Author Topic: An open letter to BroCaps  (Read 42402 times)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
Re: An open letter to BroCaps
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 14:10:41 »

So right now, my comments aren't much...

That part ain't true, breh. Your comment means as much as anyone else's, if not more~ See, what's important is you went out of your way and gave effort to understand and had empathy, even if it meant an unfavorable situation for you. That's some awesome stuff, IMO.

Kudos to you <3

Thanks man. I wouldn't consider it unfavorable. It's just I don't feel entitled and believe that there should be more constructive contributions. Not just someone running over here to make an account just so they can qualify to buy a cap. Of course I'm 40 and our generation never had this sense of entitlement. Go figure.

Agreed. I may not be 40, but I never grew up being told everyone is a winner. 

Like I said in my main post, even if someone spams their way through to 100 posts, IMO, it's still shows the bare minimum effort Bro is asking for on his home turf (GH). He just wants one to show the smallest amount of standardized proof that they want to a part of this~ he is just trying to weed out even one person who is just wanting to flip this for a pretty penny. Yet, people want to cry about even the smallest amount of work. They have no respect or empathy for what he's trying to do. They just see something pretty and they feel entitled to have it. SMH.

What's going on in here??? I've been gone since last Thurs-...

Show Image

Linked is an open letter I wrote to BroCaps, sharing my thoughts on his recent decision. https://docs.google.com/document/d/10p4yXHPI2WdkPR_AS3azhhHG9p4UU3e1wB1staKOLMQ/edit?usp=sharing

Show Image
Uhh...

I usually don't respond to these things, and I try to stay out of the drama... but man... these days, the self-entitlement and general attitude of some people really disgusts me...

I mean, I know many people have already expressed this but I just don't understand why ironpup didn't realize this... that the amount of effort he/she put into that open letter... he/she would have way over 100 posts... LOL! Unfortunately, ironpup only wants to express his/her frustration at being denied of immediate gratification. I mean look at the fact that he/she posted an angry rant and doesn't even bother to respond back to the responses he/she got... I mean, really??? This is a clear demonstration of his/her repulsive neediness and selfishness. The way I see it, he/she has no respect for this community or artisans/creators. Bro Caps is also a fellow hobbyist before anything else, just like all of us. He is only but one man who creates these amazing keycaps out of love and passion for the hobby, which he pours his all into. What's wrong with him wanting some form of standardized proof that the buyer has appreciation for his work and the keyboard hobby in general. Many people want these limited caps, and he wants it to go to people he knows cares. He can't go through every person's posts on Reddit, DT, GH or every other place. He, like everyone else, has his own life with limited time and energy.Therefore, he set GH as the standard because this is his hometown. What is so wrong with that? inb4 buttherearemorepplonreddit. LOL. If you're thinking that, you're missing the point. Really.

It's also really not exclusivity. He's not saying people on Reddit, DT, or anywhere else can't buy or participate. He just asks you to have a mere 100 posts on GH... you can do that in a day or two... What is so hard about expressing your passion for keyboards and keycaps in 100 posts. There are so many different threads about all kinds of things on this forum. Ask a question, share some opinions on something someone wrote, express your opinions on someone's photos, post a photo, post ANYTHING. HECK, express your dislike for something. ironpup literally could've started this thread with one sentence, expressing disdain for this new rule, and then just replied to every response he/she got in this thread... ironpup would have over 100 posts by now. See how easy it would've been? It's so bloody easy to hit 100 posts while being "constructive". 

I really could pick apart the entire open letter and point out how... "unthoughtful" it was, and how he acts like he talks on behalf of some legitimate authority... but I'll stop here because I'll only be repeating more of what others said... "So I, a relatively established member of this community..." LOLOLOL! *facepalm*

tl;dr - We're all here because of a shared passion, and all Bro asks of you is for you to show some of that in the form of a mere 100 posts. Is that too much to ask? I think not.
TLDR

HAHAHAHA. I <3 you, ApocMaow... but fight me. RITE MAOW!!! 1v1 me, brewski.

i know u read it, bb <3

ApocalypseMaow,

YOU WILL READ EVERY WORD THAT VesperSAINT WROTE IN THAT POST!!! It's so rare nowadays that he expresses himself verbally, as it is usually GIFs. Why miss the rare chance to read his thoughts in written form?!

:P

I missed his GIFs though!

As for established member, @Vesper https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76404.0;topicseen

I missed you, Belfongbae <3

Thanks for the link. LOL!
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 14:13:14 by VesperSAINT »

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:27:45 »
vesper, do you love me

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #252 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:30:37 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jonathanyu

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #254 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:41:51 »
I think what happened is that an individual that was angry, disappointed, misinformed, and possibly suffering from a bit of groupthink, was able to write and post something online before taking the time to process the information and calm down. If someone is in that state of mind and people start throwing hate at him/her, then they’re not likely change the individual’s mind, get the person to admit any fault, or calm down. If someone comes in with this mindset and you want to change their mind, then you have to approach the situation with some tact. Responding with sarcasm, anger, and name-calling is not likely to yield any positive results, only drive the person to dig in their heels or leave the conversation entirely. If someone comes into a situation and is misinformed, then an appropriate response would be to try to educate them on the situation. Yes, maybe they should have looked everything up on their own before posting something, but we’ve established that this person was likely in an emotional state (we’ve all been there) and people tend to do unwise things when feeling this way. If they are a troll, then at least you tried to help someone out before resorting to making them feel like a terrible person.

I don’t enjoy seeing people online act as if there is not an actual person on the receiving end of comments. Even if a person is in the wrong, I don’t like the idea of a person taking cheap-shots from people under the guise of educating him or her. If you want to help someone understand how their thinking was incorrect or how his or her reaction was out of proportion with the scope of incident, then someone is going to have to swallow their pride and resist the temptation to mix insults into what they say.

I am beginning to really enjoy this community, and I am going to assume that some of the negative and overly aggressive things people have said in threads like this one are not the norm for said individuals. I think it was a minority that thought throwing around accusation of mental illness, and I was happy to see that nipped in the bud by the community. If the person that posted the open letter does comes back here, let’s approach the situation with more grace. Hopefully we’ll receive the same.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #255 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 16:59:01 »
vesper, do you love me

...yes <3

Show Image

jd posting anime gifs... ON POINT EVEN!!! DATS MA FETISH <3

Show Image

perfect response gif. amazing ~ i expect nothing less, my loves.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #256 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:04:03 »
I think what happened is that an individual that was angry, disappointed, misinformed, and possibly suffering from a bit of groupthink, was able to write and post something online before taking the time to process the information and calm down. If someone is in that state of mind and people start throwing hate at him/her, then they’re not likely change the individual’s mind, get the person to admit any fault, or calm down. If someone comes in with this mindset and you want to change their mind, then you have to approach the situation with some tact. Responding with sarcasm, anger, and name-calling is not likely to yield any positive results, only drive the person to dig in their heels or leave the conversation entirely. If someone comes into a situation and is misinformed, then an appropriate response would be to try to educate them on the situation. Yes, maybe they should have looked everything up on their own before posting something, but we’ve established that this person was likely in an emotional state (we’ve all been there) and people tend to do unwise things when feeling this way. If they are a troll, then at least you tried to help someone out before resorting to making them feel like a terrible person.

I don’t enjoy seeing people online act as if there is not an actual person on the receiving end of comments. Even if a person is in the wrong, I don’t like the idea of a person taking cheap-shots from people under the guise of educating him or her. If you want to help someone understand how their thinking was incorrect or how his or her reaction was out of proportion with the scope of incident, then someone is going to have to swallow their pride and resist the temptation to mix insults into what they say.

I am beginning to really enjoy this community, and I am going to assume that some of the negative and overly aggressive things people have said in threads like this one are not the norm for said individuals. I think it was a minority that thought throwing around accusation of mental illness, and I was happy to see that nipped in the bud by the community. If the person that posted the open letter does comes back here, let’s approach the situation with more grace. Hopefully we’ll receive the same.

Do you not see the irony and hypocrisy in your post? You make some good points, but allow me to offer a different perspective.

BroCaps is operated by a single person who pours their time, passion, and energy into their works, and is at liberty to choose how they wish to distribute their work.

So when you mention how we shouldn't voice our opinions regarding what I consider to be an overly-entitled attitude, then I guess you should consider the reverse, and how BroCaps has to exert additional time and efforts to deal with people who can't be bothered to make a healthy contribution to the GH community with a measly 100 posts.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:14:47 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #257 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:06:40 »
vesper, do you love me

Show Image
...yes <3

Show Image

jd posting anime gifs... ON POINT EVEN!!! DATS MA FETISH <3

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

perfect response gif. amazing ~ i expect nothing less, my loves.

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #258 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:18:27 »

Do you not see the irony and hypocrisy in your post? You make some good points, but allow me to offer a different perspective.

BroCaps is operated by a single person who pours their time, passion, and energy into his works, and is at liberty to choose how he wishes to distribute his work.

So when you mention how we shouldn't voice our opinions regarding what I consider to be an overly-entitled attitude, then I guess you should consider the reverse, and how BroCaps has to exert additional time and efforts to deal with people who can't be bothered to make a healthy contribution to the GH community with a measly 100 posts.

Sorry, I suppose I didn't bother to mention that I am full support of Bro maker fewer caps in order to spend more time with his family. I was not agreeing with the sentiment of the person that wrote the open letter, nor do I have a problem with Bro's decision to limit access. I understand that he makes all of the caps himself, and that he does so out of a passion for this community and as a hobby, not a business. The first post I made about this topic was on reddit, trying to explain to the author exactly the circumstances (as far as I understood them) that led to this decision. Sometimes I forget what I've posted online and what I've only thought in my own head.

I didn't see that you had bolded that sentence of my post earlier so I'll try to address what I was trying to get at. I realize that the author of the open letter was acting as if Bro wasn't a real person. I was just trying to say that I want us to try our best to not do the same.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:41:30 by Kerpadge »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #259 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:46:26 »

pretty much this.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:56:25 »
Another incredibly self-entitled post, that seems to be the norm.

Notice that you make this all about YOU. This decision isn't about YOU, it's not about anyone else. It's about ME. So please kindly step down from your high horse.
I am not a company that has to provide customers with an expected product amount, or set goals of sales, etc. I am one person, me, myself and I. Occasionally my
mother helps me out when I was trying to provide to a larger audience. I decided to step back from that, as it was taking time away from my family and personal
things. Sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but hey, as I said: FEEL FREE TO BUY FROM OTHER ARTISANS, nobody is forcing you to buy anything from me.

It's pretty ridiculous how you and several others seem to feel I asked you to donate an organ. I asked you to meet a fairly simple post requirement here. If you don't
like my rules, don't participate. What was the purpose or expectation, really, to posting this? I already covered each and every point, that you and others chose to ignore
because it didn't meet your personal expectations of what you think I should do, according to you.

To your points of me copying k3? Just.... lol. Really, there is no other expression that I can think of for that, and that's the last I will speak of that piece of trash.

My actions aren't dividing anything. Again, it's my own personal decision to do this, and I don't owe you or anyone else an explanation. If you want to go and buy
terrible versions of my caps from an untalented thief, feel free to do so.

How much are you over-doing this? I mean, seriously. 100 posts on geekhack = end of the world times?

So you could take the time to post this, expressing your dislike for my own personal decision, that actually doesn't really affect anyone other than self-entitled complainers,
but you couldn't take the time to participate in discussions or the community here? Ridiculous, if you ask me.

Hey - don't buy my products, and spread the word! I am not here as a business, I am still a hobbyist and I love this forum.

Why don't I like r/mk? Go look at the scathing commentary and vileness that exists. On top of it being managed by a narcissistic forum troll, that supports counterfeiters.
Hell, he even stickied a k3 sale post once. Sorry, but I don't want to be a part of that.

So tl;dr, sorry to see you go, but my decision is final.

<3

:thumb:

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #261 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 23:42:47 »
An open letter to BroCaps

115218-0

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #262 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 00:25:29 »

Offline jonathanyu

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #264 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:06:38 »
I admire my brother's creativity and diligence in searching for the appropriate images to be posted.

The mark of a death threat or soon to be dead one is when gif images entirely replace careful writing and reading.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:08:30 »
I admire my brother's creativity and diligence in searching for the appropriate images to be posted.

The mark of a death threat or soon to be dead one is when gif images entirely replace careful writing and reading.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline zlittell

• My Projects
« Reply #266 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 09:37:40 »
It always saddens me when I am browsing GH at work... None of these sweet sweet imgur GIFs show up.  Just lots of X'd boxes and lols.  :'(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #267 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:11:28 »
It always saddens me when I am browsing GH at work... None of these sweet sweet imgur GIFs show up.  Just lots of X'd boxes and lols.  :'(

You need a way around your corporate firewall, like a VPN service. ;)

in memoriam

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #268 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:34:24 »

y'fired
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Kerpadge

« Reply #269 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 10:42:13 »

1. Buy Raspberry Pi.
2. Look up guides to program it as a VPN.
3. Connect and route all internet traffic through your home network from anywhere.
4. Enjoy all the gifs!

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #270 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:14:07 »
So wait what happened? I think I missed something. After 100 posts what do we get to do?

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #271 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:39:56 »
So wait what happened? I think I missed something. After 100 posts what do we get to do?
After 50 post you can enter the raffles/sales for a chance at winning a brocap
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More