules/cwbg85q

Oh I saw that, and it was a great response. All I was saying is that posting an explanation there along with the rule change to the home page yourself along side the GH post before certain things could be taken out of context or blown out of proportion (which was inevitable) may have saved some trouble, instead of letting reddit find out by someone that ended up posting it who was obviously way, way to angry.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:17:47 »
So I started reading the letter and got fed up.

Seriously, Bro is just one man. Let him do his thing.

To Bro: Keep doing you! I am loving all the Lycan and Grumpkin pictures! :thumb:

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:20:23 »

But not everyone is sh** there. There are close to 80,000 people in /r/mk alone, and while the loudest ones will always be the a**holes, the majority of people there (and here, and most other places) are all good people.

The sense of entitlement is high all over the place these days. Not just on r/mk, or other forums, or the internet, but everywhere. In this day and age we all feel entitled in some way and have to acknowledge those places in our own lives and fight that from coming out.

And being downvoted on reddit happens, doesn't mean that good people aren't reading it either. God knows I hardly ever vote for anything there, simply because its not my habit. Some of the coolest stuff gets downvoted in /r/mk (re: Kishsaver posted, downvoted for "what is this old piece of crap?!" haha). So as Glitched mentioned, yeah it may be hard to see due to the hivemind approach on some things, but it would at least be there to refer people to and calm the seas. If it doesnt stay up though, how would I know anything was ever posted? I'm not on 24/7 to check things. Is there anywhere I can find this post? I just looked and didnt see it?

Yeah

I know people like kudos and rjmana are much more active on reddit and I love talking to them there and having discussions.

However I hate the classifieds there and there are a fair number of users that are just a-holes. It's the only place where I've had people follow me for weeks to downvote me to the point that an admin stepped in.

It's just my experience that discussions with the average redditor are that they're far more entitled. Try making any kind of conser

Back on topic.

Hard to see stuff on reddit because of the way that it works. Not sure if Bro deleted his post about the changes or anything.
I imagine that the users that are mad are only so because they don't agree with it, not that they didn't see it.
However not everyone did see it there because of the way reddit works =/

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:23:50 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/3q21l3/change_to_brobro_sale_rules/cwbg85q

Oh I saw that, and it was a great response. All I was saying is that posting an explanation there along with the rule change to the home page yourself along side the GH post before certain things could be taken out of context or blown out of proportion (which was inevitable) may have saved some trouble, instead of letting reddit find out by someone that ended up posting it who was obviously way, way to angry.

you should legit read about circle-jerks and how they have ruined all sub reddits. There is a narrative in r/mk that grew from a single user and that narrative has never changed, all subs have a narrative when they form, but that changes and the circle-jerk changes to something else.
If you ever wanted a clear sign to see that the world is populated by mindless morons it's Reddit, it's brainless subs switch from one circle-jerk to the next following which ever community member is prevalent at the time.
Happens in r/starcraft r/diablo r/formula1 r/wec r/mk r/srs /worldnews etc etc etc etc etc
Bro couldn't have done anything more than what he has done, expecting him to be able to fight back against what Reddit, a million $ company, with millions of hits a day and millions of users is, is insane.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:40:15 »

you should legit read about circle-jerks and how they have ruined all sub reddits. There is a narrative in r/mk that grew from a single user and that narrative has never changed, all subs have a narrative when they form, but that changes and the circle-jerk changes to something else.
If you ever wanted a clear sign to see that the world is populated by mindless morons it's Reddit, it's brainless subs switch from one circle-jerk to the next following which ever community member is prevalent at the time.
Happens in r/starcraft r/diablo r/formula1 r/wec r/mk r/srs /worldnews etc etc etc etc etc
Bro couldn't have done anything more than what he has done, expecting him to be able to fight back against what Reddit, a million $ company, with millions of hits a day and millions of users is, is insane.

I think the reddit format works well for some stuff like pictures and funny photos but that's about it - the way that content is sorted based on "hotness" makes any meaningful discussion basically impossible - especially when all the content is just photos anyway with no meaningful commentary

The amount of people over there who blindly follow their divine leader without any self examination is mind-boggling - just look at the amount of users using the term Geekwhack who have never ever been here.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:43:14 »

I think the reddit format works well for some stuff like pictures and funny photos but that's about it - the way that content is sorted based on "hotness" makes any meaningful discussion basically impossible - especially when all the content is just photos anyway with no meaningful commentary

The amount of people over there who blindly follow their divine leader without any self examination is mind-boggling - just look at the amount of users using the term Geekwhack who have never ever been here.

I think it's awful to be honest.

Vote. If you think something contributes to conversation, upvote it. If you think it does not contribute to the subreddit it is posted in or is off-topic in a particular community, downvote it.

Isn't that what the report button is for?  To want upvote and downvote to mean something drastically different without communicating it (let's be real, I'd bet that less than 5% of users even know what 'reddiquette' is, and even then, it makes no sense) is just a flawed system.  People downvote **** they don't like all the damn time.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:48:17 »

Completely agree! /r/mk could be /r/mkphotos honestly. The different formats really make all of the forums extremely useful for different things. Running a legitimate Interest Check/Group Buy on reddit with the way it is formatted is nearly impossible, for example. I was basically getting at the point that a basic PR move would be to post up there right when you post changes on other forums simply to "watch your own back/prevent the appearance of not caring"  due to the fact that the rule changes did affect a lot of people there as well.

There are plenty of people here that blindly follow things as well, again, that will happen and sometimes it can be easy for any of us to jump on a bandwagon without really looking at the details and making our own conclusions just because we stick with our friends, tl:dr, or whatever. I sure know I'm no exception or perfect example.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:54:45 »
People downvote **** they don't like all the damn time.

This is the biggest issue

Bro was downvoted because they didn't like his rule change and not because of anything else.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:58:07 »

Bro was downvoted because they didn't like his rule change and not because of anything else.

You cant let votes determine your actions though. God knows what votes here would look like if they existed  :eek:

I mean, people downvote Hoff there constantly just because "hes that GH guy -_-" haha. I would get downvoted constantly when I'd come behind ripster and actually encourage people to get on GH, or mock him for calling it GW, etc. You can't take votes personally, thats just silly  :p

Offline CaplockJack

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:11:21 »
Has Geekhack ever tried an Upvote only system?

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:16:21 »

this community is constantly evolving, there are always a whole bunch of losers, and a whole bunch of cool people; sometimes it's just harder to see which is which.

I just don't understand what the op is trying to achieve by doing this...

Isn't it obvious? Only 55 more open letters to Bro and he'll have 100 posts.

I think the effort to write the long letter was way more than just writing 100 posts.

This timeses infinity.

Elite of the elite.

Show Image

This dude only took 3 months to hit 100 post.

I've entered a bunch of bro sales over the course of quite some time and only won once.
Feeling left out for not being here for three months[=100posts] is ridiculous.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:17:08 »

You cant let votes determine your actions though. God knows what votes here would look like if they existed  :eek:

I mean, people downvote Hoff there constantly just because "hes that GH guy -_-" haha. I would get downvoted constantly when I'd come behind ripster and actually encourage people to get on GH, or mock him for calling it GW, etc. You can't take votes personally, thats just silly  :p

I still post.
I don't care if I get -100 on a comment (you can see my comments on hardwareswap for an example. Or don't because I was partially trolling towards the end)
but you also can't help but feel unwanted in the community if everything you post is downvoted.
I hate downvote / upvote systems because people don't even man up enough to tell you why they think you're wrong. You make a good argument with logical points and some hiveminder will downvote you with no counter argument.
At a certain point I don't blame people for not wanting to be there.

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:18:45 »

This dude only took 3 months to hit 100 post.

I've entered a bunch of bro sales over the course of quite some time and only won once.
Feeling left out for not being here for three months[=100posts] is ridiculous.

That's still not even that fast!

That's a touch over 1 post per day =(

Offline happyturtlee

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:19:24 »
I'm not entirely sure what is going on here but I wanted to add my .02 as a new member/lurker. My interest in mechanical keyboards did not start until earlier this year and I'm usually not the type of person to post online very often. I was the last of my close friends to buy a mechanical keyboard and it's been a cool bonding experience chatting about this hobby day to day. I've also been trying to collect a variety of artisans, and I have to say as someone who recently joined the community, it's pretty difficult getting rarer artisans with nothing valuable to trade. That being said, when I heard that I would need 100 posts on Geekhack to enter the next Brocaps raffle, I was disappointed at first. But now I think it's a new opportunity for me to be more vocal about a hobby I really enjoy. It's a chance to contribute more to the community in positive ways. The rule change is only going to have a negative effect if you choose to have a bad attitude about it and hopefully we can just give each other the benefit of the doubt that most of us just want to have fun and get along.

This turned out cheesier than I thought but idgaf.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:26:38 »
I'm not entirely sure what is going on here but I wanted to add my .02 as a new member/lurker. My interest in mechanical keyboards did not start until earlier this year and I'm usually not the type of person to post online very often. I was the last of my close friends to buy a mechanical keyboard and it's been a cool bonding experience chatting about this hobby day to day. I've also been trying to collect a variety of artisans, and I have to say as someone who recently joined the community, it's pretty difficult getting rarer artisans with nothing valuable to trade. That being said, when I heard that I would need 100 posts on Geekhack to enter the next Brocaps raffle, I was disappointed at first. But now I think it's a new opportunity for me to be more vocal about a hobby I really enjoy. It's a chance to contribute more to the community in positive ways. The rule change is only going to have a negative effect if you choose to have a bad attitude about it and hopefully we can just give each other the benefit of the doubt that most of us just want to have fun and get along.

This turned out cheesier than I thought but idgaf.

This guy gets it. :thumb: