Author Topic: Best site to buy a custom ergodox keycap set  (Read 6031 times)

Offline jjones2

Best site to buy a custom ergodox keycap set
« on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 17:30:36 »
Hey,

So recently I had Mr.Bishop build a custom ergodox keyboard and I need to get a set of keycaps for it, and wanted to see if anyone has any recomendations on where to buy the caps.

The problem that I am running into is that every site I visit is not designed for ergonomic keyboards and to get a set for the ergodox i have to spend  over 80 bucks to get something simi customized. I really would like to fully customize my keycaps like you can do on WASD but I also want to get the ergodox modifier keys to match. On most sites I found you have to get blanks for the modifiers.

If anyone could suggest some sites I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

jjones2

Offline jjones2

Re: Best site to buy a custom ergodox keycap set
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 September 2016, 17:38:04 »
So I just found a thread on ergodox keysets (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=80540.msg2237884#msg2237884) hopefully there will be something in there that can point me in the direction I am trying to go.

Also if anyone has any old ergodox keysets they no longer use I am not against new to me items, so if you have some you may wanna sale hit me up.

thanks

Offline Axiomatik

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 September 2016, 20:59:11 »
depends on when you need the caps. If you're patient Massdrop.com will have the best caps.

EDIT: pimpmykeyboard.com has ergodox sets available right now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 September 2016, 21:01:41 by Axiomatik »
-Axiomatik

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 September 2016, 02:51:08 »
No, Massdrop won't have the best caps. They sometimes offer "pretty" caps from Signature Plastics, but they're not the only source for that (see, e.g., 7bit's Round 5+ @ Deskthority), which features sculpted SA sets for the ErgoDox among other things).

I recommend getting individual DCS keycaps (probably from Pimp My Keyboard) in a configuration similar to whatever is on ErgoDox EZ. It's reasonably sculpted, but very thin among other issues. Personally, I prefer to make my own sets from harvested thick Cherry Corp.'s keycaps.